Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ARMA II Patch 1.03 & Dedicated Server Released .

It's not BIS, It's Steam who screwd up. BIS provided the new files to Steam, and it's up to Steam to make the difference for the auto-update.

Hi, this is on steam side, we send them fixed files and except that they will generate diff file for download. We cant do more than write them that something is wrong with size, what we did. Cant do more, hope they will fix that.

BI have already stated they have sent the fixed files to STEAM, at least that side is getting sorted, they just have to wait on STEAM.

This was a great surprise for me to find out today, that arma2server.exe didn't update after patching and there is no separate server exe like usual. I've already patched my server and it is not 1.03. Using arma.exe with -server switch requires you to have DVD, so it's not possible.

That's a big disappointment. Such things (unavailability of server side patch) should be stated clearly foremost.

Can confirm too mods do not appear to be affected, or game settings.

Idd. The Patch is 132MB. Whats ok.

BIS does a lot of insane things. But the 4GB Patch is not among them (this time) ;)

Would you bother including the getPosATL and setPosATL in the Commwiki? I would like to know how they work :)

How about showing a little gratitude for this patch and stop being so damn negative. So we have to wait a little longer for the patch to download. Buhu, sorry us.. It's steam fault so if anyone feel the need to complain, do it on steam forums. This game is still fresh and I'm sure BIS are doing all in their effort to make things work, it just takes a little time that's all, have a little patience.

Thank you BIS for the hard work, keep it up.

This was a great surprise for me to find out today, that arma2server.exe didn't update after patching and there is no separate server exe like usual. I've already patched my server and it is not 1.03. Using arma.exe with -server switch requires you to have DVD, so it's not possible.

That's a big disappointment. Such things (unavailability of server side patch) should be stated clearly foremost.

I agree, if they had mentioned this none of my clan would have updated. now we cant roll back to the earlier patch and we cant update our dedicated server.

What is BI idea, to try and alienate their entire fan base patch by infuriating patch?

Edited by nzjono

How about showing a little gratitude for this patch and stop being so damn negative. So we have to wait a little longer for the patch to download. Buhu, sorry us.. It's steam fault so if anyone feel the need to complain, do it on steam forums. This game is still fresh and I'm sure BIS are doing all in their effort to make things work, it just takes a little time that's all, have a little patience.

The issue isn't the download time - it's that in many countries net access is capped, and users either have to pay huge rates (like a couple of dollars per MB over the cap), or are throttled back to dialup speed over the cap.

In Australia, most users are on >10GB monthly plans. So this is half the quota. And yes, as a particularly attitudey person pointed out on the previous page, larger caps are available, but not in all areas...

See the problem?

But yes, regardless, thanks BI for this and the ongoing work on the game we love.

Of course one should appreciate the patch and that BIS is working hard on getting everyone happy with the game. But some of us needs to jump through many hoops to try and get the patch in the first place. As long as the complaints are constructive then there should be no reason why one shouldn't be allowed to complain.

As Placebo said, there might still be light at the end of the tunnel if the guys at Steam catch a wake up. However, one have to also keep in mind though that it is not up to Steam to support all sorts of propriety file formats in order to support the auto patching of games.

My point is, ArmA II's data files are essentially the same, whether it be Steam or Retail version. One should be able to download a "steam" version of the patch which does exactly what the retail version of the patch does, with the exception of updating the exe's and copy protection libraries. Afterwords, you can simply do a sync with Steam and it will only synchronize the files that still needs to be patched.

I hope it makes sense but in a way I'm just trying to determine whether at some point in the not too distance future there will be another way of patching ArmA without having to perform such major downloads. Or if I've got it all wrong and it is indeed a problem on Steam and the download size can be drastically reduced, well then I'm perfectly happy to wait a bit until it gets sorted.

Sorry for my rambling...

Hi everyone, the dedicated server exe will be relased later today hopefully. Please, be patient and stay tuned.

And, at last: please, don't blame us for the steam update. As it was mentioned on several places and threads it's a Steam issue. Instead of downloading just the difference data to be replaced inside of your pbo's (normal D/L update does this exactly), Steam users must download the whole pbo's and files affected be the update, which is about 4.3gigs in total.

By the way, we have the response from Steam, that they plan to implement more sophisticated method of updating games to avoid such situations.

fantastic, maybe i can finish badlands now.

Instead of downloading just the difference data to be replaced inside of your pbo's (normal D/L update does this exactly), Steam users must download the whole pbo's and files affected be the update, which is about 4.3gigs in total.

This is not so different for people having a hosted dedicated server that needs to patch the PBOs locally and send gigs via FTP.

This is not so different for people having a hosted dedicated server that needs to patch the PBOs locally and send gigs via FTP.

Not if u purchased the game itself for your dedi, then u can update as normal..

