Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

I can see it now... A renegade BRDM-2 pulls up alongside the 6 o'clock express, blasts the doors off a secured car, and a bunch of NAPA guys jump in to get the strongbox full o' money! Yeah! modern day train robbery! rofl.gificon_rolleyes.gif

The ingame player actions (new found GC vid) look more crisp and controlable.

THIS will be a VERY cool game.. When did the release date get pushed back to? lol

It will be so cool to setup a mission with civilians all walking around doing their thing and trains(?) going by (just a normal day in life). But at the same time some insurgents have a soldier captured in a building. This is not during some huge war so civi's walk around not knowing this is going down. You gonna have to sneak around and avoid civis as much as possible. Get in - fight, and rescue the soldier without taking out any civilians in the process.

mmmmm this is gonna be super great. Especially as the civi's also seem more natural this time. As i understand it there is a logic for civilian population. So that will be easy to add without having to put them in 1 by 1. That should also mean that the civi's are randomly scattered around cities/villages everytime you restart? Hopefully.

smile_o.gif

Civilians still walking in the middle of the road though.. I foresee a lot of dead pedestrians in Arma 2 if they don't do anything with this wink_o.gif

Mr.G-Cs Feedback to vid/pictures (as usual):

- Overall Graphical Settings are rather sub-average compared to other footages we saw.

- Smoke and particles still go through building-parts/objects? That means rain in buildings again? Please no!

- Quality of Civilian Vehicles is rather sub-average compared to the high-quality of Military Vehicles.

For instance no visible new shaders, tires still looks like being made out of cement, etc.

And I could bet that we sill will see bad Arma1 rusty tires instead of flat-able ones like in OFP1. icon_rolleyes.gif

BIS can you maybe think about all the cool RPG-Missions which using mostly only civillian vehicles? Thanks!

I think its an overall problem that many new made vehicles kick-ass looking while the ported ones from Arma1 (like the BRDM and the Civillian cars) looking exactly like they did in Arma1.

Some good things though tounge2.gifbiggrin_o.gif :

- Trains (i hope we could board them as passengers tounge2.gif

- Walk animations of Police

To add to the to Cons.

-The lighting looks (as in all faction videos so far) looks imho, bad compared to screens (and gameplay vids before factions).

-No AA? Seems like sceneries are missing Anti-aliasing

-Graphics degraded? They seem overally less impressive than GDC08/screens (Church and Old grandma or that dog screen? Shopped screens huh.gif)

-No shaders visible, Character models are lacking "detail depth", something Military vehicles have.

----------

Yes blame me for expecting more

nener.gif

Well, recording a HD resolution video at steady framerate takes some resources wink_o.gif

I doubt BIS will follow Rockstar's "example" with not including AA biggrin_o.gif

Well, recording a HD resolution video at steady framerate takes some resources wink_o.gif

I doubt BIS will follow Rockstar's "example" with not including AA biggrin_o.gif

wink_o.gif That's sounds so irrogant towards the fact, maybe they're using deferred lighting.

Or if you're right, then, the game is either badly optimized or just simply they have shitty Pentium IV. (I doubt the latter two)

Also, the blur effect is bad :O, I coulda tell you, in screens the blur was smooth as silk...oh wait, shops  whistle.gif (I dislike photoshops since GRAW, made me buy the game and now I have post-trauma) help.gif

Yes, like the USS Bataan

Exactly. wink_o.gif

Just like in Battlefield 2! ...Ups crazy_o.gif

But on this game you don't just fly over the carrier to rearm. wink_o.gif

Yes, like the USS Bataan

Exactly. wink_o.gif

Just like in Battlefield 2! ...Ups crazy_o.gif

But on this game you don't just fly over the carrier to rearm. wink_o.gif

How'dy you know whistle.gif INSIDER, GET HIM!

Well, BI promised they would give us news every week right up until the release. Faction news now over, what else is there to show us next Friday.

Hmmm.. More screenshots, a new Video, or even some more info about the game, for example instead of faction info we have info about Chernerus. Maybe even a demo annoucement?

From the videos and screen shots we've seen in the past 6 weeks, the game looks pretty much ready, it probably is ready and right now BI could be fixing the bugs, or even shipping it, shipping the game starts about 2-3 months before release, if they hope to get it out by summer I have a feeling they would have started shipping it. Next week could be the release date!

Whatever happens BI promised us new info every week.

Quote[/b] ]ARMA II.com:

ARMA2.com will be updated with fresh news on a weekly basis, from now up to the time of release.

We'll just have to wait and see....time will tell.

Quote[/b] ]- Smoke and particles still go through building-parts/objects? That means rain in buildings again? Please no!

Errr...smoke doesn´t go through roof as far as I can see. Seems like particles now have a collision system, quite the opposite of what you say.

Quote[/b] ]no visible new shaders

Heh ?

The sec-cam footage is b/w. Unless you got a crystalball added to your monitor, you´ll not really know what global and object shaders are in place and working. I know where I´m coming from...I spent the whole day to create shaders for a current project. It´s a mystery for me how you can see it in a washy sec-cam footage in greyscale.

Quote[/b] ]BIS can you maybe think about all the cool RPG-Missions which using mostly only civillian vehicles? Thanks!

The ones you think about ?

I guess BIS have their very own agenda, a professional one.

I´m not pointing fingers at anyone now, but before you start fingerpointing it´s better to get your facts straight. Shaders are not meant to make something look ubershiny. It´s the textures and texture stages and channels that make the look. Global shaders like blur, reflection maps, etc are included in  the global channel of an engine that is rendering to the viewport while custom object shaders are object-specific to define specific materials, highlights and material depth. While it may be wanted that every object is rendered with a 3 or 4 texture-stages layout plus a unique shader it´s a really hard thing to get this to work in a game like Arma 2. For example a 128 KB jpeg tiled texture will end up with a size of 8 MB of gfx-card memory usage. That´s what I have learned when working with a 3D engine. Memory management is the crucial part with 3 engines today.

Keeping this in mind the distance of the sec-cam to the cam-target indicates that the LOD-management is the deciding factor. Objects rendered in the distance will never have the full detail-set as objects rendered in close distance.

This is only my basic knowledge from working with an up-to-date

DX9 engine for commercial purpose. If I´m wrong I´ll accept it anyime.

Nice new vid. smile_o.gif

So now the closed pages? Support, Guerilla and Attack!

I wonder what's behind those. smile_o.gif

Love to see diverse civilian body types. smile_o.gif

Nice new vid. smile_o.gif

So now the closed pages? Support, Guerilla and Attack!

I wonder what's behind those. smile_o.gif

Love to see diverse civilian body types. smile_o.gif

Support will most likely just be technical support and troubleshooting once the game has been released.

Attack and Guerilla?

No idea.

Attack could mean order/buy the game.

Guerrilla.. Links to the forum and dev blogs?

Guerila - it infiltrate our teritory(Hardisk) and fight with our forces(PCs)= demo?

Attack - it attack us, it unstopable = buying the game?

I doubt, but it would be nice smile_o.gif

I see attack has a link to developer now! I think that was added in just a few minutes ago.. Or perhaps we just didn't notice it until now?

Nah, it's been there for maybe a month at least.

Anyways, at 1:05 it looks like there's a rabbit jumping in the grass. Other than that, the smoke, and the train, this new video doesn't show much new footage. All well, the AI seems better at driving at least.

All well, the AI seems better at driving at least.

Yes, but finding the car door is still a bit hard tounge2.gif

Anyway nice vid wink_o.gif