Sign in to follow this  
chammy

New Sound Mod in the making, slowly but surely

Must report in... a question first

1) The weapon sounds change after reload... is that just to test the different sounds to see which sounds better for each weapon or is that going to be normal in CSM3?

I am really concerned with the M16, M203, M249, M240 sounds atm. That is really the only ones I have checked out.

-Ok I am really digging one of the M16 sounds, it is the higher pitch one. M16 does not make a low toned sound, so those lower tone ones aint gonna fly and should be removed. Also the burst sound sounds like a gay man farting... real loose. This is a great video on a M16 sound.

-I really like the M203 sound especially the reload.

- this is the way the M249 needs to sound

- M240 needs to sound like this.

Once again I thank you guys for your hard work.

Hey guys. Not sure how much my opinion matters having only heard the sound mod on videos. (My computer is on the way from me last duty station) but it seems like their is no bass to explosions. Explosions in the distance are very quiet. Maybe its just the youtube video. Anyone else have an opinion on the explosions?

Yeah guys, as said before a lot of stuff that was in the video i posted a couple months ago will be in the update soon, hopefully. If not, it will be in the modules coming out.

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

1) The weapon sounds change after reload... is that just to test the different sounds to see which sounds better for each weapon or is that going to be normal in CSM3?

I am really concerned with the M16, M203, M249, M240 sounds atm. That is really the only ones I have checked out.

-Ok I am really digging one of the M16 sounds, it is the higher pitch one. M16 does not make a low toned sound, so those lower tone ones aint gonna fly and should be removed. Also the burst sound sounds like a gay man farting... real loose. This is a great video on a M16 sound.

Sorry bud, I know what yer getting at but the most the sound would be accurate in those videos are the sounds coming from the soldier firing from 20 to 30 feet away in the video, not the actual person that is being filmed cause of the effect of the sound pressure on the mic. The update will not have that type. As said before, I am creating them to be a little percussive so as to fit the sound in distant, even though the game has that ability to dull the sounds in the distance, it has a hard time doing so with some sounds that are just too blaring at times, sometimes you hear scraping sounds instead of pops.

The sound mod is really really good, but i know what he is talking about. I also noticed the sound changes, for me the single shot with M16A4 ACOG has 3 different sounds, burst is also different..and the high pitched one that you're talking about is the best one..it's close to the real one. the other ones are too low-mid-toned..so is also the sound of the default gun from the medic, when u respawn on the start..i think most rifles don't sound like that..it would be really nice if you only keep the high pitched tone for the m16.or would it be possible to seperate them, so the player can choose his favorite pbo if he likes more high tones, he just picks em and disables the low ones?!.its really hard to do that stuff,thumbs up for hours of work on that, but as i said, the high pitched tone, that appears sometimes is the best m16a4 sound i've ever heard in a game..i wanna have it all the time:) .and thx a lot for that great soundmod..cheers m8

Edited by [EC]M.O.R

Apologies if it already been answered in this thread. Are the M16A4 sounds suppose to change after reloading?

The sounds only change for me dependent upon where I am (town, open field, etc) to and I personally like that they do that. It's different and a step at a more realistic sounding weapon in game personally. Kudos to you guys for making this. Was a fan back in ARMA I. :)

@Blade89

Yeah you are right. it does seem to change when you move about, although it also appears to change when you reload. I take it this is deliberate. Is there an official explanation for this feature?

Top job CSM2 team - I am still in awe at how well this mod captures battle ambience. Keep up the excellent work!

Edited by stun

I think this mod is a very good sound mod, but, I still prefer the Ace2 M4 sound, can someone tell me what pbo I should take out to only remove the M4 sound or the gun weapons in general if that is the only way. There are 2 different pbo's for weapons it looks like CSM2 s and CMS2 c which one should I remove and what are the differences of these 2, thanks alot and keep up the great sound mod, your time and dedication to giving this community a great sound mod is appreciated.

M.O.R;1542436']The sound mod is really really good' date=' but i know what he is talking about. I also noticed the sound changes, for me the single shot with M16A4 ACOG has 3 different sounds, burst is also different...[/quote']

The different sounds are in by design for variation and also as a way of testing new samples.

