Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ArmA2 1.03 Impressions - ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

you guys with your elitist view of this matter are the ones that could make bis go into bankrupcy.

I agree this game should leave itself in the gameplay aspect, but it needs much better optimization to reach the big public.

Without big public there is no money, and without money there is no bis.

And without bis there is no more arma2.

If you dont comprehend such a simple business management aspect then i hope your work isnt anything related to economics.

This game already has an outdated engine, speacially physics wise, if they dont put their act together, in no less than 6 months, specially with the coming of the new gt300 from nvidia and the octo core processors from intel with dx11, this game could be done for good.

I bet the game already sold well, tbh

My first impressions:

1) The game itself is amazing! I am amazed at the scale of the maps and the number of units you can use. Planes, choppers, tanks, AND infantry? I wonder if you bit off more than you can chew, but hopefully you can get it all working well.

1.5) Although the map is enormous, I wonder if I will get tired because there are only really two locations. After a while, I know all the towns and locations like my own town, so it may all feel a bit too familiar and repetitive for me soon. I want to go on missions where I don't know the surroundings, but because I have been stuck on the campaign for so long, I now know the entire south east quarter of the campaign map like the back of my hand. When the mission finally went on to the next mission (Manahatten), I was mostly playing in locations that I already knew. Not a problem at the moment at all really, but I wonder if I will still enjoy it in a few months.

2) The performance is really terrible. I have C2D running at 3.4Ghz and an 8800GTX, winXP sp3, but it's very slow for me, even with everything set to medium, no post processing, no AA, and shadows set to off. That's at 1680x1050, lower resolutions don't help. View distance under 2000. Nothing running in the background. I hover around 25fps in the campaign. It's playable at that speed and it looks 'ok', but I really would hope for this to improve a lot so I can improve the graphics and get it running a bit faster. Just 10 more fps with a few options set to high and I would be happy.

3) There are some bad bugs. Choppers explode on the ground for no reason, game just ends straight back to desktop. Two complete sets of dialogue get triggered at the same time. Etc. Nothing that has really ruined the game for me though, although the Razor Two mission I think needs some tweaking because as I said in my other post, I explored the entire country side for several hours and never found what I was looking for and didn't even get a mission failed message.

4) Really need to get rid of mouse acceleration!

5) The objects popping up isn't very good. I get patches of grass and appearing right in front of me constantly, and trees right in front of me will go from thin to very thick all of a sudden. It looks really strange and it really takes away a lot of immersion. I also find that the textures on buildings struggle to load sometimes. Sometimes I will land in a town and as I run through the town, a few of the buildings will look like cardboard boxes. Then my frame rate goes to 1 and the game hitches and then the building textures load.

6) The campaign is really cool. I love how the mission have multiple objectives and they are interesting ones.

7) The armory is really fun. I love playing with whatever I want but most of all I love when the missions come in to evade and whatnot. The only thing is that it's a shame some of them are so short. For example you only have to evade for 3 minutes, I would love to be able to play a full mission where I have to evade and escape for a full 1 hour mission. Maybe these can be made though?

8) The difficulty balance is perfect. I love how it's quite realistic but it's not really tedious. So taking just one bullet will knock you down and make you bleed, but you at least have a chance if you can get a squad member to give you first aid. I love that. I love that you really have to travel, but I also love that they gave a 4x time speed boost so that it doesn't get boring.

9) Overall I love the game itself and the gameplay. I just hope there can be some polishing. Some bug fixes, get rid of mouse acceleration and the objects drawing right in front of me, and get a lot of performance improvement. I think with all of that, it would be the best game I've ever played.

Edited by voodoochile123

The games increase popularity if they have a friendly mp, with all that elitist coop crap and the poor graphics compared to dx11 in december we will see.

Multiplayer in Arma2 is what people make of it. If most servers are running coop, that's obviously what the majority of people are playing. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of Evo or Domination myself but that's why I've joined a large scale PvP community.

About the "poor graphics"... I don't know about you, but I play on very high and the graphics are beautiful. But whatever, I guess it's a subjective matter.

As for DirectX11 - that's a completely new and upcoming technology. What's your point?

Here's that 'elitist' fad word again. This community generally tries to move the gameplay beyond casual in many cases. That is uncomfortable to some people.

There are a lot of servers really into this game that have high standards of conduct and expectations of player performance. This really makes the game environment we've had developed for us shine like none other. There are, typically smaller, servers that are simply for goofing around and having fun, but when you have 50 or so people just 'hanging out' and blowing stuff up, it's not all that exciting, and most times is damn frustrating when you want to get something done, and some nub has taken the helo or truck you needed and crashed it for the sake of 'wow that's cool'.. There all types from pick-up games to ones that if you don't respond with a 'yes sir' you may get booted. Explore.

I've been playing this game for two weeks now. I was pleased from start and am even more so no. ArmA2 is what I always wanted OFP to be back in the good old days. I play on a low end system and just love it. Now I can finally make the missions the way I want them to be. No addons required :)

I made a teaser video for an upcoming release, due for Beta test within a few days:

. Enjoy!

