Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

It feels like Tiscali wanted to screw up the interest of BIS...this IGN preview is awesome, and remember the US IGN review wasnt too gentle to ArmA1.

Well you have to admit ArmA 1 was not as good game wise, as in campaign and hardware performance, compared to what OFP:CWC was. Hopefully ArmA 2 will bring back those old OFP feelings, which I miss dearly.

@ IGN Preview

Good to hear that it should run good on middle rigs :) We have to wait for more reviews with different machines so that we can clearly see what is and what's not possible for the most of us gamers.

Nice to see this community supporting BIS. Although Tiscali is on thin ice with this community, it wont effect them very much. Unless we all decide, on a personal level, to make sure everyone we know hears our plights against them. I am going on a YouTube spree later tonight to post my opinion on every video they post. If you haven’t read their response to Maruk… Please read

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5364

Maruk, you have every right to defend your “baby†all you want, especially when it is being misrepresented. In short, Tiscali can lick my balls...:bitch:

Sorry for the spam guys………

Regarding the C-130 and where it is capable of taking off from - Victor, the whole point of the C-130 in real life, is that it doesn't need a paved runway to take off or land on.

A C-130 can land in about 700 feet, as exhibited when it landed on an aircraft carrier. You can do rough field ops with it, and if you can carry cargo in the game, you could possibly land delicate supplies, like a HMMWV.

It would not be terribly easy, but with good speed and altitude management, you could land it in any open field.

Considering Tiscali put up pictures like this in their Arma1 review, we can safely assume their Arma2 preview pictures are broken for the same reasons...:

http://games.tiscali.cz/reviews/arma/x8.html

http://games.tiscali.cz/reviews/arma/x7.html

http://games.tiscali.cz/reviews/arma/x17.html

They definitely have something against BIS for some reason, unprofessional childish idiots if you ask me

Edited by GepardenK

I had the Czech version of ArmA when it was released and I must admit that I had those errors they show but only for a short period of time. I also had a fairly mid-range laptop at the time with a GeForce Go 7600 256mb, along with a Duo Centrino at 2GHz and it didn't bother me that much. It usually happened when first loading something in the editor or when you quickly moved from one side of Sahrani to the other. But it never stayed on screen for long periods at a time.

I do think Tiscali are quite bias towards BIS. To me, it looks like they deliberately created situations to cause those errors rather than letting the game run and seeing one pop up randomly.

Edited by Zipper5

Arma 1.0 was horrible. Screens you've shown are accurate.

Only accurate for a crappy PC.

In early versions I had some loading glitches that lasted a short time, but not like what they show.

And to make such glitches a major part of the review was very unprofessional.

Most review sites get the game running properly before a review.

Yea it was buggy as hell back then and I don't blame them for a low score. But the screenshots didn't reflect the game very well, that wasn't normal on a good PC that was set up properly.

Edited by Maddmatt

Agreed ! ArmA1 was/is definitely not a good game, let's hope it was only a rough copy of ArmA2...considering how many euros i must invest to buy a new rig to run ArmA2...:computer:

No, they are not. Those are screens from a game that’s not even finished loading. We will see the same thing in Arma2, but only for a few seconds at the beginning of each mission. It’s just stupid to post pictures like that in a review, no other site did...Also the aspect ratio is way off, these pictures are definitely meant to look bad

....A player will approach the aircraft in the Chernarus airport, load their cargo, take off, then while they are in the air they will be forced the land in the exact same spot - thereby making the plane, in effect, useless. ....

Ever heard of an air drop?

I'm puzzled...

Most of the new screens look worse than ARMA1 on mid settings...

Nowhere near the quality of the uber-sexy pics and the last videos I saw... And it seemed to run great.

The quality/density/range of the grass for instance is a mystery. It feels like 2 different games compared even to Dyslecxi screens.

Weird...

+1...

Ever heard of an air drop?

