Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ArmA2 1.03 Impressions - ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

FSAA is not fully supported yet (that's why you can have some shadows problems ...), you cant tweak it in the options menu. You can get it worked by changing value in your ArmA2.cfg file. :)

FSAA=0; Disabled

FSAA=1; Low

FSAA=2; Medium

FSAA=3; High

FSAA will be completely supported in one of the futures patchs :)

Indeed shadows don't work with AA, i tried all 4 options and have to keep it at 0 to have shadows.

FSAA is not fully supported yet (that's why you can have some shadows problems ...), you cant tweak it in the options menu. You can get it worked by changing value in your ArmA2.cfg file. :)

FSAA=0; Disabled

FSAA=1; Low

FSAA=2; Medium

FSAA=3; High

FSAA will be completely supported in one of the futures patchs :)

Thanks a lot and cheers to all over at BI, you night workaholics as you are :P

Thanks to all you staffers at BI for your dedication in getting this patch out to us. I am very impressed that you all kept going till the patch was released like that. I fully expected to see it emerge on Monday. Many of the larger software companies could learn a thing or two from you with regards to customer care. Top marks to you all, now go get some rest.

Even though there were no performance mentions in the notes, I am noticing a somewhat drastic improvement in performance. In some cases I'm gaining as much as 15-20 FPS compared to previous benchmarks :) Thumbs up from me :yay: :yay:

At first i was dissapointed by the AA without shadows...then i realised, turning of postrocessing gives me such an incredible boost in fps...i can now play with fillrate set to 133% instead :D

Love the patch so far...but miss an analog throttle.

Even though there were no performance mentions in the notes, I am noticing a somewhat drastic improvement in performance. In some cases I'm gaining as much as 15-20 FPS compared to previous benchmarks :) Thumbs up from me :yay: :yay:

A++++++ Cool. I know BI would have loved to wait maybe another month or so to make everything as perfect as possible but considering the mess ARMA was at on release and plenty of other really good games that were shipped with bugs only to be ironed out later, ARMA 2 is the true sequel to OFP. That name may trick some into buying OFP:DR, I will wait for the reviews on that one. And now, just because I feel like it.....a dancing banana :yay:

A++++++ Cool. I know BI would have loved to wait maybe another month or so to make everything as perfect as possible but considering the mess ARMA was at on release and plenty of other really good games that were shipped with bugs only to be ironed out later, ARMA 2 is the true sequel to OFP. That name may trick some into buying OFP:DR, I will wait for the reviews on that one. And now, just because I feel like it.....a dancing banana :yay:

Still not displaying all graphics options in 185/186.xx drivers in Vista 64.

Only have "low" or "normal" for texture quality and texture memory.

Also, graphics memory and local memory are STILL being detected wrongly (256 MB when I actually have 3 x 1 GB) and I am sure this is directly affecting performance.

Otherwise, seems fine :)

Eth

I've lost the blur effect? Is there a setting for this?

Also my startup screen is underwater rather than the aircraft carrier

Edited by froggyluv

Using AA is a must. Now that I have used it and played with it. This is why!

Losing Shadows is of little concern now that with AA I can actually make out any enemy soldier from far away. Before everything blended in so well that it was almost impossible to see any enemy soldier at all.

Now with AA and everything crystal clear you can make out the unatural form of a human being better in the woods.

Shadows.. Blah.. I can live without that... Seeing the enemy... Much more important.

Still not displaying all graphics options in 185/186.xx drivers in Vista 64.

Only have "low" or "normal" for texture quality and texture memory.

Also, graphics memory and local memory are STILL being detected wrongly (256 MB when I actually have 3 x 1 GB) and I am sure this is directly affecting performance.

Otherwise, seems fine :)

Eth

I'm curious if there are other vista 64bit arma2 owners out there that have this problem.

I'm curious if there are other vista 64bit arma2 owners out there that have this problem.

