Sign in to follow this  
Ludovico Technique

Monsters, zombies and so on

Sorry i can not possibly ensure any compatibility with other mods or specific features of those mods, because first they would not do the same to ensure compatibility (understandably) with the undead mod and second it would result in an indefinite development of this, i want to get this out very soon.

hmm ok but ACE is/will be the most used mod like it was for arma 1. and probably many people would like to use it with your mod. when using ACE the zeds would just run out of breath and collapse or slow down and walk the whole time. maybe this example with the stamina of the zeds is just a little thing to do.

maybe this example with the stamina of the zeds is just a little thing to do.

You can disable the stamina mode from ACE..

hmm ok but ACE is/will be the most used mod like it was for arma 1. and probably many people would like to use it with your mod. when using ACE the zeds would just run out of breath and collapse or slow down and walk the whole time. maybe this example with the stamina of the zeds is just a little thing to do.

They would not run "out of breath" (or whatever feature that is) when they are close to the target because the movement is custom and can not possibly be interferred with by anything, except for the group leader.

So you are saying you would prefer a release date in late spring or later to be sure to have compatibility with let`s say the 10 most used mods if to achieve that is even possible?

no, i only talked about ACE. well ok then there is no problem with the stamina. good to know.

lol actually its the same to me when this mod gets released cause first of i need to get a computer to run arma:o

So you are saying you would prefer a release date in late spring or later to be sure to have compatibility with let`s say the 10 most used mods if to achieve that is even possible?

Well in that case, can you bundle it with Urban Pack, add blood tex to all the vehicles (especially the mountain bike!), fix pathfinding for zombies/infected inside buildings, enable a counter/randomizer for zombie targets, put in a zombie T-rex and refine the script so there will be no lag with 32 players and 1000 zombies?:rolleyes:

Well in that case, can you bundle it with Urban Pack, add blood tex to all the vehicles (especially the mountain bike!), fix pathfinding for zombies/infected inside buildings, enable a counter/randomizer for zombie targets, put in a zombie T-rex and refine the script so there will be no lag with 32 players and 1000 zombies?:rolleyes:

Hmm, i assume you are joking hehe.

I have made some tests and the infected will come up stairs if you stand at the very end of the stairs. Also a check was added to prevent getting hit through the floor (ceiling for the infected) , generally if the player is higher than 2 meters from the attacker. Getting hit through walls can`t be prevented, the engine offers no way of doing that. (Arma2=big outdoor engine, NOT indoor)

I made some movies but youtube prooves again to be of very poor programming and takes forever to upload stuff.

refine the script so there will be no lag with 32 players and 1000 zombies?

Actually the lag with 32 players and 1000 zombies won`t be so bad if you had

something like a 8.2 - 8.6 GHz Octa-core CPU...........

Okay the vid:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk_dW_Nrpik&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk_dW_Nrpik&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Edited by Charon Productions

lol don't show clips i can't wait^^ hehe

great work keep up^^

nice video! some custom animations for the fast zeds and some sounds would be cool!

Custom animations for infected (which are male and female) are impossible because BI failed to provide the tools to actually do that reasonably.

No point in the hazzle to even attempt that with unofficial Arma1 animation tools that would not support the female skeleton anyway. That`s why there are also no female slow zombies.

And besides the animations, that they currently have, are no different from what infected in the movies would exhibit, i mean they just run after you.

Attack Animations in regards to swings or similar are in many cases not being played by the engine in the required timely manner, nothing can be done about that, it was a nightmare to get this to the point already where it currently is.Animation handling is a weak spot of the engine IMHO.

Crank up the volume a bit in this vid and you will hear their custom sounds (dozens of them):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA41K1evrmc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA41K1evrmc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It's looking good, the infected town actually had me worried that you and your guys were going to die... haha.

Custom animations for infected (which are male and female) are impossible because BI failed to provide the tools to actually do that reasonably.

No point in the hazzle to even attempt that with unofficial Arma1 animation tools that would not support the female skeleton anyway. That`s why there are also no female slow zombies.