Do you have a changelog for the dedicated server or will it come with the file itself? :)

The mentioned Direct X 9 update (march 09) can be downloaded and ran local here (if your prefer that way of doing things):

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/DirectX-9.0c-Redistributable-Download-3545.html

Instead of downloading just the difference data to be replaced inside of your pbo's (normal D/L update does this exactly) Steam users must download the whole pbo's and files affected be the update, which is about 4.3gigs in total.

OUCH, man that's a shoddy way of working in this day and age, damn.

Edited by mrcash2009

Hi everyone, the dedicated server exe will be relased later today hopefully. Please, be patient and stay tuned.

And, at last: please, don't blame us for the steam update. As it was mentioned on several places and threads it's a Steam issue. Instead of downloading just the difference data to be replaced inside of your pbo's (normal D/L update does this exactly), Steam users must download the whole pbo's and files affected be the update, which is about 4.3gigs in total.

By the way, we have the response from Steam, that they plan to implement more sophisticated method of updating games to avoid such situations.

Thanks mate - i'm sure you guys are hearing loud and clear what the community thinks of the whole process. It's good to hear something from an official source.

These things do happen - true - but it shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone 'on the inside'.

Hopefully it is sorted for next time like you suggested.

Thanks for responding though :)

I just need to wait for another 14 hours for the update to finish - hopefully that will coincide with a server patch...

;1394395']I'm an Australian user too' date=' and I have a 100gb limit on an ADSL2 connection.

It's your own fault you have shitty internet.

You should do some research, and educate yourself before signing a contract with a horrible ISP

/Rant over.[/quote']STFU and educate yourself before insulting people. I live mere kilometers away from the CBD in our largest city and can't get DSL or Cable... but according to you it's my fault that the infrastructure doesn't exist?

I got an error message with my retail version :

Error detected in the file ADDONS\air.pbo (00000000!=00000001)

Tried to download twice on differents servers.

Legit version, no mess in addons folder, wtf ?

Similar error with me - the upgrade completes but with an error in the air.pbo.bi.sign file I now can't start the game at all. Guess it's a reinstall ?

cjph

Because it's not available in any store where we live!

there is plenty of places to buy it online $51.50 Australian dollars had it to my door 7 days that was 3 weeks ago

In Australia, most users are on >10GB monthly plans. So this is half the quota. And yes, as a particularly attitudey person pointed out on the previous page, larger caps are available, but not in all areas...

See the problem?

Yes, I wasn't speaking to quota users in particular. Anyway, glad it's sorted out.

STFU and educate yourself before insulting people. I live mere kilometers away from the CBD in our largest city and can't get DSL or Cable... but according to you it's my fault that the infrastructure doesn't exist?

Was I speaking to you? Fool...

Go away and play with your toys.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1394264#post1394264

As someone who's had internet access since 97 in various forms, from 33.6 dialup through to my fortunate situation of 50/10 unlimited I do appreciate your pain, but if Steam do not handle the situation in a bandwidth friendly manner what is it exactly you think we can do? Please read Ohara's post.

BIS could have helped to avoid this situation massively. Obviously steam was given, or a file was made available to them that was a complete 1.03 build.

Why where they not just sent the 138mb patch file?

Sorry BIS you cannot just wash your hands and shift the blame to steam. What is sickening is that there is not one way to get a refund for the dodgy product that is being "peddled" here.

I would like to see if the military version (VBS 2) is as bug riddled as the standard version. I have friends who cannot even play the game due to the crashes caused when they play. And the easy come back for everyone is they have a substandard rig blah blah, well they don't. The inconsistency with which this game plays across difference PC's just amazes me.

I love playing the game and enjoy it immensely however for people to come back and say " mine works fine who cares" or "you should have bought it at the shop then" or "who cares if you have limited bandwidth" is showing a lack of respect and total understanding and just displays the total selfish nature of the individuals making these statements.

Regardless of how much bandwidth someone has downloading over 4gig to patch a game when the actual patch is only 138mb is just ridiculous and there should be more than just a "message" sent to steam to sort the problem. BIS cannot go on relying on its faithful consumers forever, they will NOT continue to take substandard products because a developer feels they can release a broken product and rely on the internet to drag them out of the hole they created.

I do understand that BIS is making an effort to try and sort its product out but the instability of this release (ARMA 2) just goes to shows how BIS is taking advantage of its community.

I know that I will get flamed badly for my statements but I have no doubt that my thoughts reflect what a lot of people are thinking. I do understand the intricacies of game development and whilst not an expert I am qualified to some degree to understand who goes into making these sorts of games.

I can only hope that those of you who read this try to understand the problems some people are facing and don't mistake this as a mindless rant.

Cheers

Gecko_Hunter

BIS are such a joke, can't release a fully working game on release day and then can't even get the patches right.

such a bunch of amateurs !