Sign in to follow this  
Archamedes

Arma 2 1.06 Patch Suggestions

Ok I got some.

1. Fix 5.1 sound and blend the directions nice and smooth. As it is right now I can only play with headphones since my speakers don't work as they should, which is a shame because I have awesome speakers. The sound hardly ever comes from the right source and the middle top speaker works every other full moon.

2. No panting/heavy breathing when you zoom. I just concentrate, I don't hold my breath while squeezing my balls ffs. Squinting isn't that exhausting in real life.

3. First aid working out of the box plus respawning. Sometimes I get injured and ask my friends to kill me because it's impossible to play when my weapon sways like this. When I try to use the first aid, clearance etc modules in my missions the game works weird.

4. Sync weather effects in MP and COOP. I can't remember how many times I start in a nice stormy weather and peek at their screens to see that the weather isn't the same. I got mist they have rain. I can see 400 m and they can see 1000m. It's annoying. We are supposed to be in the same place.

5. Respawn tweak. When I die I sometimes appear with my sidearm in hand. And safety is on. And I face the other way too which is a bit disorienting.

6. Bring back chatter. I have the addon activated but after 1.04 battles are all silent again.

that's all I guess.

2. No panting/heavy breathing when you zoom. I just concentrate, I don't hold my breath while squeezing my balls ffs. Squinting isn't that exhausting in real life.

So change the "hold breath" to another button. Did that loooong time ago. Use when you need to hold your breath instead of when zooming. The breathing comes after a while of holding your breath so you should start breathing a bit heavier to catch up. But as i said you dont need it when zooming at least.

Oh shit there IS a hold breath function attached to rightmouse!!!?!!

I'll be damned!

Thanks man I just removed hold breath since I don't use it all that much!

Ok let me add another I just thought about.

Incremental speeds for all vehicles. You know, you hold the forward button for a while until you reach your desired speed and the speed remains there until you decide to brake or increase it again. It will allow for more creative aircraft handling and more precise control when it comes to land vehicles. It also makes sense.

Edited by Master gamawa

We urgently need either global inventory of vehicles or functions to get an inventory of vehicle!!!

---------- Post added at 23:06 ---------- Previous post was at 23:05 ----------

every normal MP game has such features! if Arma won't have it, this OFP engine will last not too long.

We urgently need either global inventory of vehicles or functions to get an inventory of vehicle!!!

every normal MP game has such features! if Arma won't have it, this OFP engine will last not too long.

What do you mean?

Please alter the 1.05 bug that seems to stop AI squadmates coming out of danger mode, preferably before the next patch if possible as just a hotfix, its really frustrating now :(

Please alter the 1.05 bug that seems to stop AI squadmates coming out of danger mode, preferably before the next patch if possible as just a hotfix, its really frustrating now :(

That happened to me today for the first time. I just started the Bitter Chill story and my guys are locked on danger mode. It takes ages to move.

I managed to finish it anyway and went on to the big war mission and now it's impossible to play.

Ok I got some.

4. Sync weather effects in MP and COOP. I can't remember how many times I start in a nice stormy weather and peek at their screens to see that the weather isn't the same. I got mist they have rain. I can see 400 m and they can see 1000m. It's annoying. We are supposed to be in the same place.

I agree, it is insanely problematic. However, mission designers can do their own sync if they need to (but I guess usually neglected), via own weather system scripting. A builtin sync could prove problematic. What if I want "proper winds"? Or full control over rain (that one's a bitch).

Winds seem to be directly connected to overcast. Where I live we can have strong winds (way above Arma winds) even during severe clear weather. And thunderstorms (prior to any gust fronts) can be no winds at all. Normally I prefer to setup a general wind direction and force, changing "on my command" (scripts). This info is sent to all clients. Then all clients run a little modifier on the wind angle, to prevent too uniform looking smoke. For a spotter reading wind values to the sniper, or simply ordering to shoot when conditions are right, they will have slightly different wind. Not 100% correct, but it simulates a harder shot (if ever slightly) as wind downrange may often differ from wind at final firing position, which can't be simulated.

As for rain... Oh boy! BIS, can we please have a 30 second delay or something before the engine starts overriding? If I want steady low rain at i.e. overcast value of 0.81, each client has to set this several times per second in order to prevent engine override being obvious with its constant visibility fading effect. Transition times are also hard to do "right" because of this.

Being heavily into GA flying, I'm sort of a weather fanatic, and weather control is of upmost importance for me. Both as a mood factor and as a way of controlling combat effectiveness due to weather.

The whole intel section could be improved for better weather control:

Clouds, visibility, and precipitation

-******|******+ Overcast: 0.5 (6/8 broken)

-***|*********+ Overcast forecast: 0.3 (4/8 scattered)

-******|******+ Fog: 0.5 (300 m max vis)

-***|*********+ Fog forecast: 0.3 (100 m max vis)

-******|******+ Precip amount: 0.5 (medium, requires overcast > 0.6)

-***|*********+ Precip amount forecast: 0.3 (low, requires overcast > 0.6)

-******|******+ Precip steadiness: 0.5 (mixed)

-***|*********+ Precip steadiness forecast: 0.3 (steady) --- showers on the other extreme

-******|******+ Precip chance: 50% (checked every 10 minutes?)

