celery

Is ArmA better than OFP?

Which game is better?  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Which game is better?

• Armed Assault
    • Operation Flashpoint
    • I haven't played both of them

Some people don't think so and I want to know how many there are. I'll gladly read explanations.

It's the same only more so :) what's not to like?

IMO, if you liked OFP there's no reason to not like ArmA more. However, I'd be interested in hearing from people who do not.

The only reason I might say my OFP is better is in the way of addons, I have more "interesting" addons for OFP than for ArmA generally. Like the Turkish Union stuff, very interesting addons like those.

it think the main difference is the single-player campaign in ArmA is pretty weak compared to OFP...but other than that I think it's better in almost every other aspect. Also there's mods coming out bringing the OFP campaigns to ArmA, so that fixes that problem

Both games share the 'rough charme' as they were a bit buggy right after release. They also were patched over the years and became better and better.

The 2 advantages ArmA has over OpF is that

1. It was developed with community mods and multiplayer sessions in mind

2. It appeared to be more optimized towards usage of Direct3D features, like shaders etc.

As a platform for making addons and missions, I feel arma is better. More options are available to mission and addon makers to make compelling content. (Join in progress, better network code, improved vehicle and infantry simulation & addon abilities, new scripting commands, etc). Almost all of the enjoyable content for Arma has been community generated, whether single player missions, multiplayer game modes, or addon packs. ArmA has the potential to be a better game than OFP, but out of the box it is not.

As a *game*, Operation Flashpoint was better. It had a tighter and more exciting campaign, better single missions, a unified theme and atmosphere, and more responsive and intuitive controls.

I voted for Arma, but as a mission maker, I'm thinking of it more as a platform than as a game in itself.

Join in Play made OFP ArmA better :butbut:

Debatable :P JIP caused horrendous lag right up until 1.15

Originally Posted by SWAT_BigBear

Join in Play made OFP ArmA better

Debatable :P JIP caused horrendous lag right up until 1.15

but without experimenting and sorting it out we would not have a decent JIP for BI's future products :)

Kind of a loaded question. I think that back in the day, OFP was better. Compared to ArmA, though, I don't think it stands up. It really depends on what kind of criteria you're using.

there are only 2 things that OFP did better than ArmA

engaging single player campaign(s)

tank interiors

CWR solves point one, and there is not technical reason why point two cant be accomplished, other than no one has made a tank interior mod

despite what people say, ArmAs campaign was not bad. each mission could be quite entertaining, just there was nothing binding it all together. no people to identify with. plus there was not the same variety of missions in ArmA as opposed to OFP. ArmA was pretty much all straight forward combat missions.

Granted i could never get past that one mission where you have to defend the airport because it always caused my processor to melt

OFP vs Arma >

OFP better Arma worse:

singleplayer missionmaking (camera in editor, no suicide engagement, not god knowledge AI)

less colisions between vehicles moving in column (here in Arma i prepared some missions, but were not released cause for 4 tanks moving in convoy in forest road, one was always pushed off road and upside down)

on some PC horrible graphical problems, and working only on some patches, on some not

OFP worse Arma better:

Arma holds more units, Arma has many turrets on vehicle, Arma has swim ability

it is idiotical when someone compares that Arma is better graphically ... Arma is 6 years after OFP so it must be better, we should compare game to it's time of release and other games of that time

many people turned back to OFP in 2007

for people playing MP probably Arma is much much much better

for people who love SP missions, probably OFP :)

I voted OFP 1 the better GAME.

SP missions and Campain was much better then those in ArmA.

As a MP platform without (BIS-made) content ArmA is of course the better choice from pure technical point of view.

Edited by S!fkaIaC

I don't know which to pick...

By better, do you mean which was the best game, in its own time?

Or which is better now, as in which one would I rather play right now?

First one is OFP, second one would be ArmA.

OFP came with a great campaign, and the expansion was even better. You could enjoy it immediately, in singleplayer. Good story, fun missions.

ArmA had a relatively boring campaign and missions. Out of the box it was a boring singleplayer experience.

Not to mention the annoying problems the early versions had, but thankfully it was patched up.

But right now, I haven't found anything more fun than a good MP game of ArmA with the ACE mod :cool:

how can u compare a game of 2007 with a game of 2001?

how can u compare a game of 2007 with a game of 2001?

