FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

.and I'm sad to say it, but this will outsell Arma 2 in big numbers........

Of course it will, thats why CM turned realism into arcade style, much bigger audience ;)

When watching vids and pics of OF: DR it reminds me of Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising... it was great fun!

His claims were fairly outlandish at worst and were missing the point at best. I guess they don't wish to seem like they condone that kind of tyrade but they should leave it up for entertainment purposes.

For me it's very sad to see the direction that ofp2 has taken. I praise for a game that could be at the same level of arma 2, that would be good for BIS (they would need to improve the stability and betatesting process of their games ;) ) and also for us, we would have two milsims to play.

Anyway, looks like we will have to wait a few years :)

and I'm sad to say it, but this will outsell Arma 2 in big numbers........

Alot of people say that DR will outsell ArmA 2 as if it suddenly vindicates all of DR's failures. To be honest, I personally enjoy the ArmA series and it doesn't matter to me how many other people do, as long as BIS makes enough money to keep developing the game and it's successors. I can name plenty of games that outsold OFP. Not many of them still have an active community almost ten years after it was released. That's what counts IMHO.

No, it was posted on the CM forums, last for about 2 days, where he got a pretty divided response, and it has magically dissapeared this morning. I guess that means that at least the actual staff at CM dont really agree with him... At least not vocally anyway...

Well, one of the mods turned up to defend him. A bunch of people then accused same mod of being a hypocrite and suddenly the thread disappears next morning. :wink_o:

Look out Maddog, Sir Polaris is your corporate antithesis! Cm's fanboy #1

I'd like to think I'm a little less biased and over the top. After all, I have directed concerns and complaints of my own at BI and do intend to buy OFPDR (providing it lives up to my expectations as a COD4 clone with vehicles). ;)

I'd like to think I'm a little less biased and over the top. After all, I have directed concerns and complaints of my own at BI and do intend to buy OFPDR (providing it lives up to my expectations as a COD4 clone with vehicles). ;)

isnt there battlefield 2 for that:rolleyes:

I've watched a lot of DR gameplay videos, and I have no idea where people get this "it's a CoD4/BF2 clone" stuff from. Please feel free to open my eyes with links to such footage.

As for the latest rumours about not being able to make new units, that is a massive deal-breaker for me. If it is true, then Codemasters have totally missed the point of what made OFP such a great and enduring game.

The new co-op vid looks like it could be fun with some friends, but no walk on PC and no community-made addons are big failures. That Czech preview looks to give an honest look at the game, and the demo might sway me to buy it. For now, the latest stuff hasn't really impressed me.

I've watched a lot of DR gameplay videos, and I have no idea where people get this "it's a CoD4/BF2 clone" stuff from. Please feel free to open my eyes with links to such footage.

As for the latest rumours about not being able to make new units, that is a massive deal-breaker for me. If it is true, then Codemasters have totally missed the point of what made OFP such a great and enduring game.

I think that would only apply for the console market.......dlc for money for the pc market??? I don't think so.......

It would be strange if you can't add your own content, that would deny what ofp was all about.....

hmm, no modding for PC, if true, is quite disappointing. Not sure I like the no walk for PC, if true. I suppose, in the end, it all comes down to the demo to show us what is really in the game and what is not.

And if no demo is released, then no chance that money leaves my wallet.

Disappointed, but still hopeful.

-Student Pilot

hmm, no modding for PC, if true, is quite disappointing. Not sure I like the no walk for PC, if true. I suppose, in the end, it all comes down to the demo to show us what is really in the game and what is not.

And if no demo is released, then no chance that money leaves my wallet.

Disappointed, but still hopeful.

-Student Pilot

You have a link, which states that.......as that would really be a disappointment.....what are they going to do then? Expansion packs for the pc.....? I must admit I have not visited CM board as of yet, merely watched their videos and they seem quite okay as far as videos go.....

Just read the scripted Q and A.

