Sign in to follow this  
chammy

New Sound Mod in the making, slowly but surely

So do I remove ACEX_SM? and comment out the CSM2 userconfig?

It's really up to you if you want to use ACEX_SM with CSM2.

If you do, leave the CSM2 client side config untouched.

If you just want to use CSM2 with ACE 2, remove @ACEX_SM from your mod line and comment out the the CSM2 userconfig directive.

If you want to use CSM2 and another sound mod like RH Heli's together, do the same.

Protegimus

Another suggestion which probably sounds pointless to most of you but could you make the movement sounds louder? when i say movement i mean as in walking running etc... i find them very quiet and as silly as it sounds i like the tension i get when i'm creeping through forests at night hearing the crunch of the terrain wondering when that crunch will be replaced by the sound of gun fire tearing through my squad mates :D

Just remove:

CSM2_c_Gear.pbo

CSM2_s_Gear.pbo

to get the original ArmA 2 footsteps back.

Protegimus

Just remove:

CSM2_c_Gear.pbo

CSM2_s_Gear.pbo

to get the original ArmA 2 footsteps back.

Protegimus

Yes sorry i didn't think of that :p :o

It's really up to you if you want to use ACEX_SM with CSM2.

If you do, leave the CSM2 client side config untouched.

If you just want to use CSM2 with ACE 2, remove @ACEX_SM from your mod line and comment out the the CSM2 userconfig directive.

If you want to use CSM2 and another sound mod like RH Heli's together, do the same.

Protegimus

Appreciate the time in answering, but I have one more question. So CSM2 (standalone) covers all sounds, correct? and if I used lets say RH Heli's then RH would cover only the helo sounds, correct?

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for your time

When I comment out the userconfig directive, I get an error message that says the following...

csm_error.jpg

Another suggestion which probably sounds pointless to most of you but could you make the movement sounds louder? when i say movement i mean as in walking running etc... i find them very quiet and as silly as it sounds i like the tension i get when i'm creeping through forests at night hearing the crunch of the terrain wondering when that crunch will be replaced by the sound of gun fire tearing through my squad mates :D

I'm working on that buddy. You are right, battle rattle is pretty noisey.

So to get this right.

If i use ACEX_SM + CSM2 and i dont comment out the CMS2 UC then CSM only changes sounds ACEX_SM hasnt changed? And if i remove ACEX_SM from the modline and comment out the CSM2 UC then it covers everything?

Heh bit confused. Sorry gents. :o

And thank you very much for the update. :)

@Binkowski:

It seems you are using the old version of the addon. I had this error message before, too.

Downloading the updated version should fix it: http://www.filefactory.com/file/a1617c5/n/CSM2_updated_beta.zip

At least it worked for me...

Dimitri that archive is out of date, please use the thread download link to obtain the current version.

Protegimus

So do I remove ACEX_SM? and comment out the CSM2 userconfig?

I run ACEX_SM and CSM2, without modifying anything and it worked fine that way.

Only comment out ACEX_SM in the userconfig when you are not using the ACEX_SM soundmod. IF you are running that soundmod, you should leave it as it is.

Got it working without ACE2 please add the actual/updated CSM version to the first post!! :)

Have to test it more...

Dimitri that archive is out of date, please use the thread download link to obtain the current version.

Really? Then I'm lost too - because the 'newer' version gives me lots of error messages only and will not even allow ArmA to boot up, while the other archive works like a charm...

Please update the first post in this thread, its very confusing and annoying for new users to have to read through 30 some thing posts to find what they need. I only found out there was a new version by accident.

Thanks for the release though, sounds great!

New version works great for me (with ACE2). However the M4 has the same low - no treble sound so maybe its not new?

Yes little confusing but the DL link should be the one from Protegimus - same as the first beta some page/s back.

First page link would be better. :)

New version works great for me (with ACE2). However the M4 has the same low - no treble sound so maybe its not new?

Protegimus increased the db of the M4, M16 and the M240.