You can shove your insults up your ass.

Either you ran it everything on low or you are full of shit.

I guess those people helped bis not to go nearly bankrupt and therefore rushing arma1 and releasing it in such a lackluster state.

The games increase popularity if they have a friendly mp, with all that elitist coop crap and the poor graphics compared to dx11 in december we will see.

Because the same crap was said for Arma and noone plays that game, period.

If you read what I wrote Dlc there was actually no 'insult' made. Your computer truly has something wrong with it - I have a I7 920 stock, 4 GB DDR3 and a 1GB GTS250 - I get no less than 27 fps in a complex mission, in the editor, 40 plus is the norm, perhaps low 30s in a heavy fight. You have a less powerful CPU but a more powerful GPU. But even with a good dual core you should not be getting catastrophic fps like 4/5.

Christ this game is divisive !

If you read what I wrote Dlc there was actually no 'insult' made. Your computer truly has something wrong with it - I have a I7 920 stock, 4 GB DDR3 and a 1GB GTS250 - I get no less than 27 fps in a complex mission, in the editor, 40 plus is the norm, perhaps low 30s in a heavy fight. You have a less powerful CPU but a more powerful GPU. But even with a good dual core you should not be getting catastrophic fps like 4/5.

Christ this game is divisive !

Your cpu is much better than mines whilst your graphics card is not so much worse than mine.

Dont quote me as if your hardware is worse, cause it is not.

GRRRRR!!! Arma2 IS unfinished - I am fed up hearing that it is fit for purpose!!

Look, I've spent valuable hours of my life inputting bugs into Dev-Heaven and using FRAPS to capture them on video, its time for the fanboy self-delusion to stop(...)

I hate when people call me fanboy. You just don't get the point.

A fanboy is someone whos blindly supporting his game/company whatever the cost.

But for me BIS did what I was expecting from them.

IF they had removed the mission editor, I would have spit on ArmA2 (no doubt)

IF they had removed or restrained the modding possibilities, I would have spit on ArmA2

IF they had made major compromises about the realism, I would have spit on ArmA2

For me those stuff are the backbone of BIS games, not the graphics, the physics or the fact they release a bug free game.

And the FACT is those features are here, improved.

So from my point of view I see no reason to start whining.

I don't care about the graphics, since Im playing BIS games, Im running them with very low settings. It was the case for OFP, ArmA and now ArmA2. I just don't care, I didn't bought those games for their graphics (Im playing on a laptop : C2Duo @2Ghz, 2Go Ram and a Geforce 7600 (!!!), every settings on very low exept textures (normal) and aniso filter (low), shadows are off, res :800x600).

Of course I'll never be able to do a massive 1000 AIs battle, but to be honest I don't care, IMO those massive scaled battles just looks like a big run and gun, absolutely no tactics exactly what Im trying to avoid with ArmA.

Richie if you read this don't take it personal, I've loved your vids but I see them more as a technical demo rather than what ArmA can really offer.

My rig does not allow me to play online. So since I got the game (3 weeks ago) all what Im doing is SP : the campaign and mainly the editor. And I didn't notice those huge problem with AIs, Im not saying it's perfect but my AIs do follow the roads, my AIs often act smart (way smarter than ArmA1).

It is true that in every single mission I can observe AIs doing dumb things but usually it's not ruining the game. I've done several videos with planes, choppers and tank, no major issue occurs with the AI, on the contrary it impressed me several times.

You call us fanboy, but what about the never happy players ?

When a games got delayed they're whining "aaah, why did they announce a release date if they knew the game was not going to be released at that date".

If the game comes in time or sooner :"aaaah, it's full of bugs, I want my money back".

As said before, patches are free, just need to be patient.

BIS will improve the quality of their game just like they always did and because they know otherwise they will lost a lot of players.

All they ask is to wait a few weeks/months.

And with what ArmA2 offers from the start I have no problem to give them that time.

Again, excuse my local english.

Edited by Macadam Cow

Hi DLcmdr

I have 25 FPS plus with most setting on high except in the the city of Chernogorsk.

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3

2.50 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core

4Gb of Ram

Radeon X1950 Pro 512mb

It sounds like your settings are incorrect can you post them up in the Troubleshooting section.

Kind Regards walker

BloodnGuts....Im always impressed by people who can take lower performance and still enjoy the game to its fullest. Makes me feel 'greedy' for wanting more fps ;)

If you can, you need to save for a gaming rig, build one maybe, - do overtime !

Yup, that's the plan Cartier90 :wink:

I hope I'll be able to build a new computer by the end of the summer.

