Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ArmA2 1.03 Impressions - ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

I personally do not like the campaign at all.

Bohemia seem to have tried to fix something that wasn't broken to begin with. The operation flashpoint campaign was pure adrenaline pushing awesomeness. I loved it to bits! Amazing!

Then arma came out, and the campaign almost made me vomit. The same goes for arma 2 to be honest. The singleplayer element just feels no where near as good as flashpoint ever did.

You have to wonder, there is a very good reason why arma 2 has much worse reviews compared to cold war crisis. Please bohemia, if you make an expansion make it feel like flashpoint. That game was amazing!

Because that's where I think I'd be in the end, in the infantry, not the marines, not the SF, nothing special.

Marines or infantry, i dont mind, but the original CWC, where you started out as a fresh faced recruit was brilliant. That's what i think of when somebody mentions flashpoint, not the island, but the fact you were just a grunt, a small part of a larger army. The missions where you went in as a member of a squad, and had armoured support, were just fantastic.

This SF nonsense is just to generic, and i see it as a cop-out because its far easier to make.

Edited by Mr Reality

Oh shit I forgot to mention something.

Don't you guys thinks that the campaign has less action and violence than... Armed Assault? Or many other war games?

Maybe it's because of this Recon business but it just occurred to me. I hardly ever used my gun. I was mostly driving around the beautiful countryside doing errands for the army and trying to keep my team alive.

Maybe it seems like that because in the previous games I also played as a pilot, a commander in a tank, as a foot soldier, a recon unit, a prisoner etc..

That's true for me, so far - you mean it doesn't get more intense later on?

Am I just commanding 4 SF all the time for the entire campaign? Bah!! I wanted company sized battles like old OFP!!!!! :mad:

Tell you what though, I will get my £25 worth even if I *DO* have to create my own bloody missions. Just find me a beach, let me put some guns at the top of it add a few LSTs dropping some troops off .... and wahey - Omaha landing!! I'm easily pleased.

If I can't get that working I'll look at the shipwrecks. Or make a "zombie rabbit" mission where 1000s of rabbits attack a human outpost.

Can you see I'm clutching at straws and trying to delude myself that I was justified in buying this game? :D

Maybe I should try MP and see if I can get anything from that.

Who knows what pressure BIS was under to release, their not exactly prolific in releasing games...

Yes, I think unfortunately they did not have the proper time to test the single player campaign.

Yes,all in all, I understand them.

Let's wait for the right patches !

I have asked this in another thread , I would like ppls opinion though......is anyone here able to handle some of the 'large' missions , with a lot of action, command based ones with decent fps. I have a I7 reasonable card and am only getting mid 20s cannot deal with less than 30fps. I hope that patches might help ?

Don't count on a patch to magically gain FPS.. The problem is the Engine it's built on. In real sense, this is 10 year old engine that already is "patched" to death. I finally got a video card (260gtx) that will play crysis on higher settings at 50fps and this same rig gets 20-30 fps on graphics that are not even in the same league as something like the crysis engine even with no AI present.

What you can do, is turn off shadows, set everything to lowest settings in advanced except texture (leave on high) and set the resolution to your monitor's native.. then get a playable frame rate and just forget about having nice looking graphics.. This will at least make the game playable in some areas (not all)..

Forget I ever insulted Arma2: it has no competition.

I just checked out OFP: DR and its just an arcade game like Crysis/ COD4. BIS, take your time, iron out those bugs. I'll wait. No alternative!!!

Have a laugh at the opposition here.

Forget I ever insulted Arma2: it has no competition.

I just checked out OFP: DR and its just an arcade game like Crysis/ COD4. BIS, take your time, iron out those bugs. I'll wait. No alternative!!!

Have a laugh at the opposition here.

This video definitely looks arcadey, but don't you think it's likely that maybe he's just not playing it at a very high difficulty setting? Don't diss it completely because it looks slick and too easy, hell if it's good or even decent we all benefit right?

i dislike the campaign its just boring and not very intenseful, i very much liked the flashpoint campaign, hell even the ArmA campaign did better than ArmA 2, but ever since i reached the 3rd mission on ArmA 2 its just boring its like im being forced to complete it no joke, i don't find it very enjoyable. Something which was'nt missing in OFP or ArmA 1 Campaign. BIS should'nt of taken a different direction...

This video definitely looks arcadey, but don't you think it's likely that maybe he's just not playing it at a very high difficulty setting? Don't diss it completely because it looks slick and too easy, hell if it's good or even decent we all benefit right?

I won't go offtopic, but any game where you can get shot 3 times without dying or collapsing wounded and use medikits.... not quite OFP is it?

Not saying OFP is realistic or anything, because it's not, but I like to use cover, apply strategy and cunning, not just charge Rambo-style into a base!

This game looks more like Far Cry or Crysis... those types of games are not really my cup of tea nowadays, I'm jaded with that format.

Maybe OFP:DR will be freeform like its predecessor, but the video implies its the new COD

I just got the game tonight. I finally broke down and got it of steam. Once i got into a game, we were doing a coop mission with about 20 guys. Great team work all around. This is my first try with the sim shooters, and i love the realistic feel and just over all tactical play. Now i see what all this talk is about. :) It was just cool to see everybody working together as a unit, and executing orders. I swore for a minute i felt like i was in the war, i was so into it.