The sound is flat and needs to be more SHARP. As they are now they sounds like they have a cheap silencer on :p

Sweet thanks for the help guys. I figured that I had an old version ;).

Protegimus increased the db of the M4, M16 and the M240.

The sound is flat and needs to be more SHARP. As they are now they sounds like they have a cheap silencer on :p

You sure you don't have a pair of cheap headphones on?

If you provide a useful reference I'll look at them again, otherwise you'll just have to wait until Chammy has some time to do something.

Please post what equipment and specification system you have, to make feedback as informative as possible.

Protegimus

I dont think hardware matters here when were talking about the M4. It has no treble. Very low volume and has no edge/treble/crispness.

I have a NAD system. And it sounds "dull" both in the speakers and in headphones. Comparison with ACE2 M4 it is sharp and loud and clear. However the sound is a good one wich sounds like an M4, but its just too dull. The walking sound from the feet are crisp and when i shoot the M4 it sounds like its not from the game. Or like its shot from behind a bush if you know what i mean. Like it has a bit of occlusion on. Just like turning the treble down to "0".

Hope it explains it a bit more. :)

EDIT: Forgot the most important. Im using an Audigy2 wich might be the reason. I know Mark and prolly most of you use Xfi cards. That might be the prob? I know - im changing it when i can. Wonder if anyone else with Xfi also find the M4 a bit dull or not? Might be the reason.

Edited by Alex72

M16's, M4's, derivatives and M240 receive a +2.5dB uplift. They are now better balanced with AK's - thanks for the reference 11_HARLEY_11. Increase to burst mode will follow depending on feedback.

If they are still not loud enough for you or sound 'tinny', you should check your sound card settings and try disabling any software rendered effects such as pseudo surround, dynamic range levelling or similar and ensure your speaker settings match what you are actually using (headphones/5.1, etc.).

Other than that increase your volume level or try it on better kit as they are making my ears bleed.

Sounds really nice now Protegimus! thanks very much for the db boost.

This Mod is truly sensational!

....I have to agree with Alex72 in that the M4 still sounds a bit muffled compared to the others.

btw I'm using a sound card (a bit old though but better than on board) and I'm set to headphones.

edit: hmm my sound card is Audigy2 as well.

Edited by 11_HARLEY_11

Well, im not able to test CSM2 in its full capacity. Not sure if it's the version I have or the patch but just certain weapon sounds I can hear, some are just vanilla. Does anyone have a pointer?

I have tried all the available sound mods for Arma2 and now i can say this mod is the best so far. I tested this with beach head mission from Chesty Puller campaign and the assault was awesome with realistic distant gunfire sounds. Sound of the MG supressing enemies to ground or jet using cannon. Amazing job guys. :)

Hmm...most rifles sound like they are fired in a certain distance (like you hear them on TV from embedded reporters). It doesnt really feel like you are firing a rifle/gun from your hands.

Didnt test it with ACE2...

I dont think hardware matters here when were talking about the M4. It has no treble. Very low volume and has no edge/treble/crispness.

I have a NAD system. And it sounds "dull" both in the speakers and in headphones. Comparison with ACE2 M4 it is sharp and loud and clear. However the sound is a good one wich sounds like an M4, but its just too dull. The walking sound from the feet are crisp and when i shoot the M4 it sounds like its not from the game. Or like its shot from behind a bush if you know what i mean. Like it has a bit of occlusion on. Just like turning the treble down to "0".

Hope it explains it a bit more. :)

EDIT: Forgot the most important. Im using an Audigy2 wich might be the reason. I know Mark and prolly most of you use Xfi cards. That might be the prob? I know - im changing it when i can. Wonder if anyone else with Xfi also find the M4 a bit dull or not? Might be the reason.

It does sound slightly 'muffled' but it doesn't bother me. What I find interesting is that I get different sounds from the same gun if I fire a lot. I'm assuming this is by design but can't be sure.

All-in-all this mod is awesome and is on my keeper list.