Sign in to follow this  
Goeth

Sound Of War v1.0

I just downloaded your soundmod and I gotta say it's definitely the best mod for ArmA 2 so far! The sounds are so powerful 8) Where did u get em?

Even better than VopSound? I might have to give this a whirl if so...

Just droping in to say thanks for making imho the best soundmod for A2. Looking forward to any updates that are comming.

Even better than VopSound? I might have to give this a whirl if so...

That is a matter of taste, my friend.

Sound mods from Goeth aren't the only ones I've used, but they are the only ones I keep going back to.

Anyone have used this and VopSound? How do they compare?

**EDIT** Haha we posted at the same time. I mean for realism. For me the things that make a sound mod great are A: Realism, and B: Powerful sounds.

Anyone have used this and VopSound? How do they compare?

**EDIT** Haha we posted at the same time. I mean for realism. For me the things that make a sound mod great are A: Realism, and B: Powerful sounds.

I prefer SOW because well, it's basically FDF sounds. And I've always been a fan of FDF & HiFi. Just my personal opinion.

Alright, so I installed it and flew around Utes for a while in a Harrier and then shot some random firearms. Let's just say I deleted VopSound from my HDD. :) Great work man! Sounds are very accurate to real life and very powerful. I have yet to test out the distance sonic cracks etc but I'm sure they live up too.

Alright, so I installed it and flew around Utes for a while in a Harrier and then shot some random firearms. Let's just say I deleted VopSound from my HDD. :) Great work man! Sounds are very accurate to real life and very powerful. I have yet to test out the distance sonic cracks etc but I'm sure they live up too.

I gotta say that I do not agree with you, my case was all the way around, try firing with the M16 and then let me know. I tried it out for maybe 5 mins and I knew VOP2 was better, not as realistic as I though, even thou, there's other sounds, like enviroment, walking, impacts and jumping that are better than in VOP2, but when it comes to weapons, sorry but I don't think so.

I gotta say that I do not agree with you, my case was all the way around, try firing with the M16 and then let me know. I tried it out for maybe 5 mins and I knew VOP2 was better, not as realistic as I though, even thou, there's other sounds, like enviroment, walking, impacts and jumping that are better than in VOP2, but when it comes to weapons, sorry but I don't think so.

Have you ever fired an M16/M4? It sounds pretty accurate to me for being out in the open with trees around etc.

One have to remember that peoples experiences also varies due to different hw. I tested HiFi on my 2 computers and my laptop and the sound was different in all of them. Comes down to soundcard and headphones/speakers. Then you have all the drivers and software settings on that.

Have you ever fired an M16/M4? It sounds pretty accurate to me for being out in the open with trees around etc.

Sir, I own an AR15/M4 DPMS Panther A4, Also I have the pleasure of working with one of the fastest growing Firearm Mfg. and had the pleasure of firing from M9s all the way to AK's (MP5, M16 Full Auto (Vietnam), UZI etc) when it comes to reality what comes out of my headset from SOW is not as close to reality as what VOP2 offers, but again, this is my own opinion and other then the guns sounds everything else sound pretty much better than VOP2, for example, something that I liked, was the explosions from far away, sounded really nice. It will be great if we could combined both mods.

Sir, I own an AR15/M4 DPMS Panther A4, Also I have the pleasure of working with one of the fastest growing Firearm Mfg. and had the pleasure of firing from M9s all the way to AK's (MP5, M16 Full Auto (Vietnam), UZI etc) when it comes to reality what comes out of my headset from SOW is not as close to reality as what VOP2 offers, but again, this is my own opinion and other then the guns sounds everything else sound pretty much better than VOP2, for example, something that I liked, was the explosions from far away, sounded really nice. It will be great if we could combined both mods.

Hmm, that's really weird that we have different perceptions on what real firearms sound like.

It depends on many things,like place angle of view etc.And in videos recording gear.Maybe Gringo85 could record some sounds,so we could make better sound mods?Preferably with dat recorder etc,single shots,no other sounds around and mike somewhere 10-15 meters in front of the weapon.

Some play with speaker, some with headphones. Some use onboard audio, other soundcards. Different drivers and audio settings on top of that.

Ofcourse people experience soundmods differently. A soundmod can sound completely different depending on setup. I tested HiFi-NA on 3 different setups and it sounded different on all.

I tried this out last night and for some strange reason my game kept crashing to the desktop (4/5 times)

Going back to the stock sounds i was able to play for 2-3 hours with no crash.

Anybody got any ideas? the sounds wer4e quite nice as well! :(

Agreed, these sound mods need to take the time and make some effort to add modularity. Has no one learned anything from HiFi? If you force everyone to use everything, you'll end up with conversations of "I like this and this, but that doesn't sound realistic."

Adding modularity allows people to have a wider range of sound experience and enjoyment--allowing individuals to mix and match what they view as the best parts of several sound mods together for their perfect sound experience enjoyment.

I admit, I have been really enjoying SOW, and yet there are parts from other sound mods I'd love to pair up with this (the tank sound mod, HIFI, etc) that just isn't really possible right now because this is more setup as an "all or nothing" sound mod. :(

Agreed, these sound mods need to take the time and make some effort to add modularity. Has no one learned anything from HiFi? If you force everyone to use everything, you'll end up with conversations of "I like this and this, but that doesn't sound realistic."

Adding modularity allows people to have a wider range of sound experience and enjoyment--allowing individuals to mix and match what they view as the best parts of several sound mods together for their perfect sound experience enjoyment.

I admit, I have been really enjoying SOW, and yet there are parts from other sound mods I'd love to pair up with this (the tank sound mod, HIFI, etc) that just isn't really possible right now because this is more setup as an "all or nothing" sound mod. :(

110% agreement!

Hell, kju even made an awesome config template that comes from HiFi NA idea, but expands it ALOT more.

Let's not bug Goeth too much about this modular stuff. He's aware of it now and it's his prerogative whether or not he wants to go through the trouble. If his preferred design is not a modular one, then it's not a modular one, and the soundmod won't be modular. There is something to be said for a completely intact experience, as designed by the artist.

I tried this out last night and for some strange reason my game kept crashing to the desktop (4/5 times)

Going back to the stock sounds i was able to play for 2-3 hours with no crash.

Anybody got any ideas? the sounds wer4e quite nice as well! :(

try to put a @ before the SoWmod in arma2 directory and in youre shortcut (mod=@SoWmod) maybe that helps because what i notice is when the mod installs itself there is no @ and with me it did not work when i manually put the @ before the name it worked (strange :j: )

But anyway that is the best soundmod thanks for the mod Goeth

@ is only used to sort out all modfolders on top, its not needed. The important thing is that the modfolder name is spelled the same in the "-mod=" line.

No one is "bugging" him, we're all trying to help improve things for the community. Seems like to some "modular" is some sort of dirty word or something, heh. Granted, his first release for AA2, so that could also be why. Either way, I do not feel that asking for consideration is anything reprehensible or anything--if anything it's allowing players to have a bit more freedom when it comes to their personal tastes.

Whether or not he does, that's his decision. I think for what it is it's fantastic. There's some minor things that instead of nagging him to change himself can easily be remedied by allowing the community to simply "plug in" another .pbo to replace it. It's only so far 3 people roughly talking about it in general without demanding or "bugging" him. If he rather not or does not even wish to hear about a more modular system for the future, then let him tell the community. ;)

I'm not sure why you felt the need to argue for bringing modularity up again. If you want to continue discussing the pros and cons of modularity, feel free to PM me.