Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ARMA II Patch 1.03 & Dedicated Server Released .

There are a thousand topics about the 1.3 patch you don't need to post a new one :/

Just happened to me too :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I was 30 something percent along, when my crummy internet went out for a while... Steam just reset the download... now I'm at 2% again...

oh, just to clarify... there's no such thing as a 9GB patch... it's just that during the first gig, the percentage seems to be off... when you reach about mid-download, the percentage looks right again... go figure...

well, here I go again... 4% and counting... :icon_ohmygod:

Cheers

I'm almost positive it's not resetting, just resetting the counter. I've had this happen many times in the past with other games.

Well as a steam user I dont think it issue really has anything to do with steam. It is what it is and it does what it does. The anger comes from the unhelpful answer we got.

I'm almost positive it's not resetting, just resetting the counter. I've had this happen many times in the past with other games.

That would be nice if it's true :D I was at 55% when stopped, now at 30%, hopefully will be done soon then

I guess i'll post my bug in here.

I was playing the campaign mission where:

You have the option to take over as commander of the NAPA/CDF alliance or choose not to. Chernogorsk is your main objective so that the USMC can come back.

My Problem: I die/get injured in odd ways.

Example #1: I got shot quite possibly in the head and managed to run back to my medic. As I dove to the ground I died.

Example #2: I was walking around and all of a sudden (no enemies around) I fell to the ground and couldn't walk.

Example #3: I got hit by a ZSU truck in Chernagorsk after I took it. I got hit by it flung back a few meters and went to try to heal at my medic where I died but the game didn't red out for at least 15 seconds probably more.

Example #4: I got hit by the ZSU truck again, thrown 150m into the air, hit the entire way up and down by the ZSU and infantry around me and then landed without dying. I am assuming the same thing that happened in example #4 would've happened so I just reloaded it.

2 other picky things of mine: When opening up warfare dialog boxes it takes about 30 seconds for it to realize I hit buy weapons/units etc. then it takes 30sec-2 min to load the money I have and then another 2min or so to load up whatever things I want to buy and it doesn't even load them right half the time. Then when I try to select them it takes another 2 min just for me to grab an RPG and then another 2 min per each round of ammo.

The leafy trees lag my machine a lot and same with smoke. I do admit my computer is not optimum but I am playing on the lowest possible settings.

OMG... my monthly download limit is 4GB.

ARMAII Steam version already used up two whole months of downloads for me, now it's going to use up a 3rd month?

Why do I have to love this game so much :P

What is appalling is the bullshit I've read in this thread. I've never seen such behavior from administrators. BIS has provided us with a free dedicated server package for so long that you people forget that it is gratis and have the audacity to come here and vomit on their shoes? Repulsive. I'm amazed at the forbearance that has been shown by the mods.

They gave you a work around, one that works, until the FREE software is ready for release. Keep your panties on ladies, use -server for a few hours.

This shit isnt free. We paid for the game. This isn't goddamn 1995 anymore. This stuff is 100% expected to be done and they dropped the ball. It's that simple. We are willing to settle for OBSOLETE technology that the dedicated file is even as it was. The thing doesn't even support multihome, a standard in the industry of hosting.

With the release of this patch today, they essentially killed the online portion of there game without even the slightest bit of warning upfront nor foresight to see this coming.

This workaround they list doesn't work for a steam build or other builds which require the DVD. I don't have access to a data center. What they listed isn't even a solution for 90% of server administrators.

The sooner they bring us up to speed and admit what they did screwed over customers. They are taking a MASSIVE PR hit.

In a real world business environment if you did something like this, your job would be gone, and I truly hope whoever was in charge of this deployment is now on unemployment, and BI can begin to cleanup this mess they left.

The weather makes people do strange things sometimes. No lag in Chernagorsk? What are your specs Mr.Wiz?

um. Just a quick note, downloading from steam the updates is no different to any other way you get patches. If you have Steam installed it will update, easy as. Ive never had a problem using steam updating my games. I almost thank steam for getting updates for me easy. What are you guys moaning about?

