Sign in to follow this  
max power

WIP: Stuff you are working on 2!

buldozer2010-11-1117-23-50-45.jpg

Now all I need to figure out is how to UV map, make it shoot, among all the other scripting stuffs... :confused:

Grenade launcher with custom ammo?

Abs

Well, yeah. But I mean I know NOTHING about making a weapon, other than making the model itself...

Hell I don't even know how to UV map yet... :icon_rolleyes:

There's some good UV mapping tutorials on the forums, and on OFPEC. I do my UV mapping in 3ds max with another program...so I can't really be much help there.

As for the weapon setup, just take a look at the arma1 example models. For the most part, it's just copy and paste. Also, look at brsseb's tutorials...they are for OFP, but give you a good grasp of the basics.

Good luck!

Abs

I've been looking at tutorials, so far I think I have the muzzle positioned right, but other than that, I can't say. I'll do some more tutorial browsing and then ask if I can't find anything.

Also, the M41a and the Dropship are just the tip of the iceberg, I plan on doing a whole host of other weapons and vehicles from the UCSM arsenal.

http://www.armaholic.eu/vilas/vil_apc_a2.7z

maybe instead of working on doubled addon it would be better to cooperate on whole AVP mod ?

it is addon of USCM, M41A, Smartgun, P70, wheeled APC... released nearly 2 years ago

maybe better co-work on one good mod than doubling existing things (example that you make M41A mesh (if you made it) and not know how to UV ?)

i offer cooperation

http://www.armaholic.eu/vilas/vil_apc_a2.7z

maybe instead of working on doubled addon it would be better to cooperate on whole AVP mod ?

it is addon of USCM, M41A, Smartgun, P70, wheeled APC... released nearly 2 years ago

maybe better co-work on one good mod than doubling existing things (example that you make M41A mesh (if you made it) and not know how to UV ?)

i offer cooperation

I've actually had that pack for quite some time, it's the reason I started to make the USCM stuff (ArmA1 quality doesn't stand up to ArmA2 and there are some continuity errors with your models, no offense.). So far, I've only worried about making the models as accurate, efficient and pretty as I can. I planned on learning things as I went, right now I have a lot to learn and I'm really looking forward going neck deep in it.

And yes, I did make the model, I've been posting WIP shots in this thread over the past week or so, I'm quite proud of it. :p

I'd love to get some one on one help, I'm pretty self sufficient once I know what I'm doing (When I actually work, that is.) So far, most tutorials have proven confusing at worst and a slight help at best; UV mapping falling into the former category. I'd really like to take this venture as an opportunity to learn, and get a kickass faction as a bonus.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get some help from you, and other addon-makers for that matter. Well, frankly, I need it because tutorials are difficult to understand some times. I was planning on doing this project on my own, at least until I find out that I cannot do something no matter how hard I try, how many tips I get and how many tutorials I read, then going the way of RKSL where I find a person dedicated to, save for example, scripting. (Which I may need beyond the configs.) But I at least want to step up to bat and give it a try first. :)

Arma1/Arma2 difference in quality is mostly due to new shaders - not models itself

models are not changed - look at BMP2, AK74 - it is the same, but new normals (NOHQ, SMDI) make it look different (new RVMAT in general) , it is not a matter of Arma1 model

also high polycount is not visible in game but visible on CPU and GPU and memory use

rifle which has 2500 or 12000 poly looks almost the same when playing (third person view), but put on mission 100 units and you will see difference

but it's up to you, if together mod (AVP) would be good or separate addons of rifle or units (YAC textures, the same guy who made Unsung units) with lower poly rifle

i have APC (to improve), units of soldiers and mid-quality weapons, you have mesh with some errors of shading (soft edges for example on some parts) and not know about UV or as you said config

and i "love" people speaking about errors in my models (i downloaded some addons and i seen some bugs but i don't point it by name), specially when i look at some other units, mods and i see wrong texturing or shadows bugs (head shadows, torn apart shadows resulting weird artifacts) or lightning bugs (not working shadow on some parts)

current USMC pack could turn into AVP pack (as i see Predator here in wip :) )

