Sign in to follow this  
LockDOwn

Why is this game not more popular?

yup. arma 2 is great for coop play. infact the best coop game IMHO.

They need to "tighten" the CQC engine so it feels a bit like bad company 2 in terms of animations and sound. Keep the realistic recoil etc but just make teh overal CQC more like bad company 2

Needs better marketing, though, then you'd get the MW2 kiddies in here who think it's hilarious to TK one another.

Oktane you can speak for me on this subject anytime.

allot of these communities are filled with Elitists that take it all way to seriously and make you feel stupid for not know what they do. It really does turn you off to the game.

I'd say that's #1 and #2 is that most servers do run a mod or more and it doesn't really tell you what mod but instead leaves you with a few files your missing from the mod in question leaving you to Google trying to figure out what mod you need only to come back and realize you need another too.

Edited by callihn

Why ARMA 2 isn't more popular....

I think it comes down to what I've been starting to think / realize lately....ARMA doesn't do anything "great" enough. As a tactical CQC shooter if falls way short...(hell, there aren't really any inside bldg enviroments an the AI doesn't allow for it)...and on the other side, for a larger scale operations involving Mech as well as Infantry sims such as CMSF do a much better and realistic job....

What ARMA2 does offer, fantastically better than any other SIM out there is mod-ability.

The user interface for small scale infantry tactics (especially with multiple fire Teams) is also terribly cumbersome.

Edited by meade95

;1627863']Needs better marketing' date=' though, then you'd get the MW2 kiddies in here who think it's hilarious to TK one another.[/quote']

"Noob tube!" "Drop shot!" "Hard scope!" "Quick scope!" :D

"Noob tube!" "Drop shot!" "Hard scope!" "Quick scope!" :D

Dolphin dive Hey looks guyz I can dive down and snipe you across the map with my 9mm pistol while in full combat gear.

Call of Duty stop teaching our tikes fake physics!

Please guys, stop hating on games and their players that aren't even meant to do what Arma 2 does. There are a million things that are wrong in this community and its members so keep it down.

Please guys, stop hating on games and their players that aren't even meant to do what Arma 2 does. There are a million things that are wrong in this community and its members so keep it down.

We're having a laugh, calm down party-pooper.

;1642350']We're having a laugh' date=' calm down party-pooper.[/quote']

I'm sure you are, and it's disgraceful.

I'm sure you are, and it's disgraceful.

Dolphin diving is exploiting the game engine.

Really no different then gliching into objects and such.

People who do it are just cheating until the develelopers get around to fixing the problem is ever....

Dolphin diving is exploiting the game engine.

Really no different then gliching into objects and such.

People who do it are just cheating until the develelopers get around to fixing the problem is ever....

Do you think that a BF2 player can dolphin dive in Arma 2, or what does that have to do with bashing different genres?

In games like BF2 you never really know if stuff like dolphin diving and circle strafing were intended to be a part of the game or not, and in the end they are a part of the game and do not really give an unfair advantage as everyone can do them equally. Would the game be cooler if it didn't have those? IMO yes, but some people who actually like playing the game might disagree, so there's no definite thing here.

If you had stuff like dolphin diving in Arma 2, though, it would be obvious that it wasn't intended, because it is very clear how Arma 2 *should* be, as it's more of a realistic game (some go as far as saying "simulator") rather than "just a game". For better and for worse.

In games like BF2 you never really know if stuff like dolphin diving and circle strafing were intended to be a part of the game or not

Dophin diving in BF2 was not intended. They fixed it pretty good in BF2142

and patched it in BF2 but people with gaming keyboards with macros have found a way around it.

It's an exploit clear and simple just like C4 and RDX whoring in 2142 when Friendly fire is OFF.

The world is full of assholes, hard to blame a game for that.

Well, I always wanted to get this game, but I didnt because I tried the demo and my comp wouldnt handle it. I'm working on fixing up a new one though so I'm gonna buy it when it comes out in retail with the new expansion. So, basically, the lag monster scared me away

Perhaps becuase it is terribly difficult game.

Setting the keyboard assignment can drive someone mad, this has made me unninstal ArmA and ArmA2 several times.

Tehre are so many mods that it required constant update and the system to do so it´s very complicated for non IT-skilled players.

The movement of the player in the game in first person is amazingly claustrophobic. It seems you aretrying to move a telephone box instead of a soldier.

If you go to multiplayer and do not have a squad just find people waiting for a chopper than never comes and shooting each other due to boredom.

Despite all of this i think it has to be a good game for those who know how to sort out all these problems.

I dream of the day i can sit down and play OPF, Arma, Arma 2 without problem, in the meantime i keep these games waiting on the shelf in my cave. Hopefully BI will work more on these aspects like making games more user friendly, etc.

AH, other thing. I could not find people who want to play from the point of view of insurgency. That would be great, just pure guerrilla fighting, just aks, rpks, rpgs, strellas, EFPs, IEDs,...etc, against more advanced civilizations ;)

Setting the keyboard assignment can drive someone mad, this has made me unninstal ArmA and ArmA2 several times.

Seriously? I play with default keyboard setup, only key i have adjusted is one of the ACE keys which my keyboard didn't like :eek:

Tehre are so many mods that it required constant update and the system to do so it´s very complicated for non IT-skilled players.

Use SiX updater or YOMA addon sync then its just a matter of a few clicks.

The movement of the player in the game in first person is amazingly claustrophobic. It seems you aretrying to move a telephone box instead of a soldier.

