Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

I think the "with problems" part is a typo. Or it just means that there'll be some limitations/restrictions as to *what* of the old content will work. Hopefully there won't be any restrictions though and it'll work like their expansions usually do (at least when starting with the arrowhead.exe ^^ )

To what degree do original ArmA II and Operation Arrowhead interact? For example, can Operation Arrowhead units be used in ArmA II and can Modifications be loaded in Operation Arrowhead with copying them all to a new directory?

BIS: ArmA II content can be used in Operation Arrowhead with problems."

Damn... thanks for the hint, fixed now. :)

Question: will there be fully destructible environments like the one used in bad companies frostbite engine? i believe that is the missing piece to the puzzle for Arma 2 to become a legendary game.

First of all, we do games because we like to do them, in case we will buy some engine it mean we will just put content to technology that is not ours. But we like making technology. And just from my point of view, in that case, i will not be interested to make games this way any more and i belive it will be same for most of people in company.

And that's good, but the core engine looks like it could do with a complete overhaul so you actually utilize the monster rigs that your userbase is shelling out for. The core engine was quite awesome when released with OFP1 but the current engine can't be used for 10km VD. Not because there isn't machinepower enough, but because the engine doesn't utilize it. I think that's the main concern we have.

And it's obvious that it's too complex at this time since jumping tanks from OFP1 is still present and we were promised an item weight system for "game 2" as it was called back in the day, but this has obviously been scrapped.

Yay for urban CQC! Except.... Arma II only allows you to move at a very slow pace with your weapon pointing forward, ready to shoot. That essantially means that CQC is impossible in the game, since you need to move fast and still be able to fire your weapon :(. This is especially brutal in indoors fighting or other tight spaces.

Another thing is that the AI doesn't take advantage of builings i.e. get to rooftops or windows to find firing positions, which makes urban areas frustratingly unrealistic to play, as the AI is just spinning around in the middle of the streets helplessly.

FLIR

PEQ

Flashlights

hell, that's enough content for a new game and I'm willing to also buy it, no matter if it's stand alone :D

BUT please B.I. don't get the EA syndrome like NFS ans FIFA titles, that every new version drops cool features

please don't forget about

Animal Life & Civilians, All your awesome modules

BI needs our support, but please we as a community need to join efforts and remind them not to lose any feature but add new things and correct the bugs

From the announcement in the ArmA 2 news forum :

The FLIR/lasers/flashlights from Operation Arrowhead, will they be included also in ArmA II or are they only available in Operation Arrowhead?

BIS: No, this would be a too serious change in the engine which could also break the content of ArmA II.

Now, I am very disappointed.

I had hoped that Chernarus' content (which we paid full price, comparatively to Arrowhead announced at a medium ranged price) wouldn't become a closed parenthesis within ArmA 2's story. But it seems it is going to be the case...

hell, that's enough content for a new game and I'm willing to also buy it, no matter if it's stand alone :D

Hush, dont tell them and complain for more! They may get lazy otherwise. ;)

Sneaking would also be very nice. (Knife wouldnt make sense if you are making so much noise while moving)

from new post: Will Operation Arrowhead include western forces besides the U.S. Army?

BIS: There will be some more than just U.S. Army Units, yes.

WTF is that supposed to mean... are there british forces with weapons and vehicles... YES or NO... come on.. i want a straight answer for once.. like challenger 2 and schimitar..

Sneaking would also be very nice. (Knife wouldnt make sense if you are making so much noise while moving)

That would be a wonderful addon indeed +1

from new post: Will Operation Arrowhead include western forces besides the U.S. Army?

BIS: There will be some more than just U.S. Army Units, yes.

WTF is that supposed to mean... are there british forces with weapons and vehicles... YES or NO... come on.. i want a straight answer for once.. like challenger 2 and schimitar..

It's already known that we are likely to have Czech and UN forces in the game. That's not to say what else may be there as well.

I had hoped that Chernarus' content (which we paid full price, comparatively to Arrowhead announced at a medium ranged price) wouldn't become a closed parenthesis within ArmA 2's story. But it seems it is going to be the case...