You dont like Steam doing things easy for you? are you crazy?

That would be nice if it's true :D I was at 55% when stopped, now at 30%, hopefully will be done soon then

You'll know if by chance you reach some odd % and it decides that the update is finished. I've had it happen once, which confused the ever living hell out of me. Just run an integrity check to make sure Steam didn't miss anything before you run it.

2 other picky things of mine: When opening up warfare dialog boxes it takes about 30 seconds for it to realize I hit buy weapons/units etc. then it takes 30sec-2 min to load the money I have and then another 2min or so to load up whatever things I want to buy and it doesn't even load them right half the time. Then when I try to select them it takes another 2 min just for me to grab an RPG and then another 2 min per each round of ammo.

This is the same thing as taking 15 secs for the death animation to appear. Everything menu-related gets slow after playing for a while, probably a memory leak.

I raised a bug report with 1.02 but haven't had chance to test with 1.03 yet. Have you? Have you restarted the mission under 1.03?

You have the option to take over as commander of the NAPA/CDF alliance or choose not to. Chernogorsk is your main objective so that the USMC can come back.

Example #1: I got shot quite possibly in the head and managed to run back to my medic. As I dove to the ground I died.

Example #2: I was walking around and all of a sudden (no enemies around) I fell to the ground and couldn't walk.

These issues are not bugs Jakerod, they are design decisions that dont allow you to just do missions anyway you like. If you go into an area in single player campaign where you are not supposed to or go down a path that your not supposed to or go a different way your not supposed to (By the way , i dont like this way of doing it , however this is how its been done), you will get shot by invisable snipers or AT guys. Its the way the game has been designed so you cant go whereever you want and its supposed to put up a n invisable barrier if your not focusing on the mission at hand, this is NOT a go wherever you want sandbox game that you think it is its WAY more lilinear than that in SOME missions. BUT you CAN design a mission, campaign yourself without any restrictions if you like, its not a bug. Dont confuse this as a bug.

Edited by Placebo

um. Just a quick note, downloading from steam the updates is no different to any other way you get patches. If you have Steam installed it will update, easy as. Ive never had a problem using steam updating my games. I almost thank steam for getting updates for me easy. What are you guys moaning about?

You dont like Steam doing things easy for you? are you crazy?

They are complaining because the update for Arma via Steam is the full game and not the 130mb patch everyone else had to download. The gripe is that downloading 4gb of data takes too long.

Every other game patch through steam has been just a small patch so no one complains then, but this is different. I'm not complaining mind you, but then I don't seem to be suffering from the same sort of ArmA addiction that some of the angry posters around here do. Mine got to 60% then restarted, but I did't care because I had other things to do :)

These issues are not bugs Jakerod, they are design decisions that dont allow you to just do missions anyway you like. If you go into an area in single player campaign where you are not supposed to or go down a path that your not supposed to or go a different way your not supposed to (By the way , i dont like this way of doing it , however this is how its been done), you will get shot by invisable snipers or AT guys. Its the way the game has been designed so you cant go whereever you want and its supposed to put up a n invisable barrier if your not focusing on the mission at hand, this is NOT a go wherever you want sandbox game that you think it is its WAY more lilinear than that in SOME missions. BUT you CAN design a mission, campaign yourself without any restrictions if you like, its not a bug. Dont confuse this as a bug.

So despite the fact that I was in Chernogorsk? I was not supposed to be in Chernogrosk? right next to a bunker I was supposed to take over? Nor was I supposed to be in the town that I was supposed to be taking over?

EDIT: Reading over that it sounds kind of hostile and I assure you it is not supposed to be.

EDIT #2: I have yet to be shot by an invisible sniper in this game or AT guy, at least to my knowledge.

---------- Post added at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

This is the same thing as taking 15 secs for the death animation to appear. Everything menu-related gets slow after playing for a while, probably a memory leak.

I raised a bug report with 1.02 but haven't had chance to test with 1.03 yet. Have you? Have you restarted the mission under 1.03?

