FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Hey do designers like BI have to pay websites like IGN/Gamespot to host media they have made available for their games?

The only reason I ask is, for say, Gamespot, hardly any official videos or pictures are even there for Arma2. Wouldn't a simple "Hey can you host this" do the trick? Doubt it, but thought I'd ask.

Its interesting nothing is there though, I wouldn't doubt that if BI had more media on their site, it would reach more audiences now rather than after Codemasters starts turning on their multimillion dollar advertising machine. Unless BI can piggyback on Codemaster's advertising strategy and have people saying "Oh yea, theres another game like this", and use word of mouth as a primary (free) method of getting the word out. I dunno, all in good fun.

Competition is good, and gives us the consumer more choice.

Not only that, I suspect both OFP 2 and Arma 2 will end up being better as a result of this competition wink_o.gif

Hey do designers like BI have to pay websites like IGN/Gamespot to host media they have made available for their games?

I think that games draw their own audience so those sites, like old school magazines, get their revenue from ads (and subscriptions and some other things).  I think the devs pay the websites (or ad agencies) for ad space, if they so choose, and the magazines and websites write their articles on their own dollar.  I think that whether a game is featured or not in non ad related content depends largely on the audience they think the article will draw.

I think it's seen as a competition only by some OFP/ArmA players. Not by BIS and not by CM. There simply is no contest, OFP2 will get better reviews and sell more copies by default. Business wise, neither has to keep an eye on the other.

Whether ArmA2 will be the better "combat simulator" would only matter to a tiny group of people who can not make any significant difference in the total sales. What matters is which is a more accessible and rounded package, and the better game. That's obviously going to be OFP2 for Average Joe who will play it on his Xbox 360 or PS3.

I think it's seen as a competition only by some OFP/ArmA players. Not by BIS and not by CM. There simply is no contest, OFP2 will get better reviews and sell more copies by default.

Are you serious? You see no, let's call it niche-overlap, in both companies making an open-ended, large scale multi-role military simulator?

You see no competition for the same market? The games are so completely different?

What does 'by default' mean exactly?

I think that games draw their own audience so those sites, like old school magazines, get their revenue from ads (and subscriptions and some other things).  I think the devs pay the websites (or ad agencies) for ad space, if they so choose, and the magazines and websites write their articles on their own dollar.  I think that whether a game is featured or not in non ad related content depends largely on the audience they think the article will draw.

You are actually right with that.

Having a relative as ordinary key-account-manager in the advertising-compartment of a smaller german computer-newspaper/magazine (which also reviews games), he told that when a "larger" company (like CM) would confirm to buy ad-space in the magazine when a certain product is out, then it *could* happen that previews happen more often, delivering "better opinion" to the readers, etc...

Also its more likely to see their product on the frontpage/cover of the magazine, etc...

For "outsiders" like us this could be called "corruption", however for a private magazine-company its ordinary every-days business.

The Editor-in-Chief is usually the poor guy who has the power to balance between all interest-groups (advertiser/product-maker, own company, Reader).

It is also not very uncommon that publishers/game-company threaten such computer-magazine-companies, that they will "withdraw" confirmed advertising budgets, if their game(s) got a bad rating.....

Said that, its IMHO even more honorable/praiseworthy when "independent" companies like BIS, are delivering kick-ass games without the need for such "morally questionable methods".... wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I'm interested to see how in depth the simulation is for the vehicles.  They claim it to be quite good!

Well what has been confirmed or advertised is that OFP2 seems to have all that realism-features which people are begging BIS since over 5 years now.....  tounge2.gif

To be honest, i highly doubt that we will see stuff like this in Arma2, sincei assume that BIS CEO himself seems to be not a very friend of realism, or to formulate it a bit different: He would rather decide for "Instant Fun" than for "Realism".

Reason why i assume this, is that as i asked for/suggested a bit longer turbine/propeller spin-up time (as i think the current ~10 seconds is way to "arcadish" for a "simulation") in his UH1-Topic in Arma2 section, he answered me with "No", because it should be more "Instant Fun....like player expect it to be" for the ordinary gamer and that he wont discuss "Realism vs. Fun" again.  biggrin_o.gif  wink_o.gif

Just a assumption based on this statement though, not more not less tounge2.gif

Are you serious? You see no, let's call it niche-overlap, in both companies making an open-ended, large scale multi-role military simulator?

You see no competition for the same market? The games are so completely different?

Please read the whole post. I'm saying that I think it's not the niche who will make the difference in sales but the average gamer. The simmers and other weirdos will surely pick their own personal winrar but that doesn't mean it's a competition from anyone else's perspective.

You think there's millions of "military simulator" gamers? No, OFP was also bought by a lot of average gamers. ArmA wasn't. ArmA2 probably won't. OFP2 will be for sure, especially because it will release on all platforms.

I also think the games will be very different but that won't really matter either. Kinda like box art and hype is more important than good reviews... it's more about marketing than actual content as long as the content is at least half decent.

Hi all

I think the assumption that BIS and their publishers will not invest in advertising is rather silly.

It is after all a legitimate business cost and since you are taxed on profits it makes sense to advertise or "be wise advertise" as the saying goes; since your tax bill goes down by the amount you spend on advertising.

And since BIS have been ready to advertise their military product I dare say it is part of the BIS/publisher contract that the publishers are required to carry out a degree of advertising.

The real problem BIS had with advertising was that Codemasters never advertised OFP.

If OFP2 gets released and that is a big if, that Codemasters will advertise OFP2 heavily is a given. They may have to. Does that mean it will live up to the hype?

Kind Regards walker

Quote[/b] ]I think the assumption that BIS and their publishers will not invest in advertising is rather silly.

Well here in germany there was as good a no advertisings at all (in the print press) druing release in November 2006. And after the first bad rating in one the most popular german Game-Magazines, there was no Advertising i'm aware of by January 2007 anymore.....

Can't remember about online advertising though.....

Quote[/b] ]The real problem BIS had with advertising was that Codemasters never advertised OFP.

Yes therefor its even more amazing/impressing how good it sold.

As i already said elsewhere, OFP1 was some sort of niche-Product which was so good, that it was advertised via "mouth-to-mouth", by suggesting it to other people.

Alone myself advertised it to 10+ PPL in the IT-School i was at that point in 2001.

it was really a huge success IMHO.

HG Wells or Isaac Asimov would have been proud of the content of this (off)topic : an unbelievable amount of guess, rumors and hypotheses...  welcome.gif

BI games are really suiting its community members' abilities : giving freedom to their imagination...  whistle.gif

Quote[/b] ]I'm interested to see how in depth the simulation is for the vehicles.  They claim it to be quite good!

Well what has been confirmed or advertised is that OFP2 seems to have all that realism-features which people are begging BIS since over 5 years now.....  tounge2.gif

To be honest, i highly doubt that we will see stuff like this in Arma2, sincei assume that BIS CEO himself seems to be not a very friend of realism, or to formulate it a bit different: He would rather decide for "Instant Fun" than for "Realism".

Reason why i assume this, is that as i asked for/suggested a bit longer turbine/propeller spin-up time (as i think the current ~10 seconds is way to "arcadish" for a "simulation") in his UH1-Topic in Arma2 section, he answered me with "No", because it should be more "Instant Fun....like player expect it to be" for the ordinary gamer and that he wont discuss "Realism vs. Fun" again.  biggrin_o.gif  wink_o.gif

Just a assumption based on this statement though, not more not less tounge2.gif

We'll see on friday what form these 'realism features' take.

Just because Maruk denied you the chance to sit around and do nothing while you listen to turbine sounds doesn't mean they don't care about realism. We shall see how OFP2 handles the helicopter startup. I would be very surprised if this particular aspect was any different.

I'm interested to see how in depth the simulation is for the vehicles.  They claim it to be quite good!

Yeah. Finally no more hitpoint systems for vehicles.

So how do you destroy them then?

It will be based on penetration, like in real life.

Penetration doesn't destroy vehicles alone.

They probably have the projectile penetrating before it gets to the vehicle hitpoints. I'd imagine that the hitpoints are also compartmentalized, so your shots land on the engine hitbox, the engine figures out if it penetrates the hull there, then the shot does damage to the engine.

So how do you destroy them then?

It will be based on penetration, like in real life.

So do we call them penetration points then?  tounge2.gif

Edit: Ok, but seriously, it might be a hitpoint system with some enhancements to make it more realistic.

In the end you need some sort of numbers to work out damage.

not if you use letters.

Im interested to see what we learn about this on friday. As of right now I am not planning on buying it but they might be able to sway me. No matter what though, ArmA II first.

If OFP2 gets released and that is a big if, that Codemasters will advertise OFP2 heavily is a given. They may have to. Does that mean it will live up to the hype?

Of course OFP2 will be released. Nothing hints at trouble, nothing but your crazy theories about OFP2 being delayed.

Will OFP2 live up to the hype? Probably not. No game ever does.

And so what if it gets delayed? 11 out of 10 video games do. Doom3, Half-Life2, Team Fortress 2, Crysis, OFP, OFP Elite, ArmA...

not if you use letters.

Technically speaking, all letters are numbers as far as a puter is concerned. Like the letter A is actually 01000001 (decimal 65) in memory.

hmm, it seems that they are releasing new info tomorrow and friday  wink_o.gif

heh, I can only wish that it's their strategical planning against Arma 2.  pistols.gif  whistle.gif

Official Post by their community-guys that tomorrow will be new info too?

Looked through their clustered Forums, but couldn't find it....

Official Post by their community-guys that tomorrow will be new info too?

Looked through their clustered Forums, but couldn't find it....

Yep, Helios stated it somewhere in their News thread.