It's called first person view :confused:

If you go to multiplayer and do not have a squad just find people waiting for a chopper than never comes and shooting each other due to boredom.

Try read the info about the mission your playing, to me it sounds like your playing Domination without knowing how it works. There's different versions but many of them have teleport and parachute options to allow player getting fast to the action zone.

The reason this game isn't popular is because:

Realistic (to a degree of course, a C-130 also shattering to pieces when you bail out and have it crash into seven T-35's would be better.)

Glitchy (Need I say more?)

Complicated (WSAD F R G and Click just isn't enough anymore...)

Too Limiting (We get why you can't jump, but why can't you atleast climb ontop of stuff? I mean V to hop over fences is ok... [another thing, AI characters pass right through them, wth?] but we would like to also be able to climb ontop of stuff! Climb on box, climb on outhouse, climb on roof of house, snipe. Or atleast climb into a truck bed or into the back of a plane without the help of Community moderators.)

Slightly boring playthrough (Think Far Cry 2, just, less enemies, more friends, nobody but friends running you over.)

and probably one of the most important,

Liberal media's hate pro-war games with a long, drawn out and serious playthrough. (No General Shepherd in this... Just... Some generic dude. Come on, Cooper? I wanna be Staff Sergeant Donovan, or Gunnery Sergeant Emery...)

And finally... The marketing was pretty poor.

If there was an actual Flashpointlike sp campaigne, I`d still be playing this game. The included sp campaigne for ARMA 2 sux balls.

If there was an actual Flashpointlike sp campaigne, I`d still be playing this game. The included sp campaigne for ARMA 2 sux balls.

It is rather bland; black and white, isn't it? Go here, blow this up, go there, investigate this and that, go somewhere else, ohhh too late pal you lose. That's pretty much it.

- poor marketing.

I only knew it was released when I saw it on the shelves. I didnt play any BIS games before that, except I bought OFP way back and didnt have a good enough pc to play it on :p It seems to be the same with OA so far, If you dont already know or arent a member on one of these forums your unlikey to know until you happen to see it in the shops.

So you would still be playing the campaign over and over and over a year after ArmA 2 was released... lol.

FYI: Theres user made missions/campaigns, theres MP and theres also an editor :eek:

- poor marketing.

I only knew it was released when I saw it on the shelves. I didnt play any BIS games before that, except I bought OFP way back and didnt have a good enough pc to play it on :p It seems to be the same with OA so far, If you dont already know or arent a member on one of these forums your unlikey to know until you happen to see it in the shops.

Well OA has been getting some exposure . Most of all major gaming sites have done a preview of it , someone said that there was an advert in the US PC GAMER .

This game is beautiful to look at and is a very good sim as well. So why isn't more popular? As it is now, I only play weekends because not many people are online during the week.

Is it because...

- poor marketing.

- AI in many multi player games?

- Lack of dedicated servers for online PvP games?

What do you think they could do to improve the low population online?..

- Dedicate servers.

- Develop a massive population server.

- Increase squad membership by hooding squad stats on the Arma site?

- Make it for realistic by adding true ballistics?

What do you guys think?

As an Australian I would say there are several reasons why its not so popular with gamers here.

- Lack of local servers, its not so easy getting good ping rates to servers overseas. Not impossible but it does make things harder. I am not fan of CoD but I do know of local servers making MP much easier.

- I think poor marketing is a factor, most people I talk to have never heard of this game. Everyone knows CoD and other similar games, but nobody seems to know ArmA.

- Major factor in my opinion would be bugs, if someone does know about ArmA but isn't sure to by that or CoD or other similar games they'll probably read reviews, and just about any review you read will talk about the major bugs in this game. I've read posts saying forget SP and just do MP but that doesn't necessarily suit everyone (as I said its harder in Australia anyway) and people still feel like they are only buying maybe half a game when SP doesn't work. You buy a whole game and expect all of it to work, not just one part. When people buy CoD they get a game that works SP and MP, if ArmA and BI want to compete they need to clean up the bugs more before release, its obvious. Read reviews and you will see why people who may be interested in ArmA get turned away.

I realise BI is aiming high with what ArmA is all about but not everyone cares about that. Great graphics and great ideas on actual gameplay are wasted if people find it difficult to play either due to bugs or lack of MP servers in their area to play on. I believe in the future BI is on to a real winner with ArmA2 because its gameplay and realism is way beyond what any other games do or are even attempting to do. For now its seen by many people as a very bug ridden game and most will turn towards games like CoD with massive amounts of support, MP Servers, less bugs, and a seemingly endless new versions every 6 months and despite the fact it's gameplay is inferior to anyone who has given ArmA a try. CoD wins because it caters to the dumb masses and gives them a constant supply of new content, at a price of course, that's what people want.

I know many people on this forum will stick up for BI and claim ArmA 2 to be the greatest game out but that doesn't really help BI address some genuine issues this game has. You can love ArmA and claim to of never experienced a problem but the wider community doesn't agree.

Want this game to be as popular than games like CoD, then address its problems and stop pretending it doesn't have an.

One note, to be honest I have no idea how stable/bug free CoD or other games are as I've never played any of them, never been in to FPS other than Outlaws, Call of Juarez, and now ArmA. What I do know is when I read a review on CoD they talk about how great it is, when I read a review on ArmA they say how great it is except it has so many bugs.

My advice to anyone is to find the bugs, report and wine about them all you like but not because you hate BI and ArmA, but because you love it and want to see a great idea improve even more and succeed in beating games like CoD in the popularity stakes.

Edited by Engioc