Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ArmA2 1.03 Impressions - ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

I just buy it now: beautiful, big thank you to developers.

I don't get the criticisms about the movement being jerky. To me this is the first OFP game that finally feels smooth all the way around.

The headbob will definently make you sick, so I turn it down to just a slight movement, so it's there to add some atmosphere. The fact that it's fully customizable is fine by me. Same for the HDR and what not. You can turn it off if you don't like it.

I think sticking to the clunky control mechanism was a mistake. It feels awful, especially today.

The game is heavily bugged from a graphics point of view, but also some game mechanics are buggered.

I sympathise with Balgorg.

my God this game is awesome! enabled 360 controller as well, so im using keyboard while infantry, and controller when im piloting helis and planes. works like a charm! :yay:

wow how did u do that?

Well, I kind of sympathise with any of the posters here who wanted something other than another chapter in the life of OFP. For me, it's exactly what I want! So overall, the first impressions make me very happy.

I'd like to be able to modify some of the effects - kill the blur and reduce the character bob a bit, for instance - but they're liveable-with.

There's some graphics bugginess - objects going into total black silhouette when facing the sun, rather clunky HDR, alpha sorting issues with objects and shadows, etc.

There's been some bugginess with mission text and AI too, but nothing more than I expect (with fondness) from the OFP series games. :)

But the big tick for the game so far is that I've been able to play it for about 2 hours without a single crash! That's almost unheard of... although it is early days yet. ;)

I think sticking to the clunky control mechanism was a mistake.

Care to elaborate ?

To me it seems standard WASD movement + you can map most of your keys as you see fit...

The new context sensitive menu and high command are a very nice addition too.

Basically, the only difference I see with other FPS is the squad command interface replacing the typical knife/chainsaw/shotgun/minigun/plasma rifle/bfg9000... but most other shooters don't even have one.

Edited by EricM

Here are my comments..

The controls are really shoddy. I can't put my finger on it but it seems like I can't get used to them no matter what I do. The motion blur and the head bob are nice effects but are they really necessary or realistic? Also, units look like they're going too fast to believe when they're running - especially considering they're carrying heavy gear.

And why do I need laser precision just to get myself in such a position that I can get gear from an ammo crate, or talk to NPCs?

The voice acting in the campaign is absolutely dreadful. The main character sounds like a Persian nightclub owner and most of the NPCs sound like little kids.

Can't really steer ground vehicles by mouse like I could do in Arma1 so I have to use the keyboard. Fixed wing aircraft are flyable but again the controls are not as good as in Arma1. Helo controls are about the same.

HDR and lighting effects go a bit over the top so it takes me longer to take in my surroundings and identify enemies.

I've been playing for several hours and I can't see what all the fuss is about. In terms of playability, its definitely worse than Arma 1. It's got a bit of window dressing here and there, but nothing groundbreaking. Even if all the bugs (and there are a lot) are fixed, I'm not going to bother much with this one.

Loading...loading...receiving...windows has encountered an error.

Edit: Sorry, got the above a bit wrong: wait a moment....wait a moment....loading....receiving....ArmA 2 has stopped working.

Edited by mcvittees

I think i have to stop reading these new impressions because there seems to be enormous amount of idiotic people giving impressions now. "Arma 1 was better"

and all the other crap. Makes me angry. Or i'm just too drunk so my nerves are a bit of short.

I think i have to stop reading these new impressions because there seems to be enormous amount of idiotic people giving impressions now. "Arma 1 was better"

and all the other crap. Makes me angry. Or i'm just too drunk so my nerves are a bit of short.

Agreed 200%. But as i'm not drunk i'm going to drink one beer by stupid comment here and i'll be soon rolling under my chair :811::beeeers::cheers::803::drinking2:

In a cutscene in briefing room just before 1st mission - my fav movie quoted:

-How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?

-You secure that shit, Hudson!

do u ppl know a movie title?

:)

In a cutscene in briefing room just before 1st mission - my fav movie quoted:

-How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?

-You secure that shit, Hudson!

do u ppl know a movie title?

:)

Aliens :D

Can't get it to work for more than 5 minutes... Keep getting CTD's. Already tried 4 different graphics drivers... More work on making this game stable is sorely needed! :(

Kinda sad to see so many people say that ARMA 1 were better.

Don't believe them. Just all that i'm saying. Arma 2 is best BIS had done so far.

And now some more :drinking:

I don't get how people can say Arma 1 was better? I haven't tried A2 yet but I sure as hell can see alot of the differences in screens and vids and what people have told me.

Kinda sad to see so many people say that ARMA 1 were better.

If people don't see the improvements over A1, that's their problem, not anyone else's. They can always go back and have fun with ArmA. Vanilla Arma2 is definitely superior to vanilla ArmA in my opinion. Just playing the single player missions is a ton of fun with the new animations, AI and atmosphere. Firefights are so much more immersive... I could go on. :)

Maybe ArmA had a ton of mods to improve it, but Arma2 will soon catch up in that respect.

Here are my comments..

The controls are really shoddy. I can't put my finger on it

do you have very short arms?

Comments about install limits removed, 1. it's not relevant to the thread, 2. it's an issue between yourselves and the publisher you purchase the game from, if you don't want install limits buy a boxed DVD version.

Hi,

I've played the game for a couple hours now and I think its excellent, well worth the £25, in fact a bargain.

Only a few things bothering me:

- Firstly the highest resolution setting is more jagged and less smoother? I had to take it down from my usual setting of 1680x1050 because it wasn't as smooth and a lot more jagged then at 1280x1024. I've got the Geforce 8800 GTX.

-Secondly the mouse movement seems very sensitive, I'm not sure why but even when I lowered it to nearly 0 it is slow but still quite sensitive. Maybe it's just me.

-Thirdly I think the game needs a bit of smoothness, the running and movement is all a bit ragged and unsmooth. It just needs abit of polishing up with bugs and some of the actions.

But other then that the game is excellent, and the graphics are stunning. Well done BIS, I think you've done a excellent job, just abit of fixing up should complete a very good game.

Loading...loading...receiving...windows has encountered an error.

Edit: Sorry, got the above a bit wrong: wait a moment....wait a moment....loading....receiving....ArmA 2 has stopped working.

Problem fixed by re-installing to default instalation path (C: as opposed to my D: ).

One and a half hours playing impressions:

Graphics - excellent detail to objects and environment but needs AA - without Shaders set to high game world is ugly. Weapon and player detail excellent. A few glitches here and there when flying around.

AI - quickly made scenario in editor of two squads in a village. Friendly AI comms excellent! Swearing and much more real directions - 'ahead', 'infront' etc. AI moves to cover and overwatches. Much more realistic animations.

Sounds - much better than ArmA!

Helicopters - feel sluggish. Will need more time.

Editor - alwasys crashed for me in ArmA, but is stable (so far) and quick loading for me. Also, transition to map and back is quicker.

Chenarus - seems waaay bigger than ArmA's Island(s). Although, I have read, the area is about same as in ArmA, because there are no silly big mountain ranges all the terrain is usable so the available land mass seems much larger.

Having read the trashing some posts have given ArmA2, I am very pleased.

Edited by mcvittees

Can someone post a picture or give comment on how the infinite terrain looks beyond the game area please? :)

Can someone post a picture or give comment on how the infinite terrain looks beyond the game area please? :)

Shit at the moment. Apparently they've implemented the full version in 1.02, but it's not out yet.

Infinite sinusoidal-shaped hills of gravel.

Somewhat odd is that the texture from the air looks different than when you land.