Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

British accent on a US army unit, BIS why didnt you snag Binko to do some voice acting sure it would've been cheap.

I fully support this :hehe:

It does sound better than Arma 2, but the accent is REALLY funny.

Skydome texture looks alot more improved, I love playing Arma during night, so hopefully one day we will get volumetric clouds as seen in just cause 2 and crysis that would be awesome.

Volumetric clouds are already in Arma 2. Place down the Weather module and they'll appear.

The other voices sounded fairly decent; I hope there are no more nine year-old boys as voice actors this time around, or Commonwealth voice actors trying to do American accents (e.g. Cooper and Captain Dressler). *shudders*

I'm pretty sure Cooper is American. His voice actor's always sounded American to me. Dressler does sound British, but I can't seem to think that he's trying to hide it. It is possible for Brits to join the US Marines, isn't it?

HDressler does sound British, but I can't seem to think that he's trying to hide it. It is possible for Brits to join the US Marines, isn't it?

Yes it is, but not very likely. There's not many British expatriates living in the United States, let alone any in the U.S. military. I always thought of Dressler as some kind of British liason officer, but that's just me.

I'm pretty sure Cooper is American.

Cooper is American but his voice actor probably isn't, as some his pronunciations were that of a Commonwealth accent. Remember that one can easily do a basic foreign accent. Case in point; there are many British and Australian actors/actresses playing American characters and vice-versa.

I fully support this

So do I, Bink is in the U.S. Army and knows military terminology well, and he's an American, unlike some of the voice actors. He could also be as a basic military advisor to BIS. One thing I dreaded in ArmA 2 was the mis-pronunciation of various military terms. Cores-Min, and Corpse-man just to name a few. ;)

Edited by Laqueesha

Volumetric clouds are already in Arma 2. Place down the Weather module and they'll appear.

Yeah somehow I actually just discovered that today when testing each module in my mission.

But the clouds look like poo poo seriously were like dark Brown in color.

Didnt have Sepia on or anything.

Look like a giant cloud of poison gas!

They could be larger to, they all looked the same, all small clumps didnt look to atmospheric but whatever.

Im sure ill get plenty of responses to this post

*grabs popcorn*

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

So do I, Bink is in the U.S. Army and knows military terminology well, and he's an American, unlike some of the voice actors. One thing I dreaded in ArmA 2 was the mis-pronunciation of various military terms. Cores-Min, and Corpse-man just to name a few. ;)

Exactly man. Binkowski is teh L337 MEN!

Dsylexia could do some voice overs too, isnt he in the armed forces?

Dont forget the Asain pilot in "Trail By Fire" one of my favorite jokes with Arma 2.

HODE ON WEEPA FOA! :D:p

Nice....

Arma 3 needs, 64bit support, physics simulation, Volumetric particle effects, Super advanced AI, Deferred lighting, More realistic character models, More realistic graphic tone.

and it has to run on linux! :P

This is just madness! I'm checking this thread all the time and what I get here instead of news about OA? Tons of posts where people whining and bitching one everything. Why you hate this game so much?

This is just madness! I'm checking this thread all the time and what I get here instead of news about OA? Tons of posts where people whining and bitching one everything. Why you hate this game so much?

The Operation Arrowhead news thread is here, mate: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=70317&page=570

This thread is for discussion about the game itself. ;)

You call this a discussion? Oh boy your doctor is a liar, you need new pills ;)

You call this a discussion? Oh boy your doctor is a liar, you need new pills ;)

Likewise, mate. :p

Here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9PI5fpINJI&feature=player_embedded he says "enemy man 12 o'clock 200 meters" and in arma one it was "12 o'clock enemy man 200 meters"?

Anyway, it looks good. I like it that you can actually see something at night without NVGs. The accent is a bit funny though.

By the way, why M3s just go kill them selves in that village? You should have control over them (go or stop) like in "Guardian" back in OFP:).

Isnt that still the WIP code that was given some time ago? The game will change (read improve) a lot from that one.

Alex72, do you really think so? hope I'm mistaken, but BIS has only ~ 1 month before gold release. looks like they are on fixing existent bugs, while their "brand new sound engine" and "more realistic AI chat" already integrated and look exactly the same, as vanilla ArmA 2. once more, hope I'm wrong.

