Sign in to follow this  
_Cappa

ArmA2 Media Blowout Twitter Q&A

Guest RKSL-Rock

Unless "3D editor" means something else i am not aware of I'll keep saying this. The editor is INDENTICAL to ArmA1. There is no VBS2/RTE functionality at all..

I've spoken to other people who were at the 505 press event with me and no one saw anything new in regards to the editor functionality. When I asked the BIS guys about VBS2 features they both said "the RTE editor from VBS2 isnt included in ArmA2"

Edited by RKSL-Rock
typos

Thats sad to hear, but i just think its not yet included...

IIRC, on the german Press Event at the end of March they said that they have a 3D Editor for Arma2, but its not sure whether it will make it into the initial release or in a expansion-pack/future patches...

Together with the answer from this 505 guy at twitter it could still mean that there is a chance for this.

Guest RKSL-Rock
Thats sad to hear, but i just think its not yet included...

IIRC, on the german Press Event at the end of March they said that they have a 3D Editor for Arma2, but its not sure whether it will make it into the initial release or in a expansion-pack/future patches...

Together with the answer from this 505 guy at twitter it could still mean that there is a chance for this.

3D Editor to BIS/505 guys means ArmA1 style editor!!! We had this discussion at the press day. I've explained that. There are no plans to include a VBS2 style RTE either.

I've already explained the twitter confusion twice already. They did not realise what was meant by "3D Editor". They assumed you meant it was the ability to preview missions in 3D.

Seriously. I am not speculating. I was there. I asked these questions and heard the answers myself.

Edited by RKSL-Rock

I believe you :)

Ok so thats a small disappointment, but I guess we will live.

Its really cool to hear about the grass remaining flattened when trampled, so that you can use it to prepare a sniper position by moving around, or track people. I remember someone suggesting this on the BI forums, clever guy/gal whoever that was.

Its also surprising to hear about the multiple injury scenarios. I was only expecting a dumbed down wounded-revive thing, but it now seems like we will get almost an ACE mod quality wounding system with morphine and bandages etc.

The third thing to rock my world as a BI-fanboy today is the infinite randomly generated area beyond borders of the map, as mentioned in this video info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKXj_Cy-zks

I really don't understand how that works... so you can just fly 100000kms and parachute in on some randomly generated terrain?

In an MP scenario, wouldn't the server then have to sync the extra 100000kms with everyone else? :confused:

Hi tomcat_

Interpolation relies on placing objects where you think they will be from past data. In other words best guessing. It has cost in terms of client processor and a netcode cost in terms synchronization. The synchronization errors increase with distance.

Which is better:

Interpolate the position across 30 to 100 clients only to have to post synchronization corrections to those 30 to 100 clients every time their is a lag error, which leads to desynch?

Send the real data with occasional lag?

Please bare in mind synchronization errors increase with distance. That is why we have view distance on servers in MP set lower than in SP. Edit also be aware the mission maker and admin can allow certain roles to have increased view distance while the rest have the lower view distance good clients for this are fast jet pilots, AA units and snipers

PS I am great believer in time out server freezes for really bad desynch but players need to be told.

Kind Regards walker

with the danger of just slightly deviating from the thread...i would say that this is an interesting point of view..

however, although not a programmer, i'm finding hard to believe that with all this processing power warping cannot be resolved..

According to BIS they want to appeal in bigger gamers base...so by making someone think that the game is warping..is not really help...and unless you dig deep you are getting really discouraged....

I really don't understand how that works... so you can just fly 100000kms and parachute in on some randomly generated terrain?

In an MP scenario, wouldn't the server then have to sync the extra 100000kms with everyone else? :confused:

Not if they're generated locally using a seed given by the server. Same seed = same terrain generated. The seed itself is very small and there would be almost no data that actually needs to be transfered (payed for by having the client do the work itself).

Could also make for some interesting possibilities once we now Chernarus inside out (entirely appart from what we get from future addons and our devoted map makers like opteryx). Even something simple as setting up a mission close to the border of the generated terrain might be fun. Even better if you could determine the seed in the mission file/editor and thus actually work with it, placing units and so on on the generated (but known, thanks to the seed) terrain. Or my speculating is entirely off, who knows... ;)

Guest RKSL-Rock

The third thing to rock my world as a BI-fanboy today is the infinite randomly generated area beyond borders of the map, as mentioned in this video info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKXj_Cy-zks

Its not a fantastic as you may think. The version we saw wasn't anywhere near as impressive as it sounds. Jan from BIS did say they were working on making it textured, smoother and more random but the terrain outside of the island build shown to us was just an extension of the edge profile. Anyone who has VBS2 will know what i mean. I think ArmA2 would have been better served with the island actually being an island.

Edited by RKSL-Rock

Guest RKSL-Rock
Much like Opterxy's terrains?

Yes. But to be fair Jan from BIS did say they were working to give the auto generated proper areas textures and some "random features" prior to the 505 release.

...however, although not a programmer, i'm finding hard to believe that with all this processing power warping cannot be resolved...

Hi tomcat_

It is not so much a question of computing power as the question of bandwidth. As I said in SP we can get away with longer view distances. While Mores law says computers keep getting faster. Mores Law does not affect bandwidth. And even if bandwidth started to double each 6 months you would still be up against the speed of light.

The problem is synchronization, ensuring all players and the server and through it all non player group AI see the same thing.

And with each increase in distance you are cubing the amount of data that has to be sent.

Kind Regards walker

Yes. But to be fair Jan from BIS did say they were working to give the auto generated proper areas textures and some "random features" prior to the 505 release.

Sounds good, I hope it gets implemented. It would be pretty neat if it were seed based, either randomly or by mission maker. In any case, if it does get implemented randomly it'd make flying off map a lot more interesting.

If they can get the texturing of the randomly generated terrain right, then they can also use masks and clutter to make randomly generated forest (Tree Clutter) and maybe small settlement (House clutter)...

any idea of what the specs were on the demo machines, and what OS were they running.

Guest RKSL-Rock
any idea of what the specs were on the demo machines, and what OS were they running.

Yeah its all included in the review article about to be published at ArmAholic.

We're just going through the formatting now. Keep checking the site tonight and it will all be there.

Nice ! I hope you'll share your opinion on the flight model.

That was a really informative preview, thank you !

Sounds like ArmA2 will be even better than I expected.

Argh, now I will have to buy the German version too... :mad:

A great comprehensive article there Rock, thank you for that!

"Yes. But to be fair Jan from BIS did say they were working to give the auto generated proper areas textures and some "random features" prior to the 505 release."

Regarding the progressive terrain, it was a valiant and daring thing to attempt by BIS. Removing themselves from the island concept to wrestling with the concept of infinity. It's something that boggles my mind certainly. Kudos indeed.

Hey looks like the 8800/9800 will be able to run it on highish settings after all.

A great comprehensive article there Rock, thank you for that!

Regarding the progressive terrain, it was a valiant and daring thing to attempt by BIS. Removing themselves from the island concept to wrestling with the concept of infinity. It's something that boggles my mind certainly. Kudos indeed.

And a shared infinity at that, bravo. Yes, thank you Rock, and Foxhound. You brought, as you stated, the 'feel' into words as any detached journalist couldn't.

Guest RKSL-Rock
Any ideas about AI seing through smoke? That bugger still there?

Oh yeah i forgot this gem! Jan and James both told me the smoke dischargers/grenades do block the AI vision. No more "bug"!

was the sli question answered at all, I might have missed it in all the media releases.

Bascially does Arma2 support Sli and Xfire?

Cheers

Southy