You can compare it with the FUN you had with it...so OFP-R wins :bounce3:

Would have to vote ofp being a cti player. When i first started playing ofp and maps like ife cti. mfcti. crcti i loved the game and enjoyed playing it everyday. I dont get that same filling with arma or playing warfare

But of course arma is better then ofp in other ways like handles more players has jip etc but i enjoyed playing ofp more and people i know still play cti on it like 10 vs 10 games

The question is quite simple. Which one would you rather play, in other words, which one is better. How a game compared to its contemporaries is irrelevant because the poll is only about OFP and ArmA.

Arma is to OFP what Vista is to XP.

Not ignoring the many things that were improved it still broke a lot of OFP features and still to this day has elements that are rather half-finished.

As a MP mission maker (A&D,Coop,the odd silly mission) besides the nice and very large scripting improvements (The "publicVariable"-stuff is godsend , so is the mentioned new .sqf functionality) I can not really create any sort of new mission types despite the fact static JIP (selectplayer,setplayable broken , assignment screen static) was introduced.

For many people ArmA is , and reasonable so , an improvement over OFP , but for me who liked to play MP missions where humans lead AI squads , I wasn't able to do much in the past 2-3 years , because it simply isn't fun.

If I am honest I also very much miss WGL. No mod/addon in ArmA has even come close or even attempted to come close to that so far :(.

Edited by lwlooz

Oh, lets not forget the number one reason as far as I was concerned when ArmA was first released - TrackIR support. If OFP had TIR support I'd still be playing as much as ArmA :)

I have enjoyed played OFP. I have played OFP alone in SP missions and campaign, I have discovered mission edition a bit alone. Afterward I have discovered MP games with OfrP, FDF and CSLA and it was great.

What I enjoy more : OFP Campaigns and Coop missions with with OfrP, FDF and CSLA Mods. What I havn't enjoyed : no join in progress, graphics a bit outdated.

I have enjoyed playing ArmA and still enjoying in coop, PvP and all kind of missions. I believe the game is beautiful, the landscape, the sky at sunset... really beautiful. I went back to OFP to play in order to remember the feeling of the old game but I found it ugly graphically. The Campaign in ArmA was "the" big disappointment, but I will not go back to OFP. ... well I can still play some mission on Al Maldajah ...

After reading the first posts in this thread I downloaded and played the OFP-R single player demo. (Unfortunately the link to the CWC-demo did not work for me and a google search did not produce a result.)

Even today this old demo could produce a very strong feeling of immersion - despite the old graphics. This feeling was not much different from the feeling I nowadays get from playing Arma. I guess it sounds weird, but with this in mind I have to say that both games are equally good. As a result I ordered a copy of OFP GOTY which I will install on my notebook along with ArmA. I guess I won't actually play it very often, but like Old Bear I may fire it up once in a while for nostalgia.

Right now I am looking forward to the releases of CWR and Project '85. Playing the old missions in the new engine seems to be the best choice. And maybe we will both OFP and ArmA1 in ArmA2, one day.

Its really difficult since back in 2001 I did'nt have a reliable internet connection so never played mp, and was really drawn in to the various SP campaigns and missions. On the other hand, I am one of those who rates graphics in games because more vegetation and other real life objects in game help with immersion and pull me in to a game. Just load some old OFP converted maps to Arma and compare.

So Arma gets my vote overall, though newer technology and broadband etc play a part as they enhance the experience for me and a MP Coop game with ACE mod can't (in my opinion) be bettered. It looks like Arma2 will continue this growth in reality; I just hope everyone can get decent framerates on their systems.

cjph

I voted OFP, reasons being:

The single player campaign was better made

Multiplayer was a whole lot more fun

Arma was more advanced in a lot of ways, but also took steps back when it came to controlling your soldier which made the game quite sluggish and frustrating.

We lost a lot of clans and modding teams when Arma was released too, which showed the general opinions of the old OFP community.

If I am honest I also very much miss WGL. No mod/addon in ArmA has even come close or even attempted to come close to that so far :(.

That's true. ACE is a good mod but it does not come close to WGL (maybe it will in the future).

In a nutshell: Addon variety, AI behaviour, overall feeling - those are the points that made me vote Ofp here.