Sign in to follow this  
snkman

Group Link 4 Special FX Edition

Do you use the "Script/Mission Based" initialize?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the "Script/Mission Based" initialize?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

[dream]Ah, think of the possibilities if ACE2 and GL4 developers would stick together and create somethin like ACEGL24.....[/dream]

So once you have the auto init version for CBA running, will it have a flexible config where you can emulate what you do by sync with module. By simply having and on/off state for the function(s) in the config?

IE .. Grouplink for AI teams=1 (on) Grouplink for player=0 (off) GrouplinkFX=1 (on) etc ...

Well there are already some setting scripts available in Group Link 4.

"@GL4\GL4_Settings\GL4_Local.sqf" and "@GL4\GL4_Settings\GL4_Global.sqf"

There you can enable/disable pretty much features of Group Link 4.

I think creating much more modules will just confuse ppl.

The default initialize is W.I.P. stage and for testing purpose only. Of course there still is much to do to make it work much more smoothly, but so far it do it's job pretty good. ;)

Heys SNK, sorry to be a wart on your butt, but I was wondering if I could get a little more clarification since I'm still getting a hang of this kind of thing. In your Readme it states that:

Note: By default all Group Link 4 features are enabled. You can disabled/changed features by removing the “//†in front of the variable “GL4_Global†and “GL4_Localâ€.

But in some of your examples like this one you say:

Remove the “//†in front of the variable “GL4_Global“ to activate it.

So I'm a bit confused? Do I even have to remove the "//" to activate like blood and such at all?

I was also wondering if in time we will be able to adjust like the vehicle chatter like add custom classes and such like ECS allowed? Or will GL4 add the radio chatter automatically to custom vehicles?

And finally, do humvees also get the chatter? Reason I asked is I setup a test with a humvee on utes and drove around it but did not hear anything (I believe it was the one with the MK19), but when I tried again but with a M1 tank, as long as engine was on, I heard the chatter (which was absolutely fantastic to have back and enjoy when playing....makes it feel more alive. :) ).

Heys SNK, sorry to be a wart on your butt, but I was wondering if I could get a little more clarification since I'm still getting a hang of this kind of thing. In your Readme it states that:

But in some of your examples like this one you say:

So I'm a bit confused? Do I even have to remove the "//" to activate like blood and such at all?

I was also wondering if in time we will be able to adjust like the vehicle chatter like add custom classes and such like ECS allowed? Or will GL4 add the radio chatter automatically to custom vehicles?

And finally, do humvees also get the chatter? Reason I asked is I setup a test with a humvee on utes and drove around it but did not hear anything (I believe it was the one with the MK19), but when I tried again but with a M1 tank, as long as engine was on, I heard the chatter (which was absolutely fantastic to have back and enjoy when playing....makes it feel more alive. :) ).

It means all features are enabled by default, but with removing // you can activate the command what set it FALSE (disable the feature) so you activate the turning-off procedure. IMHO at least.

Where exactly the GL4_settings folder goes? inside the gl4 or inside the userconfig?

Edited by spangg
question added:

Ahhhhhh, ok now I got it. Cheers mate. Got it now. :D

I just saw a helo go down in a fiery inferno and when it crashed a debris trail was cut into the ground :eek:

Was that from this mod? Amazing stuff here.

Info:

-----

This version is W.I.P ( Work In Progress ) and do not support/use the C.B.A. ( Community Based AddOns )

May the default initialize of Group Link 4 will fail in combination with C.B.A.

Actually it launches with CBA, but partially with most features down.

Waiting for XEH auto init version release (hopefully ?) :bounce3:

Well there are already some setting scripts available in Group Link 4.

"@GL4\GL4_Settings\GL4_Local.sqf" and "@GL4\GL4_Settings\GL4_Global.sqf"

There you can enable/disable pretty much features of Group Link 4.

I think creating much more modules will just confuse ppl.

The default initialize is W.I.P. stage and for testing purpose only. Of course there still is much to do to make it work much more smoothly, but so far it do it's job pretty good. ;)

Ok thanks for link, need to dig into pdf's and have a play, makes sense for these than a module-fest, great work BTW .. this wont be leaving any of my new SP missions at all. Random weather/location just fixed a dynamic mission start issue I wanted to have in my missions since A1 .. in one fail swoop, so easy with sync and modules.

