Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

Yes, because ACE made buildings suddenly not transparent. Yes, they are that cool guys...

or not?

Uh huh, what ever you say mate. :rolleyes:

But everything would equally be heated up, so there still would be no change if the computer adjusts the brightness, which I guess it does IRL.

ahh well then you haven't learnt about different objects' thermal heat capacities :p

physics ftw! I knew it would come in handy someday :D

Don't post useless comments when you have no idea what you're talking about..

Just because two different objects are equally heated up doesn't mean they both have exactly the same temperature, for example take wood and metal as two objects, metal conducts electricity far more easily than wood so it would show a much bigger temperature change on the FLIR cam.

Why d'you think they make Saunas out of wood? (so heat doesn't escape) also I've never seen a wooden radiator, have you? (rhetorical question, don't answer it...)

Edited by SASrecon

What the .... - where you got info that FLIR can't be used in daylight?

FLIR can also be used during day light

hours. For example, a search for a

missing child or a fleeing suspect might

lead to a farm field. Depending on the

nature and density of the foliage, an

aviation unit equipped with FLIR might be

able to locate a child or suspect who might

otherwise be hidden from plain view, even

during daylight hours.

source - http://www.x20.org/thermal/FLIR.htm

I'm sorry, but saying that buildings are transparent to AI and ACE corrected it just makes me cringe. Don't you see the incredible exaggeration you're doing here?

A unit don't need to be shot at to detect another unit. There are undoubtfully flaws in the way AI is handled, but they certainly won't detect a unit behind a building out of nothing. They detect it because information has been given to them, or they deduce (too easily and precisely? perhaps, yes) from previous observation of unit position.

Glad to see the FAQ finally, but one thing isn´t clear for me yet (yeah, I might be a little slow today..):

UAV is now eqqipped with proper FLIR, with backward compatibility in case you have original ARMA 2 installed together with expansion (making UAV in missions 'Razor Two' and 'Harvest Red' really useful).

Thats mean who don´t buy AO won´t have proper FLIR. (Or am I wrong?)

But what will be added in A2 with the "compatibility patch"? If ppl with, and without AO play in the same server, and have acess to a UAV terminal, one will have FLIR and other don´t?

I'm sorry, but saying that buildings are transparent to AI and ACE corrected it just makes me cringe. Don't you see the incredible exaggeration you're doing here?

A unit don't need to be shot at to detect another unit. There are undoubtfully flaws in the way AI is handled, but they certainly won't detect a unit behind a building out of nothing. They detect it because information has been given to them, or they deduce (too easily? perhaps, yes) from previous observation of unit position.

Oh dear, i never said ace corrected anything... i said they act ABIT more realistic than they do without ace... it might not even be ace it could be slx? i don't know since i used both together.

i know the a.i in this game is quite decent, but it also has some very unreal moments such as the ones i have mentioned...

look, there have been many times when i have had the a,i order me to attack targets not in sight at all... but there have also been many times where the a,i has been great. its 50-50 in my experience!

i kind of think this went off topic a bit (my fault) since we are now spamming this thread with arma2 a,i chat. so lets leave it at that shall we? :cool:

FLIR can be used efficiently during the daylight. I've tested it myself on Otokar Cobra 7.62 remote MG mount just weeks ago during the sunny day. People aka targets are clearly visible in all conditions.

You are simplifying it too much, the AI has a lot more info sources than just "visual" identification. (The AI has no vision but let's call it that ;) )

Your AI team leader may be getting info from other friendly AI teams in the area, or helicopters. AI in ArmA2 share info all the time, but you can't see it.

Glad to see the FAQ finnaly, but one thing isn´t clear for me yet (yeah, I might be a little slow today..):

Thats mean who don´t buy AO won´t have proper FLIR. (Or am I wrong?)

But what will be added in A2 with the "compatibility patch"? If ppl with, and without AO play in the same server, and have acess to a UAV terminal, one will have FLIR and other don´t?

If you play on a server with OA addons, and you do not have OA, you will be kicked like any other player who doesn't have the correct addons hosted on the server.

If you play on a server with OA addons, and you do not have OA, you will be kicked like any other player who doesn't have the correct addons hosted on the server.

Yeah, but the RQ-9 UAV is in the original A2. So if you play in a A2 server using the RQ-9 with, and without OA, how it will work?

Just client-side changes, meaning somekind of advantage?