Everything seen probably wont be changed but im sure there are improvements over the WIP code. I draw that conclusion from that it is in fact WIP code. ;)

sure there will be improvements. the only thing I'm interested in: where is this new sound engine and how was it improved in compare to ArmA 2? hope wiki will answer my questions)

Have you seen how the gun data in the hud goes red when firing or out of ammo... That could be a hint at jamming function too.

Edit : about the new sound engine (surround/spatial sound/number of simultaneous channels...), you cannot judge it based on a crappy youtube video. About the gun sounding strange, it has a silencer that's why.

Edited by EricM

Alex72, do you really think so? hope I'm mistaken, but BIS has only ~ 1 month before gold release. looks like they are on fixing existent bugs, while their "brand new sound engine" and "more realistic AI chat" already integrated and look exactly the same, as vanilla ArmA 2. once more, hope I'm wrong.

The AI chat already sounds a lot better, it's nothing like real life but the only way you'd get that is if you play serious multi-player with other people.

Hamm, I agree, that "it's nothing like real life", but I really can't see any global improvements from vanilla to OA. could you prove I'm wrong?

Good job on the FAQ and the new video made me happy : loved the new speech, the thermal sight & the environment.

^^ Agreed. With all the new goodies on the one hand, and the overall rather positive previews on the other, OA is shaping up to be pure awesomesauce. :)

+1 :yay:

I don't think a lot of people will use Chernarus' exe when Arrowhead is installed

Same old ARMA AI, those Bradleys just go flying off into fire and get desroyed when they could have sit back and fired at their leisure beyond the range of any RPG.

Is it that hard to code the AI not to drive towards, at high speed an enemy? But rather to sit back and kill it from a distance or slowely and steadily advance?

indeed, sometimes the AI seems to love their waypoints a bit too much :D : vehicles throwing themselves on RPGs and soldiers on bullets

Edited by MQ-9 Reaper

That's weird but it's look like corpses are not cool down, maybe they need more time ;)

my guess is that almost all ace2-feature will be somehow found in OA because ace-devs are in cahoots with bis-devs. :suspect:

so i'm off to renew the aluminum-foil on my walls :nuts:

In 15 minutes you'll see some Apache stuff including gun cam, countermeasures and AI behaviour.

BTW. IDEA didn't respond, so video could be removed by violation blablabla after some time, but I'm waiting almost 2 weeks with this.

Edited by eJay

We wanted VBS2 features and we got them. Some of them are even improved over VBS2. Making speech sound perfect with this amount of frases is really really hard. I know because i worked with sounds for many years professionaly. The engine is improved. There are optimizations to performance. There are new sounds and improved sound engine. There are new islands, units, vehicles and a lot of other things.

My point is that its hard for me to complain knowing whats going into this "expansion". Not to mention its hard to complain and base an opinion from WIP code where im sure many reviewers doesnt even know the game we do, and therefor we dont see all that is there. Even though im as eager as the next guy i say lets chill a bit and lets be happy we are actually seeing more coming out from the best game devs in history. :)

Thats right - they could have stopped at ARMA2.

Hamm, I agree, that "it's nothing like real life", but I really can't see any global improvements from vanilla to OA. could you prove I'm wrong?

I wouldn't go to the bother of scouring through YouTube videos, but it just sounds more compatible and mature than ArmA2. In ArmA2, broken up sentences would sound so weird you'd think it's the voice of three different people, especially in words like "in" or "of". Edit: And even if done by same voice actor, emotional state is odd. "12 o'clock" calm, "MAAAN!" worried, "in" robot, "Vybor" Czech accent.

In that video, it doesn't sound like that at all. Even though they use similar vocabulary, it's just one person doing the voice acting per character, and not 3 voices for one sentence. That brings me to the other point, the voices sound more mature/professional than those of ArmA2's "Got that suckah!!".

Edited by Hamm

That's weird but it's look like corpses are not cool down, maybe they need more time ;)

It takes about 30 - 45 mins for a body to cool down after being... terminated. Edit: and even then thats only by 10 degrees or so.

Edited by DM