Sign in to follow this  
paragraphic l

SLX MOD public release

Now I can't decide wether I prefer XAM or SLX.

SLX has some really interesting features but it handles a bit more quake-y. I don't mind that, I think it would be awesome for people that can't quite get into the vanilla version.

In fact I am thinking of giving this mod a chance.

But the lag, sweet jesus, the LAG! That's the only negative thing.

Once more than two squads fire at the same time, there you go, lag hell.

Man I have to explore SLX a bit more.

I think I like what I see.

Yeah, I do believe it all smoke effects causing the lagging. Whatever you do, don't put three Mi-17 FFAR's on the map  crazy_o.gif Unless you like a fried computer :P

Running this on my Core2Quad 2.4Ghz(it only runs on one core anyway) with 2GB's of DDR and an 8800GTS only the FFAR's killed playability. By the way...

YouTube: <span style='font-family:Century Gothic'><span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:#695e4a'>SLX Release Trailer</span></span></span>

Vimeo Hi-Res:<span style='font-family:Century Gothic'><span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:#695e4a'>SLX Release Trailer</span></span></span>

Filefront Download:<a href="http://files.filefront.com/SLX+Public+Release+Trailer/;10093310;/fileinfo.html

" target="_blank"><span style='font-family:Century Gothic'><span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:#695e4a'>SLX Release Trailer</span></span></span></a>

Tested a bit, And these are my opinions so far

Good

1.Great tracers effects!

2.Great animations' modification

3.AI much more clever

Need improve

1.AI awkward

2.AI can pass through fencings and walls

3.Muzzle_Flashes not good enough

Thanks all the same, Keep your great work!

@fromz

When you say AI awkward do you mean overall or they way the move or what?

I haven't noticed the pass through walls or fences, I'll have to try that and report back.

EDIT: I was also able to walk through a wall. However, I only did it once and I wasn't able to duplicate it. Is there something specific you are doing to make it happen?

@twiggy

If you put the SIX UI in the @SLX/Addons folder you should get the smaller text and stuff. I don't believe the SLX mod messes with any UI stuff.

awesome mod so far, unparalleled Arma AI imo, and nice smoke effects that rival all of smoke effects out there

ne ways, i noticed a bug (i think). When using a pistol moving from crouched position to standing position your character holsters the pistol.

i was using with these mods: beta (1.12), QG, EBUD's sf replacement, Johnny's marines, and OFP Voices.

Quote[/b] ]Ok i tried it now for quite some time and tried to test a bit around....

Very great, adds a lot of features and the new animations are awesome! So mainly its amazing and great and so the list of bugs or things i don't like seems to be bigger, but in fact the thing which are great and i do like is almost 95%

Glad you like it, and you'll probably won't believe it, but you've probably just seen 5% of ALL the features biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]For example not all weapons have these great new muzzle-flashes/sparks or the m9Silenced is overall to slow animated (you can only fire every second).

I was not aware that not all weapons have the muzzle flashes, as you can read in the readme Solus actually disabled muzzle flashes and if you instal muzzle-flashes they will only appear on the set range of weapons. And with the M9SD I noticed that too, I will have to recheck the bug tracker as I recall reading Solus had a good reason for that biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Then not all Weapons have the new reload-animation in a quality like others.

There are no different quality versions of the reload-animation, some just don't have it and use vanilla animation

Quote[/b] ]Why is the GP25 auto reload?

Sorry no idea, Solus had his advisors but might have gotten wrong info about this one.

