Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

TrackIR 5 ArmA2 Thread!

Head tracking breaks fundamental Marine weapons handling and driving rules;

'Guns ’n’ eyeballs' (always keep your gun pointing where you're looking)

'Keep your eyes on the road'

So unless it is used very sparingly, it is quite possible that it actually reduces your chance of survival.

Not really true. There are countless situations in reality where you will have a need to quickly glance at something without pointing your weapon at it. Additionally, as the video shows, there are uses for TIR as a rifleman where you can still see where you're aiming, but your view is offset to the left or right somewhat, so that you can better see in the most likely threat direction.

This is great hardware and I'm really considering buying it.

I think this kind of hardware that succeeds in bridging the gap between the game and the gamer will pave the way to the future of games. Improved graphics and screen sizes do increase the interactivity and immersiveness of modern games, but control interfaces such as this serve as an integral step in blurring the game world from the real world. Which is awesome (I was serious with my post above about combining this technology with Nvidia's 3D glasses technology).

In the future, I hope these kinds of technology will become the standard. Nintendo realized that when they developed the Wii and hopefully serious gamers will realize that things like this will take them into the next generation as well. Moreso than the amount of cores you have.

Edited by Incognito84

Oh, so THAT'S where games will go now. I see. :D I thought, we already have almost life like realistic graphics, so where to now? :P

These interaction/immersion device have been having a go at breaking the ice into the mass market for years. I love it and I've always wondered why they never really took. Must have been 18 years ago when I went to a Computer exhibition at earls court in London and was playing in a VR system. This had a screen within a motion tracking head unit. the graphics to the games were crap but it didn't seem to matter as it all seemed very real. Kinda like lawnmower man.. Then I used a Large scale Digital mock-up head set from sony about 12 years ago that had lcd goggles and a motion tracking box you clipped on the back of your head for looking around aircraft mock-up's.. Nintendo have always tried this stuff... Remember the virtual boy and the virtual glove. The wii remote seems to be the odd one out in that it's really taken off.

I've had a few TIR and love it, Ordered the V5... But I foresee that high res oled/lcd goggles and gyro head tracking unit may come out soon that makes it redundant. :( for NP, but :) for immersive gaming.

Dslyecxi is there any chance you could post your trackir 5 profile so I could try it out. I was quite impressed with the video and decided (as I didnt have any other trackir version) to purchase the product.

The settings I use seem to be a bit quirky and so I would appreciate the profile.

Cheers

I believe he posted in this thread he was using the standard profile but upped the speed to 1.5.

I use the normal profile and set speed to 1 and works great for me.

(ofc he may very well be using a user profile for now but with the latest beta software aint had to tweak much at all here)

Dslyecxi is there any chance you could post your trackir 5 profile so I could try it out. I was quite impressed with the video and decided (as I didnt have any other trackir version) to purchase the product.

The settings I use seem to be a bit quirky and so I would appreciate the profile.

Cheers

It may be BS mate but I also think the profiles are kinda specific to the user and their setup.

i had everything working great and then swapped from a 21" to 30" monitor and had to redo my profiles and then I bought a nice desk and was sat a little further back and had to tweak them again. I guess position of your head to the seating of the unit has its effects.

After some testing in ArmA1, I've come to find that setting floatzone to zero yields the best playability for me when using TrackIR. Otherwise I sometimes get confused.

Has anyone else tried this?

After some testing in ArmA1, I've come to find that setting floatzone to zero yields the best playability for me when using TrackIR. Otherwise I sometimes get confused.

Has anyone else tried this?

I've always used no float zone in A1/A2 with TrackIR. Float zone seems pointless when you're using a TrackIR, at least for the way I play.

Okay, thanks for the replies. Nice to have my findings confirmed. :)

Maybe TrackIR noobs such as myself should have this pointed out to them, as I was finding TIR very hard to get used to until I finally had the idea of turning floatzone off. I was having trouble orienting myself because I could be running in one direction, the weapon pointing slightly off to one side and I could be looking off to a different direction. It was extremely confusing.

As soon as floatzone was off I immediately noticed the difference in playability and it just felt 100% more natural. ;)

Damn i really want one!

So would it really be a better idea to get TrackIR5 or can you just get 4 and do the same stuff?

I'm thinking of getting one used... because 180 for the clip and trackir seems too much for me.

I'm broke atm.

Damn i really want one!

So would it really be a better idea to get TrackIR5 or can you just get 4 and do the same stuff?

I'm thinking of getting one used... because 180 for the clip and trackir seems too much for me.

I'm broke atm.

I asked the same question further back in this thread but got no answer. Then I did a bit of research and I decided to get the trackIR5 after looking at the compare page on the site, I think the trackIR5 is a bit more future proof than 4 because of the higher sensor resolution. Although I dont think you would find much difference between 4 and 5 on a small monitor, i imagine that extra resolution would make a difference on a large screen.

I like the idea of TIR, but, do you get a stiff neck after a while?

Doesn't that help to prevent that by forcing you to move your head around instead of keeping the muscles in static stress?

I havent been using it for long but i cant imagine it would hurt your neck, unless perhaps you already have a neck injury, it just feels quite natural to me.

You needn't worry about neck problems. It's not like you really have to turn your head 100° to look over your shoulder in ArmA - head movement is scaled and fully configurable. You never need to move your head into an unnatural position.

In fact I think the head movements I make while looking around with TIR are probably doing wonders for my neck while playing. :)

I'm TOTALLY buying that when ARMA2 comes out! That has a huuuge coolness factor so I can't pass up showing this off at LAN parties!

Edited by Nowyoudie

Ive never had any neck stress or discomfort using it. When I want to change position in the seat, I simply hit the quick-key to recenter TrackIR.

Hi I was wondering what happend if you move ppositions in your chair to get compftable. What and where is the quick key? Is it a button on the sensor box mounted on the monitor or a keyboard stroke? Or would you have to alt+tab and change it.

Hi I was wondering what happend if you move ppositions in your chair to get compftable. What and where is the quick key? Is it a button on the sensor box mounted on the monitor or a keyboard stroke? Or would you have to alt+tab and change it.

It can be any keyboard key, you just choose what you want to use through the TIR software. All you do is press the key while playing and it recenters to whatever your current position is. It's really simple.