But, hey, ArmA2 isn't awfull with low settings (I've posted a vid in the appropriate thread if you want to have an idea), I was playing ArmA1 with low settings too so I really see a difference :D and I didn't lost too much FPS,

of course in big cities my FPS drops badly, I just avoid them :p

Yep I bought the game when it came out, couldnt wait to play it. Now that I have, I have to say and I do this with a heavey heart, its a bit rubbish. The only major thing I can see thats got an overhaul is the graphics, wonderful scenery if your PC can handle it and then MAYBE.:confused:

Just soo fed up with the crap AI. I mean who here has not been shot between the eyes from AI that have xray vision at 200ms in a heavily forsested area, while your laying prone.I've read lots of peeps having probs aswell.:mad:

Awful weapon and vehical interaction animations. Almost no improvment from ARMA.Come on BIS pull the finger out with this one.

The sound effects, improved from ARMA...yes...by alot...NO.Hands up whos using VOP sound mod.I know I sound like a pissy bitch.But it will pass and as soon as the BRILLANT modding community are let loose,then THEN, this game will be fecking sweet. I'l see you all in a year or two:rolleyes:

I have to play the demo and low settings and I don't mind it too bad. It actually probably reminds me more of OFP than anything else which is a good thing.

I agree in so much as the old magic is back but it's still the old magic.

I would've liked more work on the animations, avatar control (fluidity), squad control, inventory, sounds and physics. Plenty of attention has obviously been spent on the graphics but you can't blame any developer for that. It sells. The ai I like. I gave up on ARMA very quickly because BIS seemed to have gone backwards from ofp and I'm mostly a sp and coop player. The (sometimes) micro movement, the covering and the suppressing is what is making me want to play this game at the moment.

If BIS have spent alot of time making the scripting, modeling and mission design more powerful and flexible then in my eyes ARMA 2 is a success. It's all behind the scenes stuff that won't be obvious at release but it's been ofp's trump card from the start. Only time will tell.

I would've liked more work on the animations, avatar control (fluidity), squad control, inventory, sounds and physics.

More than they already did? All of these things were much improved for ArmA2.

I'm gonna reply to this one like I do to the other threads that say the SAME THING.

:o:

^^That violin should be smaller, but eh nothings perfect.^^

Speaking of X-ray vision from enemies,anyone noticed how in night missions,enemies with no NV goggles can hit you with one shot from about 50 metres away & still attack with full daylight confidence?

Im enjoying this game a lot,but theres definitely lots to be changed & modded to get it right!

I'm starting to feel the same kind of.

But for me its mostly tied to the game-mode i play the most, because it's the most interesting for me, and it's not an official BIS one.

I really want to love this game, but there's so much crashing, server-crashing, or other sorts of bugs going on on a regular basis that it becomes more annoying everytime i try to get back to it.

I fed up with performance of Chernarus, but...

I'm having lot's of fun with mission wizard using Utes map. It really makes some interesting simple missions. I mean you don't have to have shitload of tanks and rpg:s in every mission. These kind of infantry patrol missions with just small arms & beautiful gfx is satisfying also.

Performance in Utes is wonderful compared to Chernarus. Running minimum of 30fps stable with almost maxed details & PP high.

Edited by Potatomasher

I definately don't feel anything like the OP. :)

Yes, AI's X-ray vision is annoying, so I just lowered its accuracy to compensate until BI resolves the issue. Works great.

Yes, it would be nice to have even better graphics, sounds, animations, whatever and also being able to run it on Pentium 2. It's just a wishful thinking though, you won't be able to enjoy any game if you are thinking like that.

The game is great and works almost perfectly fine where I need it to - coop MP missions. No crashes or other "gamestopping bugs". Maybe campaign is bugged, I don't know, haven't tried it much, but all the coop MP missions out there will provide me with so much enjoyment that will allow me to wait for when the campaign is fixed (patch 1.10? :)).

I guess, my points is that some negative aspects of the game's current state can be either avoided or minimized. However, if the result is still annoying you and you don't enjoy the game in its current state, by all means put it on a shelf and wait a year. Just don't announce it to the world like anyone cares that you don't like sound in some game. Hehe, every freaking game has its share of "the game is not worthy of my time" drama queens.

Edited by Stridergg

:o:

^^That violin should be smaller, but eh nothings perfect.^^

Binkowski Give me back my miniture violin now

adios amigo

More than they already did? All of these things were much improved for ArmA2.

You can't say the inventory is much improved over ARMA. It's basically the same as OFP. I remember seeing shots of ARMA (then game 2) where the concept was to have a space based open grid and weight. Instead I'm still reloading disposable rpgs I cant pick up when I've got a SAW, being restricted to one rifle and making a tough and inexplicable decision about whether to carry rifle mod grenades or pistol clips.

My av goes from prone to standing behind sand bags under fire because I went too close to a crate. I have to aim and maneuver at ladders for longer than I do the enemy for a 1km shot.

The list goes on and on and so could I but there's plenty of people doing that already and I'd rather play. I'm not moaning about these things because I learnt to deal with them years ago. They didn't dissaude me then and they don't now.

Look. I know this game is huge. I know that in terms of the scale and scope its way beyond other games. I just think that Arma II was released to early - and that disappoints me.

BIS has to make some money in order to pay the developers to fix those defects, or else BIS (and ArmA 2) would not exist.