Quote[/b] ]Why do you see a "smoke-trail" at every fired shot (not on all weapons though - sniper m4 has it appearing farer away), this is as far as i'm aware of not realistic (i shot multiple weapons in my life, i also even shot the AR15 in the USA a couple of years ago, and i can't remember any smoke-trails at the bullets, still i know them from WW2 Air-Fight footages)

I might be thinking of something else, but I have no smoke trails I only see the bullet itself represented as a white dot. This probably is just a left-over from Solus checking the AI-Dispersion update for 1.11/1.12

Quote[/b] ]Then the Aimpoint-Dot i can see it outside of my M4 in around 270° of myself

Common bug when you try to visualize the floating point, AFAIK no add-on maker has found a solution

Quote[/b] ]But the biggest complain is that nearly all of the effects like smoke and explosions are such extremely big ressource-eaters whistle.gif Why not contact Maddmatt from ArmaEffects - i guess he can help you out with tips.

Solus has been looking into this problem since february last year, although it's not really present on my system we know it's there in MP. Solus isn't someone who just starts using other people's work, instead he want to know what is causing this and fix it himself... so it's still in there but Solus will most probably fix it.

Quote[/b] ]Through the effect of the FFAR Rockets, they seems to look bigger than the hellfire. Also their impact effect is way to overdone. In youtube you have a plenty of video to see how they behave normally.

Again, Solus has gotten advise from different people and I've seen some of the videos being send showing the FFAR and he actually managed to have it looking just like those.

Quote[/b] ]Enemy AI is shooting with their Handguns/Rifles at me even when im sitting in my Tank.

This should at least been reduced opposing to vanilla ArmA, yet AI will probably shoot armor if it's the only enemy present and they don't feel like fleeing just yet

Quote[/b] ]The Tracers are sometimes to slow when they passing you.

Sometimes the Tracers seems to get generated inside my body before fired through the weapon

Tracer problems seems to come up mostly when having a low fps, but it's know and Solus is still looking what is causing this.

Quote[/b] ]Sometimes the HE-Ammunition of the M1A1 seems to dissapear/no effect-no damage produced.

Could it be it bounced off? If it bounced and the weight is not set correct it will end up somewhere at the end of the island. Please report this in the bugtracker if you can reproduce it.

Quote[/b] ]Why is the AT4 still reloadable and not disposable?

The AT4 will be disposed instead of reloaded, but you are able to carry multiple AT's to keep playability... the moment the weight of these will come in you will probably choose yourself to only carry one.

Quote[/b] ]Where is the Grouplink3 you had in OFP times?

Still there but with a new jacket and grown up a bit? what are you missing?

Quote[/b] ]I'm a little confused about the installation. Is it better to use the SLX.bat or edit the target? I installed the additional two .bat's if it makes a difference.

Ok, I tried it and I'm having a major problem. After about five minutes of playing screen freezes for a second and I start getting major graphic glitches. I tried opening the mod both ways, but it hasn't helped.

The .bat is just a quick shortcut, if you open it in wordpad you get the same type of shortcut you use in the target line, there is not a better one just use what you like.

The two bat's will add some muzzle flashes and other stuff, have to check again what is added with Ca.pbo

Do you use any other mods? or just SLX? and what is going on on your screen before the glitch? never had this and is not reported by any of the beta-testers we had. Which beta version do you use? Might be that you don't have 1.12 and this is the problem you get then... not sure though.

Quote[/b] ]I have a strange occurance. All of the missions I've edited DAC v2.0 into seem to CTD and give the out of Memory error when using SLX. Anyone else having this error?

Not have had this one yet and other beta-tester neither, might be something you've put into it... try making a fresh mission with DAC and see if it still happens.

Quote[/b] ]The only problem for me is the missing voices!

Missing voices? Have you put SLX_NoVoice.pbo in Addons folder?

Quote[/b] ]One bug I did find. I started a mission as the SLX unit with the sword. I crouched and could not get back to the standing position nor did I see the sword. I tried cycling my weapons to get to it like with the knife but nothing came up.

The sword guy only appears in Armory AFAIK and don't think it's been touched since may last year. biggrin_o.gif Knives and Shovels are standard in the inventory for West and East units, probably Res to but haven't checked that.

Quote[/b] ]Oh, one other thing, can I use a different sound mod with this? If so do I have to remove any files from the SLX mod or just place it after SLX in the target line?

