Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ArmA2 1.03 Impressions - ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

It seems they tried to get it to run on consoles, but failed.

So it's more "we can't figure it out" than "we don't port to consoles on principle" :)

What on earth are you wittering on about now?

I'm really enjoying infantry combat, but vehicle combat is still broken IMHO.

Just played a tank TDM mission online - targeting is nearly impossible as the target box floats constantly away from the actual vehicle, leaving you shooting at air. And due to the incredibly short draw distance (<1km) you are left trying to aim at the flashes of smoke from invisible tanks' guns - that's not fun! :confused:

Please prioritise these issues!

Thank you

Mandrake

Is it only me, or after 1.02 (compared to 1.01 beta) UAV stopped to make dives and automatic locks on targets? This seems fine (no tree crashes), camera stabilization and mini-map are very nice too, but now I have problems with acquiring targets for missiles: In Manhattan, I'm circling above some armor and can't make UAV to stably lock on them. I'm trying to use "Reveal target", "Change target" or "Lock/Zoom", but UAV acquires (red brackets around) and very quickly looses targets on its own (so UAV “sees†them, just doesn’t lock), no matter what I press, and even when I'm not using any buttons. Once or twice I managed to lock on an immobile tank - I had green square mark around, then green circle (still no dive!), fired missile, splash one T72. Nice, but how this square mark first appeared - no idea, I cannot reproduce it.

Anyone has had experience with this kind of UAV behavior in ver. 1.02?

What are the proper keys/UAV position to lock on targets?

It seems they tried to get it to run on consoles, but failed.

So it's more "we can't figure it out" than "we don't port to consoles on principle" :)

Hi all

dvolk: To the best of my knowledge nobody at BIS has said ArmA II will not be available on console. Yet you appear to be trying to start a concern myth that; that is the case. When it clearly is not.

In fact if you go to the BIS web site

http://www.bistudio.com/arma2.html

And click on Platform it says:

Windows

Next generation consoles

And BIS have already released one title OFP:Elite for the X-Box. So they know what they are doing and have experience in converting the PC game to console as well as all the tools.

dvolk trying to goad BIS staff into making an anouncement when contracts with console manufacturers specificly gag developers from making anouncements until publisher and testing are complete is not helpful.

And if you are doing it for some pet hate you have of console games or a degree of personal animosity. That sir is not nice.

With some restraint... Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker
capitalised Y in yet and added concern

so... back to bussiness, when can we expect a new patch?

I'm not a console owner myself, so I couldn't care less whether or not the game comes out on XBox 360. Still, judging by all the info tidbits I have seen on these forums and elsewhere, they are working on a console version. At the very least, the fact that devs have stated on video that a 360 version in being developed should be evidence enough.

Let's take a look at the facts:

- Devs have stated in videos that they are working on a 360 version.

- The official site still lists "next gen consoles" as a platform for the game.

- They are not allowed to officially announce a possible 360 version until they have bagged a publisher.

- They cannot release the game on a console until it is mostly bug-free and complete.

Can it get any more clear than that?

when can we expect a new patch?

I've heard some very convincing rumors that the patch will in fact be released as soon as it's done.

I got my game on Monday from CDWOW (7 days delivery as they promised); installation went smooth, game played so far with no issues or crashes. Unfortunately with my graphic card “see sigâ€, I can only run this game on normal/low settings, which will get me about 20-30 FPS, not bad so far, haven’t notice any lag, I’m able to get that with my card OC. I love the post processing effect especially when I roll so I leave it on low. I noticed when I set anti-aliasing to normal it sucks the juice out of my card and notice the lag right away as a result. I will be saving money for the 4870 or 4890. I can’t wait to get my internet to play it online with my friends, excellent game, thanks BI.

Hi InFireBaptize

Set 3D resolution to the setting that says 100% next to it.

Kind regards walker

dvolk trying to goad BIS staff into making an anouncement when contracts with console manufacturers specificly gag developers from making anouncements until publisher and testing are complete is not helpful.

And if you are doing it for some pet hate you have of console games or a degree of personal animosity. That sir is not nice.

With some restraint... Kind Regards walker

Hah! I am innocent of all charges laid on me!

