Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ArmA2 1.03 Impressions - ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

Interesting

Yup. That said, I do get a warm fuzzy feeling from people with core i7s and octo sli gtx295's and 95GB of ram saying they can't run it on the highest settings.

I'm running on patch 1.02, if that changes anything.

which operating system are you running CW?

Something similar to what I'm getting :)

What is your mid frame rate in game?

God knows. I don't know how to get a fps counter but I'm guessing 20-25.

x32 or x64 bit? I think i might just install xp again. Everyone swears on better performance on it

mmm then again you only have 2gb. x32 i'm guessing :p

Also forgot to add I'm on Win 7 right now.

Edited by Easun

I have seen many now saying going back to XP from Vista gives better performance in ARMA2. I was going to step up to Win7 but i think i stay and test ARMA2 out first in my beloved XP.

Alex

Since Vista uses more resources that XP, it's hardly a miracle.

Meh on most games on mid range machines the difference is nigh neligible.

i would really be interested in an comparison: windows vista and windows 7.

i would be grateful for a pm on that alex72!

Recently had some time to try ArmA2 seriously and I have to say again... It is a masterpiece. It is everything that OFP and ArmA was together (combining their qualities and canceling their faults) ... and even beats that.

Will be hard for modders to beat the original... good luck!

Graphics- gritty, realistic and beautiful at the same time.

Sounds- create a convincing world experience and scary, intense fighting.

Atmosphere- choice of environments are right on the mark.

Playability- the best I've seen, you can actually talk to AI, carry wounded and attach objects.

AI- amazing and unpredictable, no more rambo style for players who figured out the game engine.

Immersion- better than anything else, thanks to the above mentioned qualities.

Unit/Weapon/Vehicle selection- all I ever hoped for.

Campaign- amazing so far, serious and dark.

Editor- Hallelujah! we finally have access to really usable sounds and objects, i.e massgraves and money stacks instead of playground items.

Modules- Praise the lord! a mission designer can now focus on the actual mission rather than eye candy and making the world come alive.

I could go on forever (and probably will in a future post), but I have one negative thing that I would like to hear your opinion on.

Critical input: Performance, performance and... performance. Recommended/optimal CPU specs is not applicable in reality, really hope this gets patched up drastically and that it is possible to do so.

Question: Playing the campaign I've only gotten to mission "Harvest Red" (the huge attack on Chernogorsk) and here I ran into real trouble performance wise. This mission was almost unplayable. Before that the missions ran really well though, so I wonder if anyone else experienced the same difference? I'm on version 1.02.

No SP respawns possible since 1.02 ?!

After the player has died in a SinglePlayer game in v1.01 we could select one of the remaining playable units and continue per default.

Not anymore in 1.02, the "Team Switch" button seems broken.

Is it a bug or do i miss something with new settings or configs in v1.02 ?

Thanks

patch 1.02 is a massive improvement for me...i'm only runnin a 9600GT but framerates are suitable on 200% fillrate..

i'll post these screenies i took earlier of ma reskinned crossers seein as the thread title says "impressions,Screenies"...lovin this game me.

mybluecrosser11.jpg

mybluecrosser7.jpg

dt125re.jpg

mybluecrosser3.jpg

mybluecrosser5.jpg

Edited by Xeo

OK, this is my mini review from a OFP vet. First, I really like this game. The performance issues are not to bad(Phenom X4 920, 4 gb ram, 260gtx 216) but what really has ground me to a halt is the buggy campaign.

How in the world did some of these missions pass testing. 1 mission you simply cannot get your squad to move, anywhere. I will try MP next but wow, at least OFP and ARMA1 had a campaign where you didn't have to worry about saving every 5 min for fear of missing a script because of a buggy mission. That said, I think the campaign shows ALOT of potential for upcoming expansions and for this game once they iron out the bugs.

Graphics are very nice all around.

Sound is nice although I think they are limited by the engine with voice overs.

Immersion is off the chart when things are going well but then you run into a bug and you have to cheat just to get through the mission.

Honestly, this game will be a modders dream. Look at what we did with OFP. CTI basically made it into a feature in both ARMA and ARMA 2 and obviously OFP was not designed with that in mind at all. If you want to see a true sim that isn't buggy as heack, check out DCS Black Shark. Amazing and very stable.

Conclusion: It is very obvious this game was either rushed by publishers or BI simply ran out of money. They is no way they spent this much time on a game only to release it like this. That said, BI is known for supporting their games so I had no problem poping down 50 bux to nexway for it. But please guys, next time, a larger beta. Alot of these tiny but showstopping issues may turn off people from BI games forever.

Yeah! The thing that makes me want to buy this game is that previous experience with BIS is that they work on their games after release. ArmA II might be in poor shape now, but I see the potensial, and I know that this game will be great after some patching! Keep up the good work! :yay:

Good drivers and defragmentation do wonders to reduce stuttering after a couple of patches and installs...

Pre 1.02 i was trying to tweak to get a happy medium with FPS and looks.

But all around the Norm to High settings struggling to get 20fps in Multiplayer.

Now im seeing a huge increase as im set to 1400x in res where Arma i was stuck with 1280x res, im seeings 40-50 and 60max in Editor, and certain Multiplayer missions ie Domination. It feels to me that Patch 1.02 is all suited for my Specs \/:)

Hi

I cant keep my mouse steady it all over the place jagger a lot,can any of you help.

Chief, is this while your holding the cursor still, trying to aim? Rifle sway can be a result of a few factors, however since I don't have ArmA2, I can only guess that you either have an injury, your standing instead of crouching/prone, or some kind of fatigue is settling in from doing a long sprint (not sure if this is in ArmA2 yet, but I imagine ACE2 will implement fatigue).

arma22009062212125829.jpg

I got some islands from Arma 1 to work :bounce3:

With all due respect,

i played flashpoint 1 and the followups and the points that annoyed me the most still exist!

- why is the Ai so damn stupid? They can shoot and hit from miles away but still can't drive a car or enter a vehicle whithout a problem.

- a new grafik engine whould just be urgent!

- i have to restart singleplayer missions because of so many bugs!

had to vent

cheers

Michael

1) The AI still has a lot of "learning" to do, but it is a vast improvement over OFP1, thier use of cover, flanking, suppression etc is quite amazing.

2) It is a new graphics engine...

3) Can't disagree with that one, just going to have to wait for more patches.

With all due respect,

i played flashpoint 1 and the followups and the points that annoyed me the most still exist!

- why is the Ai so damn stupid? They can shoot and hit from miles away but still can't drive a car or enter a vehicle whithout a problem.

- a new grafik engine whould just be urgent!

- i have to restart singleplayer missions because of so many bugs!

had to vent

cheers

Michael

"- a new grafik engine whould just be urgent!" :eek: what ? the graphics are great what are you talking about ?

If you are unhappy about bugs, wait to play the campaign for now and just have fun with the editor and multiplayer

Why not release the D on torrent??

That way many of us spaniardas can also enjoy the game

The game has been delayed to 25.

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

"- a new grafik engine whould just be urgent!" :eek: what ? the graphics are great what are you talking about ?

If you are unhappy about bugs, wait to play the campaign for now and just have fun with the editor and multiplayer

It lacks improved pyhiscs.

Edited by DLcmdr