EXAMPLE: -mod=@SLX;Sounds

I just add the Sound mod behind SLX, but there is a SLX_ModWeapons_Sounds.pbo which you can take out to have ALL the sounds replaced.

Quote[/b] ]Also paragraphic l, is there any way to make the text on the targeting windows and chat boxes smaller? I was used to looking at Six Sense's small text and now it feels like I have the wrong screen resolution.

As allready mentioned by someone else, you can just use the 6th UI addon with SLX, but you have to load it as last.

Quote[/b] ]Also that tip you gave me about putting my weapon replacements at the end of my target line didn't seem to work.

Okay I will take a look at the weapons, can you give me a link of the pack you use?

Quote[/b] ]About using this with ECS. Doesn't SLX and ECS pretty much do a lot of the same things? What kind of things would be enhanced when running both of them?

They will at the very least compliment each other. You can turn of AI enhancements in ECS, ECS pretty much adds lots of atmosphere to the gameplay and does not cut down any SLX features As far as we know

Quote[/b] ]2.AI can pass through fencings and walls

This is an ArmA bug, AI continue their animation even though they move into a building. It's also a feature in the same time because you won't see AI getting stuck in between somewhere thanks to this. It's more apparent with SLX as Solus added side-straving and other animations

Quote[/b] ]EDIT: I was also able to walk through a wall. However, I only did it once and I wasn't able to duplicate it. Is there something specific you are doing to make it happen?

You might be able to do this yourself when with low FPS and might be able on certain buildings.

Quote[/b] ]ne ways, i noticed a bug (i think). When using a pistol moving from crouched position to standing position your character holsters the pistol.

Could be that Solus assigned the key for holstering pistol to a key you use for getting up. Not sure

Okay I hope I've cleared up some stuff smile_o.gif Thanks for all the great comments, Solus really did a great stuff as most of the things he did on his own! notworthy.gif

Does SLX work with DAC? Will the DAC units use DAC AI or will they also use SLX AI?

Not sure but I would at least expect GL3 still kicking in and enhance the AI. So it either uses ALL SLX or both combined

NOTE: You can turn of some of the AI features by extracting the SLX_NoManuever.pbo and SLX_NoSuppress.pbo from the extra folder into the addons folder. This will also give some performance boost but disables two of the coolest features in a large infantry battle

Great work, only from reading the shortened list of features I think I am going to call in sick again today biggrin_o.gif

Frontpaged at the Armaholic.com homepage.

The Armaholic.com download page can be found here:http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=3121

Terrific work! Thanks a lot for sharing this with the community!

This must have taken hundreds of hours to write o.O

I just had the opportunity to give it a quick test run and I'm very, very impressed!

Some (there's hundreds more, SLX is vast :) ) stuff I noticed

Effects:

- Smoke trails for tracer rounds only would be nice, and I'd really prefer DMSmoke in combination with MattEffects over SLX' concept. (No offense, just my taste)

- Most weapons have tracers enabled, for some reason (Mk12? Might be a mod conflict, I will let you know later on)

- The metallic spark effects are great but instead of SLX' destroyed vehicle textures I'd really prefer Sakura Chan's.

- I love the optical gyroscope effect on the M4 aimpoint, but I kinda miss Robert Hammer's high detail version so I'd rather switch back.

- Animations are great but sometimes a bit buggy (I somehow found my "eye" position next to my right knee, after firing a Javelin, putting it on the ground and moving forward - possibly a conflict with TrueMod, I will check it out later).

Gameplay:

- Did you change projectile velocities on some weapons? Seems a bit slow at times (might be the smoke trails, though, kind of a placebo effect)

- Lovely concept about the AI enhancements - it's reacting quickly and adds up very nicely with other AI add ons.