And besides the animations, that they currently have, are no different from what infected in the movies would exhibit, i mean they just run after you.

Attack Animations in regards to swings or similar are in many cases not being played by the engine in the required timely manner, nothing can be done about that, it was a nightmare to get this to the point already where it currently is.Animation handling is a weak spot of the engine IMHO.

Crank up the volume a bit in this vid and you will hear their custom sounds (dozens of them):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA41K1evrmc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA41K1evrmc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mate, that's nothing short of genius ... the way the zombies mobbed the player .... :O Awesome.

Is there a way of changing the damage the zombies do though? It looked like the player could take a fair beating before going down.

If only it were possible to have the zombies tackle the player, then you'd have the greatest zombie game/mod ever created :D

What I never understood is why there are so few zombie titles, and no large scale zombie games at all (left 4 dead doesnt count, I mean free roam zombie games). Brilliant work Charon, brilliant

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmsavdLuCWc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmsavdLuCWc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The infection timer is here only 30 secs (for testing purposes in this mission).
It shows how hard it is to defeat the infected.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmsavdLuCWc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmsavdLuCWc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The infection timer is here only 30 secs (for testing purposes in this mission).

It shows how hard it is to defeat the infected.

Wow, talk about awesome, and it's not even just the zombies that are awesome. You also put in great sounds in your addon, the screaming, growling, snarling, all that put together just makes an awesome atmosphere.

Video of a team member whose infection timer is up becoming a zed:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5athBap_Wcg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5athBap_Wcg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Still working on a faster reaction time after the resurrection. It is going through many initializations before assessing what group to join etc. , so a prioritized kill has to be put in before group considerations.

EDIT: Just fixed that, he gets up and instantly hurls at the next human.

Edited by Charon Productions

O.O No 28 Days Later Music? HOW DARE YE! JK, looks nice, man!

Also, is there a way to avoid confrontation with Zombies? I wanna secretly arm a Nuke in the midst of them and hitch a ride out!

Edited by Black1ron

Yeah Charon, thanks alot for these video updates. Mod is looking great. Originally all I really want was zombie units, and you just give them a waypoint to a location where some soldiers are. But this is alot more then I expected, and I'm loving it.

Thanks mate, hope to play it soon. By the way, I saw back in the friend about no multiplayer, I understand that, but does it work well with just like 3 people coop. Because me and two of my friends wanna fool around and test this in the mission editor, then preview it.

By the way, I saw back in the friend about no multiplayer, I understand that, but does it work well with just like 3 people coop. Because me and two of my friends wanna fool around and test this in the mission editor, then preview it.

Any kind of Multiplayer programming has not been considered (also Coop won`t work). It would necessitate basically rewriting all the scripts just for that. You can shoot zeds, but the infection won`t spread at all, so there is no real point in playing it.

Charon...U r damn genius man. ^^

I watching the progress from the creation of this topic in those forums..and now we

are about to play the most "sophisticated" Z-mod ever created..with the UBER-problems/glitches/limitations of ArmA code...

All this ..thanks to your Countless hours (i believe) of devotion and creativity...

Just BRAVO man..just Bravo..

Any kind of Multiplayer programming has not been considered (also Coop won`t work). It would necessitate basically rewriting all the scripts just for that. You can shoot zeds, but the infection won`t spread at all, so there is no real point in playing it.

Ouch, those are VERY sad news, very sad news indeed.. :pet5: I don't understand.. why won't the MP work? I enjoyed zombie missions in OFP in COOP the most.. not just for the atmosphere, but when there's just far more zombies than you have bullets for your rifle, you need more than an AI wingmen wasting a full mag on 3 targets.

...You can shoot zeds, but the infection won`t spread at all,...

Does it mean user created scripted scenarios (not the zombie-infection-warfare) are still possible? Zombies just spawning a walking around (in cities) until they find someone to kill or get killed?

Think so, we still need the option as mission creator to place zombies (I´d prefer the slow ones with to the front stretched arms :) ) and the possibility of givin' em waypoints :581: