Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ArmA2 1.03 Impressions - ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

Why is it I cant install the new 1.02 patch ? It says I have the original 1.02 patch already installed. Do I have to uninstall the entire game and re-install again ?

1. I have played all of the OFP series/Arma series. I love the OFP, hate the Arma.

2. I was under the impression that Arma 2 was in development when Arma was, therefore using an excuse similar to: "We're concentrating on Arma 2, thats why Arma is full of bugs and is incomplete."

3. How is Arma 3 looking?

4. I was also under the impression that betatesting can get you upto an $80000 annual salary: http://ezinearticles.com/?Beta-Testing-Games---How-to-Apply-For-a-Beta-Game-Tester-Job&id=1854545

5. How are those germans liking the betatesting?

6. Is the following statement correct?

"An Uwe Bolle movie is AWESOME because all it needs are some patching and I can fix it myself for free!"

7. Let me guess, nothing I said makes ANY sense.

Why is it I cant install the new 1.02 patch ? It says I have the original 1.02 patch already installed. Do I have to uninstall the entire game and re-install again ?

Read the post before you.

you're good to go. when you run the game, check the right hand corner. it will says 1.02.58134 so the patch is successfully installed

You're joking right ?

But there was AA in ArmA 1.

At some point someone must have thought "hmm this will break AA, but who uses that anyway?" :rolleyes:

What are you talking about? They cant remove the opinion because a new set of code causing problem? The "there was AA in ArmA 1" speech is just BS IMO.:raisebrow:

1. I have played all of the OFP series/Arma series. I love the OFP, hate the Arma.

2. I was under the impression that Arma 2 was in development when Arma was, therefore using an excuse similar to: "We're concentrating on Arma 2, thats why Arma is full of bugs and is incomplete."

3. How is Arma 3 looking?

4. I was also under the impression that betatesting can get you upto an $80000 annual salary: http://ezinearticles.com/?Beta-Testing-Games---How-to-Apply-For-a-Beta-Game-Tester-Job&id=1854545

5. How are those germans liking the betatesting?

6. Is the following statement correct?

"An Uwe Bolle movie is AWESOME because all it needs are some patching and I can fix it myself for free!"

7. Let me guess, nothing I said makes ANY sense.

What is the point of your questions? Not that I have something against them but you seem you already have the answers.

It is true that germany served as a BETA-Testing platform, but what makes you believe that it was wanted? haven't you considered the fact that the publisher could have put some pressure behind?

Or maybe, you don't care and it's way more easy to smack BIS DEV heads than trying to understand "why this is like that and why does this result to this?"

Regards,

TB

Love the fact we're now officially seeing FSAA, however I'm a bit surprised by the framerate cost. In Arma1 (where at high settings I had the same avg. 30 FPS as in A2 at low settings) enabling or disabling FSAA made a barely notable difference, about 1 or 2 frames - somewhat hard to measure even. 2xFSAA was basically "free" on the card. In A2, the lowest FSAA setting costs average 5 to 6 frames, which is quite a chunk if your max framerate goes from 36 to 30, and average drops from 30 to 25.

Any idea why that could happen? Are the In-Game settings maybe better than 2xFSAA even at "Low"? I can not enable FSAa trough the driver to make sure it's only using 2xFSAA.

Edited by Helmut_AUT

You're joking right ?

Er, I wasnt, but I just didnt read the previous posts :) I guess Im all good to go..

Annoying that you can't know how much AA you are applying..

I don't want 5x, or 6x or 12x, nor 2x, i want 4x AA and nothing else.

I wont use any AA at all until i know which is 4x.

The stream/load lag is even worse than the first 1.02. When I move fast through a city I dip from 25 FPS to 8 for no apparent reason other than object/texture load.

For me the game is running worse with every new patch, hope this won't become a tradition.

Am I the only one?

I have defragged my HD, which isn't even half full by the way.

Would a clean install on a separate partition do the trick?

This game is fantastic, but this issue doesn't make any sense to me and I would love to hear an explanation.

My specs:

Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850, 3.0 GHz

3.00 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (186.18 drivers)

VD 2400+

Everything on Normal except:

Shadow detail - High

PP - Low

Cheers!!!

Edited by laggy

Annoying that you can't know how much AA you are applying..

I don't want 5x, or 6x or 12x, nor 2x, i want 4x AA and nothing else.

