Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

Luhgnut;1539437']25KM by 4m is the view. don't you know it's cutting edge to look through the world through a toilet paper tube?

25km is the terrain distance, the actual objects stop rendering anywhere between 1200 and 1800m...

sorry cebo...serious question then. I have tried setting my view distance to max on DR but for some reason it always seems to still be a very short distance away. I'll try and post some screenies but other than the advanced options is there a way I can get DR to look better? I keep seeing all these beautiful screenies of DR and mine look nothing like that, I can run arma2 with everything on max, same with dirt2 which uses the same engine as DR so why can't I seem to find the settings that make DR look halfway decent. Also why do all the us soldiers faces look screwed up like they just got given a hard maths problem and they have the intelegence of a dead rat?

I would suggest to put ingame all settings to the maximum, except for AA.

Then do that:

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/5706003-post1.html

Go to:

My Documents\My Games\OFDR\hardwaresettings

And open with notepad:

hardware_settings_config.xml

search file textures quality="1" filtering="2" anisoLevel="3"

(this was standard for high texture quality for me)

modify it in textures quality="1" filtering="16" anisoLevel="16"

Make the hardware_settings_config.xml write-protected !

...and your game will look much better.

@DR players:

Is there really nothing you like about ArmA? :(

Sure...

The mods, the editor, the graphic, the MP modus...

Edited by Wiggum

25km is the terrain distance, the actual objects stop rendering anywhere between 1200 and 1800m...

...and if you place more than four vehicles, that value might go down as low as 30m. :j:

thats what I got a warning for. cited as a troll post. Apparently because I dont like ARMA, my thoughts on it are just trolling

Hey you forgot to quote your entire post :rolleyes:

...and if you place more than four vehicles, that value might go down as low as 30m. :j:

the draw distance of vehicles doesnt drop, its the LOD that drops

Perhaps, but we've all seen just how utterly terrible it is. You can't put every vehicle in the game on the map at the same time. It's ridiculous. And they kept talking about "unrivaled streaming technology". :rolleyes:

And then, of course, you have

the draw distance of vehicles doesnt drop, its the LOD that drops

and having the lowest lods contain nothing but the mounted machineguns is a good thing?

and having the lowest lods contain nothing but the mounted machineguns is a good thing?

Every newbie addonmaker here knows that is a mortal sin :D

I guess three full rotations of CM' "expert" developers didn't have a clue. After all, in the typical games that CM produces you have a view distance of 50m, so lods are pretty irrelevant :p

Another thing that the PR machine couldn't fix, the lack of knowledge through experience at making a sandbox game.

Edited by JdB

:Ddoing my daily graveyard scan of the CM forums sites etc and found something highly amuzing will to me anyway :)

on this page:

http://au.codemasters.com/community/

it has this:

http://operationflashpoint2.org/ (natural justice for using operation flashpoint 2 as a website name? :D)

dr.jpg

nothing interesting in that you might think....

then go to the fan webiste and have a look (I'll save you the trouble :) )

Nov 26th 2009 (wtf the game was only released on the 11th Otcobter?)

Site is closed

Thanks for all the support and memories!

Due to the death of OFP: DR, this website is closed and will be disabled and taken down in piecemeal over time.

It’s a shame it has come to this but it’s the combined outcome of many failures. I hope to see all of you on the other side – lets hope for a realism revolution in the future.

If your looking for the old community a few of us can be found at the new IRC channel (Manday abandoned the old one – #OFP2):

so to sum this up the CM main community website is advertising a site that clearly states the game died way back in November (way to go cm web admins)

Edited by Eble

Damn, even their moderators have jumped ship...

Watching the slow death of DR is pretty fricken surreal, kinda like the death of an imposter of a friend, leaving you with "Damn, thats a shame..." but quickly replaced with "Wait, who the f*ck were you again?"

Edited by froggyluv

how quickly it fell over is beyond me.

I know that our PC user base is clamouring for more features already, and we are not oblivious to your pleas! We have DLC, patches and title updates all due out (in weeks rather than months)

[mg]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2592/3995348132_36c3a013fe.jpg[/img]>100kb

just read what it says on that poster and have a giggle :)

do you think they actually believed that?

Edited by Placebo

interesting Xfire stats:

Arma2

Dragon Rising From #9 on launch day... to 3 months later.

Notice the number of xfire users - basically the same.

Then look at the average time people play.

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

Where did they hire the clown to pose in that picture! I like the clown shoes.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

the time played is a direct relfection on CM very poor MP.

I've played this game a fair bit in MP and once a games starts is very rare for that game to last 3 maps before a) everyone drops out or b) the host quicks killing the game.

Average times for games is very low.

Take Arma2 I could quite happily sit in a Dom map for hours on end :)

just read what it says on that poster and have a giggle :)

Such statements like "most realistic shooter ever" are mostly from stupid game magazines. I can remember some german pc magazine called CoD2 the "most realist shooter ever" some years ago...thats always bullshit. ;)

how quickly it fell over is beyond me.
It's one of the fastest game deaths i've seen for quite a while. Fan sites are dieing or already closed and the main forums only need a visit once every couple of weeks as nothing much happens on there either.

Luhgnut;1539744']interesting Xfire stats...

considering XFIRE still fails to properly support ARMA 2 of all revisions and with all features it's double ironic ...

considering XFIRE still fails to properly support ARMA 2 of all revisions and with all features it's double ironic ...

yeah, I thought that myself, but only readily available benchmark I could find for both engines.

Also, I think the longest single game I've ever played was a full on Warfare map in Arma2. I know I played it at least 8 hours, because I started when the wife left for work and we were on the same game when she got home. Obviously, I had to drop or get wife aggro, so the game was still going after I left.

It's one of the fastest game deaths i've seen for quite a while. Fan sites are dieing or already closed and the main forums only need a visit once every couple of weeks as nothing much happens on there either.

Lifetime of OFP1: almost 10 years

Lifetime of "OFP"2: almost 10 weeks

:D

Lifetime of OFP1: almost 10 years

Lifetime of "OFP"2: almost 10 weeks

:D

shocking when you put it like that

I'm sure one of our resident DR fans will tell CM of the community page blunder lol

Such statements like "most realistic shooter ever" are mostly from stupid game magazines. I can remember some german pc magazine called CoD2 the "most realist shooter ever" some years ago...thats always bullshit. ;)

Well the quote is from the Official Playstation Magazine and the quote is correct in context, it's probably is the most realistic shooter ever made for the PS3, too bad marketing knows no bounds.

Edited by MrBump

If you listen to the interviews with Lenton, he doesn't differentiate between console or PC when making a statement. He'll state something that is only in PC version then flip when asked about something that only pertains to the console. Which is painfully obvious now, but then it was all encompassing. Like "everything is held in memory all at once." well, no, not really.

Luhgnut;1539792'] I know I played it at least 8 hours' date=' because I started when the wife left for work and we were on the same game when she got home. Obviously, I had to drop or get wife aggro, so the game was still going after I left.[/quote']

You have a good thing going there mate, your wife is working and your playing ArmA 2 :D

The irony of it all went over to my mates place on Boxing Day for a BBQ, have a few drinks exchange presents etc done this for the last 8 years. His missis got him DR for xmas he had just finished loading the game as I walked in. To cut a long story short after 20 minutes I left and went downstairs with the girls he walked down 10 minutes later game in hand and said honey take this back for a refund. I didn’t ask any questions but I guess the game wasn’t that good. After lunch and quite a few beers later, back up stairs playing ARMA and bagging CM good day and night had by all.

2/4

You have a good thing going there mate, your wife is working and your playing ArmA 2 :D

Yeah heh, and she makes me chicken pot pie.

thing is, she also has 4 lvl 80 toons in World of Warcraft, so she leaves me alone.