Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

# Improved vehicle simulation (damage model, physics, countermeasures, top down radars, warning systems, helmet-mounted displays)

# Improved weapon simulation (multiple optics modes, range finders, step based zoom)

fantastic news here! i am excited to see what changes were made to the damage model for vehs.

plus, yes, we have multiple types of optics available! now we can use the irons on the svd/ak rifles!

edit: this list is what i wanted out of BIS. way better than some screen shots or even a vid. its a list of solid information. awww yeaah :D

Edited by That guy

That list gives me goosebumps.

Gorgeous stuff, looking forward to all of this very much!

Anyone else also notice this under Improvements In The Original ARMA 2 Game?

I'm speachless, i have never EVER owned a game that have given me so much entertainment as ArmA 2 have(including such a dedicated community as BIS forums). With Operation Arrowhead the game will live for years to come and for a prize smaller than a normal game... heh who wanna miss that, not me thats for sure :)

Got a mail from a friend and he was asking about the latest news and why BIS didnt make any updates on their official OA website... http://www.arma2.com/arrowhead/index.html :confused:

I reply:

BIS are devs and dont like to spend time making a good presentation of their own work. They may even think that this is futile. Now they have copy & paste some text into their wiki and open a discussion page. Cant say in which galaxy they live but moderators seems to be unable to lead a similar disussion thread in the BIS forums. Why make it easy when it can be complicated?

Sorry but marketing and advertisement seems to be still a mystery for BIS. Is it so hard to update at least the OA website with informations + few pictures? I'm sure that a slightly higher priority on this will get some more peoples attention & interest. :)

dear NoRaiLGunner,

the OA site will be updated when ready same like anything else from BI ...

also You obviously missed the all press A2:OA previews

and You also missed A2:O2 FAQ + Q&A wiki

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1622384

where You may 'ask the developer' w/e You want to know by Yourself...

Some good points covered on the wiki...can't wait. (...and thanks for xfire update on this Dwarden).

But why all the infos, pictures and teasers cant be on the OA pages - days, weeks, months without an update? Now the release is close but still - no updates/news there.

If you like to know something about a product - would you like to search for it through magazines, forums and wikis or would you like to see and read about it on the official website?? Where do you go first???

How should people get in touch with this great game if the infos are scattered that way? Please get your PR manager & assistants a big can of extrastrong coffee + some tasty cookies and let them do some presentation wonders. I'm sure people wont regret it (incl. sales department). :)

Anyway, thanks for the infos and I'll keep my fingers crossed for OA.

Wow Congratulations BIS!

This list was very entertaining to read through.

On the Wiki

Official DLC plans and after release support

As usual, Bohemia will try to provide the best after release support as possible (as our past track record shows). This time, we also have plan to release some significant DLC for OA, more details about these plans will be revealed later.[/Quote]

This has me really excited.

Screen shaking will add alot more immersion when explosions are going off near you, and also I assume when driving in a truck or Hummer on gravel roads will make the screen vibrate alittle bit.

SSAO is a great addition, Heavily Optimized Veggies is a HUGE plus! :yay:

Reading the part about the Editor already being very polished,

I would like to know if there maybe future plans to make the editor even easier for people like me a while back, Integrated "Weapon loadout" unit tab, a randomize button for equipment and character appearance, and a respawn this unit option.

As well as making a script helper function in the editor, incase you dont remember a part of the code etc. These would really help out alot of the noobies to the editor.

Thanks alot BIS, and its going to be a long almost 2 months till Release. God help us all.

PS: BIS please tell us where we can mail checks to you for the full retail amount of the game, this game is easily going to be worth more than 60 dollars. Need to support the hard working devs, the few we have left in the industry. :)

How should people get in touch with this great game if the infos are scattered that way? Please get your PR manager & assistants a big can of extrastrong coffee + some tasty cookies and let them do some presentation wonders. I'm sure people wont regret it (incl. sales department). :)

Jan (the PR Manager) was in the UK for a few days a couple of weeks ago doing PR (as you have seen from numerous previews), today he's in France doing PR, next week he's in the US doing PR.........

Its as if people think that just because they cant see whats going on, nothing is happening at all.

And it just couldnt be further from the truth. :cool:

Jan (the PR Manager) was in the UK for a few days a couple of weeks ago doing PR (as you have seen from numerous previews), today he's in France doing PR, next week he's in the US doing PR.........

Jeeze, this 'Jan' guy talks so much in so many countries you'd think he was an ambassador or something - Oh wait, uh yeah.. :p

By the way, where in the US will Jan be? [GreatKarnak] West coast! [/GreatKarnak]

Great Gobs of Goose Grease, Batman! What a list! I'm impressed with the size of it alone, but when you look at it's contents!?! Blown away is a good term, not comprehensive enough, but this ---> :yay: <---Yeah. That about does it.

Awesome news BIS, and Flash: you're right, it's now a much LOOOONGER 2 mos wait! :D

Edited by Scrub

Its as if people think that just because they cant see whats going on, nothing is happening at all.

And it just couldnt be further from the truth. :cool:

Indeed.