Scripted Q and A. Hmm, I can't recall anything but pre-scripted interviews from CM. They could have just used a trained monkey instead of career embellishing developers. The first change to their marketing should be to make continuous gameplay videos instead of an interruption with a developer making promises after every 10 or so seconds of gameplay. Then again, that would probably show what the game isn't, a competitor in the semi-realistic mil-sim market.

Someone earlier on in this thread praised CM for the marketing techniques used in it's videos. I would personally prefer BIS to stick to their current approach. Showing what the game that I am considering to buy is actually like rather than saying it is what I would want it to be.

Creating your own group ("Heroes" :ok: ) to brainwash people proclaim how good a product you think you like (without actual solid proof) is, while you point the Eliteness finger at others. How awesomely ELITE :yay:

Edited by JdB

Maybe the generation of "hardcore" pc & sim players are gettin old/fewer and next generations dont want to learn that much - simply enjoy an easy and entertaining mainstream game? Must be a reason why shooter(series) and similar games get more customers and sales...
Not true here, I cosider my self as young(next generation) and I love simulators, especially Arma(OFP before). :)

You have a link, which states that.......as that would really be a disappointment.....what are they going to do then? Expansion packs for the pc.....? I must admit I have not visited CM board as of yet, merely watched their videos and they seem quite okay as far as videos go.....

I got that from a few pages back. There are links to either developer statements or reviews which say that there is no modding and no walking. Again, they may not apply to the PC version of the game. That part is unclear.

-Student Pilot

Not true here, I cosider my self as young(next generation) and I love simulators, especially Arma(OFP before). :)

True, even if i'm not "young" anymore, it's more a matter of brain, IMHO.

The TAB targeting system from OFP seems to have survived. I especially noticed that the Javelin seems to function just like the ARMA javelin, except for the mounting animation and a Javelin-like HUD.

Come on developers, we want it properly.

bqv56svMF58

BTW, there goes the "every weapon system is operated like in real life" lie.

Edited by sparks50

The TAB targeting system from OFP seems to have survived. I especially noticed that the Javelin seems to function just like the ARMA javelin, except for the mounting animation and a Javelin-like HUD.

Come on developers, we want it properly.

BTW, there goes the "every weapon system is operated like in real life" lie.

And the missiles leave at max. speed instantly after pressing the fire button... looks so stupid.

Edited by W0lle
quoted video

Creating your own group ("Heroes" :ok: ) to brainwash people proclaim how good a product you think you like (without actual solid proof) is, while you point the Eliteness finger at others. How awesomely ELITE :yay:

That's what I don't get, all those forum-goers blindly devoted to a product divorced from its pedigree, from a developer with no track record in the genre and who has delivered zero information beyond pre-rendered trailers and scripted marketing speil. With no real information every thread is an exercise in pure speculation and every member projects on OFP:DR their own notion of the perfect milsim, it's like a pack of dogs scrapping over a bone that never had any meat on it.

But I still have high-hopes for OFP:DR, not as a simulator (I already have one I like :)) but rather an accessible, militaristic shooter.

New "Exclusive Cooperative Play Trailer" on Gametrailers.

HD: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-cooperative-operation-flashpoint/55143

SD: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-cooperative-operation-flashpoint/55142

Looks decent. Although hand grenades explode like HE tank shells and the player appears to take out an Mi-8 with a few bursts from his M249 (although maybe something else shoots it, but I don't see it).

The video looked pretty decent alright. But yeah, Im pretty sure that Mi8 was taken down with a short burst of SAW fire...

They shouldn't have the engine turn off when the pilot dies, though. There could be more logical (and spectacular) consequences for pilot death than that.

Looks decent. Although hand grenades explode like HE tank shells

The grenade ignited a stack of ammunition (true).

Although hand grenades explode like HE tank shells and the player appears to take out an Mi-8 with a few bursts from his M249 (although maybe something else shoots it, but I don't see it).

Helios (CM) said that the grenade hit an ammo crate or something like that and that was the reason the grenade went off with so much Boom. The copter pilot was hit by a sniper shot.

Grim

People are most likely saying that due to the way the character moves, jogging with the gun up and things of that nature.

Another point some are using as a BF2 reference is the command system, by holding a button a 'compass' list of commands would come up.