You are simplifying it too much, the AI has a lot more info sources than just "visual" identification. (The AI has no vision but let's call it that ;) )

Your AI team leader may be getting info from other friendly AI teams in the area, or helicopters. AI in ArmA2 share info all the time, but you can't see it.

i figured that at first... there have been times when other squad mates have been near the enemy and of course reported it i know this...

but, i set myself many small squad missions at night with snipers etc... and i have noticed that when the a,i is in control he gives orders that players just would not be able to.

to be honest, it don't even bother me that much... humans will always be better than any a.i on a game.. so maybe its their way of trying to get even ;)

The positive things in the ARMA series far outweigh the negative things in my opinion so i'm happy overall. :)

Yeah, but the RQ-9 UAV is in the original A2. So if you play in a A2 server using the RQ-9 with, and without OA, how it will work?

We'll just have to wait and see.

No, you wouldn't even be able to connect to the same server as them. I assume that OA would be like any of the other patches for A2 in terms of how you can connect.

Just because the content works across from A2 to OA doesn't mean everything else will.

No, you wouldn't even be able to connect to the same server as them. I assume that OA would be like any of the other patches for A2 in terms of how you can connect.

Just because the content works across from A2 to OA doesn't mean everything else will.

Well, that would suck(exit OA, exec A2..). Mainly because of I wrote on the DLC (or :yay:) topic, but also applies here:

And how minor communities, like here in Brazil where the game even has not been released and its pretty hard to get the game, will manage the :yay:. I mean, I as a huge fan of ArmA I would buy it, but if the others don´t, what I would do? =\

Whats up with the black/white filter when using sniper scopes? 2:18 in the video.

ahh well then you haven't learnt about different objects' thermal heat capacities :p

physics ftw! I knew it would come in handy someday :D

Don't post useless comments when you have no idea what you're talking about..

Just because two different objects are equally heated up doesn't mean they both have exactly the same temperature, for example take wood and metal as two objects, metal conducts electricity far more easily than wood so it would show a much bigger temperature change on the FLIR cam.

Why d'you think they make Saunas out of wood? (so heat doesn't escape) also I've never seen a wooden radiator, have you? (rhetorical question, don't answer it...)

Cool your jet's bro, I'm 13 years old and have only had physics (mostly electricity) for a year now. :p

I know different materials heat up differently, but in third world countries (Takistan) I assume that buildings are made from somewhat-local resources, and they'd have atleast somewhat of a similarity with the dirt that lays all over the map.

Of course there's also metal on the vehicles, but there won't be much difference anyway.

Plus, there's already a kind of different-material-different-heating system in OA, seeing as you can glimpse the surroundings (terrain) and edges, while still all being dirt.

Well, that would suck(exit OA, exec A2..). Mainly because of I wrote on the DLC (or :yay:) topic, but also applies here:

You wouldn't buy the DLC, simply.

Whats up with the black/white filter when using sniper scopes? 2:18 in the video.

That's FLIR, have you never heard of Thermal Weapon Sights? :D

Actually, looks like that's an effect added by the Machinima team to display how FLIR works. Kind of crude, but I guess they didn't have good enough TWS footage.

Edited by Hamm

You wouldn't buy the DLC, simply.

That's FLIR, have you never heard of Thermal Weapon Sights? :D

Actually, looks like that's an effect added by the Machinima team to display how FLIR works. Kind of crude, but I guess they didn't have good enough TWS footage.

If you listen to what he says he says something about Black and White but it doesn't seem to imply FLIR to me. At least he didn't say FLIR at that point.

I don´t know if this gun has even a FLIR Scope, I think not...

looks more like a sort of DTV sight than FLIR.

I was afraid that this was some sort of gamey gimmick for that occurs when holding breath in sniping or similar.

I was afraid that this was some sort of gamey gimmick for that occurs when holding breath in sniping or similar.

The video that shot is taken from is the Training Course one, and you can see clearly it doesn't have anything of the kind. It's definitely done by the person who compiled the video from machinima.com, certainly not hard for them to apply a filter ;)

And @Jakerod; it's possible he doesn't know what FLIR is and assumed it's just B&W filters. Or he just refers to it that way.

Gotta love how he pronounces Jan's name. :D

I've got to give Machinima credit though, this is surely a huge PR boost for BIS. I've been watching Machinima for over a year now and nothing has come on there about BIS, despite it's huge popularity. Until now... :p

* Will there be single use weapons that aren't using space for regular magazines?

No change.

:icon_w00t:

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=1&cat=articles&class=articles&id=44

"Will the AI use buiding interiors? Take cover in the buildings and search for enemies?

AI_q1_thumb.jpg

The many buildings of Zargabad

The AI itself is not able to do it; however, with smart scenario design it is possible to have AI also in buildings, or move through buildings. The AI will follow orders, entering buildings on command, or following you into buildings as part of your group."

FUCK. There went the last part of OA that actually might improve the gameplay.

Edited by Walts