Yeah I couldn't even really start this mission before 1.03 because a trigger was always skipped. The warfare thing has always been that way for me. Even when I first start the game and start a level it doesn't work properly. As I said though, I have a crappy computer so that could be the cause.

Edited by Placebo

This is a fucking joke. I am downloading the 9GB patch at 20kb/s.

I never got given a choice if I wanted to download it or not. It just started when I logged into steam.

Oh well. See you guys online this time next week or so.

PS. Fuck you Steam.

Edit : Oh!! check this out. Max speed. Slow speed is due to my ISP plan. I am traffic controlled.

[iM]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/Driftit/Joke.jpg[/img]

Try switching your region for download in steam. I did that adn went from 50k to 550k.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

This guy is correct. It might say 0% now, but its 0% of whats left to download. In the past it went back to 0% for me but i checked the folder size and it defiantly wasnt at 0%, it was near my 55% from before and was updating twice as fast after that, because there was already 55% of the total download done.

If it says 0% dont worry, its not reset and deleted you previous download, its just 0% of what it left from before.

Hopef everyone gets to play ARMA2 soon!

Edited by Placebo

Well I'm at 45% now so if the download did resume then in theory it would be at 100% now. Either way nothing much I can do. But at least it will be done when I get home from work tonight :) :)

This is really REALLY REALLY bad!

In countries like Australia, we are limited by low data caps - and Steam AUTO-patches by default, this has forced many of your customers to download this 9gb "patch" / game all over again.. without their consent!

Because of this, BI just cost it's customers up to $20-30 AUD worth of broadband cap - gone.

Now many people would of blown their cap, and are now shaped to slow speeds for the rest of the month (like me!!!) and the "patch" isn't even finished yet here... not to mention any poor people who get over-charged per megabyte over their cap..

How can a 130mb retail patch, turn in to a 9gb steam patch!

No other game has this problem on steam..

What is B.I going to do about this fiasco!?? :mad:

The arma2.exe -server work around is causing a performance hit, though servers are filling up fast. Having steam opened in offline mode is no good either. Pleading for any form of arma2_server.exe :) .

Edited by Jest

people who get over-charged per megabyte over their cap..

Yeouch.

How can a 130mb retail patch, turn in to a 9gb steam patch!

The download patch edits files. Steam however replaces them.

Most games have their files spread out - multiple files for textures/models. Or they keep the actual texture/models in a single file, and their information (health, physics, ect) in another.

The problem arma2 has is they have a file for very generalized things - buildings (contains model/texture/physics/information), animations, ect.

Let's say a building has 400hp. BIS decides to up it to 500.

For a downloadable patch, the patch goes into the file and makes this change.

Steam however must replace the file - all 1 gig of it for a simple integer change.

Open steam with a valid account loaded on the server, then start Arma2 from steam if its the first time. When it's done, close the "launch normal or window mode" box and go into offline mode with steam. Make a shortcut inside the arma2 steamapps folder with your -server config and launch that, leaving steam open in offline mode. Launching it from a panel folder or any other folder that steam does not use will cause an application error.

Edited by Jest

Would one of the Devs please be able to confirm yes or no:

Will there a 138mb patch available for download to steam users?

If not does this mean the only alternative will be to download the entire game through steam everytime a patch has been released?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Gecko_Hunter

I'll also confirm that if you pause your update, or reset your computer in the middle of an update, Steam doesn't reset your patch. When you continue patching, it continues from where it left off. The % you see is just what is LEFT of what you have to download.

I made the mistake of pausing the update myself, and brought up the game thinking the update had resumed. I came back to realise that I had to start it again myself. XD I lost out on an hour and 1/2 on the update out of the about 8 total it took (6.5 of which was actual download)

Yep, I just jumped into DoW, and it was fixed. I restarted however, because I was wanting a slightly better outcome for when I get in there.

The download patch edits files. Steam however replaces them.

Well that sucks the fat one. :mad:

Surely they could give Steam users the option to manually update their files from a downloaded patch or run some sort of batch file on download to update?

:dontgetit: Good work BI. Once again you've managed to ostrasize a good chunk of the game playing community.