What we do keep will be close variations rather than completely different sounding weapons as Chammy said above.

New M16 sound is pretty decent, but the ArmA engine is struggling to reproduce the dynamics. Nevertheless, I included it because when there is not much else going on nearby and you fire it, it is the closest thing in the game to what it sounds like when firing an assault rifle. I'm still working on improving it - distant sounds can be wierd at times with the current mix and although it has tremendous power in the original, it isn't often rendered in the game as such.

Hey guys. Not sure how much my opinion matters having only heard the sound mod on videos. ...Maybe its just the youtube video. Anyone else have an opinion on the explosions?

Wait until you hear it on your own system mate, Youtube videos only give an indication. It isn't perfect, but on decent kit it's a lot better than YT can show - I still enjoy the videos though!

1) The weapon sounds change after reload...

See above

-Ok I am really digging one of the M16 sounds, it is the higher pitch one. M16 does not make a low toned sound, so those lower tone ones aint gonna fly and should be removed.

As stated this is beta test while working towards CSM3, so content is not final.

I understand what you mean about the M16 having a very lightweight sound when you fire it, the lower bass was in the original samples to convey the power and effect of the blast pressure. The new sample I produced is very effective in this regard, so depending on how it works out we may go in this new direction.

As mentioned a number of times, most Youtube videos are not much of a reference for gunshots. They are compressed and the sample rate is low making them very brash and most importantly they are usually recorded on kit which is simply not designed to cope with the dynamics.

All you hear is a small part of the blast, then the gain control cuts in and limits the high level leaving you mainly with the sound of the working parts for the M240 (the one in the background sounds better) and a very attenuated M16 sound where the echos are almost as loud as the report. Some of the character is there though.

M249 video also has the character, but no impact. Also, it's an enclosed firing position that is reflecting a lot of the sound, totally overwhelming the recorder.

The background shots you hear before she starts firing are pretty good!

Broadcast quality recordings are one of the best video sources, so if you or any other guys have any pointers there, they could be useful.

As you mention it, I was also in Iraq during OIF, but with the Brits mainly in and around the Baghdad area.

You'll know from experience that pretty much anything and everything was on display there, so you can be assured that "realism matters" will be applied.

Edited by Protegimus

CSM2 is now available via the Yoma Addon Sync repository.

The Auto config URL is:

http://www.computerrepair.uk.net/updater/ArmA2-repo.7z

This should make updating much quicker and easier, significantly reducing bandwidth usage.

Everything appears to be setup fine, any issues downloading let me know.

If I hear more on the Six rSync Updater network, then that distribution method will also be used.

How difficult would it be to make P85 tanks

use your sound effects?.

Not difficult at all.

If you post the relevant config from the .pbo you've done and the correct armament for the P85, I'll update it.

Edited by Protegimus

Thanks a lot, @Protegimus, it works, no problems so far.:)

Edited by gulag

Does this work with ACE2

And can i use the ACE2 Sound Mod at the same time with this mod?

Does this work with ACE2

And can i use the ACE2 Sound Mod at the same time with this mod?

Yes you can use both and it is clearly explained in the readme file.

The different sounds are in by design for variation and also as a way of testing new samples.

What we do keep will be close variations rather than completely different sounding weapons as Chammy said above.

New M16 sound is pretty decent, but the ArmA engine is struggling to reproduce the dynamics. Nevertheless, I included it because when there is not much else going on nearby and you fire it, it is the closest thing in the game to what it sounds like when firing an assault rifle. I'm still working on improving it - distant sounds can be wierd at times with the current mix and although it has tremendous power in the original, it isn't often rendered in the game as such.

Wait until you hear it on your own system mate, Youtube videos only give an indication. It isn't perfect, but on decent kit it's a lot better than YT can show - I still enjoy the videos though!

See above

As stated this is beta test while working towards CSM3, so content is not final.

I understand what you mean about the M16 having a very lightweight sound when you fire it, the lower bass was in the original samples to convey the power and effect of the blast pressure. The new sample I produced is very effective in this regard, so depending on how it works out we may go in this new direction.

As mentioned a number of times, most Youtube videos are not much of a reference for gunshots. They are compressed and the sample rate is low making them very brash and most importantly they are usually recorded on kit which is simply not designed to cope with the dynamics.

All you hear is a small part of the blast, then the gain control cuts in and limits the high level leaving you mainly with the sound of the working parts for the M240 (the one in the background sounds better) and a very attenuated M16 sound where the echos are almost as loud as the report. Some of the character is there though.

M249 video also has the character, but no impact. Also, it's an enclosed firing position that is reflecting a lot of the sound, totally overwhelming the recorder.

The background shots you hear before she starts firing are pretty good!

Broadcast quality recordings are one of the best video sources, so if you or any other guys have any pointers there, they could be useful.

As you mention it, I was also in Iraq during OIF, but with the Brits mainly in and around the Baghdad area.

You'll know from experience that pretty much anything and everything was on display there, so you can be assured that "realism matters" will be applied.

I understand about the problem of video recordings, however they are the correct sounds of those weapons. It is good to know that you served in Iraq like myself, so I know you are working hard in making this as real as possible.

I also understand that it must be frustrating to have a no one like myself complain about your hard work.. I am not looking at it as complaining, but helping. The current sounds of those weapons and the fact that the sound changes from time to time, is just plainly not real. Weapon sounds do not change at all, except when you put distance into place or a change in environment. But sitting in one spot and empting magz, then reloading should not change the sound of the weapon. Once again this is all said with the highest respect..

Edited by Meatball0311

The Auto config URL is:

http://www.computerrepair.uk.net/updater/ArmA2-repo.7z

This should make updating much quicker and easier, significantly reducing bandwidth usage.

Everything appears to be setup fine, any issues downloading let me know.

If I hear more on the Six rSync Updater network, then that distribution method will also be used.

Not difficult at all.

If you post the relevant config from the .pbo you've done and the correct armament for the P85, I'll update it.

So I need a seperate config file besides the P85 weapon config?. We cannot just change the Soundfile source under the P85 CannonCores? essentially telling it to use a certain sound file in your CSM2 pbo?

Like say "D-10ST; cannoncore"

yaddy yadd

sound = {\Soundmod\weapons\100mm_fire.wss ect.?

I'm totaly lost when it comes to writing my own config, but I wasent really aware that you needed one.

Edited by TristanYockell

So I need a seperate config file besides the P85 weapon config?...

Yeah, for compatibility we'll use a small additional config file.

You've got it pretty much and from your other post I was under the impression that you'd already had a go at editing the config file; so just send me what you've got (or in the absence of that, just send me the original config file) and some details about the correct armament for the P85 and I'll see what I can do.

Protegimus

Yeah, for compatibility we'll use a small additional config file.

You've got it pretty much and from your other post I was under the impression that you'd already had a go at editing the config file; so just send me what you've got (or in the absence of that, just send me the original config file) and some details about the correct armament for the P85 and I'll see what I can do.

Protegimus

This is the relevant weapon names in P85's cfgweapons.hpp. The Coxial MG on tanks already uses the new sounds which are great by the way. Other than that, you already have sounds in the proper calibers already. IE 85mm 100mm 105mm 120mm 125mm ect.

class p85_ASU_D70 - use 85mm sound

class p85_PT_D56 - use 85mm sound

class p85_GV_2A31 - use 125mm sound, enless new howitzer sounds available

class p85_PAL_155 -use 125mm sound, enless new howitzer sounds available

class p85_PN_2A44 - use 125mm sound, enless new howitzer sounds available

class p85_Leo1_L7 - use 105mm sound

class p85_Leo2_M120 - use 120mm sound

class p85_105_M68 - use 105mm sound

class p85_120_M256 - use 120mm sound

class p85_T55_D10 - use 100mm sound

class p85_T62_2A20 - use 120mm sound

class p85_125_D81M - use 125mm sound

Thats basically it for P85 tank weapons, minus bmp 1 2 and bradly/lav bushmasters, but if you make a simple config I can add them after.