Is it only me, or after 1.02 (compared to 1.01 beta) UAV stopped to make dives and automatic locks on targets? This seems fine (no tree crashes), camera stabilization and mini-map are very nice too, but now I have problems with acquiring targets for missiles: In Manhattan, I'm circling above some armor and can't make UAV to stably lock on them. I'm trying to use "Reveal target", "Change target" or "Lock/Zoom", but UAV acquires (red brackets around) and very quickly looses targets on its own (so UAV “sees†them, just doesn’t lock), no matter what I press, and even when I'm not using any buttons. Once or twice I managed to lock on an immobile tank - I had green square mark around, then green circle (still no dive!), fired missile, splash one T72. Nice, but how this square mark first appeared - no idea, I cannot reproduce it.

Anyone has had experience with this kind of UAV behavior in ver. 1.02?

What are the proper keys/UAV position to lock on targets?

Yeah I get this too. Spent all day trying to get the thing to work, but it seems the UAV will only lock rarely. I'm wondering whether it will only lock when there are no structures between you and the target. IE, it will not lock up a target if you are firing a missile over a house or similar.

I also seem to be unable to get the laser targeting to light up. Probably a separate problem.

just wait til BIS get's it optimized and some more mods/missions start coming out; it'll be like a new game ;)

I hope optimization will increase fps by say 25 %, Id be quite happy then. At the mo im restricted to infantry only missions, and small scale ones at that.

I hope optimization will increase fps by say 25 %, Id be quite happy then. At the mo im restricted to infantry only missions, and small scale ones at that.
Well IMO that's what this game simulates the best. So you're eating the dessert for breakfast :icon_smile:

at 25% increase added ontop of a more stable framerate would be very nice.

It shouldnt be impossible apparantly...ARMAs framerate was vastly improved im told. I am aware the engine is getting on though. What does real virtuality 3 allow over and above 2 and 1? ?. Il be honest..I was expecting a bit more of a leap from OFP , let alone ARMA. It feels like a high res prettier version of flashpoint. No bad thing.

just wait til BIS get's it optimized and some more mods/missions start coming out; it'll be like a new game ;)

It's already flat out awesome. Yes I'm having trouble getting my team mates in the campaign to do what I want exactly but they're still better than Ghost Recon teamates.

Miles just got wasted..I'm in the warehouse in Elektrozavodsk. This is an epic game. Whatever it's flaws, the industrial areas of Chernogorsk are superbly done, very atmospheric. I love this game.

i had say +50% for one :o

I'm disappointed. I soooo much wanted Arma 2 to be great. I wanted the emersive, realistic combat sim that COD, BF2 and others could never to be.

Instead I paid $50 for an incomplete, buggy beta copy.

I've suffered texture lag and crappy frame rates. I've watched the AI do absurb things (like driving a column of tanks into a dam and sinking them). I've seen NPCs that have the amazing ability to walk through solid objects while others get stuck behind the smallest of objects. I've watched my support helo crash into trees and buildings while seemingly unaware of the clear field I am standing in. I suffered error messages to apparently unlinked files when I call for support- and I've only been playing for a few days.

I've tweaked and tinkered. Tried different settings and scoured the intraweb for help. And while this may have improved frame rates, it doesn't help with the broken bits that ruin the game experience.

I've heard the cries of "wait for a patch" and "Arma 1 was buggy too". But that's not the answer. This game should never have been released in this state. Some of the issues, particularly with the AI and collision detection are so glaringly obvious that the developers must have been aware of them before release.

Users shouldn't be expected to pay to test the game for developers and the community shouldn't be expected to fix the bugs. I accept that there will be some problems with a game and patches will be issued, but this is beyond any boundries of acceptable. Some of the problems seem so broken that its hard to imagine a patch big enough to address them all. If this was any other consumer product the market would have returned it on mass.

Anyway thats enough ranting. I will however toil on because I want Arma II to be great, I want the game I thought I was paying for. But for now I guess I remain disappointed and frustrated. :banghead:

welcome to the party my friend. get a drink, sit down, and enjoy the shenanigans of what arma 2 is all about...

However, don't you dare say anything bad about the obvious, huge problems the game is riddled with...there's fanboys all over this forums.

Watch them call me a troll now...lol. I'm a trol...lol. Yeah ok.

welcome to the party my friend. get a drink, sit down, and enjoy the shenanigans of what arma 2 is all about...

However, don't you dare say anything bad about the obvious, huge problems the game is riddled with...there's fanboys all over this forums.

Watch them call me a troll now...lol. I'm a trol...lol. Yeah ok.

You asked...

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.[2]"

I've heard the cries of "wait for a patch" and "Arma 1 was buggy too". But that's not the answer.

-----

Anyway thats enough ranting. I will however toil on because I want Arma II to be great, I want the game I thought I was paying for. But for now I guess I remain disappointed and frustrated. :banghead:

Well, is 'the answer' to give up the game and continue on the forums to whine about how it didn't meet your expectations right off the bat? Or is it to toil on being disappointed and frustrated, and NOT accept the game getting better through patches?

Like many others, you seem to WANT to be frustrated and not accepting any future progress. It's now not perfect. Accept it. It will get better. Accept it. This is a different way of development then you are use to. Accept it, BIS supports and listens to the community like few others.

Sorry Eyetumor, I no longer feed the trolls, they are in it for the attention.