Sign in to follow this  
chammy

New Sound Mod in the making, slowly but surely

I'm having problems with the latest version. Sounds for guns are changing at random, switching between default and the modded sound. Most noticeable with m16a4, also happens with AK107, possibly happening to any other number of soundfx.

I have included a link to a couple of example .mp3's showing the problem. I was standing in one spot firing off ammo at different rates and fire modes, only Single shot seems to change sound, both full auto and burst seem to always sound the same (although I dont know if its the right sound for CSM2)

Initially I noticed this while using ACE2 and its sound mod, I thought it might be conflicting, especially since with the m16a4 I can hear 3 distinctly different sounds for fire; Default, ACE_SM, and CSM2. However, I tried CSM2 on it's own (with // #define CSM2_ACEX_SM) and it has the same problems, even 3 sounds for m16a4's single shot....which is odd, so I guess the third sound isn't ACE_SM, actually listening to the mp3s now its sounds like a sniper rifle.

M16A4:

http://rapidshare.com/files/335833756/m16a4.mp3.html

^ quite easy to notice the problem here, the first four shots are different. I think it goes : csm2, default, csm2, sniper.

AK107:

http://rapidshare.com/files/335834201/AK107.mp3.html

^Notice the difference between the 1st and 2nd shot. Then @ 41 seconds the single shot sound different again.

I'm having problems with the latest version. Sounds for guns are changing at random, switching between default and the modded sound. Most noticeable with m16a4, also happens with AK107, possibly happening to any other number of soundfx.

I have included a link to a couple of example .mp3's showing the problem. I was standing in one spot firing off ammo at different rates and fire modes, only Single shot seems to change sound, both full auto and burst seem to always sound the same (although I dont know if its the right sound for CSM2)

Initially I noticed this while using ACE2 and its sound mod, I thought it might be conflicting, especially since with the m16a4 I can hear 3 distinctly different sounds for fire; Default, ACE_SM, and CSM2. However, I tried CSM2 on it's own (with // #define CSM2_ACEX_SM) and it has the same problems, even 3 sounds for m16a4's single shot....which is odd, so I guess the third sound isn't ACE_SM, actually listening to the mp3s now its sounds like a sniper rifle.

M16A4:

http://rapidshare.com/files/335833756/m16a4.mp3.html

^ quite easy to notice the problem here, the first four shots are different. I think it goes : csm2, default, csm2, sniper.

AK107:

http://rapidshare.com/files/335834201/AK107.mp3.html

^Notice the difference between the 1st and 2nd shot. Then @ 41 seconds the single shot sound different again.

If you read a few comments back you will see the sound change is by design while they test out the beta :rolleyes:

If you read a few comments back you will see the sound change is by design while they test out the beta :rolleyes:

Weird way of testing if you ask me, its completely random and doesn't happen only after reload, the sound change is so off putting when using the mod you cant get a "feel" for which sounds are best. If the 1st post was updated to include important information like this and release info, not exactly a hard or time consuming thing to do, then people wouldn't have to be required to read a 48 page thread before they posted problems. Help us help you. ;)

Weird way of testing if you ask me, its completely random and doesn't happen only after reload, the sound change is so off putting when using the mod you cant get a "feel" for which sounds are best. If the 1st post was updated to include important information like this and release info, not exactly a hard or time consuming thing to do, then people wouldn't have to be required to read a 48 page thread before they posted problems. Help us help you. ;)

Read page 46 :)

No mate, they are just crappy Youtube recordings of the weapons being fired. Sure they have some of the characteristics, but they sound nothing like firing or being near one that is being fired.

I have to strongly disagree with this statement, except the fact that they are crappy YouTube recordings. Having fired these weapons personally and having these weapons being fired in close proximity to myself. They are correct in nature. Of course we could argue until we are blue in our faces on accuracy of sounds, but in all they are way closer to actuality than the CSM2 sounds atm.

I have no idea, but only a concept of how sounds are implemented into the game or created. I am only suggesting that the sounds I supplied be used as a bases in moving in the direction of accurate sounds for those weapons.

For example.. the M16 is not a low sounding weapon and has a prominent thump of the bolt when fired. It is hard to put into words, but on the video of the guy shooting the M16A4 you can hear the crack and thump like what I am trying to explain.

The M249 has a sort of chain sounding, charging handle or belt sounding noise to it when fired and would be more of lower sound but not too much lower than the M16. (they both fire 5.56).

