Sign in to follow this  
chammy

New Sound Mod in the making, slowly but surely

Hey, nice soundmod! Could you guys please fix your class inheritance tree?

Updating base class Single->Single, by CSM2_c_Weapons\config.cpp/cfgWeapons/m16a4_acg/Single/
Updating base class Burst->Burst, by CSM2_c_Weapons\config.cpp/cfgWeapons/m16a4_acg/Burst/
Updating base class M4A1_AIM_SD_camo->ACE_M4A1_ACOG, by CSM2_c_Weapons\config.cpp/cfgWeapons/ACE_M4A1_ACOG_SD/
Updating base class M4A1_AIM_SD_camo->M4A1_Aim, by CSM2_c_Weapons\config.cpp/cfgWeapons/ACE_M4A1_Aim_SD/

i have a bug when i use the mod i understand the fire of my weapons and one of my friend (using CSM) but i don't understand other people fire (i using ace)

The only problem I've noticed - and I am asking this to other players, to compare my experience with yours - is that while the sounds have "immersion", they tend to sound the same regardless of distance.

My gameplay is sort of becoming affected by this as I tend to rely on acoustics a lot..

whether an enemy is at 50m or 150m their weapon sounds always seem kinda near..immersive but near.

It took me a while to notice because the sound themselves are not "raw" and feel rich of ambience..problem is it's really messing my perception of the battle and this can lead to a lot of problems.

Has anyone experienced this chance in situational awareness (in a bad way) from this mod? Be aware this is a tricky one to test, it took me a while to even start suspecting.

My personal opinion is that the sounds would need a little more "fading" with distance..otherwise everything kinda gets "close to my face".

Great work anyway,

The speed of sound is broken in the game atm and this affects most soundmods plus vanilla sounds. Dont know if that what you mean but there are no delay when shots being fired from a far making it hard to know if the enemy/friendly are far or close.

The other thing sounds have is a range limit where the sounds get occlusion effect on them and this range is normally set to 1000m but can be moved back or forth by anyone making a soundmod. Since you talked abou 50-150m i guess this is not what you meant.

I have made a ticket of the speed of sound problem and it affects everyone (pretty sure of that). However there are only 10 people voting for the ticket so it might or might not get fixed. I suggest you (everyone with the problem) register and vote: http://dev-heaven.net/issues/8244

Thanks.

The speed of sound is broken in the game atm and this affects most soundmods plus vanilla sounds. Dont know if that what you mean but there are no delay when shots being fired from a far making it hard to know if the enemy/friendly are far or close.

The other thing sounds have is a range limit where the sounds get occlusion effect on them and this range is normally set to 1000m but can be moved back or forth by anyone making a soundmod. Since you talked abou 50-150m i guess this is not what you meant.

I have made a ticket of the speed of sound problem and it affects everyone (pretty sure of that). However there are only 10 people voting for the ticket so it might or might not get fixed. I suggest you (everyone with the problem) register and vote: http://dev-heaven.net/issues/8244

Thanks.

I think his talking about the sound volume not fading down at distance. I never had this problem with CSM2 but i did with ACEX_SM!

Lowering volume/ audible distance of the emitter do help somewhat, but are no solution to audio engine limitations. It´s especially noticeable when running without HW accelleration and EAX (Vista) - goes for any A2 soundmod.

On another note, an equal immersion killer is that sound frequencies hardly get affected while travelling, if no occlusion occurs by an object. All freq bands appear to propagate energy equally well over distance - at least on Vista. I.e. if an AR sample has a discreet click in it, originating from the firing mechanism, the player will hear this click even at max audible distance. So you can either have a sample that sounds appropriate when near the emitter (high freq), or when further away (low freq). Not both. Until the audio engine gets an update, we either fight treble wars, paintball skirmishes (plopp - plopp), or something inbetween.

Yep. Much to be desired for sure. Hopefully the engine gets a bit of an overhaul with OA. Hopefully.

I think his talking about the sound volume not fading down at distance. I never had this problem with CSM2 but i did with ACEX_SM!

Yes, I think this is the problem, same thing happens to me.

@Protegimus and @Chammy, thank's for update, and having regard to the audio engine limitations, this is the most realistic sound mod so far, keep it up.

@Protegimus and @Chammy, thank's for update, and having regard to the audio engine limitations, this is the most realistic sound mod so far, keep it up.

Indeed. Having tested Hi-Fi yesterday. Today i changed CSM2 back again. I still like this the most of all sound mods out there.

Yes, indeed, if CSM2 is used in intense combat, well, he has no competition so far.

