FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

We've just received mail which tells, that Codies will hand out some new material today at 2 GMT (they did'nt say whether am. or pm), and tomorrow. Guess it's simply strategy to encircle the weekly faction updates on ArmAII a little, by spreading material the same day and one before wink_o.gif

..spraying for both titles seems to have just begun. Good for us? We'll see what both titles are up to...

hmm, it seems that they are releasing new info tomorrow and friday  wink_o.gif

heh, I can only wish that it's their strategical planning against Arma 2.  pistols.gif  whistle.gif

Dude, as your such a fan of a game you havent played yet why dont you hang out on the codies forums more?

I mean do i go a VW forum to tell them how much i like my Honda and how i think their cars suck?

Most probaly not as i surely wouldnt be very welcome there.

Im sure Codemasters will present a bunch of pretty sexy screens soon because the wanna show it to Bohemia while Bohemia wants to do the same to the Codies.

Actually i think this game could be very good if they avoid dumbing it down too much.

However on ArmA2 i know what i get more or less, i played OFP for years i play ArmA since a good while and that way i know to a good extend how it will feel.

Even if some say it all the time... ArmA was quite good after some patches only the setting was rather boring not to mention the campaign and missions, ArmA2 changes this drasticly judging by the level of detail so what could go wrong there.

And personally i think i prefer going to war in some east european woods instead of some island again.

In the end i most probaly buy both anyway whistle.gif

Edit

Wrong language link, sorry

http://www.codemasters.com/flashpoint/

New video online... Some kind of engine trailer. Doesn't impresse me at all, the world looks as dead as on the screens seen before. Lightning system looks better than in ArmA (don't know how it will be in ArmA2) but still I think ArmA 2 looks much better.  smile_o.gif

Yep, the video don't show anything regarding mechanics, only stuff the engine can do, when it comes to visuals: one can switch the elements on a particle system from fire to greenish signal smoke - wow - all glory to RT shading, like all glory goes out to the Hypno Toad (go to youtube and have a look wink_o.gif)!

...Maybe tomorrow they'll let the cat out of the bag.

Edit: Yep, UI seems strongly influenced by other games. What of course does not mean per se, that it is bad.

The UI reminds me of Crysis. After the first seconds I thought he tried to mount a silencer or something... biggrin_o.gif

cocky developers. Head and shoulders above competition? I think not. I have yet to see more than 15 soldiers in a single scene.

Oh and look, the grass cuts off after a certain distance.

bleh, I'll download the video and perhaps see better.

So much about no progress on OFP2. If you give them another year or so they might come up with something decent.

The thing I noticed, and it is a very silly little thing, is that they at least in their mission editor have actual height numbers on their gridlines like in proper relief maps. (So you can tell in absence of nearby peaks where is up and where is down). Not an awesome thing by itself , but if they care for details like that throughout their game , they might be onto something.

Unfortunately tho they still go with the "Arcade-FPS" movement system and I only play games with Freeaim-OFP system. So thats a bit of a shame.

Wow - only the EGO engine teaser with OFP2 as background!! Who is really amazed/happy with this "OFP2 presentation"? No gameplay content, no story features... yeah CM is going "to pwn all".  whistle.gif

Trees, grass, animations looks bad. Building looks like from cartoons.

But water and lighting is impressive.

Yes 100% agree.

It looks like a simple shooter somehow...HiHiHi whistle.gif

Yes the night-illuminations/athmosphere looks very impressing.... thats a cool dark-blue, illuminated by the moon and not pure black like in Arma1 tounge2.gif

Also i think BIS should pay attention to the bullet-whizz when bullets passing by - its not only a "bullet-crack" like it was in Arma1.

OFP2 seems to have this bullet-whizz good made, however no bulletcracks were audible to me in that short scene.

For the ol' competition: Bis has for me clearly won so far....

But lets wait for tomorrow.....

The AI seems as bad as the original, no revolutions on that area it seems.

It reminded me much of BF2 in terrain looks and short range run and gun to be honest.

But this game can still be very awesome, in regards of the weapon systems etc. we have been promised. I have not lost hope yet.

Regular bullets don't "whiz"...

They do! Everything which moves with higher speed through the air and has some friction, makes noises.

Listen to some Iraq-War/Afghanistan Footages to see that i'm right.

I'll send you just one YT Video over MSN if you don't mind.

EDIT: Video

At 3:24 exactly....

But we shouldn't discuss this here anyway. tounge2.gifwink_o.gif

Wow - only the EGO engine teaser with OFP2 as background!! Who is really amazed/happy with this "OFP2 presentation"? No gameplay content, no story features... yeah CM is going "to pwn all".  whistle.gif

I can't say yet, tomorrow when the rest new stuff will be presented.

Hmm, well, i'll wait for further bashing tommorow. But so far we've not seen more than 10 soldiers on screen. So the never before seen scale hasn't been seen in this video.

he did mention streaming technology, so thumbs up.

I'm happy with it.

That looks like a game I want to buy.

I have a very bad feeling about this game after seeing the Ego tech video.

I noticed this:

ofp2ii2.jpg

See the red indicator of fire above the gun? Also that the soldier survive the fire from an enemy at front of him? That look very arcadish... confused_o.gif

Sorry, my english is bad

Yes a real Joke.... i watched the HQ Video (DL version) now and i have to say that this is really just a Mass-Market BF2/Crysis Clone*

Jesus Christ.....When we don't see something WAY better tomorrow (like a evolution in nearly all aspects), this will be definitely a NO-GO game for me...

* Judgment bases on that particular footage.

LOL the new video looks like BF2, the same graphical feeling too.

So i guess this will be a payware version of Project Reality? (Which NOW i doubt it can even surpass that)

Wow, I thought CM was finally going to emerge from their recluse basement with a vengeance?!? But they came out instead with a "not bad".  

I'm going for sacriliage here but even a COD4 or a Crysis meets Ofp hybrid type game could be fun with a giant scale, no respawn points, a mission editor and some wham-bam physics/effects, but this all seemed so bland.  sad_o.gif

Like Derk Yall, my first impressions are not good. The player seemingly cops a burst, a red direction indicator flashing up and off he goes. That part of the vid stopped just before the bunny-hops started by the looks.

There's too much shit on the screen by the looks of it. Compass thing across the top etc.

Looks so far like an OFP mod for BF2 or something.

Wooow iam so not impressed.

At the moment i would buy BF2 over OFP 2 there is no need for another Battlefield Clone the market is full of it.

Yes there will be another press release tomorrow but that needs to be 500% better than this. Add 1 or 2 years Dev time and they may show something usable judged on todays video.

Oh i haven´t used the word fail so i do now - epic fail