Sign in to follow this  
SaBrE_UK

ArmA 2 Press Coverage

The screens and the video (snippet) posted today on Armaholic except with more dreadful bloom and looked hardly any different from Arma1... And it still looks like West will dominate the east in terms of everything... again. *sigh* "WIP" I know but it seems as if they are roaring about the new west units and no consideration for east, as they were in Arma1...

Ospreys, Heuys, Cobra's, F35's, A10's....

What do East get? Oh.. a Mi24... you know'. Really makes for balanced PVP online games.

Hmmm, i guess its still very early wip (I hope) so maybe those character models will just be placeholders and the general look will change in due time. I mean BI havnt released anything official so this may or may not be final.

This is relativelly old sshots (about 6 months old ), there will be some new soon due summer.

i see nothing different then ArmA huh.gif.

now, what matters is substance not form. But if BIS does not optimize and improve phisics in ArmA II, a franchise will live up to see its own death.

hopefully...i still have faith in BIS!.

edit: after Oharas post

still...i would like to read what's different then ArmA rather then see.

Thanks for that clarification Ohara, nice to see some official input now and then. I do like the look of that aircraft interior, guessing osprey?

check the guy with the plain m16 in the center of this pic

http://www.armaholic.com/pfs.php?m=view&v=4-gamenavigator_7.jpg

still problems in the graphics are on, and the requirments are too high. From the visual aspect NOTHING has changed, and i think from what they said the game will be more arcadish ase they want to make accessible to more ppl = $$$

whatever if things doesnt tragicaly change i dont think theres a reason to spend 50 euros on this one, it a joke why buy both arma and arma2? what i see is taking some things from VBS some things from the community, realese arma with a 2 after the name and u got the sequel....

check the guy with the plain m16 in the center of this pic

http://www.armaholic.com/pfs.php?m=view&v=4-gamenavigator_7.jpg

still problems in the graphics are on, and the requirments are too high. From the visual aspect NOTHING has changed, and i think from what they said the game will be more arcadish ase they want to make accessible to more ppl = $$$

whatever if things doesnt tragicaly change i dont think theres a reason to spend 50 euros on this one, it a joke why buy both arma and arma2? what i see is taking some things from VBS some things from the community, realese arma with a 2 after the name and u got the sequel....

Ohara said the screen's are relatively old. I too would like to 'read' more than I see. It's not like OFP2 where we don't know what the game will even kinda-sorta look like. With these screens the visuals may be different 6+ months later, but at least we 'kinda-sorta' know what they are. I think text is much more important at this point. I just hope you guys over at BIS are going to have equal units in terms of teams like from OFP.

T80 = Abrams

T72 = M60

BMP = M2A2

Not like in Arma, where the T72 instead of going against the M60 has to go against the almighty Abrams. I hope that West will not have 5 air units to East's 1 also, like in Arma1.

I hope they fix a few things i have noticed...

Hands going through M203 barrel and other gun larger than M4/M16/Ak74

Able to move while reloading or swapping to handgun or rifle

East won't just have Mi-24 they will have KA-52 and hopefully they add a new 5th gen or 4.5 gen aircraft for East like SU-47 Berkut or Su-37 Terminator

East won't just have Mi-24 they will have KA-52 and hopefully they add a new 5th gen or 4.5 gen aircraft for East like SU-47 Berkut or Su-37 Terminator

Even the aircraft they are using today are better than what's present in Armed Assault 1.

L-39C's, Mi-2's, Mig29's.

Quote[/b] ]T80 = Abrams

T72 = M60

BMP = M2A2

Bah... no way those vehicles are irl not that "equal" to each other. Only arcady fps players want such ridiculous 1:1 balancing.

Hope to see some more info updates on arma2.com aswell in devblog. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]the requirments are too high. From the visual aspect NOTHING has changed,
Quote[/b] ] Posted on July 08 2008,14:57i see nothing different then ArmA huh.gif. [...] i would like to read what's different then ArmA rather then see.

Ahem... I would kindly advise some people to consult for an eye-check. Did you see the density of the forest ? the grass ? the trees ? the fog ? the vehicles ?

Sure, the overall look is similar, and the units seem still straight from Arma 1, but saying nothing has changed is a blatant exageration. They are obviously concentrating on optimizing the environment at the moment (and it shows).

And I must disagree on the other point : I prefer to SEE what's different rather than BE TOLD how cool or different it will be some day, hopefully, maybe, eventually, if it all goes along the plan... (hint at OFP2, and former Game2 demo). Words are cheap and the proof is in the pudding.

Quote[/b] ]T80 = Abrams

T72 = M60

BMP = M2A2

Bah... no way those vehicles are irl not that "equal" to each other. Only arcady fps players want such ridiculous 1:1 balancing.

Hope to see some more info updates on arma2.com aswell in devblog. smile_o.gif

When I was comparing those, those tanks weren't even 1:1.. but they made for a challenging fight against another human opponent on the other team. I'm sorry but when the Abrams in Arma1 is nearly 2x as powerful as the easts best tank... That's BS for PVP combat. I have no problem with non-perfect ratio's, however.. the Current ratio in Armed Assault1 is on a scale relatively near 6:1 in terms of West/East unit/weapons/vehicles... Now if that's not messed up I don't know what is.

