Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

New beta :D

[60718] Changed: AI now goes to Combat behaviour automatically only when under fire, not when player is prone.

[60718] Changed: AI follows leader stance, but does not switch to combat behaviour when player is prone.

[60711] Changed: Units now never enter cover while moving in compact (Delta or File) formations.

It sounds really nice :cool:

Internet was knocked out all day here due to upgrade. So finally i can DL and give it a go. :)

Sounds like great changes. Auto stance change wohoo!

Hmmm, i don't think safe mode is working so well... when i have my squad in aware they will get into formation perfectly... however if i set them to safe and then change formation like from delta to line they do not change... i tried this twice as CDF squad... will try again though just to make sure...

Mh for me none of the changes work.

Im trying with a night mission.

Squad never copy my stance.When i order them to "Crouch"(i dont know why its named double Crouched in command menu...) player says"copy my stands" but they do what they want..lay down or crouch.I set my Team to Safe, Formation Delta but if they spot enemys they still use cover, even lay down doesnt care if i order them "Return to Formation" or whatever. How things actually are with, i want 1.4 command system back..;-(

EDIT: Problems with latest beta. SAFE will make my AI start walking headless away and around. COPY MY STANCE works as in 60588. They dont crouch when i crouch.

None of the changes works for me either.. I am also surprised the team leader still would do a lot of unwanted things when switched from him to a subordinate.. like setting a satchel charge off or changing stance. Even if i issue a "HIT THE DIRT" command the leader of the group will always stand... making the tactical combat execution ala Hidden and Dangerous quite impossible.. :(

EDIT: Problems with latest beta. SAFE will make my AI start walking headless away and around. COPY MY STANCE works as in 60588. They dont crouch when i crouch.

Very true!

[60711] Changed: Units now never enter cover while moving in compact (Delta or File) formations.
Even in combat/stealth mode? This doesn't sound like a good change to me.

I usually use Delta formation in urban areas to keep my units close, but I still want them to use cover.

Still, it's great to see work being done on the AI :)

Even in combat/stealth mode? This doesn't sound like a good change to me.

I usually use Delta formation in urban areas to keep my units close, but I still want them to use cover.

Still, it's great to see work being done on the AI :)

exactly! i do the same thing, i hope they don't refuse to take cover :butbut:

The copy my stance kinda worked for me... But only when prone... when you crouch, they will stand up, but prone, they will go prone, and occasionally crouch. but never stand and not go into combat mode

In safe mode, only problem I see is the AI become confused when we walked them near roadside. They seem wanted to walk on the roadside (the AI pathway), but we human use our own path, so the seems a bit confuse which pathway to follow. Bigger problem is at road intersections/crossroads when we have to cross it

Edited by Mr_Centipede

The copy my stance kinda worked for me... But only when prone... when you crouch, they will stand up

That is the proof it does not work. As it has worked like that since A2 first version - no change. ;)

Also, performance is still degraded compared to 60141. I know this is because the improved VD, which in itself is great, but to get performance back up to 141 levels i think ARMA2 need separate slider/viewdistance settings for things such as trees etc.

I've used kju's drawdistance mod and it works really good without getting in the way of performance. Ofcourse this is because the trees do not get drawn as far as with the last 2 beta's. Maybe different sliders/viewdistance settings separately for houses/rocks/trees?

Sorry to keep mentioning performance but it is an important issue.

Thanks for the support BIS!!

Performance is bit degraded in this 718 build, dunno why. I tried formations in stealth mision but for some reason de IA didnt reach me at all (they followed diferent and worse paths), didnt respect the Phrone order correctly because 2 of them gone crouching and got cauch by the enemy (i was still phrone).

IA for Aware/combat (at least aware) needs a bit more to polish, but you guys are in the correct way.

I would like to see more improvements in the overall performance of the game and no offense, I would like the damm grass looking good while I run onto it (It doesnt stop spreading, changing form etc at 1 meter away from me, it is crazy)

Thank you for your support

PD: I remember Farcry 2 having such a nice grass, you could see it alomost to the infinite and it didnt hurt performance at all...cant you do anything like that?

Personally, I like this change : I can keep the AI squad in tight formation inside urban environments and benefit the danger mode.

Although, sometimes the whole AI squad will take a big detour instead of following the leader precisely.

I notice quite aperformance decrease in 60718, most noticable when flying.

Formation do work as advertised as long as the leader is walking, running will break most formations, but that has to be exspected.

I cant notice a tendency for more cohesion and less cover in delta or file formations in combat mode.

At least no frequent crashes with this build at this time.

(Crappy) video demonstrating reversed feed using M240 in MH-60

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6_ApCoYTpw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6_ApCoYTpw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Complaining about things is going to get us nowhere.. giving constructive feedback is.. we know BIS read this thead and i think we should help them by giving good feedback.

If you find an error state the error and how to reproduce that error, even a video or example mission. Means BIS can find and then try to fix the error as soon as possible making it better for everyone in the long run. :)

beta 718, i think my AI went to a speshul scool lol. they couldn't regroup (simply didn't understand it) when set to safe they were still acting like they were in full combat mode.

need to go test some more. bbl

[60718] Changed: AI now goes to Combat behaviour automatically only when under fire, not when player is prone.

[60718] Changed: AI follows leader stance, but does not switch to combat behaviour when player is prone.

Thank god for that ... great work BIS on new patch.

It is not working properly.

• AI is really slow, using bounding overwatch also in aware mode since even if only one enemy is detected and then killed - they won't return to aware mode and stay in combat mode instead.

• Taking cover take them ages to done (they should not watch - they should run and take cover).

• Some AI also stand up or crouch when the rest of a group is regrouped and in prone position following leader.

• Also, AI is unable to follow you fast enough, so when you're runing over an open ground under fire, they tend to be very slow and get killed (delta and file formation too). When you are finally in cover, they are dead or 150 - 300 meters away. It will need lot of tuning yet.

EDIT: Also, they actually go to COMBAT mode when in delta and file formation. Just like any other formation. Present AI seem to me as worse than with previous beta and moreover - this patch doesn't do what is said in it's changeLog. So I hope for a hot fix.

EDIT2: Also, AI is going COMBAT mode even if enemy doesn't know about them and AT EASE is set up (it actually doesn't matter, what mode you set them cause they will always ignore it in contact with enemy - even if enemy is unaware of them). That's quite critical.

EDIT3: But sometimes they behave properly but that's the minority of cases. Dunno why.

Edited by Bouben

Thank god for that ... great work BIS on new patch.

Yes it sounds great haven't tested it myself yet, but the feedback from people here tells me it's not working very well :butbut:

...so when you're runing over an open ground under fire...
Sorry, but this is not WWI, and ArmAII A.I. reflects this.

They are not programmed to storm german trenches in Belgium. Please try a adequate tactic. :D

I dont remeber much from boot camp, but I can remember that we were told to never ever run over open ground if there is anything to hide.

Edited by Beagle

Sorry, but this is not WWI, and ArmAII A.I. reflects this.

They are not programmed to storm german trenches in Belgium. Please try a adequate tactic. :D

I dont remeber much from boot camp, but I can remember that we were told to never ever run over open ground if there is anything to hide.

Probably you don't understand what I've meant. Simple street crossing is complicated with AI "reflecting this". And if you need to run more than 15 meters, than you have bad luck cause it's imposible for AI to realize that fast legs are sometimes (often) better than precise overwatch.

So, I am not talking about sucidal trench assault but about for example normal flanking which has to be done hard and fast because of lack of cover for example or if you don't want to lose your chance to surprise an enemy.

Please, consider this.

Edited by Bouben