I've a small question about 1.1:

Does it require to be installed on the clients if using it without the FX?

@Betsalel

Ok the how to work with the setting already is sloved. ;)

Well so far the Radio ( Vehicle ) Chatter only is available in Tanks, Wheeled A.P.C. and Helicopters.

Every user made addon which use thouse classes will have Radio ( Vehicle ) Chatter too.

I did not use the custom array where ppl can add classes to make it a bit easyer for me. Group Link 4 already use 120 settings which can be changed by users but if need i will add a array where you can put in classes of vehicles wich should use the Radio ( Vehicle ) Chatter.

@spangg

Thanks for explaining it. ;)

The "GL4_Settings" folder have to be where it is. "@GL4\GL4_Settings"

@froggyluv

Yeah Group Link 4 features a wide range of different Explosion FX which i forgot to list in the thread. :rolleyes:

@NikoTeen

Yes so far i have no knowledge about C.B.A. becouse i never used them.

First i have to find out how the C.B.A. works and how to include them without making them a required AddOn.

@mrcash2009

Thanks.

Nice to hear you like the modules. :)

@i0n0s

Yes the "GL4_System.pbo" have to be installed on bouth player and dedicated ( player host) server.

Edited by SNKMAN

Just a few things,

The random time module, could there be a config setting for this so it could have a max/min time. IE: rather than totaly random you could give it a time minimum / time maximum value so its random only between those set time limits?

I prefer say 3pm and 11pm summer time so for example I would add min=15 (24hour) / max=23 (24hour).

Also im trying to use the random placement inside a vehicle but it seems as though even syncing the module on the vehicle you are transported without it. Can someone point me in the right direction of how to use random place module but staying in a vehicle with my team and all of it being randomly placed?

I have a mission that has a patrol using a vehicle/truck to transport around that's under High command control. I would love to be on board at mission start, then random placement executes with vehicle and crew inside.

Edited by mrcash2009

The random time module, could there be a config setting for this.

Not a problem i will add this to the next version.

Also im trying to use the random placement inside a vehicle but it seems as though even syncing the module on the vehicle you are transported without it.

Yes so far only the class "Man" will be teleported becouse the script do not check the vehicle, but it's not a problem to make it work with vehicles ( crew ) also.

Will be in the next version too. ;)

Thanks for the info, mate. Well if any user-made vehicles inherit the sounds too then I don't see the need then to make more work for you and risk complicating things. :)

I've been enjoying everything in every way. The only thing I've had issue with (I still need to track down the culprit) is with explosions of vehicles. I'm thinking it might be ACE related. Here's what happened last night...

I was messing around on quesh kibrul and was trying to test the whole "on fire" FX--which by the way is absolutely hilarious and fun to watch, lol--so I blew up a satchel charge or two to get the fuel truck on fire but my whole screen when blurry even though I was at a safe distance away. It lasted like 3 minutes or so. I had to restart to get my vision back before I got too nauseous.

I tried the "CO10_ACE_Op_Roadfighter_100.queshkibrul" mission that I edited (I moved everyone into that small base off to the right instead of in the middle of the road). Was testing to make sure I got GL4 working for that mission for when me and Mark do some HIFI testing and was in the base shooting the Bradley's gun from the base into the factory which is far away from the base. OPFOR started to assault the base which was awesome to see, but I noticed a truck in the distance--maybe 300-400km away from the base (don't quote me on that, I suck at judging distances but I do know it was really far away from the base) when I blew it up. Once again, my whole screen went severely blurry which lasted what felt like an eternity. Maybe 3-5 minutes? I felt like I was wearing a 90 year old's 3-inch thick prescription glasses and started feeling sick when moving around with the screen like that. :eek: :p

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if it is due to ACE being run with GL4 or is it a special FX from GL4? If it is GL4, I'm wondering if its a bug since the second time that truck was way too far out to have even affected me in the gunner seat of a Bradley? Maybe because of the FX in ACE doing something to GL4?

I'll try again without ACE and see if it does it again and report back to you with what happened. Just figured I'd ask if anyone else has had this happen as well from explosions in the distance.

Anyways, I can't stress enough how much of a great job you did with GL4 SNKMAN. <sends virtual beer> :D

I've noticed this bluriness too. I have a vehicle explode about 200m away from me and I couldnt see for ages. I have ACE2 and GL4 running (and MandoMissiles ALWAYS ) running.