Hi Chammy,

I get a strange "wump" sound between the bang/crack and echo of round when firing the M4 type weapons (best way that I can descibe it). It just doesn't sound right. M-16's sound great. I'm using ACE_SM with your sound mod.

[...] if an AR sample has a discreet click in it, originating from the firing mechanism, the player will hear this click even at max audible distance. So you can either have a sample that sounds appropriate when near the emitter (high freq), or when further away (low freq). Not both. Until the audio engine gets an update, we either fight treble wars, paintball skirmishes (plopp - plopp), or something inbetween.

Isn't it possible to play 2 sounds at once when the trigger is pulled ?

One sound is the normal shooting sound with maximal range and the other is the "mechanical" with like 20 meters fadeout-range ?

Great sound mod by the way, I really love it !

1) I was in fact referring to the sounds having a general "proximity" effect even when far ahead. I think that "treble-reduction" problems are part of this matter as well as "intensity-reduction" problems.

Treble loss, amplitude decrease and ambience are the main factors. I am sorry I don't know how it works in the ArmA engine. All sound mods might have gone "wrong" lately, I don't know as I have played with CSM2 only for the past month.

2) Make sure you test HiFi without ACEX_SM in the mod command line, otherwise most of the sounds will come from ACEX_SM (current HiFi limitation, they're testing it to make it right on the Vanilla build and then they will look for full ACE compatibility). I am trying them now and most of the sounds are quite impressive.

I don't know which one is better, I just download them all, try them and use one or the other according to tastes, personal mood and month of the year, I guess.

All I know is these guys are really great at what they do. Thanks!

Can someone please help motivate me?> I am afraid I've hit a momentum halt, real life has me by the balls right now, I am actually almost done with an update but this past couple of weeks I've been real busy. I need to get ready for another court date :crazy_o:

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

Just wondering, is CSM3 still being developed separately from CSM2? Or will these betas become CSM3 at some point?

it's still being developed, but for meantime I want to update CSM2 first. CSM3 will be modules.

---------- Post added at 08:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

Hi Chammy,

I get a strange "wump" sound between the bang/crack and echo of round when firing the M4 type weapons (best way that I can descibe it). It just doesn't sound right. M-16's sound great. I'm using ACE_SM with your sound mod.

Yes, I have not tried to update Pro had released just yet so I do not know quite yet what you are talking about. I am hoping this next one will fix that.

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 AM ----------

Isn't it possible to play 2 sounds at once when the trigger is pulled ?

One sound is the normal shooting sound with maximal range and the other is the "mechanical" with like 20 meters fadeout-range ?

Great sound mod by the way, I really love it !

I don't quiet know what you mean. And thanks :o

Can someone please help motivate me?> I am afraid I've hit a momentum halt, real life has me by the balls right now, I am actually almost done with an update but this past couple of weeks I've been real busy. I need to get ready for another court date :crazy_o:

it's still being developed, but for meantime I want to update CSM2 first. CSM3 will be modules.

Here is your motivation

Court, eh? What did you do lol :p

Do want update^^

And modules ftw

This is the most realistic sound mod so far, and thank you for any effort that you make for this mod.

Here is your motivation

Court, eh? What did you do lol :p

My ex filed a contempt against a court order so I have to clear it up. It all depends on the mood of the judge or whether or not he's a member of the Free Masons, I could be right as day and her be at the most fault and I can still get the short end of the stick. That's how it was 4 weeks ago with my last court hearing regarding my kid (custody battle), I have so much dirt on my ex but the judge felt it was not necessary to change custody, shit on a stick I 'll say. Needless to say I am burnt out, not of the mod but with real life right now, then I have a crappy work schedule.

Chammy, take care of yourself first, then finish the mod. Just know this, even if you never finish it, I'll keep it in its current state - that's how good it is.

My ex filed a contempt against a court order so I have to clear it up. It all depends on the mood of the judge or whether or not he's a member of the Free Masons, I could be right as day and her be at the most fault and I can still get the short end of the stick. That's how it was 4 weeks ago with my last court hearing regarding my kid (custody battle), I have so much dirt on my ex but the judge felt it was not necessary to change custody, shit on a stick I 'll say. Needless to say I am burnt out, not of the mod but with real life right now, then I have a crappy work schedule.

Screw this mod for now and take care of your real life, ArmA 2 is just a freakin' game.

So take your time and get your life sorted out, good luck with everything :)

keep ya chin up boss!

You got alot of folk here backing you mate, including me. Just shout me an I'll start swimming your way.. ;)