I am merely suggesting that given how the later parts of the campaign seem to sink even the most powerful PCs currently available it seems unlikely that it will ever be available on consoles, unless by 'next-gen' they mean PS4 and XBOX 720.

Hah! I am innocent of all charges laid on me!

I am merely suggesting that given how the later parts of the campaign seem to sink even the most powerful PCs currently available it seems unlikely that it will ever be available on consoles, unless by 'next-gen' they mean PS4 and XBOX 720.

You weren't suggesting at all, you were trolling and you've received an infraction for it previously, and if you don't curb the trolling and snide remarks you'll find your access here rather unavailable.

Fix the netcode and crashing bugs for the love of GOD and bother about everything else later, it's unplayable at the moment even warps in COOP... talk about downgrade from Arma 1.

Call me a whiner, but everything that has anything to do with online in the game is worthless at the moment unless you don't care much for people skipping 3 meters ahead randomly , that goes for all the AIs also if your not the host, who did QA for this game anyway?

Edited by heady89

Hi InFireBaptize

Set 3D resolution to the setting that says 100% next to it.

Kind regards walker

Hi Walker,

Are you from tactical gamer? i thought i played with someone there that has the same name, if you're the one, that i must say that you're an excellent commander and can't wait to play online with you guys again.

Thanks for the tip but i already have that at 100%.

Edited by InFireBaptize
corrected spelling

Fix the netcode and crashing bugs for the love of GOD and bother about everything else later, it's unplayable at the moment even warps in COOP... talk about downgrade from Arma 1.

Call me a whiner, but everything that has anything to do with online in the game is worthless at the moment unless you don't care much for people skipping 3 meters ahead randomly , that goes for all the AIs also if your not the host, who did QA for this game anyway?

Hi heady89:

BIS have a long and proven history of fixing bugs in their games and supporting them long after other developers leave their customers high and dry.

It is said to be one of the reasons they do not get on with a certain class of publisher.

Other than your vague description of an unspecified warping issue you have experienced on an unspecified server in an unspecified mission I see no specific bug report you have described. So you are correct your post comes across as a whine. Warping has far more to with incorrect view distances, server client bandwidth issues and buggy user Mission maker scripts that hog the CPU than it has anything to with the game.

Saying unspecific bugs exist helps no one.

Deal in solutions.

If you have a bug there is a Troubleshooting forum where you can report it and members of the community can help solve.

If you have a modicum of technical skill there is also a community issue tracker where you can refine the bug description and hopefully provide a repeatable mission.

Throwing an "Its buggy for me!" tantrum solves nothing and only makes you look foolish.

What was the server?

What was the mission?

As I said; Deal in solutions.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

If he paid for something and it doesn't work for him he has a right to complain.

Testing games and writing bug reports is a paid job by the way. Maybe BIS should consider employing some of these people.

I've written quite a few bug reports on the tracker, but sometimes I just experience so many obvious bugs and glitches (including extreme wrapping thankfully fixed in 1.02) in a short amount of time I feel like I've been kicked in the balls by BIS.

If he paid for something and it doesn't work for him he has a right to complain.

Testing games and writing bug reports is a paid job by the way. Maybe BIS should consider employing some of these people.

I've written quite a few bug reports on the tracker, but sometimes I just experience so many obvious bugs and glitches (including extreme wrapping thankfully fixed in 1.02) in a short amount of time I feel like I've been kicked in the balls by BIS.

My god you're a whiny little bitch. Everywhere I look on these forums you are there crying. Maybe you should just uninstall the game until there are a few more patches or just shut the hell up.

yes indeed he has the right to complain, but as walker said, whining does not help anyone. you (the complainer will only get more frustrated). it is unfortunate that the bug slipped through, but the problems remains, and it is better to report the bug in a civil and constructive manner and hopefully the problem will be solved. if you do not want to be as you said, "beta testers" - you can feel free to uninstall the game. if you feel ripped off, you might want to resell your copy to those unfortunate souls in australia or south africa that still have no idea where to buy their copy.

please calm down, it will make you feel better.

He's part of the walls here for me now. Like the painted flowers on the wall paper, there's dvolk's whines.

Sadly you don't listen to him anymore, because maybe sometimes he says something usefull, who knows? :D

He's part of the walls here for me now. Like the painted flowers on the wall paper, there's dvolk's whines.