Edited by vilas

I understand that the only differences were the super-shader and normals. I was saying arma 1 ports don't stack up against the often refurbished arma 2 models. It's a fact, that even you admitted. :)

My M41 has less than 1500 points and faces respectively (1294 points and 1446 faces) (and my dropship, so far, has less than 2000 all around (1783 points and 1876 faces)), FYI. I think it's important to keep poly count as low as possible, it's an interesting and fun challenge to make it look like there are more faces than there really are. (I did this all the time in source with my level design, as faces are a finite resource in the long run.)

I wasn't talking about the models being made improperly for ArmA, I was talking about them being different form the source material. The sight channel on the M41, for example, is too wide; it seems like there is no taper going from the middle of the gun to the top. (See linked image below) Don't get me started on the rest of it. :p It's nothing against you, I just have a ton of references for just about everything (246mb of images dedicated to the USCM, .pdfs and what not) and can spot little details a mile off.

http://alienscollection.com/behindthescenes/aliens/cast/aliensbtsfrostsmall.jpg

I am a purist when it comes to replicating something, and I feel the only way I'm going to get exactly what I want is if I do it myself; and that is why I must respectfully decline a joint venture for the time being. :)

As for the AVP mod. I'm not too keen on AVP. I love Alien, and I love Predator, but the series have gotten out of hand, on screen and in game. I've lost respect for it, and both the Alien and Pred story-lines get butchered by the merge. (Just my 2 cents)

Also, ammocrate, because the default ArmA crates don't fit my theme. :rolleyes:

buldozer2010-11-1202-39-11-82.jpg

As for the AVP mod. I'm not too keen on AVP. I love Alien, and I love Predator, but the series have gotten out of hand, on screen and in game. I've lost respect for it, and both the Alien and Pred story-lines get butchered by the merge. (Just my 2 cents)

Finally, someone else who thinks the same. I wish that never the twain had met - it just turns stupid.

Finally, someone else who thinks the same. I wish that never the twain had met - it just turns stupid.

Not just you both guys think that...

Love the chopper Vilas! It looks so "useful" :)

A colleague of mine said he heard that there were some serious problems with Sokol. Have these been sorted out in RL?

Gnat;1788214']Bugger the police! I want 1 ingame for me to speed around in ;)

Seeing I just bought home my new vRS yesterday :D

skoda2.jpg

Love that chopper Vilas.

oh you lucky bastard. *drools*

Love the chopper Vilas! It looks so "useful" :)

A colleague of mine said he heard that there were some serious problems with Sokol. Have these been sorted out in RL?

octavia is a great car in RL :D great to drive

Ah, Fox, read the post again. :p

And Pufu, that is some insane level of detail.

Taking a break from BMPT this weekend....AO + Wireframe (3000x2400px) - 426K HP version

image 1

image 2

Oh very nice - but you missing the "AK button" on the back and the part of sight - i guess it is still a wip :)

btw if you want good ref pics look here > http://foto.mail.ru/mail/photoshooter/?page=4

Edited by RobertHammer

Oh very nice - but you missing the "AK button" on the back and the part of sight - i guess it is still a wip :)

btw if you want good ref pics look here > http://foto.mail.ru/mail/photoshooter/?page=4

Cheers, i already had that link :)

Yes, the AK button is yet to be done

Taking a break from BMPT this weekend....AO + Wireframe (3000x2400px) - 426K HP version

mr pufu,

i noticed u mentioned ur BTRT (bmpt u kidder :p :p :eh: ) in the WIP thred. howevr it wuld apear that it has become a futuriztik wepon of some kind. iirc the btrt has large canon(s) and treds. plz correct this immeds.

cordially,

:confused: