318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Isn't this the best we might have hoped for

Entirely depends on your definition.

I rarely post on DR and mostly withheld subjective impressions, but what i´m seeing, and reading, basically comes from a feature complete game, about to be released. Normally you'd expect the dev/publisher to kick in the 2nd gear as release is closing in. Instead, we learn more about the restrictions being imposed on the player, for technical reasons or other.

do we want another ArmA splitting the already small milsim playerbase and even our own attentions/communities?

Would you people stop with that already.

The community will only be split more and more as time progresses because you can't please everyone and those that aren't will leave, it is inevitable.

And you're suggesting that direct competitors (which it would now appear OFP:DR is not) wouldn't have any influence on that process? Surely not.

Really not at all sure what it is you're saying actually.

Why everyone still eat into the word of the reviewer? There is a large chance that he is talking about 360 version right?

And how dare that "mr. polaris" guy call me a douchebag, when i am a down right arsehole?!!!! :p

I'll probably give Flashpoint 2 a go just to see what its like, but I think its pretty clear from the proper in game videos that are now emerging that it isnt the game all those fancy CGI trailers were having us believe. My impression of the game is a cross between CoD 4 & Brothers in arms with crysis-esque visuals (lets not forget that crysis is 2 years old now, and although pretty to look at has a slight cartoon feel) that dont look as good as ArmA 2's gritty, drab style which looks far more realistic & true to life. Im no fanboy but I think ArmA 2 is easily on top as far as the military sim genre goes & is the better game of the two, although I reckon Flashpoint 2 will probably top the games charts for a while as it will appeal to the CoD crowd & will probably pick up quite a mainstream following. I think it will be an above average game & fun to play but highly doubt codemasters are going to steal away BIS' hardcore fanbase.

p.s. I do like the CoD games myself for mindless blast, but when I want immersion,realism & a challange I find it in BIS' games :)

Why everyone still eat into the word of the reviewer? There is a large chance that he is talking about 360 version right?

Yeah, I was thinking that myself. However, there's no official announcement on the DR forums despite a number of threads being launched about the subject, which is slightly worrying.

If we're talking about this preview: As far as I can tell there was only the PC version present @ gamescom. Atleast I have not seen any Xbox standing around at the CM booth but 8 or 10 PCs.

Here you go.

Maybe I'm misreading it because it's so badly written, but after reading through it about three times, that's the only interpretation of what's he trying to say that I can figure out.

Usually I don't approve of taking the piss out of specific people on the DR forums, but considering the amount of people that this guy has labeled douchebags for no good reason, he's earned it.

The dude is being paid by CM. It's obvious. It has to be. Nobody can be so ... dumb :j:

By now it also IS obvious that CoDR is NOT a simulation. I think CM admits that in several interviews etc.

I got no problem with CM forumites -they support a game they believe will be good, I support a game that I already enjoy. If their game is good, I'll support that too. It aint complicated.

That was a strange and random attack on BIS and a couple of our memebers though, glad the majority over there saw it for what it was...

That was a strange and random attack on BIS and a couple of our memebers though, glad the majority over there saw it for what it was...

Yea, and the moderators or an admin there deleted the evidence ;)

I'm still hoping to try a demo for this game, although I can't say I'll be in a rush to download it.

I wonder what the response to the game will be when it's finally out. Curious about the review scores.

One of the better known Czech gaming webs released a preview of the Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, based on their first-hand experience with the game.

The conclusion after the preview version is clear: it is going to be a typical FPS, near-Rambo-style, and galaxies far away from the original game.

At least, there is not going to be an issue for us wheater to go for OPFDR, or stick with A2...:o)

Link (Czech only):http://www.doupe.cz/Doupecz/Dojmy-Operation-Flashpoint-Dragon-Rising--nelitostny-souboj/Ve-stinu-draka/sc-108-sr-1-a-135333-ch-129181/default.aspx

Come on.....all of us will try the demo and I think alot of us will buy it, just because of the variety it brings. We're not only playing Arma 2, are we....

The interesting aspect here is if the game does well. If it does, BIS should have a look at it and learn from its marketing tactics. For example: the CM devs release videos (WIP) before the release, interviews with the people behind the screens etc. I would suggest to BIS to do the same for Operation Arrowhead.

...... I hope its editor is as strong as BIS is. And that one can add content to the pc game, if not........

Most important here is for BIS to pay attention, marketingwise.........you can say alot about CM, but they clearly listened to their customers incorporating their suggestions, lets hope BIS does the same for Operation Arrowhead.

Most people will test the demo and probably buy it just of the share amount of variety it will bring.......BIS can learn a lesson of their marketing efforts for Operation Arrowhead if this does well.......and I'm sad to say it, but this will outsell Arma 2 in big numbers........if the pc version of this game supports a good editor where one can add content.....Operation Arrowhead better be great!

I wish someone quoted that CM forum rant for truth. I would have liked to read it. Hillarious that it was swept under the carpet, though.

When your community leaders start to shit the bed all over the official forums and the admins need to sweep it under the carpet, you know that the ship is sinking.

"BIS are trying to sink DR with new features". Well duh. It's called business and market share.

Edited by Max Power

Mmmm, it will sell more but, to me that keeps away the riff raff. Shame for BIS but no riff raff is always good, especially for on-line play. ;)

I wish someone quoted that CM forum rant for truth.

You mean this one:

Quick Summary:

----

BIS looks like once again is using cheap tactics to try to undercut the release of OFP2. It is childish and quite the douchebag move. While promoting a community culture supportive to there mentality. The point of this post was to bring awareness and to note - we are really not doing so bad when you compare to other forums in our comparative market.

----

The Original Message:

Well I was out doing my morning stroll to find OFPR information and I came across this gem. If you sit back with a clear mind the message they are projecting is more of one of "I don't want to change, This is inferior to my tastes" and less - "Zomg OFP2 blows". So I took stock and move on.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...89#post1414489

With extra attention put on this post.

On first look you can notice 3 things. The poll is in great shape, the title of the thread is FPR (nice political statement there *roll eyes*) and

After sitting back in my chair and trying to decipher if it's "IM SUCH A FAN NOTHING CAN SHAKE MY LOYALTY" blind rage, or a worth while post. I did a look for that post. I conclude that person is using a bit to much emotion, and seeing how small his post is - that very good for a game when that's all some one has to nitpick on. Hell BF1942/BF2 I could write 4 pages

Going to Armedassault.info is where the real douchebagery kicks in. You know (any long term fans) that thoughout OFP2's development BIS has been less then slient in there "Zomg new patches" and "Hey look at us we got website updates" near and around alot of OFP2 major release dates. So it's not to be exspected with OFP2 releaseing they would fall back to the same old garbage they have been doing for at least a year now.

Ask your self before proceeding, that you think are the largest flaws in OFP and the most attractive thing to players in the market right now. Your most likely guess MP numbers, Large detailed Citys, Lots of units and weapons and vechs.

So what does BIS offer?

Lets start with giving you OFP1 remade in the newer engine: http://www.armedassault.info/index.p...id=2941&game=0

Second a exspantion pack: http://www.armedassault.info/index.p...id=2939&game=1

and Third staged photos to give every millsim child what they want - the Army in Iraq shooting "Terros" with air flying overhead like the big boys on the field: http://www.armedassault.info/index.p...id=2938&game=1

I find it funny that what they choose to release is directly targeting the "missing content" in OFP2. It's shrewd and effective, but cheap and reflects poorly on the company which in the last year, I have grown to dislike more and more due to ****ty practises like this.

Now you might be saying, "Naa this stuff was planned and it's not likly it has anything to do with OFP2".

To that I say Bupkis! - Just read the scripted Q and A.

Starting with:

Is there going to be a functional FLIR system out of the box (everything has heat based textures)

Jennik: Yes, there will be a FLIR system. We have one of the most sophisticated FLIR simulation systems already done for VBS2 and we will bring it in Arrowhead to fans of ARMA2 too.

Will the game have Functional IR lasers (PEQ units) like in vbs2? Or Flashlights?

Jennik: I'm glad to say: Yes, and yes.

Is the terrain based on Afghanistan? Or is it more of a desert?

Jennik: Kind of, it will include dense urban areas and the countryside too.

--------

No one really talks from what I see about the flaws of ARMA2, like we do here with OFP2. I know some do, untill fanboy #1 crushes him (Do note he is saying "Bugfixes will occur during the expansion development process" and is talking about a game company that still needs to patch ARMA1 - Sure they are going to get it this time, in there new expatiation pack you need to pay for - Just about as good as EA games). You see very little addressing about the patches needed, the unplayable game for many, over blur, ******** AI/voice communication system and the fact they made a EXP pack to make more money without yet addressing core issues.

When they are called out on it - they reply "Thats how we roll, we need money plz!". People paid for a game that worked - not for them to figure it out as you "go along". Now dont get me wrong your not paying for the patch or the fixes in the EXP. You are however giving away money to expand a game, and further development to developers who are spending more time making content to sell, under cutting CM then patching a game.

At this point now, I getting real fed up with BIS. I really don't care if CM releases a flaming turd - BIS with it's current management will never get my money, not unless I'm really really desperate. I know CM is a good company and the OFP devs are great and will support us at least for a good long time. I know CM as hole "company" is slow and really really slow to reacting to change. However they are not malevolent like BIS looks to me.

You only need to look at there forums to see the culture BIS promote and allow to exist. I find it hard to believe a game company would allow immaturity worse then we have seen here, to be promoted.

Anyways I though I would share that. I think it's the most childish thing ever and I think they get crucified over this issue. I truly hope there public wises up that it's not "Oh hai we made you this new stuff because we like you", it's "Hey we are EA games and we are making this stuff so our competitors have less to say "Look what we have and you don't" Please don't buy there product!" + We want more moneys!. That and a side order of staged, targeted responses (which CM doesn't do in any quality other when for legal reasons) should make anyone puke.

:whistle:

Edited by DM

Thanks alot DM. I didn't miss that in the thread, did I? I read about 6 pages all in one go and I don't know if I glossed over it.

BIS is 'malevolent'. That's hugely rich.

Everynight before I go to bed, I check my closet to make sure that BIS isn't in there, licking its fangs and biding its time until I fall into helpless sleep.

Most people will test the demo and probably buy it just of the share amount of variety it will bring.......BIS can learn a lesson of their marketing efforts for Operation Arrowhead if this does well.......and I'm sad to say it, but this will outsell Arma 2 in big numbers........if the pc version of this game supports a good editor where one can add content.....Operation Arrowhead better be great!

Well obviously it will outsell Arma2. But that doesn't mean it is a better game. That only mean that the game is made for the "stupid" majority.

What lesson can BIS learn? To make a crappy mainstream games instead of pure classics so that every moron will buy them?

Thanks alot DM. I didn't miss that in the thread, did I? I read about 6 pages all in one go and I don't know if I glossed over it.

No, it was posted on the CM forums, last for about 2 days, where he got a pretty divided response, and it has magically dissapeared this morning. I guess that means that at least the actual staff at CM dont really agree with him... At least not vocally anyway...

If the game can be modded I will probably buy it and it will be the perfect replacement for BF2(another game I enjoyed).

If it runs more than five minutes then it'll have my vote.