In all I know you guys are working on it, I am just putting my little two cents into the mix.

Edited by Meatball0311

Yes and as has been clearly explained the variation is deliberate.

Currently the game engine does not natively provide a way to use different sounds for different environments, nor does it provide a way to control when the different sounds are played - only a probability.

Weapons do sound different when fired in open ground compared to enclosed locations, or around buildings and other objects; so although the variation is a compromise, it's a compromise based on experience to improve the game environment.

A single weapon sound irrespective of how good/bad it is makes that environment very sterile.

I love the addon, but I find it weird that the weapon sound will randomly change, and significantly to boot. I rely on the weapons making one sound to identify weather it's a friend or foe. With the variation it's almost impossible. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with having one sound for a weapon, and I think most of the community doesn't either. I have the utmost respect for what you're doing, but I just thought I'd provide some feedback. :)

Edited by b00ce

Agreed with b00ce, I didn't like that the sounds changed on the weapons either, mostly because the gun should only have 1 sound for the same reason he said.

I have to admit that I'm also finding the multiple gun sounds a bit off putting. I've even gone as far as reverting back to the previous version of the weapon pbo to eliminate it.

Please don't take this as a criticism of the mod as I'm loving everything about it except the changing gun sounds.

I've also noticed that the Su-25 sound doesn't alter when the throttle is increased or decreased. Apologies if this is a known issue.

Keep up the great work.

@ Chammy

You work further on CSM3 ? Or is the csm2 after the beta status the csm3 ?

Sorry for my ignorance

which pbo is the cqb sights stuff in?

Eh? This is the Chammy's Sound Mod thread, you're looking for the ACE 2 Thread.

Chammys Mod is the best if you search a real feeling standing close or in a gunfight.

But i agree, there should be diffrent sounds for fire a weapon as player and hear a guy fire his weapon close to you.

At the moment the sounds are good for other ppl firing their guns, but if you fire your own gun it should be a other sound than the current sounds.

Thats one of the big problem of the other mods out, they have good firing sounds if you fire your weapon, but a gunfight around will sound bad and not realistic. Try hifi, vop or all those mods, you wont find realistic gunfight sounds at distance...

And in my eyes thats a bigger immersionkiller than wrong flat sounds till firing your own gun.

my 2 cents

Edited by Pain0815

Chammys Mod is the best if you search a real feeling standing close or in a gunfight.

But i agree, there should be diffrent sounds for fire a weapon as player and hear a guy fire his weapon close to you.

At the moment the sounds are good for other ppl firing their guns, but if you fire your own gun it should be a other sound than the current sounds.

Thats one of the big problem of the other mods out, they have good firing sounds if you fire your weapon, but a gunfight around will sound bad and not realistic. Try hifi, vop or all those mods, you wont find realistic gunfight sounds at distance...

And in my eyes thats a bigger immersionkiller than wrong flat sounds till firing your own gun.

my 2 cents

Arma 2.... New game, new sound arrays, new sound configurations.

You know, give us all alittle time to learn.. sound over distance is a new feature, as are the amount of fire sounds per weapon and many other things...

Also, how do you make a sound taken directly from the source (ie, less than a meter from the muzzle) and make it sound like a sound taken at a distance 200/300m... with A2 limited DSP ? Occlusion alone ?

Currently you cannot, however if you moan at BIS enough they may add 'internal' firing sounds (ie, 1st person & 3rd person). Why on earth they never did this when they did it for vehical sounds is beyond me.....

Arma 2.... New game, new sound arrays, new sound configurations.

You know, give us all alittle time to learn.. sound over distance is a new feature, as are the amount of fire sounds per weapon and many other things...

Also, how do you make a sound taken directly from the source (ie, less than a meter from the muzzle) and make it sound like a sound taken at a distance 200/300m... with A2 limited DSP ? Occlusion alone ?

Currently you cannot, however if you moan at BIS enough they may add 'internal' firing sounds (ie, 1st person & 3rd person). Why on earth they never did this when they did it for vehical sounds is beyond me.....

Funnily, I was just thinking about this. :p

Would it be possible to set all weapon sounds to silent, so that when firing a weapon, it makes no sound?

Then, a script would be created, that fires an eventhandler every time a gun goes off, identifying the weapon and the range from the player (the script would be clientside) and then playing a sound from a selection of sounds for that weapon, based on the range?

