Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ArmA2 1.03 Impressions - ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

My copy finally came today.

I'm actually pretty disappointed. Not in the game, but in the fact that it basically won't run on my system. I can put up with 10 or 15 FPS, but object LoDs are so low that I can't even tell what I'm looking at.

I realize that I have an odd system config (2x 3.06GHz Xeons, 2GB RAM, 256MB GF 7 series,) but I was hoping it would at least be playable. It's really a bummer. I wasn't looking forward to anything else coming out this year and it's going to be a couple of years before I can afford to build an entirely new system.

Oh well. I don't regret the purchase since BIS deserves the support. I just wish I could play it.

@ Taconic

It's your GFX card that's letting you down you don't even have min spec. And with all the posts the min spec would hardly be playable.

@ Taconic

It's your GFX card that's letting you down you don't even have min spec. And with all the posts the min spec would hardly be playable.

According to the box, the minimum requirement is a 256MB GF 7800. That is exactly what I have (256MB 7800GS.)

Upgrading is not an option, either. My board doesn't have a PCI-E bus. This means I'd need a new motherboard, which in turn means that I would need new processors. That's not an investment that I can afford any time soon.

I didn't expect great performance, but I was hoping to at least be able to play.

According to the box, the minimum requirement is a 256MB GF 7800. That is exactly what I have (256MB 7800GS.)

Upgrading is not an option, either. My board doesn't have a PCI-E bus. This means I'd need a new motherboard, which in turn means that I would need new processors. That's not an investment that I can afford any time soon.

I didn't expect great performance, but I was hoping to at least be able to play.

Tacinic I totally sympathise with you on this. However if you enjoy playing the latest game releases it has become a necessity to upgrade your PC. Some people only have to upgrade parts some it is a major overhaul (New gear across the board). I had to do the same 2 years ago to be able to play ARMA and now I had to buy a new graphics card and OC my CPU to be ready for medium settings in ARMA2. I hope to get 12 months more out of this machine before I need a new one, actually I hope for 18 months more.

I actually spent $400 AUD on a 8800GTS 2 years ago along with a new machine overall and now I bought a 4870 for $265 AUD and it is 30% faster at least and now my CPU is bottlenecking my GFX card! Oh well. Good news is that GFX cards are getting very fast and the prices are falling, no more $1000 cards.

This is a cycle I find is necessary to keep up with gaming, new PC every 3 years with a small upgrade in between and I am not an extreme gamer by any means.

Edited by Dogtags

Tacinic I totally sympathise with you on this. However if you enjoy playing the latest game releases it has become a necessity to upgrade your PC. Some people only have to upgrade parts some it is a major overhaul (New gear across the board). I had to do the same 2 years ago to be able to play ARMA and now I had to buy a new graphics card and OC my CPU to be ready for medium settings in ARMA2. I hope to get 12 months more out of this machine before I need a new one, actually I hope for 18 months more.

This is a cycle I find is necessary to keep up with gaming, new PC every 3 years with a small upgrade in between and I am not an extreme gamer by any means.

Yeah, I know. I'm just painted into a corner with my current system and was hoping it'd handle Arma on low.

Eventually I'll upgrade. I'm just a bit bummed since I was looking forward to Arma 2 since I actually have some free time this summer. :p

Two days now with ArmA II. No crashes! Patch 1.02 from the start. Game "feels" alot better then ArmA I. A bit dissapointing to see that it is so heavy. 8800GT, E6600@3.2. 4GB. Still i think i manage before i get some money for better hardware. Campaign seems interesting enough. Finaly a good story. Damn team mates just die all the time and then it's one load-->save-->load--->save. Amount of the bugs amazes. BIS managed to get rid off lots of old bugs but then there are plenty of new ones. Stil... only MP game for me. :) Me Happy. :)

Two days now with ArmA II. No crashes! Patch 1.02 from the start. Game "feels" alot better then ArmA I. A bit dissapointing to see that it is so heavy. 8800GT, E6600@3.2. 4GB. Still i think i manage before i get some money for better hardware. Campaign seems interesting enough. Finaly a good story. Damn team mates just die all the time and then it's one load-->save-->load--->save. Amount of the bugs amazes. BIS managed to get rid off lots of old bugs but then there are plenty of new ones. Stil... only MP game for me. :) Me Happy. :)

When you got the new system at the time i thought you would need to update it again when ArmA2 comes out.. i had that idea and how you confirm it. Thats why i thought to wait for a better pc and prices.

How is the MP coop in the good old place?

How is the MP coop in the good old place?
Public server is one big chaos. TK-fest. Kick kick kick kick. But people will learn... i hope. For normal coop we have passworded server.

The German Leopard II is a very nice tank :). It's very impressive seing it in action - I remember thinking I really really wouldnt wanna meet one of those when being a grunt ;)

The German Leopard II is a very nice tank :). It's very impressive seing it in action - I remember thinking I really really wouldnt wanna meet one of those when being a grunt ;)

M1Ax and T-xx series are combat-proven.

Leopards are not really. Some were driving around in ex-Yugo, but I never heard that they had contact. And I dunno if the Cannadians had some of their Leos in Iraq.

So as a German I can say that this toy still has to prove that it is "nice".

I heard in some TV show that Leo's have very good crew protecting systems, so that even a direct shot in the armor would cause at most minor wounds to tank crew

No, we Germans have the BEST crew protection system: we never send our Leos into combat, hence we had not a single loss so far (except few drunken tards riding Leo's until they are upside-down during training).

Leopards are not really. Some were driving around in ex-Yugo, but I never heard that they had contact. And I dunno if the Cannadians had some of their Leos in Iraq.

If you look at scores from competitions between NATO countrys over the years since the LEO2s are used you will see that they always made excellent scores.

Not to mention that their crews love them and regulary get praise from other tankers.

Its just a excellent design and even if not combat proven you just need to count 2 and 2 together to come to the conclusion that this is a excellent tank especialy with the latest upgrades.

As Russophile i love the Russian Ts for their unique design but the LEOs are a class of their own.

Some info and a nice video HERE

Edited by Shadow NX

No, we Germans have the BEST crew protection system: we never send our Leos into combat, hence we had not a single loss so far (except few drunken tards riding Leo's until they are upside-down during training).

Wait a sec, that actually happens? I thought that was just an ArmA bug. :D

Canadian did not deployed troops in Iraq.

We deployed thousand troops in Afghanistan and yes, we deployed Leopard to Afghanistan to support our troops.

Here are some Canadian Forces Armor deployed to Afghanistan;

The latest Canadian MBT, the Leopard 2A6M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfRauhF0xPU

Edited by Skodz

well the armor is great in the front of this tank as on all main battle tanks

but the sides and rear are almost unprotected except from the disel tanks on both sides.

the one i drove had extra armor un the bottom and a differen interior

where all loose gear was stuffed away and the driver was suspended in a sort of a swing instead of the normal seat to help to protect the crew from mines.

the only problem was the added weight of 10 tons.

Wait a sec, that actually happens? I thought that was just an ArmA bug. :D

no its a feature :)

besides its a way to stop you from driving to much crazy stunt speeds in mountained , slopey areas of terrain :yay:

think of it as driving a blackhawk and your cellphone rings and you accidentally crash into a powerline while talking on the phone or something...

if you need to turn on antialiasing to go User/Documents/arma2/arma.cfg and set FAA0 to FAA 1-4. Have fun. (only 1.02 version)

Hi, couldnt see a genral post for this so...

I think this game 95% of the way there think i bit of polish through update would make this game in comparable to otheres

for ex.

my team members spot enemy's from binocular distance i look over and cant see anything some in with a scope and still barley see them (i would understand if he was on open grounds but he was in the middle of the woods) what about some in out animations for entering exiting vehicals is there anything else you people would like to see? i hope BI takes a intrest in its people and reads this along with all your posts

Edited by Warkeeper

Yes! We want Polish version of the game! (Joke)

lol xD .... I think they should change the sensativity on driving .. u ever tryed just slightly turning the car with the WASD keys u almost do a 180 them danm cars have a better turning angle then your landrovers

From my humble point of view: This game is superb!

Admittedly, I have a low end computer and I'm forced to play on low-normal settings with 3000 meters view distance. The world around me is still amazingly beatyful with a life like scenery and very atmospheric colour tones. The rainy grey autumn setting fits the genre perfectly.

With so much going on in the world around me I've learnt to appreciate the shift=walk button, as well as the q=drive slow button. In earlier releases I often found that running and driving at very high speed was the best way to avoid getting hit. In ArmA 2 I've found that caution, stealth and careful planning pays off much more. That's exactly the way I want it to be.

I also appreciate the fact that the developers has listened to the community and produced a game that contains so many easter eggs in it's vanilla edition. Ambient life, Artillery, first aid system, injuries, blackouts (or should I say red outs). These are things that I (and others) have tried to script into previous versions of the game, with varying degrees of success.

Now I don't have to do that any more. I can focus on mission building, without having to learn a new addon/new script solution every time I want to play a new episode.

On the whole, I am more than pleased with ArmA 2. Numerous small issues and bugs exists, of course. But since these have already been reported by others I will not delve deeper into that. On the contrary: Well done BIS. My hat goes off to you.

:bounce3:

I am in a sour mode , espacially when i encountered something like this after a long wait.

I like all kind of realistic or semi-realistic simulations , i can never forget the joy i got on OF when i tried to escape from enemy camp without any weapon ,map or compass and navigating my way to friendly territory using the stars :)

Bought the game ,and without any exaggeration ,nothing worked...from the first misson to the last (actually i abandoned the game at dogs of war start, when i learned that i have to finish previous misson again)

I am not one of the fanboi saying `but it will get better with patches`..

No it wont ,an AI who can head shot your crouched sniper in the bushes from 500m with an AK is not a patchable issue,it is a design issue and show lack of talent on creating a realistic AI by giving them super human powers ,i mean turning off the vegatation is a must so we can have slightest chance to fight back and here it goes the gorgeous living surrounding and welcome to the texture land...

Installed 1.0.1 patch and finally i stopped becoming a bird and flew away.....and its bohemia to blame..

Installed 1.0.2 and started a fresh campaign and every damn mission still have bugs ,all of them without exception ,you give one order your team does something else ,your team members are suddenly `away` and dont receive orders when they stand just next to you ,misson tasks fail without any explanation ,you finish a task and it doesnt register on the tasks ,chopper and fire misson supports dissapearing etc etc...

I must admit i first got impressed with the sophisticated approach to a sandbox game this big ,if only it didnt failed so miserably.

I dont beleive that i am uttering this sentence but `arma 1 was better`

And OP 1 was way better than arma 1..its sad..its like we are going backwards..

From this day on i am not paying for any game from any company , i will first got my pirated copy and if its fun and working state then i will buy it ,game companys still doesnt understand that fighting with their paying customers will make them loose even more blood ,in this time and this age ,when a pirated copy of any game is on torrents few days after the release and works better because their idiotic protection systems have been removed.

You want my money? Then release working games..End of rant ,peace out..

Edited by baron666

Well I started the morning bright and early to DL the demo. set that up and went off do do other stuff. checked my mail and lo and behold! my copy had come in this morning from gogamer! I was not expecting to see it in until next week some time, monday at the earliest.

Anyway, installed and man, this game runs a lot worse on my machine than i was expecting :D (meet the minimum requirements just barley). i barley meet the requirements for arma 1 and am able to run the game quite decently so I figured that on low ArmA II would be quite playable (same engine with a few new whistles that can be disabled).

Yeah, not happening sadly. I mean i can play, just at a constant 5-10 FPS or something :p

but from what i did manage i am already loving the new game. managed to do most of the training missions and even first campain mission (HALO is freaking HARD with 800m VD and no rendered particle effects).

Already love the ambient civ and animal logics. spent a while just roaming around utes testing out some of the gear. good stuff.

This game is really, really hard with no particle effects, and most of the 3d objects have no textures (for some reason when ever i shoot a white object its texture returns)

In conclusion: new computer time :D