There are, I'm not the first person to mention it. Seems to be a known issue with newer Nvidia drivers.

Eth

Sounds like the patch creates other bugs, more technical ones?

Eh, not good not good... :(

I just pre ordered it from CD-WOW. Can't wait :D

WOah! turning on the AA (any setting) messed with my screen. Now there's some crazy filter over (or under) everything!! it looks like as if my screen had cracks in it?!?! Weird, will try to post a screen after trying a few things to fix it. Looks nice despite the weirdness... lol THANKS BIS

EDIT: deleting the profile and making config non-read-only fixed it... weird

Edited by berowe

Sounds like the patch creates other bugs, more technical ones?

Eh, not good not good... :(

I just pre ordered it from CD-WOW. Can't wait :D

Bad move. CDWOW could take weeks to get it. I have my order with CD WOW and asked them why it hasn't shipped and they said they have no idea when they are getting stock....I will never use CDWOW ever again.

Thank you for the patch BI! Will try it out immediatley.:)

I have artifacts in my lower part of the screen when I enable FSAA=2 or FSAA= 4 (manually editing ArmA2.cfg).

8800GT with 186.something driver that is.

Switching back to FSAA=0, artifacts are gone but aliasing again :(

Edit... Somebody else reported it allready :)

Xeno

Edited by Xeno

Bad move. CDWOW could take weeks to get it. I have my order with CD WOW and asked them why it hasn't shipped and they said they have no idea when they are getting stock....I will never use CDWOW ever again.

I meant... ordered, not pre ordered. I think they're already ready to ship them out... Because that's what it says on their page I think.

Here, it says expected to ship within 7-10 days. I'm not sure if that's when I'll get it or when they'll ship it OUT, but either way I'll save 10 dollars if I get the game a bit late, I guess that's ok.

Sounds have been discussed before and on the contrary to some that think ARMA2 has bad sounds - it doesnt. It needs improvements here and there like more diverse explosions and some more variants of MG's etc, but in the big whole its such a huge upswing from ArmA1. Its immersive to be under fire that you say "SHIT!!" when it happens and with a smile on your face.

Now to the cool discovery my mate did this evening. He was on Chernarus and had 5-6000 viewdistance. He was just testing some stuff out. Random fun in editor really. But he placed a group of RUS T-90's real far away, and he was himself on a rooftop where he had full view over the tanks coming closer and closer. He shot with the SMAW so they knew where he was and they started fire... Here come the cool: The sounds of tanks MG's really far (not sure how far - not 5k though lol, but far) was completelly different from the ones closer. What my mate said and what i heard was amazing long distance sound from the guns - they sounded real! completelly real. And what he noticed too is that AI dont engage outside viewdistance - wich is big plus to BIS again. Tunguska's didnt shoot at jets outside VD and when he raised it - they did. BIS brilliance again.

Anyway dont want to get too carried away here, but now we know the new sound configs can handle near, far plus directional sounds wich is awesome. I cant wait to see some high class realistic powerful soundmods later on.

Just an observation that made me happy this evening and had to share. ;)

Alex

Here is the changelog, you can also find it in the readme file of this patch :)

* Swimming soldiers no longer drop inventory items.

Is it just me that can't get this to work? I still loose gear if i go for a swim..

Hmm, installed the patch everything seems fine excepting for the AntiAliasing option in the video options stuck on 'Disabled', with any available 'Enable' option.

Have I missed a trick on how to enable AA?

The game overall is very impressive, and can't wait to get stuck into the campaign later today.

Great work guys. Performance seems to be up. Some nice fixes listed. Haven't had a chance to try them yet though.

Just wondering now after this patch, why did they make AA software controlled? its no different from having filtering on for performance hits..

AA used on my 4870 with it at fsaa=0 in cfg does nothing.. Hardware AA is key in relieving the stress off the cpu.

Hope this comes later again with more fixes, other than that thanks for staying up late and getting it out at least :)