-***|*********+ Precip chance forecast: 30%

-******|******+ Precip type: sleet

-******|******+ Precip type forecast: rain

Wind and temperature

-******|******+ Wind dir: 180 (From south)

-***|*********+ Wind dir forecast: 90 (From east)

-******|******+ Wind dir variability: 0.5 (30°) --- 60° about maximum.

-***|*********+ Wind dir variability forecast: 0.3 (12°)

-******|******+ Wind force: 14 m/s (50 km/h fresh gale)

-***|*********+ Wind force forecast: 8 m/s (30 km/h fresh breeze)

-******|******+ Wind gusts: 7 m/s (+25 km/h) --- max half of wind added

-***|*********+ Wind gusts forecast: 8 m/s (30 km/h fresh breeze)

-******|******+ Temperature: 0°C (32°F)

-***|*********+ Temperature forecast: -10°C (14°F)

Forecast system:

-******|******+ Next weather change in: 30 minutes

-***|*********+ Weather change occurs over: 15 minutes

That basically covers most of my needs for a combat simulator :) Once every minute or so, the server transmits these weather data and results of them to each client. Each client then sets the data and also employ quick random variation loops for those parts that cannot be transmitted constantly (for traffic reasons).

You can now get summertime clear weather conditions evolving in the right fashion into a summertime thunderstorm, producing hail or hail stones, while the rapidly cooling air and wetness produce windchills affecting your aim... Only to last only a few minutes like a summertime convective system sometimes do. It's up to the mission designers to set all these variables into realistic values, and I bet many mission testers have some understanding of basic meteorology :D

Just my rant. Nobody can take my dreams away, right? :D

What do you mean?

I mean that in Arma, like in old OFP, inventory of vehicles is local and i.e not syncronized between players, and there are no functions allowing us to know what does inventory contain (we can only clear contains and add something, but cannot look and say what is inside of vehicle). That makes MP gaming unrealistic (people use weapon-buy-dialogs instead of crate placing, which makes gaming more unrealistic).

---------- Post added at 14:22 ---------- Previous post was at 14:19 ----------

local effect of the inventory can be solved by scripts, but getting the inventory cannot be, because no such functions exist. we can only write our own vehicle-inventory-engine with lots of arrays, own functions or scripts and our own inventory dialogs, i.e. make a new game inside existing one... I don't know why this bug is still actual since OFP ?!!! Are BIS too lazy to write a few lines of code or what?... I don't understand it...

Please fix the Anti-Aliasing bug that gives white outline to models in front of smoke and shadows.

Please fix COIN: it doesn't allow building on a land witout trees (after all the trees have been fallen).

My suggestion for 1.06 is to add a RPG7 with scope (PSO?) to Russian side so they have a bit more equal launcher to SMAW.

Better:

This two commands from VBS2:

getWeaponCargo

getMagazineCargo

and this command :D

enablePersonalItems

Please BIS! :yay:

Thanks to the BIS team for your efforts in 1.05, it is appreciated greatly.

I noticed that the AI seem to mis-calculate the distance to a waypoint when at normal speed. They drive right through a waypoint before stopping. They do fine in limited speed mode but normal seems to have them initiate braking too late. I realize it sounds silly and unimportant but it tends to throw off precise handling during cinema or gameplay patrols.

Also, this is merely a thought for you guys wanting a challenge at BIS. Would it be possible to have downdraft from helis affect smoke and fire particles, such as drawing the smoke into the funnel and whipping it about during evacs or low flying CAS? And to take it even further...The passing of vehicles manipulating the directional travel of smoke?

Thanks again for the Christmas Present.

Most important would be a fix for the NVG`s, they should not react that way to light-sources they do now. Blinded by starlight can`t be right,right?:D

On the other hand, real NVGs has:

Quite limited resolution, "TV lines", way below most peoples screen displays.

Noisy as hell.

Often very low contrast, when there is little to no stray light.

Much less "reach" than in Arma2.

Much worse washout effects than you see in Arma2.

No way of using regular daylight sights with a monocular NVG.

Improve the god damn performance.

I have a rig well within the recommended settings and ArmA 2 still runs with 10-12 Fps with all settings on medium.

On the other hand, real NVGs has:

Quite limited resolution, "TV lines", way below most peoples screen displays.

Noisy as hell.

Often very low contrast, when there is little to no stray light.

Much less "reach" than in Arma2.

Much worse washout effects than you see in Arma2.

No way of using regular daylight sights with a monocular NVG.

I´d be fine with the limitations.

The way they are limited know makes them useless, well at least once the sky is clear and the stars coming out. As long it`s cloudy everything is fine, but that`s about it.

I´d be fine with the limitations.

The way they are limited know makes them useless, well at least once the sky is clear and the stars coming out. As long it`s cloudy everything is fine, but that`s about it.

You probably have brightness or gamma set way too high.

Improve the god damn performance.

I have a rig well within the recommended settings and ArmA 2 still runs with 10-12 Fps with all settings on medium.

Anti Aliasing can take about 20 FPS right off, I can't even have it on low because my FPS drops 10.

I usually keep 28-30 FPS constant, unless around water than it goes to 5, or around tons of foilage, forests (chernarus in general).

So my advice is disable shadows completely and AA and you will get playable FPS.

Post Process is also unnecessarily harmfull to FPS.

BIS still have alot of work to do so stay patient.