dmarkwick

JTD Fire And Smoke

Great addon!

I think I've found a little bug. I put a helicopter over swamp in the north of Topolka dam and hit it with PG-7V. Helicopter landed in the swamp and as soon as the crew got out, huge lag appeared until the helicopter got destroyed completely.

Great Addon ;)

Just wondering imo the smoke stay too long after the fire is gone on burning vehicule. Maybe make the smoke disappear just a little faster? Or maybe having much less smoke after the fire is gone. Saving some fps.

Great addon!

I think I've found a little bug. I put a helicopter over swamp in the north of Topolka dam and hit it with PG-7V. Helicopter landed in the swamp and as soon as the crew got out, huge lag appeared until the helicopter got destroyed completely.

That doesn't sound, from that description, like it's JTD related. The fire & smoke effects apply to vehicles destroyed by external means i.e. normal gameplay, or by JTD_FireAndSmoke damage, which it doesn't sound like has happened. Did the helo land on water?

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

Great Addon ;)

Just wondering imo the smoke stay too long after the fire is gone on burning vehicule. Maybe make the smoke disappear just a little faster? Or maybe having much less smoke after the fire is gone. Saving some fps.

Smoke lasting a long time after the vehicle is destroyed is what the addon is all about :)

You can shorten the effect by altering the config. Normal smoke lifetime can be multiplied to make it last longer or shorter. In the config the default multiplier is 1. If you change that to 2, the smoke lasts twice as long, and if you change it to 0.5, it lasts half as long.

Whatever the multiplier though, the smoke ramp-down is always about 5 minutes.

Excellent addon. very atmospheric. Do you plan on making explosion smoke effects too? Or the bullets kicking dust effects?

This is just top notch stuff mate!

I'm currently running this with SLX,Sakulighfx, Rskl Countermeasure and Vfai while playing the Cipher mission and my jaw justs drops with the sheer beauty of all of these amazing effects. I almost stop playing and just want to record everything thats going on around me.

This is just top notch stuff mate!

I'm currently running this with SLX,Sakulighfx, Rskl Countermeasure and Vfai while playing the Cipher mission and my jaw justs drops with the sheer beauty of all of these amazing effects. I almost stop playing and just want to record everything thats going on around me.

Do you find that the SLX mod interferes with the armour battles? Last night I fond that SLX (I assume it was SLX, as it was enabled that session) made the smoke & fire effects lag & slow down.

AI ground unit-wise, SLX is fantastic though.

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Excellent addon. very atmospheric. Do you plan on making explosion smoke effects too? Or the bullets kicking dust effects?

I don't know whether I'm going to touch config effects or not at this stage. They always conflict with something else, other effects addons, so I'm inclined to stay away.

I haven't noticed any lag while using this with SLX, but I have noticed that the propagating fire features tend to interfere with each other, sometimes overlapping etc. Always a shame when I'm stuck choosing between two very good mods.

And to add on to MrCent's request, maybe you could try making some new weapon firing smoke/muzzleflash effects? Sakura's is a big improvement but is still far from perfect in my opinion.

It's possible I'm using an older SLX download, I downloaded it once when it first was announced, but only last night tried it out.

On the topic of explosion effects, i'd love to see some of those explosions from grenades (the ones from Halo 1 spring to mind, while not a great example they were good), where it shoots the dirt directly up in the air :]

I don't know whether I'm going to touch config effects or not at this stage. They always conflict with something else, other effects addons, so I'm inclined to stay away.

@Maddmatt: get to work!

I always had this mod and Maddmatts effects in arma :)

Is there a way to have the birds split out in a modular addon?

You can disable everything but the birds, making it a birds-only addon.

LOL its everything but the birds I want :)

I take it that it's not possible then ?

The only remark I have regarding this wonderful addon is that I miss fire when I empty 60 rockets with my Attack helicopter in the woods, they are just not burning....

Could you please fix that....?

Thanks!

If I were to join a server that isn't running this addon would I get kicked or what? ...A private server.

that depends on if the server allows mods

a quick note (i thought I posted it before, but I guess not): I just tried and if you comment out the enter firedamage.sqf, it removes the fire damage (which didn't seem to work properly TBH as I would die from invisible fire).

Oddly enough, after extended fires, buildings and trees still get destroyed, BUT I was able to walk through a fire and stand in it without being hurt. Weird.

What is all this about birds i keep reading? I thought this was just about fire and smoke

Just so you all know what I was talking about earlier:

th_arma22009-09-1019-27-40-86.png

As you can see, the smoke continues to rise from underwater and from nothing in mid-air.

I noticed that pretty much everytime a vehicle catches fire, the environment does as well is there a way to "randomize" this?

I also noticed that gastanks that catch fire dont propagate the fire (And dont explode but that isn't part of this addon :) ).

By the way is there a limit to the max growth of a fire? Because i noticed everytime that a forest catches fire, all the sudden it does not spread any further and the flames just die.

Just so you all know what I was talking about earlier:

As you can see, the smoke continues to rise from underwater and from nothing in mid-air.

DM knows about that. We were a bunch that beta tested plus DM that made the addon have used it a lot as well. So he knows and im sure he works on it. ;)

EDIT:

What is all this about birds i keep reading? I thought this was just about fire and smoke

Go close to vegetation and look up/listen. Youll hear and see flocking birds that get spooked by you/ other units/ vehicles/ gun fire. They give away motion or gun fire in an area. Even helicopters flying in spooks birds.

By the way is there a limit to the max growth of a fire? Because i noticed everytime that a forest catches fire, all the sudden it does not spread any further and the flames just die.

Check the HPP file you added in the DTA folder. There is some tweaking you can do.

Edited by Alex72

Check the HPP file you added in the DTA folder. There is some tweaking you can do.

I tried that. Even put the #define JTD_MaxFires to a value of 250 (better save then sorry ;) )

a quick note (i thought I posted it before, but I guess not): I just tried and if you comment out the enter firedamage.sqf, it removes the fire damage (which didn't seem to work properly TBH as I would die from invisible fire).

Oddly enough, after extended fires, buildings and trees still get destroyed, BUT I was able to walk through a fire and stand in it without being hurt. Weird.

Fire damage, to save on resources, is not done on a per-fire basis, but rather on an area basis. So one larger trigger area will handle the fire damage for several trees. Inevitably, there are gaps where you won't get damage, as well as apparently safe areas where you will get damage. I tried to set these trigger areas more or less slightly downwind for the most part, for obvious reasons. The fire damage area logic is the same as the light area logic, I'm just saving as much FPS as I can.

The general philosophy with raging fires, as in RL, is keep away, give a wide berth ;)

Trees and buildings are hard-coded to be destroyed by fire, as map objects aren't affected by triggers.

*edit*

As part of the ongoing beta process however, I'm willing to experiment with per-fire trigger areas.

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

I noticed that pretty much everytime a vehicle catches fire, the environment does as well is there a way to "randomize" this?

Surely :)

I also noticed that gastanks that catch fire dont propagate the fire (And dont explode but that isn't part of this addon :) ).

Isn't part of the addon yet ;)

The fires will eventually come to a natural end - completely uncoded BTW - by natural tree breaks and terrain features. I spent a long time tweaking the propagation distance so that fires would spread easily, but not rage endlessly out of control. It's possible that a strong wind in the right direction would propagate the fire further than normal, with the balance that there's less propagation on the other end of the fire.

Edited by DMarkwick

Hi DMarkwick,

i have a view MP questions.

Does the server need the .hpp file? And if yes, does the server's .hpp overwrite the client once (like forest-fire true on server / false on client)?

MfG, Medicus