Sign in to follow this  
Pac

Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

Alright thanks Montanaro.

With history you mean real history and how is reflected in the game (realism?)?

To be fair for people never having played RO, it is not easy to discuss gameplay or game mechanics.

Yes, how it's reflected in game and sometimes it'll go off topic talking about history.

I'd prefer threads discussing what we see in the gameplay videos (good and bad parts) than threads asking if people are going to stay up all night on release day.

But alas, I'm sure it'll go back to normal eventually. 1 month until the game is released and I can crawl back into a hole (server) with the other realism rats.

Well their moderators and a swarm of fanboi trolls who just now discovered RO2 after E3 have killed the forum.

Top threads: How many copies will you buy? Will you play MP or SP first? The game is Rated M for Mature. Who will be able to download from steam first? Will there be a demo? What stores are selling RO2?..

Lol so true.

But the RO forum, even in its most 'adult' times, is still only halfway to discussing my preferred level of realism topics for the game.

Stuff like the weapon sway in RO, people thought that was great, while it was really really bad. Just a weird animation moving the model in random ellipses, and afaik the bullets didn't even go the actual direction of the barrel in the animations. Oh and heaps of subjects more they never really cared much for:

- Silly recoil on SMG's. So far removed from real life it's even below COD level.

- Proneturn 180 degrees on a whim.

- No limitations on where to prone.

- Weapons sticking through wall. Yes but that's a limitation of the engine. Nope, that's your limitation as a coder. Make the weapon model collide with the world, go from there. Take the same into account limiting where the players wants to prone and you've fixed the legs sticking through wall too.

- 3D audio commands in-game instead of every teammember hearing "I need ammo!" inside his head and then forced to switch to the minimap to see where that player is located. Wouldn't hearing his position in the actual game be much better Ramm? Nope.

- (Lack of) Bullet penetation. Don't get me started. In RO you can perfectly well survive a tank round behind a small wooden fence. No worries.

I can go on.. Fact is, RO's community would much rather discuss skins and tanks, endless tanks, which weapon is overpowered and needs to be balanced. Balanced yes. Because in real-life weapons are balanced to make shooting eachother fair.

RO2 will be a great game, filling a niche between COD and ARMA like someone above said. I wish the devs well. I hope they get a great community which we can all enjoy. I also hope someone will mod the game more to my personal liking and to that of most Infiltration gamers and Blackfoot's NORG mentality.

Edited by zeep

That's why I don't want leaderboards. I'd rather see the weapons be more real to life and "unfair" than balance it and have stats. Leaderboards in any game are just stupid. What's the point? Yet I still find myself annoying when my stats change, hence why I love RO1, I just play and have fun.

And I SUCK at RO. And having to unlock a freaking drum mag is fucking ridiculous. And dont even get me started on tanks or tank maps. I hate those with a passion. Not fun at all and no intensity whatsoever.

I just play and have fun.

This, absolutely. For me, Red Orchestra was all about the experience of playing the game and trying to stay alive, rather than who killed the most or even which side won!

I think what ruined Red Orchestra for me is what pisses me off the most about Day of Defeat: Source - once a guy with a MG plants himself in a good location he is pretty much unstoppable due to the stopping power of these MGs (especially in RO) and their accuracy. I just got tired of being torn apart by them.

However, when I'm not being torn apart by them in DoD:S, I can at least see that I'm hitting my targets with my normal weapons. I can't tell at all in RO if I'm actually hitting someone let alone doing damage to them.

Gosh Zipper, YOU JUST GOT TORN APART BY REALISM :P

DoD:S is sadly a really crappy attempt at making Day Of Defeat more TF'ish.

There was only 3 problems with RO.

Grenade spam (RnL for HL2 solved that), dull movement and CQB and sometimes, bs ballistics.

The answers are here (grenade and movement stuff), the question is whether they want or don't want to solve this issue.

Edited by JonPL

I guess that's a perfect example of how something being realistic may not result in good gameplay. ;)

For good gameplay I believe a properly lined-up shot with realistic ballistics from a high powered sniper rifle should be a one-hit kill. I do not believe that spamming at a target with a high-accuracy and high-damage MG should also be a one-hit kill.

I guess that's a perfect example of how something being realistic may not result in good gameplay. ;)

For good gameplay I believe a properly lined-up shot with realistic ballistics from a high powered sniper rifle should be a one-hit kill. I do not believe that spamming at a target with a high-accuracy and high-damage MG should also be a one-hit kill.

It's not as easy as you think to dominate with MGs... especially with the huge amount of grenade spam in RO.

MG42's are indeed formidable, but they are also cumbersome and and pain to move around with. Finding a good spot to emplace yourself ca be difficult when you take into account being flanked/naded etc.

It can be frustrating when someone is dug in but hey, i personally like the challenge of digging them out. Plenty of time spent scraping the belt buckle using any dips in the ground. The only really downside of trying to do things like this is the aged movement and animation used in RO. Another reason HOS is going to be sooooo good. Fluid movement..... cant wait.

