Sign in to follow this  
Goeth

Sound Of War v1.0

lol, to the people demanding previews on YouTube, this is a non-profit mod, this guy doesn't need to look for customers. So if you refuse to download it, you don't get a mod, and are missing out on additional, fresh content for your gaming experience. Who's really losing out?

lol, to the people demanding previews on YouTube, this is a non-profit mod, this guy doesn't need to look for customers. So if you refuse to download it, you don't get a mod, and are missing out on additional, fresh content for your gaming experience. Who's really losing out?

lol who said anything about mods or any addon being an profit? Just makes it vary easy to watch an clip of an sound mod and for the addon maker to highlight some of its goods ya dig.

Wasn't this proven as a myth? I'm under the impression that they're loaded in the order that best satisfies all requiredAddons dependencies.

For example: mod1 has mod2 in its requiredAddons. The order in the shortcut doesn't matter, mod2 will always be loaded before mod1.

True. But in addition to dependencies (assuming they are the same) the order ought to matter. I haven't compared the addon dependencies though, so might very well be something that makes this one load later than VOP, although it sounds odd to me.

lol who said anything about mods or any addon being an profit? Just makes it vary easy to watch an clip of an sound mod and for the addon maker to highlight some of its goods ya dig.

You completely missed the point of my post

I guess I have nothing new to add as I'm quite confident that all what I'm going to say has already been said:

- The Firearms sounds need (all in all) to be louder.

- Long Distance crack-SFX need some punch to make them sound more real.

- Jet Fighters Main Cannons Bug needs to be Fixed (No sound after the 1st shot).

-----------------

The impact sounds are rather impressive.

-----------------

That's all what I can say so far regarding this Sound MOD.

Regards,

TB

Gunshots in this game are no where near as high-fi as they ought to be in my opinion. There's no kick, not enough use of bass.

The impact sounds are brilliant, I love the metal impact sound!

Think I'll stick with VOP at the moment, but this is a great sound mod, thank you!, I'll definitely check out any future versions.

OK here is a quick and dirty (not very good) movie of the SOW sounds in action.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW6xVTCVPjU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW6xVTCVPjU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

you will notice that my rifle is much too quiet compared to the ambient gunfire around me. alos the tank is too quiet and I totally miss the sound of one of the explsions.

Anyway watch the vid and make up your own mind.

I like it. Good work :)

SD

I have tried,very impressive.Very like the sound from CNN news scene of the Israel fighting against Hamas.Great,I like it!

Gunshots in this game are no where near as high-fi as they ought to be in my opinion. There's no kick, not enough use of bass.

As much as I would like to agree with you on this, the games engine for some reason distorts loud sounds with too much bass or makes them hiss.

Currently I'm still using 1.02 and not re-installing the 1.03 patch at all, so the sound comes in crystal clear for me, I love the foot impacting dirt and gravel, its way better than default.

As much as I would like to agree with you on this, the games engine for some reason distorts loud sounds with too much bass or makes them hiss.

Currently I'm still using 1.02 and not re-installing the 1.03 patch at all, so the sound comes in crystal clear for me, I love the foot impacting dirt and gravel, its way better than default.

Tried 1.03.58834 (beta)? Fixes the sound disortion.

This sound mod has some flaws. Its not a flaw in the mod itself im sure, but the engine. Im getting more sounds disapearing when using this mod, and thats because ARMA2's engine cant play too many sounds at the same time i guess. Long trailoffs means there will be many sounds playing at the same time when combat starts. But never the less i really like this mod cause it gives a lot of bang when a lot is happening.

Another thing i noticed though and i think this one can be fixed. I see the M240 and M249 from a bit of distance cant be heared often. Was on Cherna and was sitting on a hill with some others on another hill in front of me (2-300 meters), and often when they were shooting i heard nothing. Some others were shooting but not much. I thaught first that maybe it was cause Goeth missed "sound over distance" and had too low value, but sometimes i heard one of them. Real weird.

So there are some problems with sounds not being played, and its more with this mod than others/stock. But im not certain to why. Maybe it can be tweaked a bit better. Who knows. But im still sticking with it cause i really like it. :)

I couple this one with some awesomeness from MarkXIII like jet sounds etc. I think every soundmod should be MODULAR so the player can choose to go with small arms fire from Goeth, aircrafts from MarkXIII and environmental sounds from Vop for example. Cant be better than that as most people have favourite parts in all mods.

Alex

+1 for modular-soundaddons

the tunguska gunsound is very weak imo., also the firerate is changed .....to long.

Edited by Reserve

yeah, modular soundmods = the way to go.

EDIT: Nvm. Somehow just happened once. Seems this mod needs tweaking. I had double sound when walking and then it got good again.

Edited by Alex72

good job, I like it, much more immersion. On the bass issue, I just cranked my subwoofer to max and I'm getting the floor to shake sufficiently.

I think i´ll wait for bis to release the official or final 1.03 patch before starting to make tweaks, there is some really funky stuff going on with the patches. In 1.02 weapons were really loud but after 1.03 beta things changed and now the sounds are not so loud.

As for those who complaint about the weapons being not so loud i dunno what to say, with my gear (sb x-fi+senhheiser 595) and 1.02 patch they are so loud that my ears almost explodes.

So fixes are coming but i´ll have to see bis cards first, be patient.

ps. Alex72 i noticed also that there is lot´s of cutoffs when using 1.03 beta.

To Goeth: Great work man! It sounds just great! As for me, this mod is absolutely "must have";)

I think you got the GAU-8 and GAU-12 sounds mixed up. The cannon on the F35 should be the sound on the a-10.

I think you got the GAU-8 and GAU-12 sounds mixed up. The cannon on the F35 should be the sound on the a-10.

Yep i agree. :)

I just downloaded your soundmod and I gotta say it's definitely the best mod for ArmA 2 so far! The sounds are so powerful 8) Where did u get em?

One prob...the AK47 uses the same sound file as AK74 :( doesnt sound right at all! otherwise sounds are bloody great mate!

Thanks for the feedback and bug reports, i´ll check every bug and oddity when it´s time for the patch.

I´m a bit busy with converting Podaga island to ArmA II right now. Maybe 50% done.:yay:

Apologize for interrupting you Goeth but I did want to follow Kylania by saying that the cockpit sounds in multiple aircraft are quite high in my opinion as well. Seems that the FDF pack for ArmA really nailed that as I could actually hear others over the VOIP net calling for support and whatnot. Seemed to fit with the logic of aircrew wearing helmets with specialized radio equipment that defeated internal cabin noises.

Another point of interest to consider if you get your recording equipment out again is to record the loading of a "full" magazine into a weapon. Your M-16 and variant loading sounds start out great with the empty aluminum bodied box magazine being released from the receiver but the insertion of a fresh magazine sounds just as "bright" as an empty magazine does. Definitely not a deal breaker but something that stands out to my ear.

Sound equipment used:

Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series

Driver: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi and X-Fi Titanium Series Linux 32-bit / 64-bit Driver

Headset: Sennheiser PC-350 closed headset

Regardless, thanks for the effort and I look forward to any updates to this project and the upcoming island.