Yeah I feel your pain. You know we were able to equip OFP content with the Resistance features such as Pistols when they were revolutionary at the time. I know FLIR probabaly requires an extra texture layer to be implemented but couldn't BI just copy and paste the OA's Infantry's FLIR signature(texture) and rebundle the A2's Infantry, I mean that take cares of the infantry, leaving only the vehicles and other objcects (still a hefty task)

How unpolite! :icon_slap:

How unpolite! :icon_slap:

well excuse me, but the majority of forces in an eastern world are brits.. and of course the americans, and as the brits are out fighting for an unworthy cause (get out forces out imo) , oh wait offtopic... lol, i would like to see british forces as an out-of-othe-box playable character and not have to download a re-skin from a talented community member and then not be able to play with the skin online because it doesnt have a serverkey and servers dont allow custom content... so yes, thats why id like to see british forces in arrowhead

Edited by BEEJ24
because i offend people :P

well excuse me, but the majority of forces in an eastern world are brits.. and of course the americans, and as us brits are out fighting for an unworthy cause (get out forces out imo) then we should be featured in a game, not have to download a re-skin from a talented community member and then not be able to play with the skin online because it doesnt have a serverkey and servers dont allow custom content... so yes, thats why id like to see british forces in arrowhead

uh... ok.. i almost get the impression that you think british forces are fighting so they can get the chance to be represented in a computer game, or at least you consider that more of a reason for british soliders to be there than the actual "unworthy" reasons.

by "us brits are out fighting" do you mean you yourself are personally in afghanistan? because, quite frankly, the few british soldiers I know couldnt give a rats ass whether someone can play armchair commando in their likeness or not.

Slightly more ontopic, I dont see why people are complaining that OA will have some features that wont be included in A2, i mean.... is anyone really going to NOT buy OA? as it stands I think even if you added the costs of them both together, and double it, it would still be good value for money.

While some are complaining about the features not being able to work with A2 without having OA, others like my self would like to see the OA features work with A2 content if you have purchased OA just like what Resistance did for OFP. Man I feel like I'm repeating my self over again... Sorry if I am.

How unpolite!

Well typical behaviour here nowadays. That's why I read until the WTF and then stopped and moved on.

If the brits are in OA then fine, if not then not. Nothing is decided yet.

MQ-9 Reaper

It's indeed a bit sad to know this but on the other hand it should be clear to anyone that making all vehicles and units FLIR compatible is an insane amount of work for which there is simply not enough time.

I'm very dissapointed also, I feel like I was deceived by BIS. When so many people worried whether ARMA2 content will work well in OA the BI devs ensured us that the units will work just fine and this was one of their main arguments when people said they would have rather waited for the expansion in the first place. The units will work in OA but why would you continue to use them if they are inferior in terms of features to their OA counterparts.

I'm wondering if they would have ever mentioned this issue if the community didn't start questioning in the first place...

The FLIR/lasers/flashlights from Operation Arrowhead, will they be included also in ArmA II or are they only available in Operation Arrowhead?

BIS: No, this would be a too serious change in the engine which could also break the content of ArmA II.

That clearly wasn't mentioned in the initial Q/A thread...

What are the reasons to release it as a standalone game instead of an ArmA II addon?

BIS: At least two reasons there are, which one of these is our wish to make it easier to get the game for players who didn't buy ArmA II previously and that some of the new features require to change both exe and data in order to work properly (e.g. thermal imaging).

So if the ARMA2 data has to be modified to work with the new features, does that mean that all ARMA2 addons won't work well in OA? I suppose so....

EDIT: I still want to thank BIS for informing us before the release. It would have been a huge dissapointment if we would have discovered this after the release.

Edited by BogdanM

Aren't you missinterpretating the answer? For me it just says "if you have the addon, you'll have FLIR"

I can't read anything about ArmA2 units not working with FLIR. He just says there won't be a patch for ArmA2 that makes FLIR working, you need to buy OA.

That clearly wasn't mentioned in the initial Q/A thread...

Now it is mentioned, together with this:

Please take note that this FAQ is subject to change as Operation Arrowhead develops further.
So if the ARMA2 data has to be modified to work with the new features, does that mean that all ARMA2 addons won't work well in OA? I suppose so...

That means that in worst case you can use the ArmA2 Vehicles but they have no proper FLIR working because they are not prepared for it.

If we like it or not, this is how it is. As said before, with a little bit of thinking this shouldn't be surprising after all. I for myself expected that.

You know the more I read the more I want to slap the whiners. They are NEVER HAPPY !

You know the more I read the more I want to slap the whiners. They are NEVER HAPPY !
yeah it makes you wonder if they are really fans/players with concerns or just Viral Marketers getting there daily posts in for Codemasters or EA....