Oh, one more thing Zipper.

Teamwork is essential - it gives them someone else to shoot at ;)

And as one of the guys that's usually low on the flank or behind everybody else, I can assure You that it works ;)

I kinda like fighting against MGs - You know where to shoot : ))))

I haven't played ostfront in a while but I've played plenty of Darkest Hour, and as an avid MGer I an assure you that MGing IS NOT easy.

Perhaps Darkest Hour maps have more room for flanking? I can usually work my way in behind a MGer if I'm careful.

MGs being dangerous is natural. Smoking their view is very important and is one of the main ways people avoid getting shot by my MG34.

Just remember there is bullet penetration in RO2. So if you see an MG in the corner of a window, using the wall as cover, you'll still be able to drop him unlike in RO1. This will certainly prove to be a new obstacle for my Machine Gunning skills that I'm sure I'll slowly adapt to.

According to Steam I played RO for 3 hours before I got too pissed off with it. All I see bullet penetration adding is further frustration as said MGs will now be able to easily hit you through certain walls.

I'll probably purchase RO2 out of support for proper PC developers anyways, but I don't expect to enjoy it.

According to Steam I played RO for 3 hours before I got too pissed off with it. All I see bullet penetration adding is further frustration as said MGs will now be able to easily hit you through certain walls.

I'll probably purchase RO2 out of support for proper PC developers anyways, but I don't expect to enjoy it.

Lol, I find that RO is a game you have to play for more than 3 hours to fully enjoy (like most good games). While it is more instantly gratifying than a lot of games I play, it is also one of the few games I can still enjoy even when I'm doing pretty terrible. Sometimes you have to work really hard just for one kill, but more often than not it's totally worth it.

When I'm doing bad during a round, I put on the bayonet and go poke people.

If I'm dieing, I might as well do something crazy and intense and try to get the fun factor back up.

Either that or I completely kill my tempo and slither around like a camping snake all the while creating conversations in chat to kill time.

Lol, I find that RO is a game you have to play for more than 3 hours to fully enjoy (like most good games). While it is more instantly gratifying than a lot of games I play, it is also one of the few games I can still enjoy even when I'm doing pretty terrible. Sometimes you have to work really hard just for one kill, but more often than not it's totally worth it.

This tbh, i get killed a LOT in Darkest Hour mod ( dont usually play RO vanilla) but never have i had so much fun in a game. The realism sometimes hurts bad. When you score that kill against an mg42 thats been ripping your team up its most satisfying. MG's are powerful .., but they should be, MG gunners never last long before theres a team effort to get rid of them ;).

I cant wait for RO2, if its half as good as RO game play im bouncing. In Country Vietnam mod may make me quit playing it though as im still traumatised from playing the game Vietcong many moons ago ;) Itll be hardcore.

This tbh, i get killed a LOT in Darkest Hour mod ( dont usually play RO vanilla) but never have i had so much fun in a game. The realism sometimes hurts bad. When you score that kill against an mg42 thats been ripping your team up its most satisfying. MG's are powerful .., but they should be, MG gunners never last long before theres a team effort to get rid of them ;).

I cant wait for RO2, if its half as good as RO game play im bouncing. In Country Vietnam mod may make me quit playing it though as im still traumatised from playing the game Vietcong many moons ago ;) Itll be hardcore.

Dude...I loved Vietcong..:)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/35450/?snr=1_4_4__13

Pre-Purchase Offer

Owners of the original Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 will receive the following:

• Pre-purchase now and receive 10% off or get 20% off if you already own the original Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45.
  • Day 1 unlock of the Kar98 and Mosin rifle bayonets:
    page_banner_guns.png
  • Special in-game item - Russian Guards Badge and German Close Combat Badge:
    page_banner_badges.png

Steam Digital Deluxe Edition

Steam Digital Deluxe Edition adds the following extras on top of the Standard Edition:

• Access to the final phase of closed beta before the August 30th launch
  • Day 1 Unlock of the Elite Assault Weapons (MKb 42(H) and AVT-40) and Semi Auto Sniper Weapons (SVT-40 and G 41(W):
    page_banner_Exclusive_guns.png
  • Team Fortress 2 German and Russian hats ("vintage" if bought during pre-purchase):
  • Two new characters for Killing Floor - Russian and German Soldier Re-enactors:
    page_banner_Exclusive_hats.pngpage_banner_Exclusive_soldiers.png

Out of curiosity, how come you (presumably) don't have a problem with this in ArmA? MMGs are basically one-hit kills there.

Wait so you have to unlock one of, if not the most simple piece of an infantryman's kit? Really? Well, I still have high hopes for this game but the released info has been such a buzz-kill.

I can understand having to unlock the scoped SVT or G41 or something but a bayonet?

So what? In few days or weeks you will have everything unlocked and the game will be a "normal" one.