Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

New video from OA maybe today, but rather later than earlier. Michal from IDEA is seriously busy right now ;)

Good to know :D

Nice find walker! :)

Awesome stuff there. Looks like they really have enhanced the infinite terrain.

Still no mention of a working 3D editor yet...

Yup nice find Walker. Like this a lot:

"Another area receiving attention is the black and white thermal optics simulation, which now behaves with a mildly OCD level of detail. Look at a soldier through your night-vision goggles and he'll glow white, but his cold gun and equipment would be much darker. As he begins firing, separate parts of a gun warm up, lighting up the barrel. An idling jeep would have a hot engine, but cold wheels, which warm up as the vehicle begins to move. It all makes night missions a much more intriguing prospect - sitting on a hillside a couple of kilometers away, peering at a base through night vision goggles, how are you going to find that target vehicle when the engine's been turned off and it's as black as the night around it."

^^ Yeah i know MadDog, but i thaught about "object count" wich is said to be lower in OA. But with infinite land + all vegetation and rocks etc object count to load up would be...infinite number of objects. :D

Thats how i imagined it. But maybe it would be handled in another way. Dont know tbh.

Couldn't this be done in a similar way the clouds are done? Dynamicaly appearing when a player is in it's "visibility radius?" There would only remain an issue of random placement of objects but this surely shouldn be that difficult to do... based on random seed, height, slope and density, probably... I don't understand the engine that much to know if this is doable or how much power would dynamic spawn/despawn of cca a few hundreds of objects cost, so feel free to that's-a-stupid-idea me... if it really is, I mean :p

There isnt somebody or some place where there is a gallery of all the released screenshots...?? Both thoose from preview and official...

They Really look as if they have enhanced the engine and the infinite terrain sounds amazing. The fact that they have removed the prospect of only following one team during the conflict sounds good, Arma II's campaign was ruined for me the most not by the gamebreaking bugs but by the one person story line. I just felt I was'nt getting the full picture of the war there.

New video from OA maybe today, but rather later than earlier. Michal from IDEA is seriously busy right now ;)

Do you have to ask for permission every time you want to release a video of the press preview build? That's kind of dumb.

Maybe there are planned videos etc that will come up on ARMA2.COM and they dont want everything to be shown prematurely.

Also maybe some features are not complete yet so showing them can have a negative impact as they are WIP. Dont know but i guess some of this is true?

Do you have to ask for permission every time you want to release a video of the press preview build? That's kind of dumb.

They probably wanna look it through to see if there's any glitches etc. in it to avoid a bithing/whining storm :p

Arrowhead is shaping up quite nicely :yay: well done BIS

And the previewers seem enthusiast too which is a good sign

Yup nice find Walker. Like this a lot:

"Another area receiving attention is the black and white thermal optics simulation, which now behaves with a mildly OCD level of detail. Look at a soldier through your night-vision goggles and he'll glow white, but his cold gun and equipment would be much darker. As he begins firing, separate parts of a gun warm up, lighting up the barrel. An idling jeep would have a hot engine, but cold wheels, which warm up as the vehicle begins to move. It all makes night missions a much more intriguing prospect - sitting on a hillside a couple of kilometers away, peering at a base through night vision goggles, how are you going to find that target vehicle when the engine's been turned off and it's as black as the night around it."

Indeed, the FLIR looks fantastic already. If we could see the ammunitions coming out of the rifles and cannons, it would be the cherry on the cake :p

Thanks all for videos, pictures and links !

^ cool, so this means dead bodies and destroyed vehicles will "cool down" over time, I hope.

I hope they work on the glare on FLIR for explosions too. In RL videos I have seen, they do get "white out" when an explosions happen but the FLIR exposure recovers very quickly.

Indeed, the FLIR looks fantastic already. If we could see the ammunitions coming out of the rifles and cannons, it would be the cherry on the cake

This would be amazing, seeing the hor Rounds flying through the Air.....

Maybe this could be achived by making all Rounds tracers when watching through FLIR

This would be amazing, seeing the hor Rounds flying through the Air.....

Maybe this could be achived by making all Rounds tracers when watching through FLIR

It shouldn't need to be tracers if you use FLIR, seeing as they both have the 'same' temperature tracer or not.

No I´m talking about how this effect could be achived. Normaly you don´t see flying bullets in Arma2. So it would have to be like the Tracers of the SAW, you can see them only with NVGs..

No I´m talking about how this effect could be achived. Normaly you don´t see flying bullets in Arma2. So it would have to be like the Tracers of the SAW, you can see them only with NVGs..
class B_556x45_Ball: BulletBase

{

hit = 8;

indirectHit = 0;

indirectHitRange = 0;

cost = 1;

airFriction = -0.001425;

caliber = 0.5;

model = "\ca\Weapons\Data\bullettracer\tracer_red";

tracerScale = 1;

tracerStartTime = 0.05;

tracerEndTime = 1;

nvgOnly = 1;

};

allInOne.cpp is your friend ;)

So it is possible...I wonder if BIS will implement it by default (Someone should tell them)

Mr_Centipede, real tracers are visible only from firing position. in other case mentioned firing position would be compromised. BTW, this is "press coverage" topic)

Mr_Centipede, real tracers are visible only from firing position.

Not true.

But as you say

this is "press coverage" topic.

I mean the hot Rounds flying through the Air should be visible with FLIR...

But you are right, wrong Thread

DM, k, my bad, tracers are clearly visible from firing position, but almost invisible from the target position.

Mr_Centipede, real tracers are visible only from firing position

This fact applies at least to german ammunition. That's for sure ;)

Cyclone (and others), I have no reason not to believe you, I am just interested. Could you explain how tracers work and how it is possible that tracers are only seen from the firing position. Someone said, only wearing nvg, even.