Ok good--well, not good but good in the sense that "ah, good...I'm not the only one". ;)

Hopefully I can test things and track down if it's because of running both or what's going on. Thanks for chiming in, Kremator. I spoke with Mark today before he left his house and he said he had similar happen as well. So hopefully we can figure out what happened and save our vision and stomachs in the future. :p

From my point of view the BEST mod of OFP. My respect to the old ecp team.

+1

Never played OFP without it

If this one is even remotely in the same category then this is a real christmas gift. Thank you.

Cheers

I can also confirm the bluriness, basic test:-

Loaded up the example mission on Utes. I added a few more men and aav's to the group and gave them a waypoint inland, just to see the fireworks. Then play as one of the guys on the ground. As soon as the fire starts getting heavy, the screen goes blurred.

First i thought it was the supression system, which would be great. But it doesnt go back to normal vision.

Running:- 1.05 + ACE2

I can also confirm the bluriness, basic test:-

First i thought it was the supression system, which would be great. But it doesnt go back to normal vision.

Running:- 1.05 + ACE2

Same here, except my blurriness went away after 4-5 minutes. Hid in a hole until it went away.

@All

Yes you are right guy's.

I also get this but just right after i had released GL4.

I already made some tests becouse i thought it had something to do with the "Burning FX" of Group Link 4 becouse if you get close to a burning vehicle you will get damage and it will blure the screen depending on the distance of a player to the burning vehicle.

But the "Burning FX" did this not during my whole test.

So there are 2 other parts in Group Link 4 where this may could happend.

I have to test and hopefully find a fix for that really quick.

So thanks for posting this bug even if i already know it. :thumbs-up:

Note: What i did after it happend was to shoot in the ground directly in front of me so that i injured myself and get the First Aid option. After using the First Aid the blure was gone becouse the "Bleeding FX" also use a blure effect which had disables the other ( bug ) blur fx.

Edited by SNKMAN

Ah ok, good to know you are aware of it. :D

Oddly enough I ran some tests on utes--put a truck and a piece of armour at one end of the strip and me as a Bradley gunner at the other and blew up both vehicles and didn't get the blur. I tried with just CBA and GL4. Then with @ACE and @ACEX, and slowly added more addons and all was fine. Weird. Going to try again that mission I talked about earlier again and see if it happens often on that map/mission.

@All

Yes you are right guy's.

I also get this but just right after i had released GL4.

I already made some tests becouse i thought it had something to do with the "Burning FX" of Group Link 4 becouse if you get close to a burning vehicle you will get damage and it will blure the screen depending on the distance of a player to the burning vehicle.

But the "Burning FX" did this not during my whole test.

So there are 2 other parts in Group Link 4 where this may could happend.

I have to test and hopefully find a fix for that really quick.

So thanks for posting this bug even if i already know it. :thumbs-up:

Note: What i did after it happend was to shoot in the ground directly in front of me so that i injured myself and get the First Aid option. After using the First Aid the blure was gone becouse the "Bleeding FX" also use a blure effect which had disables the other ( bug ) blur fx.

It happens to me either.

But I just press ESC and then continue and its fine, but sometimes get back again...

Also my Post Processing everytime I start Arma2 seems to go low or Off, I have to put it out of Very High and put it in very high again.

I just dont know if the second problem is from GL4 as I also use ACE2.

Thanks a lot for sharing and amazing work you are doing, keep it up!

_neo_

@Betsalel

Yes this blur thing is really very weird...

So far i can't explain to my self what exactly do this becouse none of my scripts which blur the screen do trigger if this happend but in some scripts i set the dynamicBlur to True so it will blur the screen in case a player get's close to a burning vehicle and/or house.

I think that B.I.S. do something with the blur directly after a vehicle was destroyed but don't set the dynamicBlur to True or only set it to True if a player is very close to a destroyed/exploding vehicle.

So i have to do just some more tests to find a good solution.

May i should try to set the dynamicBlur to True a few sec. after a vehicle was destroyed.

Well we will see. ;)

@neokika

Oh ESC :) if this works this way then so far this would be the easyest solution.

About the Post Processing i do not change anything in the game options may it could be A.C.E. but in some case A2 do not always save settings made in A2 by a user correctly. So may it's a A2 bug?