C-130s do not have 1 single purpose. BI even said C-130s can carry cargo. So if you think it through logically: You have an vehicle that needs moving. Well what do you do? Ah! Drive it up to the plane and put it in. Take off. Then land in the same spot to drop if off? If everything is paradropped these days in RL and we've just stopped dropping cargo off by land and switched completely to paradropping everything (even into friendly territory), I must be missing something. :p

Those pictures in the preview too were a bit disturbing. Considering the 8800GTX supposedly being on "very high" settings... of course by the looks of it, with no AA. Also, the icons for soldiers are stil wayyyy wayy wayyy too BIG.

Edited by Victor

New IGN preview:

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/974/974654p1.html

Since this thread is for press coverage, not bitching ;)

They also have a bunch of new screenshots which can be seen here:

http://au.media.pc.ign.com/media/958/958404/imgs_1.html

Hmmm... That was a preview with no salt in it.... and all those screens look like they have no antialiasing, so there goes the high settings with a 8800 GTX.

I really don't know what to think of ArmA 2 performance at the moment, as my ArmA is looking allot better then those screens in the previews. So... it means that they are not running at the highest settings? or that they don't have a fully capable version of the game?

BIS should really make an effort on making a few additional islands along the coast. NE, SE (Utes), and SW. Pluss a couple of other ones mainly for 'storing objects' on. The main islands can be used for custom games to act as bases for multiple teams. Like Domination Two Teams utilize Rahmadi and Antigua today, and how Parvulo is used for various purposes (boot hill for revive functions). Don't have to be much on them, but it could prove important that they exist.

Placing carriers might not suit every story. If they can even be placed that is and not part of the map.

Actually, you are slightly below average because of your VRAM and your CPU. You should definitely upgrade. See about this computer:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227135

Tell me if it's too much for the price, more-computer-savvy-than-me people, and I will revoke my link.

Atm I have no work so atm I can't afford it. Althought my parents owe me tons of money so whenever they feel like paying me back..

I have little question about night vision, after watching previews. Seems like there is 2 different NV styles in those pic like this: http://www.armaholic.com/pfs.php?m=view&v=4-arma2_preview_hrejcz_april_16.jpg and http://www.armaholic.com/pfs.php?m=view&v=4-arma2_preview_doupecz_april_2.jpg

One is like Arma1 style NV but other is more next gen style... Any Idea why they are different ? Does it linked with highest graphical settings/shader models? Anyway I like last pic style coz it's more next gen :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsfZ-Zw6Lsw

Now that's intresting! He's got more in his channel.

Edit: I haven't played OFP that much, but it looks OFPish in my opinion. (ArmA2 countryside (PC Dome))

Edit again: That sound engine gives me shivers!!

Edited by Ra!dar

What is the spec of "most PCs" these days?

Good question, although sparks50's post might be accurate. As the IGN article says, the game runs well on similar hardware so I take it back.

What I can see happening is people seeing the glorious graphics in the screenshots, finding they can't play the game in that quality, then coming to the forums to complain. I'm not a mod who has to deal with this, though, I suppose :o

EDIT: Thanks Ra!dar, looks interesting. I guess he's playing on a low difficulty- he seems to sprint everywhere.

Edited by SaBrE_UK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsfZ-Zw6Lsw

Now that's intresting! He got more in his channel.

Edit: I haven't played OFP that much, but it looks OFPish in my opinion. (ArmA2 countryside (PC Dome))

Edit again: That sound engine gives me shivers!!

Wow sound engine is really nice tho... Command voices are bit strange but yeah like BIS said they improve them in final version. Also bit bad that holosight not works as it should in preview version, i hope they will improve that...

From what I know Javelin scope view is totally different. And lael at copy-paste armaFP-view! (painful aiming, zooming 2000x, tiny ironsights)

(extreme fast reload animation there dude :D :D :D)

Edited by Raphier

From what I know Javelin scope view is totally different. And lael at copy-paste armaFP-view! (painful aiming, zooming 2000x, tiny ironsights)

(extreme fast reload animation there dude :D :D :D)

Well IRL it is very diffrent yes - but as you might now ArmA 1 and 2 does not simulate the entire "Javelin Experience"

For reference, I am asking this question myself since the world exclusive review (yes, that is correct!) of Arma 1 from them where they gave the game 55% score

Wait, are you saying that because you gave them the first review they should have scored it higher?