Download link for P85's weapons config file : http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f=6a87951d11999aa4adacdd15f2e41ff1

Vehicle weapons start at about 90% down the config file.

Edited by TristanYockell

I understand about the problem of video recordings, however they are the correct sounds of those weapons. It is good to know that you served in Iraq like myself, so I know you are working hard in making this as real as possible.

I also understand that it must be frustrating to have a no one like myself complain about your hard work.. I am not looking at it as complaining, but helping. The current sounds of those weapons and the fact that the sound changes from time to time, is just plainly not real. Weapon sounds do not change at all, except when you put distance into place or a change in environment. But sitting in one spot and empting magz, then reloading should not change the sound of the weapon. Once again this is all said with the highest respect..

Amen to that :p

lol... If we could get the accurate M249 sound, even if it does sound like the one in that video, I would be a very DAMN HAPPY MAN!!!!!

Considering I am a machine gunner myself.

:yay:

I do appreciate all the hard work though...

Maybe you could just test it out with that sound? haha, and I would always use that version... lol

Amen to that :p

lol... If we could get the accurate M249 sound, even if it does sound like the one in that video, I would be a very DAMN HAPPY MAN!!!!!

Considering I am a machine gunner myself.

:yay:

I do appreciate all the hard work though...

Maybe you could just test it out with that sound? haha, and I would always use that version... lol

working on an update as we speak:)

Thanks Chammy, amazing work!!

Edited by Reezo

working on an update as we speak:)

Yeah a BIG huge thanks for all of your hard work:yay:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow! wouldnt it be great to get a hold of these files! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzS7SgBlp4g

Edited by Meatball0311

Just did a tour of the forums for my favorite addons and mods. Going back on tour to say THANK YOU! For all your hard work. Much appreciated. Counting the hours for your update.

Yeah a BIG huge thanks for all of your hard work:yay:

Wow! wouldnt it be great to get a hold of these files! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzS7SgBlp4g

Yeah, that quality of recording would provide excellent material for the mod - thanks for asking him ;)

I understand about the problem of video recordings, however they are the correct sounds of those weapons.

No mate, they are just crappy Youtube recordings of the weapons being fired.

Sure they have some of the characteristics, but they sound nothing like firing or being near one that is being fired.

The current sounds of those weapons and the fact that the sound changes from time to time, is just plainly not real. Weapon sounds do not change at all, except when you put distance into place or a change in environment. But sitting in one spot and empting magz, then reloading should not change the sound of the weapon. Once again this is all said with the highest respect..

Yes and as has been clearly explained the variation is deliberate.

Currently the game engine does not natively provide a way to use different sounds for different environments, nor does it provide a way to control when the different sounds are played - only a probability.

Weapons do sound different when fired in open ground compared to enclosed locations, or around buildings and other objects; so although the variation is a compromise, it's a compromise based on experience to improve the game environment.

A single weapon sound irrespective of how good/bad it is makes that environment very sterile.

As stated, this particular aspect may or may not stay. Chammy has taken time to balance the sounds more to one environment in the past and that was one of the principles we agreed on for CSM3. With OA not far way, I'm just investigating options to make things more flexible and avoid having to maintain two config code bases.

CSM2 is for development, but still a huge improvement over stock and most other over-produced, Hollywood, or synthetic sounds. If you prefer other production styles for weapons, take advantage of the modularity and use them.

I appreciate the feedback anyway. Some of your points are obviously spot on, but an element of gameplay is required - what's important is to find the right balance. I will put your right on one thing though, it is not a battle with other mods. We often collaborate and an improvement in one clearly leads to others adopting ideas or material which is great.

Finally, we want to improve things, but that isn't going to happen just by using search engines and Youtube.

Protegimus

Interesting read that, although I don't think this game has ANY sound mods that sound Hollywood or synthetic, just different, all striving for what they 'believe' is 'realistic'. This whole 'realism' arguement is flawed until games companies work harder to get the sound aspect to match the graphics in terms of research & development and money spent. Simple fact is the audio aspect is usually low in priority.