Sign in to follow this  
Pac

Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

If you read more correctly, you would have read he said the drum mag for the PPSH dominated in RO2, not in RO1, because the gun now handles differently then it did before.

The PPSH in RO1 was fairly exaggerated in terms of recoil etc, and in RO2 this has been put down to more realistic behaviour.

It did make me wonder though, that if a drum mag becomes a 'balance' issue, why would it only be an issue early on and not when people have unlocked it?

I suppose it has something to do with unlocking the MP40-2 for the Germans, as it has a double mag as can be seen in one of the latest screenshots.

I'm not a big fan of this decision for obvious reasons, but i can live with some additions like the MKB or AVT.

What disappointed me however was the adding of a silenced Nagant revolver. It simply has no place on the battlefield in my opinion, unlike the AVT and MKB which are still assault weapons.

A silenced weapon reeks of special tasks forces, which is not what RO is about. Still, i kind of trust them to not make it very silent, as silencers are usually more loud then people would like to believe.

Honestly, as long as there are no leaderboards, something that I hate, then I wouldn't care if its not balanced. If its realistic then all the better.

If they make leaderboards then there will be problems for sure.

Leaderboards are what drive the idiots who run around just for kills, hacking...etc.

Chicks dig guys with aweome K/D ratios didn't ya know?

well they have stat tracking, so I imagine there are leaderboards as well.

But there are always the "realism" servers without that bunk.

Doesn't mean the Cod kiddies won't check those outs as well.

I hate playing any game that has leader boards. Even though I know full well that it doesn't matter, it still gets to me. RO1 is fun because I can die more times than not but not care because its just plain old fun.

Its actually sort of rare for me to get a kill in RO (yes im that bad) but i still have fun. I can die 30 times on dog green or omaha and still have fun.

Play with bots = kills galore = still fun. ;)

bots in general are fun offtopic im doubting it but i hope BF3 has Bots in it like BF2.

good times.

and on RO thats all i did.

75% of the people who are kissing TWI's asses saying they are "super awesome and never do wrong" have all joined within the last 3 months and some haven't played more than a few weeks of RO ostfront...

I really don't have a problem with the path TWI has chosen and I'm optimistic it'll be a good game. But TWI is not beyond reproach. I've taken enough psych/marketing/history courses to learn that being a brown noser and reactive (as opposed to proactive) citizen is a piss poor way of going through life.

75% of the people who are kissing TWI's asses saying they are "super awesome and never do wrong" have all joined within the last 3 months and some haven't played more than a few weeks of RO ostfront...

I really don't have a problem with the path TWI has chosen and I'm optimistic it'll be a good game. But TWI is not beyond reproach. I've taken enough psych/marketing/history courses to learn that being a brown noser and reactive (as opposed to proactive) citizen is a piss poor way of going through life.

These same people attacked those that were the hugest fanboys of Codemaster's OFP: DR. The irony. lol

Well i havee to admit, i really only discovered RO-OST at the tail end of last year, i couldnt believe i had missed it. Anywayy in that time i have clocked more hours playing that than BC2 & BOPS combined.

I am really looking forward to the new game. RO gameplay but with COD fluidity, thats got to be win win. I really dont care about all these small issues people have with leaderboards and rankings. As long as the gameplay is sound, i for one will be playing for the enjoyment. If having leaderboards etc. attracts some of the COD kiddies then i say good for TWI, its more money for them. Such people i'm sure will tire quickly and will jump onto BF3 shortly afterwards. Leaving the rest of us in peace. :)

Of course, not wanting leaderboards because they take a little from the fun for some people makes them a cod kiddie. :rolleyes:

Not a good idea for the future of your business if you sell a ton of a product, and half of the customers give up your product after a couple months for something better.

Odds are those people won't come back the next time you release a new product...

So if you screw over your fan base year after year (which TWI wouldnt do) you loose business? My god.....

Someone should have told Activision..

