Sign in to follow this  
Archamedes

Arma 2 1.06 Patch Suggestions

Make the AI, board vehicles ALOT faster, I tell a group of 8 men to board an mi-8...and 1 hour later it seems like they finally board it..

No matter what I do, put them on safe, hold fire, etc...they always run around the chopper and lay down, or crouch. then some will board and some will keep on running around it like retards.

EDIT: didn't read the post above, agreed also...stupid AI think they do what they want no matter what you tell them.

Right, Now that 1.05 is out and has fixed quite a lot of problems are there any other bugs not picked up or new ones caused by the 1.05 patch? Anyhow i have a couple of new ideas for the 1.06 patch

1. Being able to move in the map view. Currently when switching your character stops moving. You could move in ofp and it actually made it easier to cross country fast by moving in the map view especially if you sped up time and didn't have to deal with an fps issue. So could this be fixed?

2. Having The campaigns being compatible with A.C.E. would be good. Especially if you can get to manage rucks and extra weapons in the briefing. I don't think you can change weapons in the briefing screen which is a shame

You can move in map view, the thing is, your character will stop and crouch when you hit M, stand yourself back up and start running again, I even do it on multiplayer sometimes when I know I'm safe.

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Make the AI, board vehicles ALOT faster, I tell a group of 8 men to board an mi-8...and 1 hour later it seems like they finally board it..

No matter what I do, put them on safe, hold fire, etc...they always run around the chopper and lay down, or crouch. then some will board and some will keep on running around it like retards.

EDIT: didn't read the post above, agreed also...stupid AI think they do what they want no matter what you tell them.

I've ran into this problem too, a workaround is to set them to "safe" or "aware" and they'll get in the vehicles within the hour you asked them lol.

Otherwise they're paranoid, and will be scoping out the surroundings, crouching and going prone and such, all to nothing but wilderness. (unless you're retreating) if you are retreating, use this command as fast as possible, 90% of the time it helps me :) ***If they won't go "safe" etc, try issuing the stop command first.

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

A HE or HEAT rounds will detonate upon impact so even branches or trees will set it off but Sabot(APFSDST) round is not high explosive. It's more like a long thin nail or slug that works by sheer velocity to penetrate a tank armor and most often than not it could penetrate through a tank armor and hit the tank next to it(Happened in Iraq)

The damage is brought about by the sharpnel(fiery burst of fragmented target tank's armor firing inward killing the enemy tank's crews and heavily damaging the tank systems rendering it disabled ). If lucky it could set a fire that could detonate the HE rounds inside the target tank setting it to explode and ripping off the turret which send it flying high into the air.

So no, a wall(even reinforced concrete) or even houses or buildings aside from steel beams(assuming it's thick enough) would not hinder a sabot round. So will not tree branches and even sand berm up to certain thickness and depending on range.

Perhaps a tree trunk would decrease the velocity of sabot round but not stop it outright.

All I'm saying make sabot round to pass through everything maybe except the target(armors or tanks) at least under 2 km range.

While at it tanks should also be able to move past through houses demolishing the building in effect.

It would change velocity, it would change angle, hell, there may even be a x% chance that the thing would hit a tree so damn hard it'd break up right there and knock down a nice section of forest. but I doubt it'd continue on in a straight line at it's target...

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

I'd like to (love to) see the "logistics" side of [R3F]Arty_And_log integrated into the game, it's realistic, nuff said.

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

adjustable weapon sights would also be great, they remind me alot of racing games, heaps of tuning options but do you really need them (alot of the time I'd see friends slamming people multiplayer/singleplayer with "default car tuning") but it'd be a cool feature, and would be a nice addition to people who enjoy sniping.

It would change velocity, it would change angle, hell, there may even be a x% chance that the thing would hit a tree so damn hard it'd break up right there and knock down a nice section of forest. but I doubt it'd continue on in a straight line at it's target...

Under 2,000 meter range??! No way it would not change anything. A sabot is not a bullet fired from some pathetic rifle.

A deflected sabot round is considered spent and no longer be considered lethal for all purposes(since the penetrator is considered to have lost the duel). Only Rolled Homogeneous armor(RHA) or the likes in tanks such as Abrams(M1) or Challenger 2 or Leo 2A6 that could in RL environment hope to deflect a sabot round given sufficient range.

There is no way a sabot being deflected under 2,000 m by mere ordinary buildings or trees. It's just tough rarest chance. Tank sabot engagement at 2,000m is like an assault rifle engagement at less than 150m.

The engagement range of today's tanks is up to 5,000m or a little more.

The normal engagement range is 3,000-4,500m. Under less than 2,000m a sabot round(slug) would certainly not be deflected except when it hits some advanced Main Battle Tank on the front side(head on).