Sadly you don't listen to him anymore, because maybe sometimes he says something usefull, who knows? :D

He's starting to remind me of how Vilas used to sound/act. Constant moaning. Nothing but complaining. At least Vilas is an excellent contributor to the community. I really like some other sports forums I frequent that have "ignore user" buttons.

He's starting to remind me of how Vilas used to sound/act. Constant moaning. Nothing but complaining. At least Vilas is an excellent contributor to the community. I really like some other sports forums I frequent that have "ignore user" buttons.

This forum has an ignore button ;)

View profile/user lists/ Add to ignore list.

Hi Walker,

Are you from tactical gamer? i thought i played with someone there that has the same name, if you're the one, that i must say that you're an excellent commander and can't wait to play online with you guys again.

Thanks for the tip but i already have that at 100%.

Hi InFireBaptize

I have and do play there occasionally. It is a good server and an excellent clan.

I tend to play on several servers. My real home is the Zeus server.

I am not always a great commander.

Last Sunday I had a nightmare command day. My first attempt at a particular mission I missed a vital bit of information in the briefing that explained our target would try to escape soon as they spotted the threat. I failed to ask for any questions at the end of the briefing. So all my brilliant maneuvering came to nought.

We replayed the mission and I sent a blocking force off to prevent the target escaping but as I did it a little voice in my head was saying you have split your force and you now have no reserve! As we had wasted the last mission I rushed. It was too big a blocking force too, so the majority of the task forces power was at the blocking location.

The assault force that was supposed to flush the objective toward the blocking force was too small and it was bumped and hit from two sides. A new player did not give correct contact reports he had not been properly trained yet. As I tried to get a proper contact report, he was saying "enemy firing at from the ridge" I said "What ridge where?" we went on like this taking casualty after casualty, what I did not realise was that because my Team speak Command channel is [TAB] and my VOIP push to talk is the [Caps Lock] I was spamming the command channel (I was pressing the wrong push to talk channel) thus making it impossible for team commanders to command their team. As we got into this total clusterfuck, and I along with the rest of the assault team got massacred, I continued to explain that contact reports need direction until one of the team commanders yelled at me for spamming the command net.

The worst sin of course was spamming the net when dead! Inexcusable! Dead men do not talk!

I apologised for it several times since and do so once again here.

VOIP needs some changes in ArmA. The ability to switch group channel is a must; so that commanders and others can talk to another team.

Also BIS need to allow for multi button mice. My usual push to talk for Teamspeak is the mouse thumb button. If I press it now, I eject out of vehicles and the like, as fourth button and fifth seem to be linked along with first button to the mouse wheel click and activate the context sensitive actions.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

This forum has an ignore button ;)

View profile/user lists/ Add to ignore list.

Ahhhhh... ok, sorry.

My god you're a whiny little bitch. Everywhere I look on these forums you are there crying. Maybe you should just uninstall the game until there are a few more patches or just shut the hell up.

Have you played the game? Do you even have it?

I spent over two weeks on the campaign. Realistically the campaign has less than 10 hours of gameplay. So what did I do in that time? I was restarting having encountered one of the countless fatal bugs.

1/10 of the effort of this game is about actually playing the game, 9/10 is learning what triggers which bugs and how to avoid them when you can.

Nobody is doing any favours to BIS by ignoring the criminal state of the games they release.

Nobody is doing any favours to BIS by ignoring the criminal state of the games they release.

Putting aside the rather pathetic "criminal" snivel.

Who is ignoring it? The reviewers aren't, users aren't, we aren't (hence the 3 patches so far), it's a largescale open world military simulator, name one similar game that has been released in the flawless form you apparently expect? You can't, probably because there is no parallel when it comes to the scope and scale of ArmA2. Some stuff works great, some stuff doesn't work so well, some stuff has already been fixed/improved, further stuff will be fixed/improved as time progresses.

Sure, constant and exagerated whining is not helping either, because simply put, very fast nobody listen to it anymore. Like I said, when coming, again and again from the same person in the same fashion, it simply becomes background noise. "Let the guy whine, whatever be done he won't be happy"

You're achieving the opposite of your goal