Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ARMA II Patch 1.03 & Dedicated Server Released .

Would like to say thanks to BIS for getting the patch on Steam so quickly. Big thumbs up there.

we do our best and Valve too !:cool:

---------- Post added at 23:36 ---------- Previous post was at 23:34 ----------

Thirdup: No, I mean the patch itself. I finished downloading it in about 10 minutes, then extracted from the .zip and ran the .exe. It extracts the files, then goes "Oops, sorry, you've got the Steam version. I won't even try updating."

Complete patch failure.

i don't want to be rude BUT what part of

WARNING: DO NOT USE FOR STEAM DOWNLOAD VERSION!

You dont understand ?

http://www.arma2.com/support/updates/folder.html?lang=en

i mean it's in BOLD with red and with warning sign!

My main problem is that I can download the patch in 10 minutes from ArmA2.com, but stupid Steam has taken TWO HOURS, failed twice and is still only 47% done!?

i were rather dissapointed to see that this didnt help the graphics bug and it actualy lowerd my FPS.. i cant remember ever seeing houses entierly without windows or any kinds of doors, nor have i ever seen any boxshaped trees... kind of dissapointed by that, would have hoped that this patch were gonna fix it. well ill probably let the game lay around and wait for a new patch that fixes the problems :(

When I run arma2.exe -server

It makes me log into steam, not very practical for dedicated servers.

Anyone know a work around or having this problem?

My main problem is that I can download the patch in 10 minutes from ArmA2.com, but stupid Steam has taken TWO HOURS, failed twice and is still only 47% done!?

and this is why you dont buy from steam when it comes to games like this... how many other people do you think are doing the same thing as you? just a thought, the next time you go to buy a hyped up game like this, thats not created by valve; dont do it.

works fine for me see below ...

=====================================================================
== f:\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\arma2.exe
== "f:\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\arma2.exe"   -server  
Exe timestamp: 2009/08/05 21:21:19
Current time:  2009/08/05 23:28:59

Distribution: 1466
Exe version: 1.03.58627
   player __SERVER__, state CREATED -> CONNECTED

all i done was started arma2.exe -server in arma2 directory :)

Didn't work for my dedi. First a dll was missing so I found that, now it insists on have the DVD in the drive and then bombs out with "bad serial given in setup". The dedi installation is copied across from my gaming machine.

Because it's not available in any store where we live!

not my problem!

http://arma2.nexway.com/index2.html?REF=671796&Cur=978 is where i bought mine, and i have not had any problems. I was going to wait and download from steam but all in all I'm glad i didnt, it would have taken longer & i would be having the problems that you lot are having now :)

and this is why you dont buy from steam when it comes to games like this... how many other people do you think are doing the same thing as you? just a thought, the next time you go to buy a hyped up game like this, thats not created by valve; dont do it.

Considering the retail version of Arma II didnt hit shelves until a few weeks after steam released...I'm glad I bought it on steam. Also, the patch worked the 1st time for me, tho it did take a few hours.:o

nice! I'm glad its working for you, I just wish people would be more pantient when it comes to something like steam; it takes longer.

You knew your game was going to auto update for all the steam users, and didn't synchronize release of the dedicated server exe with the patch. Now everyone with steam will not be able to join the normal servers they regularly play on because us server admins cannot update our servers.

Running the client with -server switch on a server machine is NOT a solution. The normal arma executable has copy protection, do you think everyone is going to go pop a dvd in their co-located boxes? This is the prime reason for having the dedicated exe, lack of protection/3d rendering, there is no actual performance difference.

Also, it may not be able to start if I recall, since it used to try to look for a d3d device, which will not be available on a server via remote desktop. (I can't remember if this is the case, and can't check since it isn't going to launch without the dvd or steam)

Again, arma.exe -server IS NOT AN OPTION FOR DEDICATED SERVER ADMINS. Please fix this! Someone did not think this through enough!

works fine for me see below ...