Edited by Michael Withstand

So "turret down" becoming "hide behind building and shoot through it" is not a worrying thought for you? Don't worry about engagement distances, they are below (for tanks) real values anyway, and I doubt it will change much.

I'll agree that damage modeling is sub par. Sabots shouldn't be more effective on building demolition than ammo designed for it.

But "unhindered"? No way. Instant cheat mode that will be exploited. Better off "deflecting the sabot into the unknown" by removing the projectile. And if possible, restore the health to a building using EH-handleDamage or something.

So "turret down" becoming "hide behind building and shoot through it" is not a worrying thought for you? Don't worry about engagement distances, they are below (for tanks) real values anyway, and I doubt it will change much.

I'll agree that damage modeling is sub par. Sabots shouldn't be more effective on building demolition than ammo designed for it.

But "unhindered"? No way. Instant cheat mode that will be exploited. Better off "deflecting the sabot into the unknown" by removing the projectile. And if possible, restore the health to a building using EH-handleDamage or something.

Ummm I'm suggesting only the sabot round that goes through trees and buildings and NOT the AI sighting!

So yes the effect would be possible engagement of enemy armors behind building(with tank's sabot round only) when we knew it's there.

AI would still not able to see past buildings but if they knew that enemy armor is behind some buildings perhaps like moving to behind a complex of building the AI would still fire upon these targets based on last sight projection(just like suppressing guessing fire but only one or two shots fired) or shoot when enemy armor is partially hidden by buildings(such as in corners) or trees and NOT because they see past building.

This would not be cheating and this is an intended effect that I'm suggesting so that sabot round could shoot past buildings or corners and trees. It's the sabot round that shoot through and not the AI sighting :)

Umm on wind deflection and things like that the tank's fire control system compute(that means automatically and non human) for wind and humidity and transverse angle so that the shot hit the intended target. But wind, humidity are only critical for longer distance engagement and when firing at far targets while moving I guess. All I'm saying these stuffs should not be bothered in game.

what type of sabot round are you talking about? APCR? APDS? HVAP?

There's some really interesting information about this type of round, I'll post a little here.

"Typical velocities of APFSDS rounds vary between manufacturers and muzzle length/types. As a typical example, the American General Dynamics KEW-A1 has a muzzle velocity of 1,740 m/s (5,700 ft/s).[2] This compares to 914 m/s (3,000 ft/s) for a typical rifle (small arms) round. APFSDS rounds generally operate in the range of 1,400 to 1,900 m/s. The sabots also travel at such a high velocity that upon separation, they may continue for many hundreds of metres at speeds that can be lethal to troops and damage light vehicles."

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

everywhere I look though, Sabot is a casing that goes around a type of shell, so it can fit in a barrel larger than it's bore. Might bore some but this stuff is pretty cool to read.

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

sabot [sa′bÅ]

(ordnance)

Lightweight carrier in which a subcaliber projectile is centered to permit firing the projectile in the larger-caliber weapon; the sabot diameter fills the bore of the weapon from which the projectile is fired.

Umm I have a knack(fascination) with Tanks. And sabot(anti armor slug) is a big part as it's the main anti tank munition of a tank.

I'm talking about the 120mm or 125mm sabot round that MBT loads and not the 30mm that BMPs or M2 loads. It's other name is APDS: Armor piercing discarding sabot or APFSDS: Armor piercing fin stabilized discarding sabot.

A Tank is basically a sniping platform. A precision sniping platform with the help of computerized fire control system, armored and tracked.

Anyway this is not the thread to discuss it.

I'm merely suggesting this because I happen to be more knowledgeable about tank in general so the experience in ArmA 2 with Tank's sabot round kind of bothered me :rolleyes:

Either way, I'd have to assume it'd be a game engine limitation? but as we all know, assuming makes an ass of you and me! lol

Well, its really annoying, that you cannot shoot through a small leaf with a SABOT...

I experienced this turret turning issue again. I gave serveral waypoints to a tank and walked beside of the tank. I syncronised the waypoints with the waypoints of a inf squad, which had to cover the tank. Everytime the tank waited for the inf to reach the next waypoint, the tank turned his turret to the west. When it moved, it turned its turret to the front....

Another inf squad had the same problem. Everytime they had to wait at a waypoint, the whole squad turned west(! everytime the same direction) .

I play a lot in tanks as the commander using the AI to fire the main gun by using the target cursor to choose the target, on many occasions when i have targeted an enemy tank the AI fires the turret MG and not the main gun, this has caused me to lose a tank duel on many occasions by giving away my position, is this something to do with range as sometimes it fires the main gun and sometimes the MG, could anyone explain this or is it just a bug that hopefully can be fixed in a subsequent patch.

Also another problem with this method is that the turret will turn violently away from the target after the target has been selected and firing has been ordered, this is very disconcerting and disorientating, can it be fixed ?