I wont use any AA at all until i know which is 4x.

Low=2

Normal=4

High=8

Very high=16

Just a logical guess. :)

Low=2

Normal=4

High=8

Very high=16

Just a logical guess. :)

Yea, that sounds pretty logical.

I'll go for "normal".

Thanks for your reply.

Would a clean install on a separate partition do the trick?

I have two versions of ArmA2 installed on my PC , i have a second HD with nothing on it except ArmA2 and there is absolutley no differance in frame rate.

So, uhm, did anyone notice the AA not really working on shadows and burning wrecks? And the white 1pix border around the AK107 inside the Cobra optics (that ofcourse doesn't happen just with the AK107)?

Link to the screenshots.

Also, what's the reason for the shadows in 3rd person looking like from 2002?

On High/Very High they're ****ed up like this, but on Normal they're okay, just like in ArmA1.. why?

Don't get me wrong, the game itself is amazing and I totally love it, but I'll start pulling my hair out soon because of this.

Edited by Cole

Love the fact we're now officially seeing FSAA, however I'm a bit surprised by the framerate cost. In Arma1 (where at high settings I had the same avg. 30 FPS as in A2 at low settings) enabling or disabling FSAA made a barely notable difference, about 1 or 2 frames - somewhat hard to measure even. 2xFSAA was basically "free" on the card. In A2, the lowest FSAA setting costs average 5 to 6 frames, which is quite a chunk if your max framerate goes from 36 to 30, and average drops from 30 to 25.

Any idea why that could happen? Are the In-Game settings maybe better than 2xFSAA even at "Low"? I can not enable FSAa trough the driver to make sure it's only using 2xFSAA.

Why does this matter? The human eye doesnt see over about 25fps anyhow?!

Why does this matter? The human eye doesnt see over about 25fps anyhow?!

not quite true, while it is true that at the distances cinema and large tvs are designed to be true 24fps is enough to fool the human brain that its seing smooth motion, there is improvemnt at higher speeds, plus it can detct the flicker.

Many cinema screens show you 50 fps, they double up the traditional 24 (so each is shown twice in a row) then add a couple of blanks. I suspect these extra two were chosen to sync to 50Hz a common AC current frequency. THe large number is to limit flicker.

30+ frames also make controls smoother, imho. It's playable now, I'm just surprised that FSAA has different performance in different games. Because in the end, isn't FSAA very resolution-specific, not nearly as dependent on what is actually on the screen?

Funny enough, I found out that Aniso - at least for me - is free. Same frames at "Very High" than at "Deactivated". Guess my card is bottlenecking out in some other area, has spare clock cycles for the textures.

Did you notice that you can change your graphical options?

Did you notice if you do it looks like an N64 game?

wow

So I've been waiting for this Friday...

and now the demo has come.

This game is horrible for me.

I have 3GB of Ram, 2.6 quad processor and 8800GTS 640 MB...

and this game rapes it all.

The controls are sooo slow and the motion blur kills brain cells.

I'm a master pilot helis and jets in BF2, and in this game it just seems impossible.

Not sure I'm giving in my 50 bucks.

basically, bohemia made some HUGE mistake in graphics design. maybe the fail is directly linked to 3D engine developpement (not enough know-how), maybe it's a bad choice of certain things.

when i set my game perfectly, try to play with editor , i see my FPS at 30. great. then you start to run or drive in town , and there, FPS HOLE appears.

But so , WHY WHEN I'M USE A SNIPER RIFFLE , TREE LEAF MAKE MY COMPUTER CRAWL :butbut:.

then finally, you understand the more thing appears on screen, the more simpler these things are... game is simply ... UGLY

a fail. i have no more trust in bohemia.

I'm a master pilot helis and jets in BF2, and in this game it just seems impossible.

Not sure I'm giving in my 50 bucks.

Are you joking?

For the 500th time, this isn't BF2. Master of helis and jets in BF2? LOL. Dude, anybody could fly those, they're fun but very easy. You can't be a "master" of them.

LOL master of BF2 ha ha ha ha ha. cheered me up, a chimp could fly them all day long an pwn any 1 in BF2. this game is alot more 'in-depth'

Does anybody get the message 'ArmA 2 patch 1.02 has been already applied' when installing patch?

Disregard - I realised the patch updates it anyway, by looking at the version on the menu, thanks!

Edited by nikodemus