Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

TrackIR 5 ArmA2 Thread!

Dslyecxi is the usb on the track clip just for power? it look like it..

I think im going to mod it to make it wireless if so as my headphones are wireless.

That sounds like an awesome idea. really all you gotta do, since all the cord is doing is powering the LED',s is make them powered by batteries. Knowing me though, I'd break it.

Thanks for that extremely insightful video Dslyecxi, I myself have just ordered the TrackIR 5 Pro bundle (with your coupon of course :)). I was always curious about the trackIR before hand but could never really grasp the concept or even its usefullness of having one. After watching that video I was purely amazed at how surreal and immersive it can be to be able to turn around and look at your squad mates or even look around in a cockpit freely. So thankyou for that video cant wait till it gets here.

Just wanted to give my 2cents.

Cheers

I've got trackIR 4 and it works great. I thought ArmA 2 would use the 6 degree field but I haven't seen it. You can only zoom in, look side to side, up and down thats just like arma 1.

trackIR is awesome i use them for my air combat sims to, they work great is it worth it to upgrade to the trackIR 5, i have 4 and I just got them like 9 months ago

trackIR is awesome i use them for my air combat sims to, they work great is it worth it to upgrade to the trackIR 5, i have 4 and I just got them like 9 months ago

Think it really depends how you use your system, distance etc etc.. I mean im still using TrackIR3 and its never failed me and its use works no diff than what I can see with the newer ones.. But then I sit close to the pc as I would of thought most do, unless using a big projector etc I guess.

I should be taking the plunge this week if my back pay comes in to buy a TrackIR 5. I have a TIR3 but feel like it's time for a change as I'm getting a new PC, I don't usually change out my peripherals with each new system, but for TIR I will make an exception.

Hopefully I wont have to suffer on my current spec for too much longer (the PC, not the TIR3, which is still good). :yay:

Jamie.

Those are some pretty nice changes. Somehow I'd missed the update myself. Checking it out now, thanks.
Worth waiting for. TI4 is now usable with version 5 software.

P

TrackIR3 will be also it seems with the final release 5.1 :D well for the vector part update anyhow which is great.

I've got trackIR 4 and it works great. I thought ArmA 2 would use the 6 degree field but I haven't seen it. You can only zoom in, look side to side, up and down thats just like arma 1.

You can lean to the sides to.

You can lean to the sides to.

I can do that with TIR4, but in ArmA 1, it's not available in the helo's. ;)

Can I still lean and stuff without this Tracker thing? Can I still move my head independent of my body, look around inside vehicles (as in the Tracker vid) without this gadget, just using default controls?

Can I still lean and stuff without this Tracker thing? Can I still move my head independent of my body, look around inside vehicles (as in the Tracker vid) without this gadget, just using default controls?

Yes, the controls are pretty much all there, although you aren't as free as with the TrackIR. There is a free look button with which you can look around, but that means your mouse is occupied. There are also obviously buttons for leaning/zooming but they don't allow for incremental lean/zoom like TrackIR.

Incremental lean is especially useful for looking around corners without having to worry about exposing your whole upper body.

Another interesting thing you can only do properly with TrackIR is a kind of incremental crouch. If you look down with the mouse, your whole body leans forward, lowering your profile. While doing that, you can compensate with your head by looking up. This works both in crouched and standing positions, allowing you to take cover behind objects of pretty much any size between 2'-5' while peeking over them. Doing this exposes only a very small part of your head, so you are very difficult to see.

Of course you can do that with just the mouse and the free look key, but it's very clumsy because you can only control either your body or your head at the same time. TrackIR gives you simultaneos control over both.

Cool, thanks for the info man. The tracker sounds so cool, how much does one of these bad boys go for roughly?

It's about 150 US dollars for TrackIR 5. I'm about to order one later today.

About the TrackClip Pro, does it improve the tracking of the head significantly? It's 35 bucks for some LED lights which I'm a bit hesitant to purchase.

It's about 150 US dollars for TrackIR 5. I'm about to order one later today.

About the TrackClip Pro, does it improve the tracking of the head significantly? It's 35 bucks for some LED lights which I'm a bit hesitant to purchase.

For me, it was more a matter of convenience. The TrackClip Pro goes onto my headset and stays there - I've had it on my headphones since I got the TCP however long ago it was. Whereas with the normal TrackHat/Clip, you put it on/take it off each time you want to use it.

It may increase the tracking fidelity, but I have never tested that myself. To me, the convenience it adds is worth it.

For me, it was more a matter of convenience. The TrackClip Pro goes onto my headset and stays there - I've had it on my headphones since I got the TCP however long ago it was. Whereas with the normal TrackHat/Clip, you put it on/take it off each time you want to use it.

It may increase the tracking fidelity, but I have never tested that myself. To me, the convenience it adds is worth it.

What does TrackIR 5 come with? A little clip that does exactly what the TCP do? (<--wording sounds awkward)

I was hoping they sell this off of Amazon, but they don't. I just need a bit more research to confirm my purchase.

What does TrackIR 5 come with? A little clip that does exactly what the TCP do? (<--wording sounds awkward)

I was hoping they sell this off of Amazon, but they don't. I just need a bit more research to confirm my purchase.

TrackIR5 by itself is with the hat + hat clip. TrackIR5 "Pro" is with the TrackClip Pro, which is the active LED thing that clips to your headphones or whatever. They have the same eventual functionality (6DOF), they're just worn differently, and one (TCP) is active IR, the other is passive (reflectors).

Alright thanks for the details, I also do Flight sims, so this would definitely be a well invested product.

Yeah um think I'll give that a miss...as 150 USD is 300 bucks in my crappy NZD, too rich for my blood, but thanks for the info

Yeah um think I'll give that a miss...as 150 USD is 300 bucks in my crappy NZD, too rich for my blood, but thanks for the info

If you're tight on funds, you could always get a TrackIR4. They're less expensive at $100.

I used the TIR4 all the time in flightsims where it shines. Ive got the TIR5 now and i have to say i still dont use it 100% of the time in ArmA/ArmA2. I use it mostly when moving around and when stationary like laying down as it doesnt give you away like swivelling your whole body around to check the flanks etc. In close combat i still disable/enable it with a close handy key but i think with a lot more practise thatll change.

sold my TIR4 to another ArmA player :)

Swiveling your body around to see was only arma right not arma2? holding alt key now in prone and looking doesnt that work? Im sure I did that other night and it was a big difference.

is there a swiss retailer who sells track ir 5 ?

if i order online i will have to pay import tax and gst on it. also having a local retailer is much better in terms of warranty.

edit: nevermind, found it https://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/01-store/store-international-dealers.html

my french is just good enough to order :D

Edited by okarr