Edited by bazeye

I play a lot in tanks as the commander using the AI to fire the main gun by using the target cursor to choose the target, on many occasions when i have targeted an enemy tank the AI fires the turret MG and not the main gun, this has caused me to lose a tank duel on many occasions by giving away my position, is this something to do with range as sometimes it fires the main gun and sometimes the MG, could anyone explain this or is it just a bug that hopefully can be fixed in a subsequent patch.

Also another problem with this method is that the turret will turn violently away from the target after the target has been selected and firing has been ordered, this is very disconcerting and disorientating, can it be fixed ?

Actually as a commander you need to specify what ammo the loader should load. Press Ctrl-F to do this. In order to switch the main gun munition from HEAT to sabot or vice versa you need to select the gunner, press 6 then more(0) and select either reload HEAT or Reload sabot. The chosen munition will not change until otherwise specified or ordered changed.

For your second question I'm assuming you experience that with T72 and BMP3.

The T72 and BMP3 in vanilla ArmA 2 doesn't come with stabilized Commander sight so when the gunner move the turret the Commander view moves with it hence disorienting you. This is meant to be.

And though rather annoying, it should not hinder killing enemy tanks. Once an enemy target is specified(targeted) through Right Mouse Button, just press Ctrl-Left Mouse Button to order the gunner to fire. And yes the gunner would rotate the turret in order to hit the target but you should not fight this as the target is about to be hit once the rotation is complete and the gun fired. Only make Commander sight adjustment after the gun had been fired instead to check the target condition again.

---------- Post added at 05:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 AM ----------

Either way, I'd have to assume it'd be a game engine limitation? but as we all know, assuming makes an ass of you and me! lol

No it's not :). I'm sure of it. In fact it might help with fps especially in large tank battles to have the sabot round to ignore trees and buildings as the calculation and processes would be reduced. Then again it might not(negligible effect)

---------- Post added at 05:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 AM ----------

Well, its really annoying, that you cannot shoot through a small leaf with a SABOT...

Exactly. Bang my head to the keyboard every time when the sabot kept being stopped by branches and the enemy BMP launched a guided missile at my tank killing it instantly :rolleyes:

..the enemy BMP launched a guided missile at my tank killing it instantly :rolleyes:

..consequently not hitting any round/missile stopping elements! AI has a fascinating talent for that :D

This would not be cheating and this is an intended effect that I'm suggesting so that sabot round could shoot past buildings or corners and trees. It's the sabot round that shoot through and not the AI sighting :)

How about human sighting? Crew knows how "intelligent" the damage system works. Tank is turret down (or at least "main gun down") behind a wall, when commander spots another tank. Then the gunner just shoots through the wall to kill the opponent. Seriously, do you really think they do this in real life?

Branches and leaves I wouldn't have a problem with, those are also problematic for anyone, i.e. when using M203/GP25 rounds. But behind what is considered solid cover? No. Even if it was possible, lets try to restrict possibilities to what is common practice.

How about human sighting? Crew knows how "intelligent" the damage system works. Tank is turret down (or at least "main gun down") behind a wall, when commander spots another tank. Then the gunner just shoots through the wall to kill the opponent. Seriously, do you really think they do this in real life?

Branches and leaves I wouldn't have a problem with, those are also problematic for anyone, i.e. when using M203/GP25 rounds. But behind what is considered solid cover? No. Even if it was possible, lets try to restrict possibilities to what is common practice.

Buildings are not considered solid cover when it comes to a Main Battle Tank sabot round. :). So yes that's an intended effect too(that's the idea).

And yes they would do that in RL I think. To shoot that tank hiding behind a house or building with its barrel sticking out. The sabot would go past the building walls and hit the son of bitches in that tank :D (Edit: woots BI forum is not self censoring!!! LOL)

Anyway just an idea to improve some degree of realism with respect to tanking if BI couldn't care less I just go buy keyboard more often :D

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

There's som interesting read here

http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/cv/weapon/M256.html

Scroll down to almost end of page to

Weapon capabilities section

a portion which I duplicate here

The primary role of the tank cannon during urban combat is to provide heavy direct-fire against buildings and strongpoints that are identified as targets by the infantry. Only large earth berms and heavy mass construction buildings can provide protection against tank fire. The preferred main gun rounds in the urban environment are MPAT (ground mode) and MPAT-OR, which perform much better than sabot rounds against bunkers and buildings.

Sabot is not intended to be used against buildings as it would just shot past through leaving only a small hole only but they do past through and would hit any armor behind most buildings and most probably render them disabled.:)

Suggestion: 64-bit Executable for ArmA II

Suggestion: 64-bit Executable for ArmA II

Great idea also it would be nice if the added a vsync option.

What about makeing the binoculars be able to measure a point and having the UAV drive to

that location and make a system that sense what unit are in that place and send the coordinates to a gunbattery that could home in on separate guns and report ready for action.Just push a button and....