Just something I was thinking of as I was making my coffee really, probably the stuff of fantasy but who knows? :p

Funnily, I was just thinking about this. :p

Would it be possible to set all weapon sounds to silent, so that when firing a weapon, it makes no sound?

Then, a script would be created, that fires an eventhandler every time a gun goes off, identifying the weapon and the range from the player (the script would be clientside) and then playing a sound from a selection of sounds for that weapon, based on the range?

Just something I was thinking of as I was making my coffee really, probably the stuff of fantasy but who knows? :p

Wouldnt that make a truckload of lag?. good idea, just figure it would be really hard on the cpu.

I had rather assumed separate 1st/3rd person sounds was possible, as you say because vehicles have this. At least one game I know of uses stereo bites with near and far sounds separated into the left and right channels then on playback balance is set according to distance but I suppose that cannot be config'd in ArmA.

BIS created internal and external engine sound arrays, so you can only imagine what could be possible if they did the same to the weapons.

As regards to scripting, I'm sure the guy from XAM did something like this for A1, but yes I should imagine cpu/net heavy :(

And yes, other games have 1st/3rd person sounds, most recent I think I've since would be Day of Defeat source which seperates the channels for near/far sounds. However A2 doesn't support stereo sounds (as it creates a stereo field using mono sounds).

Anyways, for now all we can do is experiment with what we have and do our best. Sorry for hijacking the thread Chammy ;)

Not sure if this has been reported... but when using this mod there is a bug with the KA-52 when you fire the cannon on high it sounds as if its being fired 1 shot at a time.

It sort of makes sense (from BIS perspective) that an engine would sound different from the inside compared to the outside while a weapon should have the same sound. That is assuming the engine is actually capable to play the sound correctly regardless of if it's fired in your face as opposed to X meters away, which apparently it cannot.

As for the youtube vids, I have to agree most of them just don't sound the same as the weapons sound IRL. Microphones just can't seem to record those volumes/frequencies properly.

As for the youtube vids, I have to agree most of them just don't sound the same as the weapons sound IRL. Microphones just can't seem to record those volumes/frequencies properly.

Right. And I think it is important for people to understand that sounding 100% accurate in game doesn't mean it's going to sound good. The most important thing (and I think this is where Chammy is coming from) is that the weapons sound as good as they can within the limitations of hardware, source material etc. and knowing that success means all the sounds chosen not only individually sound good but sound good together within the game itself. He's crafting a soundscape.

I 've found that using vanilla sounds or other sound mods had me wanting to turn down the sound during heavy firefights as it was more like a cacophony than a symphony and left my ears "tired." This shortens the time I can play before needing a break ;)

This approach may be less realistic to some, but I like the fact that he's looking at the sounds from a broader perspective versus individual accuracy.

I noticed in the readme that this mod is compatible with Romeo angos vehicle sounds, and in the readme it says to just copy the pbo files from the RT files into the @CSM2 addons folder, but do I have to remove the CSM2_c_aircraft.pbo and CSM2_c_Helicopters.pbo ...........etc files? or will the RT files just overwrite the chammy ones?

Cheers

SD

So I'm trying to use this with @ACEX_SM, now I can file the file mentioned in my userconfig folders, but what exactly do I need to do with it?

What do I need to do with this:

#define CSM2_ACEX_SM

CSM2 works together with ACE2 @ACEX_SM, though support is not yet complete.

As both mod's are beta and still being developed, further support and changes

will be added.

To configure CSM2 to override ACEX_SM Weapon classes, the:

#define CSM2_ACEX_SM

statement is included in the client configuration file:

...\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\userconfig\CSM2\csm2_clientside_config.hpp

If you are using ACE 2 but do not use @ACEX_SM sounds (i.e. you wish to use

CSM2 standalone or with another sound mod, then change the above statement

to a comment by preceding it with '//' as follows:

// #define CSM2_ACEX_SM

CSM2 will then no longer check for @ACEX_SM dependencies and will start

without the popup message.

I dont mind weapons having the same sounds for the shooter and the people standing next to it. It doesnt differ that much in RL (in RL its more where you stand to the muzzle that matters, behind, to the side or at the recieving end). If we want to have a more distinct weapon rattle (chainlink, bolt sounds and so on) we have the "reload" sound that can add that. If that is defined properly it will only be audible a few feet from the gun. That way the sounds can be manipulated to have different sounds close and in the distance. The weapon sound, the "bang" itself will be the same, but the sounds of bolts and whatever can be defined to only be audible close to the weapon itself.