- Some minor things that have been discussed before (GP25,

- No measured hits on performance whatsoever (checked with FRAPS)

- Can some of the new menu and movement functions be removed on demand by the player? (Dragging ammo crates doesn't seem right, these things are huge and heavy; might also be good to have an option to keep ArmA as simple as possible for certain missions, as to maximize compatibility with other addons)

In short: Does SLX have a modular file design? I.e. can single features (not just .pbo's but also certain game scripts/adjustments/enhacements within single files) be turned on and off, like in ECS?

Sorry if this sounds too negative - don't get me wrong: I had to keep this post short and only write the "downside" points I found about SLX - if I went on to write why SLX is amazing I'd spend all day, hehe!

I don't have any more time of testing it further (just used up my lunch break) but I'll check back tonight!

Thanks again a lot for all the work - you got a great project going there! :-)

One question, do hummers still blow up if bullets hit it?

Absolutely amazing video, i cant wait to try the new SLX mod, wow, just wow.

Wall walking is quite easy to do in ArmA, just requires precise A-D presses while running at or near the wall, and it bugs out...

Otherwise, testing now, and its bloody fantastic. 9/10! thumbs-up.gif

Yeah, got some good stuff on our hands here. Though I can vouch for some significant slowdowns - try the campaign mission "Beaten Dog" (it's my benchmark for new mods) with SLX and then without. Quite a drop in performance comparatively, and my system is hardly low or middle end. smile_o.gif

But otherwise, good to see this kind of stuff coming out at last.

Great work, thanks!

However, since I am playing with other units a lot (primarily Vilas WW2) I would like to know:

- How can tracers be enabled / disabled per ammo /weapon?

- How can AI enhancements be enabled for other units?

Besides that, I also strongly opt for providing options for enabling/disabling single features or feature groups. ECS did this excellently.

Best regards

A.

Which pbo(s) add in the body armor effect? When I try to run a (modified) slx_wounds (dragging bodies and increased damage) by itself, the body armor effect is missing and every chest shot becomes a 1 hit kill.

Quote[/b] ]Does SLX have a modular file design? I.e. can single features (not just .pbo's but also certain game scripts/adjustments/enhacements within single files) be turned on and off, like in ECS?

I'm definitely not the expert here, but from what I've seen dissecting SLX, alot of pbos have interdependence on one another, and it takes a bit of work to cleanly extract certain elements without having weird effects pop up. Again, not the expert. Just going by what I've seen/modified so far. Hope OP can fill us in with more detail.

great job on the mod, but where can we get the 1/09 patch needed for this mod? all I saw was a beta patch that didnt work..so... help please whistle.gif

great job on the mod, but where can we get the 1/09 patch needed for this mod? all I saw was a beta patch that didnt work..so... help please  whistle.gif

The 1.09 patch is a beta too.

If I read correctly this mod works for any version 1.09 or higher.

You can find all patches listed here. (I know, I know smile_o.gif )

When i load the game through my shortcut or bat file i get an error saying

Quote[/b] ]Addon 'SLX_ModVehicles' requires addon 'SLX_Vehicles'

huh.gif then game loads.. and i knw it wasnt just me getting this a clan mate also did. smile_o.gif

Thanks Solus & Co, will download and try it out tonight!

/KC

great job on the mod, but where can we get the 1/09 patch needed for this mod? all I saw was a beta patch that didnt work..so... help please  whistle.gif

The 1.09 patch is a beta too.

If I read correctly this mod works for any version 1.09 or higher.

You can find all patches listed here.  (I know, I know smile_o.gif )

thanks, but when i try to start the normal 1.09 beta it tells me that "addon CA_HOTFIX requires addon CAA10" and than the game is buggy, like no recoil for guns and stuff...I have the 1.08 version, so should i delete the 1.09 beta and install a higher version? (what version do you have BTW)

Thanks. welcome.gif

very interesting features in this mod but too much lag , if there would be a option to enable or disbale some options like ecs mod and if the lag could be reduced ,it would be a must have thumbs-up.gif