FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

People are most likely saying that due to the way the character moves, jogging with the gun up and things of that nature.

Another point some are using as a BF2 reference is the command system, by holding a button a 'compass' list of commands would come up.

But I find this way of executing commands, far more intuitive and user friendly then reading menus and pressing numbers.

Or because the gameplay looks action oriented rather than tactical-action oriented. There's no walk, there's no lean, no jets, the viewdistance portrayed is nowhere near the 35km VD, but rather BF2 level. The animations look bad, they seem to be using the float object first person view. All in all it reminds me much more of BF2 than it does of OFP. It looks like BF2 without a map size limit(although, some of the interviews make me question that) and that's a good thing! I've always liked BF2, but never the small maps. The other problem I can see is that BF2 is more moddable than DR seems to going to be.

Edited by MehMan

True, even if i'm not "young" anymore, it's more a matter of brain, IMHO.

No it's a matter of taste.

This is what I really don't like about the ArmA community. Some people here think they are superior to people who play arcade shooters and this is why some of you come off as annoying elitists. Not everyone is interested in military technology and most people do not give a flying f**k about ballistics and the way their gun works, they just want to shoot a ton of badguys and have fun, that alone doesn't make them stupid.

I agree but look at ProfTournesol's posts concerning OfpDr, the best way to deal with this is just to ignore it... Truying to make him rationalize would be like telling Jehovah's Witnesses that what they're saying is bullshit, you'ld not see the end.

I think he loves a bit too much BiS. :)

About the vid it looks ok but there is definitely something wrong with colors, that's really disturbing me, I hope i'm not alone. :j:

Edited by dunedain

This is what I really don't like about the ArmA community. Some people here think they are superior to people who play arcade shooters and this is why some of you come off as annoying elitists. Not everyone is interested in military technology and most people do not give a flying f**k about ballistics and the way their gun works, they just want to shoot a ton of badguys and have fun, that alone doesn't make them stupid.

Well my bad, i only meant that "shooting a ton of badguys" isn't a very clever way of playing, it doesn't demand much brain power compared to "think first before acting or you'll soon be dead". In short, killing bad guys is more fun when those guys are hard to kill : it's a kind of "intellectual pleasure". I never meant that "arcade players" are stupid.

@dunedain : could be you kind enough and point me to the posts you're talking about ?

Edited by ProfTournesol

Or because the gameplay looks action oriented rather than tactical-action oriented. There's no walk, there's no lean, no jets, the viewdistance portrayed is nowhere near the 35km VD, but rather BF2 level. The animations look bad, they seem to be using the float object first person view. All in all it reminds me much more of BF2 than it does of OFP. It looks like BF2 without a map size limit

Vanilla OFP has no lean and absolutely awful animations. BF2 has jets (albeit awful ones). Fair enough on no walk (an absolutely brainless decision by the devs). The radial dial is reminiscent of BF2 on a cosmetic level.

For me BF2 means sprinting around, bunny-hopping, dolphin-diving go-go-go action with getting shot once or twice often being a trivial matter. Alls of that on fairly small maps with limited variation in game objectives. I'm not getting that vibe from DR at all.

Vanilla OFP has no lean and absolutely awful animations..

So? OFP is ten years old. Why should it's supposed sequel inherit the same old problems?

I haver never played at BF2 or COD 4 (only cod1), so I can't compare with OFP:DR. I can compare ofp:dr only with ofp.

And personally, the only thing which is for me a bad news is the impossibility to create mods or to add (without spend my money) addons. this feature is in my opinion essential.

I can live without: lean, planes, and with animations a little bit average. But if I can't add new content to a game, I don't buy it, because the games bore me very quickly, if I can not renew the content.

Edited by Sennacherib

Some people here think they are superior to people who play arcade shooters and this is why some of you come off as annoying elitists.

You got that wrong dude!

People come here and compare ArmA with BF2 or other similar shooters and want changes made like mouse doesn't react like they are used to when they get their 50-100 kills per round in the games they usually play. Really annoying when this is about simulation and not about having a frag fest!!

Not everyone is interested in military technology and most people do not give a flying f**k about ballistics and the way their gun works, they just want to shoot a ton of badguys and have fun, that alone doesn't make them stupid.

Correct, but then those people should go to the forum of a game which your description fit!

what kind of grenade that is? a thermite? how come a single frag grenade "ignite" an ammo crate when most of its killing power is fragmentation and shockwave? where is the mythbusters when you need one?:p

Edited by 4 IN 1

Not everyone is interested in military technology and most people do not give a flying f**k about ballistics and the way their gun works, they just want to shoot a ton of badguys and have fun, that alone doesn't make them stupid.

Well if it's a matter of taste then, with that taste in games, what the hell are you doing picking up a game entitled Operation Flashpoint?

The biggest issue is the confusing messages Codemasters are sending. Operation Flashpoint means it should be a hardcore military simulator, but OFPDR is definitely not that, nor is it ever going to be.