See? There is always someone complaining:icon_bash:

thats why earth is a prison planet.:eek:

Damn BIS! I can't wait anymore :eek:

2 things I really love in this check list (those which we didn't knew before) would be:

1) SSAO - This really a good improvement on engine. It's nice to see ArmA in that list with all the other big games like Crysis, Uncharted ect... Can't also menton, that this algorithm was invented by Estonian programmer who works in crytek :cool:

2) Step based zoom - Hell yeah! Really.. that other zoom killed immersion to me. Was kind a annoying to hold zooooooom in or zooooooooooom out and more over max level was 5x or sth? Can't wait to see now 16x or 32x zoom level hehe xD

Well we have now FLIR, zoom levels, C-130, It's are prefect for AC-130 hehe or maybe in future DLCs? ;)

Edited by Mafia101

Damn it im getting so excited over this.

Its mad realy OFP,ARMA 1 and ARMA 2 are the only games I ever play and go back to every time.

This new info on OA well lets just say I have done a little sex wee in my boxers :)

BIS I LOVE YOU

There is also the experimental and fully moddable 3D editor so we did not feel it necessary to commit extra work to this area in A2OA.

Meaning it will stay experimental and hidden ? That's a shame... if at least it could spit standard mission files...

As for the editor being "perfect", it's not bad, but it's far from perfect... Gear tab anyone ? in game briefing tab ?

Edited by EricM

Hmmm,

Well.. No word about AI. Has BIS given up on it?

Look , I love all the new improvements , they are great.

But unless you have AI to simulate warfare with , all you end up with is Quake

with some fancy tech-gadgets.

Is it me or is there really no interest in being a squad leader giving your AI mates a better set of tactical orders or hell even being a platoon leader with numerous squads , possibly led by humans, below you.

Would it not be more fun if you went up against enemies that were organized in the same fashion or performed ambushes and then got the hell away in an assymmetrical warfare fashion?

I am just wondering how many more years of waiting there is going to be before BIS is going to work in that area.

[it has been 5 now. Also, I would well settle if AI just would follow your damn orders again without doing that stupid theatrical BS. Well, that and an actual context-sensitive squad command interface. You know like. Click on Vehicle->Get in->As Cargo ; Click on empty spot->Setup->MG; Click on enemy location->Supress->Low Rate of Fire... but I digress]

You just got the point.

OperationFlaspoint2 sucks big time, but theres 1 thing which id love to see in Arma...The Command Interface. I dont think it would be hard to change it, just to make it more intuitive. They must change it..-(

About the AI...I think they are doing there best. But im also sure, that the current Code for the AI is allready close to what it can do.

Lets hope we´l see some improvements in OA.

If BIS is changing the Command Interface to ease, il buy 2 copys of OA.......

Hmmm,

Well.. No word about AI. Has BIS given up on it?

Oh, don't worry. They keep improving them in the Beta patches and those improvements would in all likelihood be transfered to OA. Perhaps even with improvements the Beta patches doesn't receive.

And I'm fairly sure they'll keep on improving them after the release of OA as well.

Wow OA FAQ blew me away, I'm very impressed. Now I gotta think of some questions for that "ask a dev" thing...

If BIS is changing the Command Interface to ease, il buy 2 copys of OA.......

I guess you'll have to settle with 1 copy then, i would really hate it if BIS changed the already fine and working commanding system.

Agree'd, sure flashpoint2 had a more streamlined command interface but can you do nearly what you can with the real virtual engine? I doubt it very seriously.

The less clicks the better sure but how would you replace it and make it more intuitive? Replace the command keys with mouse coursing where instead you have a huge compass blotting your screen?

Could you select the 1 unit or would you have to select all? Could you tell everyone what firemode, stance, vehicle to mount, seat to be in, formation to be in, gear to take, and many more without replacing the organized keytaps and turning it into a big mousy blobmass of compasses?

Anyways, woo more updates and good ones, this is looking more and more like what Resistance was to OFP.

Edited by NodUnit

The interface, basically, is fine. It´s just too big in various places, the front-end was replaced by the context sensitive menu (so only people who remembered the numbers like us Flashpoint veterans could immediately access all relevant menus from the get go, everybody else had to sort of find out by trial and error. I still confuse numbers very often because I don´t have the list on screen anymore.), and there´s still a few menu items which are labeled incorrectly.

Last year I put a lot of thought into improving the interface, and all I got was basically one short animation with fancy swipes and a deeper but narrower interface, which was just moving the problem around to different places. The only way to "improve" it is to throw a lot of stuff out, and then you end up with something like DR, where you don´t have enough fine control to really coordinate large squads. On top of that, I hated the radial menu.

I´m looking forward to what BIS themselves came up with, but I hope that it´s at least correcting some of the labels. (Advance should actually mean Advance guard, Flank doesn´t commmand a Unit to actually flank but instead take up flank guard, and several others.)

THe AI apparently has been improved: even the harshest reviewers of Arma 2 say that it has less problems than the original game, and was rarely making trouble.

Cheers

Insta