== f:\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\arma2.exe
== "f:\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\arma2.exe"   -server  
Exe timestamp: 2009/08/05 21:21:19
Current time:  2009/08/05 23:28:59

Distribution: 1466
Exe version: 1.03.58627
   player __SERVER__, state CREATED -> CONNECTED

all i done was started arma2.exe -server in arma2 directory :)

This only works if you do NOT have the steam copy. If you have steam it will make you login to steam before it launches. Which is completely useless as it:

A) Cannot be launched as a service

B) Cannot launch multiple servers

And the deal breaker:

C) I would no longer be able to play the game because the servers on my steam account

So please release us a dedicated server .exe, and if possible support multi home ip's.

Edited by Mikobiko

You knew your game was going to auto update for all the steam users, and didn't synchronize release of the dedicated server exe with the patch. Now everyone with steam will not be able to join the normal servers they regularly play on because us server admins cannot update our servers.

Yah, kinda shitty. :mad:

yeah, i have to agree, even tho I'm not a steam user(for ARMA 2) that is something that wasnt very well thought out...hopefully it gets sorted out soon.

Looks good. Thanks for all your hardwork, BI!

http://arma2.nexway.com/index2.html?REF=671796&Cur=978 is where i bought mine, and i have not had any problems. I was going to wait and download from steam but all in all I'm glad i didnt, it would have taken longer & i would be having the problems that you lot are having now :)

Ditto.

I got the English version from Nexway probably 5-6 days before ARMA2 was released on Steam. The only downside to Nexway is that you are limited to only 3 downloads. After that you have to buy a new license. Still worth it though IMO.

Edited by PhelanKA7

I got my dedicated server running by the -server parameter and putting the cd in at upstart.

But it def. uses only 1 core and its used 100% and more so server way too laggy running it this way. Gonna shut server down and wait for the dedicated exe.

This only works if you do NOT have the steam copy. If you have steam it will make you login to steam before it launches. Which is completely useless as it:

A) Cannot be launched as a service

B) Cannot launch multiple servers

C) I would no longer be able to play the game because the servers on my steam account

So please release us a dedicated server .exe, and if possible support multi home ip's.

A) can be launched from service (if it's that what you mean)

B) copy arma2.exe to arma2_server1.exe and arma2_server2.exe and run each with -server and other parameters (different profiles and so on)

C) use offline mode (Go offline) mode and -server works fine

Thanks for getting the steam one up. 4.3 gigs :butbut: :yay:

Ya Bis fine we can use these commands. Why not release a dedicated server exe like every other release???

Running the client with -server switch on a server machine is NOT a solution. The normal arma executable has copy protection, do you think everyone is going to go pop a dvd in their co-located boxes? This is the prime reason for having the dedicated exe, lack of protection/3d rendering, there is no actual performance difference.

Also, it may not be able to start if I recall, since it used to try to look for a d3d device, which will not be available on a server via remote desktop. (I can't remember if this is the case, and can't check since it isn't going to launch without the dvd or steam)

Again, arma.exe -server IS NOT AN OPTION FOR DEDICATED SERVER ADMINS. Please fix this! Someone did not think this through enough!

This :D

Is it now possible to save anywhere in coop campaign like we do in solo campaign (Esc > Save) ?

Well I'm downloading through Steam just fine at 1.1 MB/Sec :D

Unfortunately Steam is yet not able to patch your addons using data differences. Steam must copy whole new addon over.

LOL at the OP. Did anyone even proof read those patch notes? I hope this isnt an indication of quality.

Yeah the patch notes were as buggy as ARMA2 :)

Multiple double listings...real professional!

Unfortunately Steam is yet not able to patch your addons using data differences. Steam must copy whole new addon over.

Have about thirty games on STEAM when they patch, they just patch it, not redownload the whole thing again. (5% after two hours) It's really ridiculous and I don't think it is STEAM's fault when this is the ONLY game we've seen do this...

both of these points are not good signs for this coming patch I'm about to install, and I was all exited too, but now I'm worried what new bugs this "patch" is going to introduce to players.

Edited by cjsoques