COD Kiddie, is refering to these people who pick up a new game spends weeks bitching and moaning, calling you a cheat and a noob etc. Then they move on... I have nothing against COD for what it does, which is to regurgitate the same game, with a new face lift.

In very short spells its fun but i assure you any business lost because of these people in the future (well lets face it, it prob wont happen as these are the people who buy the "new game" just to be there). Wont be missed...

Edited by Shadow.D. ^BOB^

Let me clarify, the "cod kiddies" buying the game and then leaving after a couple months is what I was referring to.

They are marketing the game to them. If they don't stick around, then in a business stand point TWI has lost. If you cater to them and change the game up for them in lieu of your current customers, and fail to actually grab a decent market share then you've failed.

Those people aren't going to look at RO3 and be like SWEET I'm GETTING IT! They will be like, well I played RO2, and it was meh, I don't think I'll waste my time buying RO3. See what I'm saying?

I see what your saying but i'd argue that TWI arent marketing for the COD crowd at all, maybe just those who play COD out of lack of options, i for one fit into that category. Its ok to play, but i never play the game on my own only if a few clan members are on playing. Where as RO-OST, i will play for hours on my own. If by having the leaderboards attracts the kind of people who bitch and whine on COD then i say get the money out of em and let em give up after a month. With proper dedicated servers, you dont have to put up with the bitching. I would consider anything generated from those people a bit of extra income.

I would hope their market is more those people who are in between COD and ArmA. See the game fo what it is, but with a few added extras. As i say aslong as the gameplay is sound those kinds of gamers are going to come back and buy the next product. You may loose some sales in the future as you mentioned, but i'm sure once the quality of gameplay is known, you will get more sales through that.

Edited by Shadow.D. ^BOB^

Well the team president came out and directly stated to the community that they are marketing to the shoot em up crowd in multiple threads. They even stated that they created the box art with the intention of being eye catching to shoot em up players (german with face mask, with experimental assault rifle with attached scope and bayonet).

Their justification was "anyone who has already played RO1 will buy RO2" and that they should focus on market penetration.

I think their goal is to attract new customers into the realism side and prepare for a RO3 (by building up finances from extra sales to COD kiddies and expanding their customer base). But that brings up the question, does this market WANT to change? The 8 or 9 COD titles make a strong argument that this is not the case.

I think TWI is going through a period of some turmoil. Growing pains may be a better word. Do they stay a small company, making decent money? Or do they try and be ambitious and try to become a big brand and rake in the cash? Not changing is dangerous (See cornered rats software [ww2online]) but being too ambitious and falling on your face is equally as risky.

Edited by Montanaro

Looks better than OA's Boxart, to be honest.

It's staying true to the original box art on OFP: CWC. They aren't trying to copy COD/BF3 box art.

Looks better than OA's Boxart, to be honest.

And many miles better than Dragon Rising's and Red River's. :p

Well their moderators and a swarm of fanboi trolls who just now discovered RO2 after E3 have killed the forum.

Top threads: How many copies will you buy? Will you play MP or SP first? The game is Rated M for Mature. Who will be able to download from steam first? Will there be a demo? What stores are selling RO2?

Give me a plucking break, you could merge all that shit into one thread and I still wouldn't read it. Go to the suggestion forums and 90% of them are asking for cheesy crap like "Faking deaths" "Faking death screams" "Earning Tank Upgrades" "Flamethrowers" and "Surrendering"

You can easily deduce from the thread titles that A. Kids or simply ignorant adults have joined the community and have absolutely no competency regarding finding out simple information and ask pointless questions akin to "Who has got their first pubic hairs?!" and B. There is an influx of posters asking for features that have never been and never will fit into Red Orchestra's gameplay.

But to be fair, everytime a game nears release, there is always an influx of the derps. It happened for ARMA, ARMA2, and is starting for ARMA3. This too shall pass.

What was it before that time and what you describe here?

More talk about history and review of confirmed game mechanics for starters (sure there was some bitching, but it beats mind numbing parlay)