Like FarCry 2, the only similarity between it and it's predecessor is the name. And in the case of OFPDR, that is not a good thing.

what kind of grenade that is? a thermite? how come a single frag grenade "ignite" an ammo crate when most of its killing power is fragmentation and shockwave? where is the mythbusters when you need one?:p

It's a bit like taking down a helicopter with a sniper rifle, it can happen, but it's not something you want to count on when you need it.

And when someone says 'most people do not give a flying f**k about ballistics and the way their gun works, they just want to shoot a ton of badguys' on THE forum for THE most sim-ey combined arms game out there... What else would you expect, but the majority of people wanting to look UP to what the next level of sim is?

Really, think about it.

Who here wants the genre to be watered down like CM are doing? Hell they even have their #1 Fanboy (you're right MadDog, you're much more reserved and balanced, I really meant it for the ferocity you exhibit, apologies if I implied anything contrary ;) ) saying things like 'hell I don't care if CM put out a flaming turd'.. Ya, THAT's really pushing the game category forward. Most here seem to agree: The limitations, challenges, and the capabilities that ArmA2's details create are what gives this game a depth that none other has. We'd like to see the whole game style lifted and challenged by it. You are truly free to have your opinion, and to like what you do. This was not a personal attack on your tastes, just a comparison of expectations and the fact you are judging others.

On that point: Judge not, lest you be judged:

Call us elitists if you want, but you, sir, sound like you are in the gray muck of pointless mainstream gaming.

@Dante: I thought the same, I'd be happy to try it with what you said missing, but then there was...

-The 'tether' limit of ~250m from other players: So then, no combined ops? Or must the helo remain on station overhead? (I'd like a hard answer on that one).

-The combat zone limit: Can't leave the immediate selected area of operations and such. Why not just have the large map cut up into smaller zones? Would save CPU and memory bandwidth from the now-less-needed streaming terrain process. That ended up like building a boat in a basement.

-The limit on MP players and AI.

I thought this game was supposed to remove the limits on players?

Edited by Scrub
needing coffee

Is it just me or is the audio on that coop trailer completely out of sync?

So being on "THE forum for THE most sim-ey combined arms game out there..." prohibites us from being objective ?

Ofp Dr has been built for console before pc, with all experience most people here have of tactical shooters being ported to consoles I don't think there is a lot to argue with .. Doesn't make console players stupid, just different tastes and pad's limitations. :)

R6 and Gr are gone, but BiS still here, no need to worry of what Cm is doing with its Ofp Dr. May be a nice game.

@dunedain : could be you kind enough and point me to the posts you're talking about ?

I'm sure you can do it yourself, but yes I must apologize after you've enlighted your point. so sorry. :)

Edited by dunedain

Oh no, please do be objective. I'm just saying of course a thread for a touted mil-sim, that is going the 'fun and furious' way, on these forums is going to get slapped around. Some will like it and some won't.

If those who implied BF and COD'ers are stupid really looked at it, they would probably admit it's the peoples actions, not the people themselves that are annoying. (leet speak, demanding more fun less realism in their beloved game, TK'ing, ramboing, etc.)

Edited by Scrub
TOOO many pronouns

Someone on the Dragon Rising forums wrote this review when he supposedly played the game at some expo.

It seems though that his account is quite inconsistent, and there seem to be people on the thread who suspect that it's quite likely that he just made it all up.

Edited by echo1

Lulz, since when did BIS leave the OFP series? Weren't they forced to lose the name because of the contractual disagreement between them and Codemasters?

Yay for a grenade spammer playing it as well, apparently...

Haha, it "owns" ArmA II? And he gives the game near perfect scores, claiming they've done it after playing two missions?

Bah, why did I even waste my time reading that...

Watch comments, it seems he's telling bullshit, fake review.

and that it's quite likely that he just made it all up.

Oh common!

It's positive about DR, surely it must be true. I mean, who would lie about something as honest and pure as a Codemasters game :bounce3:

Lulz, since when did BIS leave the OFP series? Weren't they forced to lose the name because of the contractual disagreement between them and Codemasters?

Yay for a grenade spammer playing it as well, apparently...

Haha, it "owns" ArmA II? And he gives the game near perfect scores, claiming they've done it after playing two missions?

Bah, why did I even waste my time reading that...

why? he gives me such a great laugh!:D

Watch comments, it seems he's telling bullshit, fake review.

Rather than address any of the criticism, the mods just locked the threads. Ironically, this style of moderation probably causes more FUD to be spread than it does to address it.

Also, lulz at the 2-3 people on the thread who said "I don't care if he made it up, it's still a good review!"

So? OFP is ten years old. Why should it's supposed sequel inherit the same old problems?

When read carefully (left to right) the post to which you refer tells of a comparison between BF2 and the first OFP.

Wow, my respect for the DR community just sunk to an all-new low... And that's a scary thought. :butbut:

Lol, a lying kid makes them all go: Oh, fantastic.....christ, so it can get alot worse......kids. For the record there were only pc's standing with OFP:DR.