Thx ohara Im feeling better now biggrin_o.gif I think only in Leipzig we can see really stable content and could judge then  wink_o.gif

I have no problem with non-perfect ratio's, however.. the Current ratio in Armed Assault1 is on a scale relatively near 6:1 in terms of West/East unit/weapons/vehicles... Now if that's not messed up I don't know what is.

Its always been like that though, thats why east always out numbered the west, but in MP maps [pvp] they did not take into accounct that the east should of had more units etc.

Plus the SLA is not the Russian Army, so they didnt have access to top notch equitment.

I have no problem with non-perfect ratio's, however.. the Current ratio in Armed Assault1 is on a scale relatively near 6:1 in terms of West/East unit/weapons/vehicles... Now if that's not messed up I don't know what is.

Its always been like that though, thats why east always out numbered the west, but in MP maps [pvp] they did not take into accounct that the east should of had more units etc.

Plus the SLA is not the Russian Army, so they didnt have access to top notch equitment.

I understand that but it doesn't (imo) make it good pvp to have one team completely stomping over the other team. BIS knows that the core aspect of their game(s) has always been online PVP so I guess I dispute that they simply didn't remember to take into account online PVP. If the other team doesn't have as many units, at least make them able to fight against their opponent...I know East/SLA/Russia has always been the underdog but jeeze..It's worked in the past with OFP but now it's like the West is beating up the handicapped kid..

well i don't understand the moaning about units, cause as i see it BIs just makes the units , vehicles suitable after their campaign this time smile_o.gif and not just whats cool to make.

I am not and never said anything about BIS making "Cool" units to appease their fans. I'm saying that considering the core gameplay element is online. As such, East/West should be at least be at par with each other in terms of firepower and/or units.

This is relativelly old sshots (about 6 months old ), there will be some new soon due summer.

Thats good to hear. Although the Landscapes/Foliage/Grass are looking really great, and same goes for the improved textures of the vehicles and stuff.

However i can only second what the other people are "demanding" and thats really improvement in the engine itself, rather than only visual improvements.

This time, time should be spend on little details and MASSIVE engine improvements, make things properly!

You guys can do it, you proved it with OFP and Resistance, so there is still faith in you guys (i hope at least).

And if all the other programmers and team-members are as "good" as you Ohara with the Foliage and Trees/Landscape-Objects, then i see nothing what can suppress a great success with million of copies sold.

I just hope that after the Games-Con., you'll start to "invest" more in to PR, its really a shame that in some already mentioned Game-Portals, no entry is set for Arma2 - especially in the billion-dollar gaming market USA!

Regards, Christian

Victor the core element is not only mp neither is it only pvp.

Why should there be:

Quote[/b] ]East/West should be at least be at par with each other in terms of firepower and/or units.

Thats make imho no sense M1A1 tanks have their pro/cons aswell the T72 same goes with rifles or AT weapons etc. Maybe you should ask mission designer too for pvp balancing support.

Hope to see some modern russian multirole fighters and ground vehicles in next ArmA2 official news.

Quote[/b] ]ArmA 2 is set in the near future, year 2009...

Personally I don’t see anything wrong with the way things look right now visually. But then again I suppose I am one of those "losers" who think that the visuals in ArmA 1 are actually pretty, although they are not as atmospheric as OFP which is obviously something that BIS is already improving.

Now what is important to me is in the picture were everyone was whining about the hand clipping issue, it is actually the second or third published screen in which we see soldiers clinging next to or hiding behind an armored vehicle for cover. So some of us for the second/third time wish that this is actual AI behavior not just a pre-arranged screen shot.

So some of us for the second/third time wish that this is actual AI behavior not just a pre-arranged screen shot.

And some of us (*points at himself*) are afraid that is too much to hope for. confused_o.gif

well i don't understand the moaning about units, cause as i see it BIs just makes the units , vehicles suitable after their campaign this time  smile_o.gif  and not just whats cool to make.

its not about coolness its about PvP

So some of us for the second/third time wish that this is actual AI behavior not just a pre-arranged screen shot.

And some of us (*points at himself*) are afraid that is too much to hope for. confused_o.gif

Same here, I already gave up on that and I'm just looking for visual faults like clipping.

Thats good to hear. Although the Landscapes/Foliage/Grass are looking really great, and same goes for the improved textures of the vehicles and stuff.

However i can only second what the other people are "demanding" and thats really improvement in the engine itself, rather than only visual improvements.

This time, time should be spend on little details and MASSIVE engine improvements, make things properly!

You guys can do it, you proved it with OFP and Resistance, so there is still faith in you guys (i hope at least).

And if all the other programmers and team-members are as "good" as you Ohara with the Foliage and Trees/Landscape-Objects, then i see nothing what can suppress a great success with million of copies sold.

I just hope that after the Games-Con., you'll start to "invest" more in to PR, its really a shame that in some already mentioned Game-Portals, no entry is set for Arma2 - especially in the billion-dollar gaming market USA!

Regards, Christian

Good post mr.g-c... its almost always about how the game looks, and very seldom about engine/gameplay improvements. Its kinda funny since thats the one area where ArmA1 was really dated, and where ArmA2 needs the most improvement to be a success.