Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ARMA II Patch 1.03 & Dedicated Server Released .

Explaination from DEV's.

Unfortunately Steam is yet not able to patch your addons using data differences. Steam must copy whole new addon over.

That's why your download is 4gb. Not Steam's fault, it's something BIS is going to have to fix on their end before the next patch roles around.

I have patience to wait, even though I'm d/ling at 205kbps. I've d/led 38gb sound libraries at lesser speeds.

My Steam update is at 56% atm. So mine at least is an update file. Doh. 57% now.

Thanks for the explaination Steakslim. Just hope they are able fix it.

Wow.. I'm such a noob. I was thinking "sweet, it's downloading at 900K/Bs" I didn't think about the fact that it's been downloading for an hour and calculate that maybe it's over 140mb. Good thing I spent all that time learning network engineering.

That's why your download is 4gb. Not Steam's fault, it's something BIS is going to have to fix on their end before the next patch roles around.

Hmm, you don't make sense though. If the devs say that Steam cannot patch using data differences, which means it needs to pull the entire files again, how is that not Steam fault? Unless something was lost in translation, that quote sounds like Steam needs to do something differently, not BIS.

I dont usually like to make flame posts, but it is somewhat ridiculous that anyone would find it logical to release a patch without the necessary server files.

Would it be advisable with all the tons of fixes to the Red Harvest campaign to just restart it, I'm on Dogs of War?

This does not make sense Steam has the capability for server side integrity checks and the patch is 130mb retail. So why the heck does the dld have to 4gb. the 130mb retail changes data and file sizes/dates so why can't the steam server side just check with the table to ensure integrity of files and correct if a post patch user needs fixing. It would be a much smaller dld, come on 4gb is ludicrous for a non feature laden patch/non DLC free content.

If anyone is worried about being capped, and has an unmetered policy with their ISP, you can try a program like Steamwatch

It will block IP addresses which are not considered unmetered. How you will find those IP addresses, I'm sorry but I don't know, your ISP might tell you.

If that's not an option, try going to File> Settings> Downloads and set a download region, you may be able to select your ISP in there. It doesn't always work, for example, like kozzy said, I downloaded ETW when it first came out and then the patch, and went through my download quota very quickly.

This is a bad situation, like Akuras said, I'm waiting hours for it to download and can't play it. Was hoping for a really long session before I have to go to work :(

Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

Hmm, you don't make sense though. If the devs say that Steam cannot patch using data differences, which means it needs to pull the entire files again, how is that not Steam fault? Unless something was lost in translation, that quote sounds like Steam needs to do something differently, not BIS.

I imagine it's because it's something that should of been taken care of on BIS's end when preparing the patch for Steam. This is the only time I've had this occure in a game through steam where a large portion of file content had to be downloaded again along side the patch because of said reasons, though some other users mentioned that the last two releases on steam for the Total War games (M2 and Empire) did the same or similar at one point (granted patches for TW games are huge as it is). I have 28 games on Steam, 10 of them are non-Valve, and only 1 of them (ArmA2) has had this occurance when implementing a patch. I don't think Steam is purposely making this difficult.

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

This does not make sense Steam has the capability for server side integrity checks and the patch is 130mb retail. So why the heck does the dld have to 4gb. the 130mb retail changes data and file sizes/dates so why can't the steam server side just check with the table to ensure integrity of files and correct if a post patch user needs fixing. It would be a much smaller dld, come on 4gb is ludicrous for a non feature laden patch/non DLC free content.

I agree with this, I wish there was more of an explaination than "it has to d/l 4gb of content again because..."

I'm downloading right now, and it doesn't seem like 4 gb... it seems like way more... i'm currently at 5%, and the Steam bandwidth monitor is saying ive downloaded 450MB so far... if 450 is only 5% of the total... 450*20 = 9000!!! 9GB of download!!

I hope either the bandwidth monitor is wrong, or some steam programmer doesn't know how to calculate percentages... but it does look like 9GB here...

well, ETA is 3 and a half hours... sigh...

Cheers

From what I can tell only the core game files are being changed. None of my addon mod folders are being touched, so you should be in the clear.

-Frost;1394035']I dont usually like to make flame posts' date=' but it is somewhat ridiculous that anyone would find it logical to release a patch without the necessary server files.[/quote']

And I do believe that he said there was a reason. Have you figured it out yet?

Glad I waited to purchase the game until this patch then...I'll be buying it within a week or so now :-D

Thank you for the effort you put into this patch BIS, its appreciated. Please continue to work on the game and fix/add features

Wondering same thing, Im not patching until someone confirms. Also, can someone explain what the "numerous" fixes to SP campaign are?

The game stores it's files in a series of compressed file (kind of like a .rar/zip).

There's a file for structures, a file for animals, a file for animations, ect. There are several benefits to this method

-Easier for editors to use. A single file will have all the data about buildings - rather than dozens of files.

-Easier on windows. Less files == faster performance in Windows

-Easier to stream ingame. Game doesn't have to look through a dozen files just to find the object it needs

However, there are also negatives with this..

-Harder to make patches. Not only that, but patches install much slower

-Requires special tools to edit the game

And so on.

Nah, just revert to the start of the mission you are currently on.

Although it could be fun to start from scratch just to see the changes.

Speaking of windex, anyone with 1.03 can comment on the supposedly improved hud visability? I'm assuming they ment the drop down hud for heli's as well.

The only thing I am complaining about is not having a .exe file for the dedicated servers. That should have been released with the 1.03 patch, That goes with out saying; So yes you can understand why everyone is complaining that they cant host from their dedicated server that they pay for. It irritates me and I dont even pay for a server lol.

^This

-Frost;1394035']I dont usually like to make flame posts' date=' but it is somewhat ridiculous that anyone would find it logical to release a patch without the necessary server files.[/quote']

^This

Incompetence had nothing to do with it.

I'll leave it as an exercise for you to think why the server.exe is not ready yet, it shouldn't take too long to think it out.

Planck

"Official" comment...??????

"exercise" for us to figure out?!?!?!?

That's the best we get? A criptic message?

W T F ????

So would Planck or one of his handlers PLEASE enlighten us "moron" customers while our server bills add up?

And I do believe that he said there was a reason. Have you figured it out yet?

Please do tell. Is it safe to patch? Should I ask my hosting service to cancel the dedicated until BIS sorts it out?

I mean, I'm seriously asking. Several people here have said that the dedicated servers (that we are paying for) are shit-out-of-luck.

And the only BIS response I've seen in the thread is that it's an "exercise" for us to sort out?

I'll be sure to pass that along next time the bill comes for my dedicated server.....

Tip: don't load anything else on Steam while it's downloading, the fucking thing just reset.

the -server command works, but the dvd has to be because of securom...

if i had an arma 2 dvd and could reach the dvd drive at the data center ~500 miles away i'd have my server up....

been trying to host a small 12 man server on my 3mbit upload home connection but it doesn't compare to a 50mbit line... and even setting the config files to use just 2mbit it spikes and tries to hold 3mbits and lags out, even with the bandwidth settings tuned wayyyyyy down. i can hose 20 in arma1 with even higher settings.

BIS f'd this one up.

Edited by frag85