Sign in to follow this  
SaBrE_UK

ArmA 2 Press Coverage

Distant terrain already looks amazing... Looking foreward to more current screens.

Victor the core element is not only mp neither is it only pvp.

Why should there be:

Quote[/b] ]East/West should be at least be at par with each other in terms of firepower and/or units.

Thats make imho no sense M1A1 tanks have their pro/cons aswell the T72 same goes with rifles or AT weapons etc. Maybe you should ask mission designer too for pvp balancing support.

Hope to see some modern russian multirole fighters and ground vehicles in next ArmA2 official news.

Quote[/b] ]ArmA 2 is set in the near future, year 2009...

[rant]So I suppose 2 years later people are still playing the same (dreadful) campaign over and over again? I don't know how anyone thinks PVP is not a core element...and if you were indicating that I was saying its the "only" element, have no idea where you are getting this information. As for "why" the sides should be at least at par with eachother, I've already explained numerous times...

West Vs. East.

M1A1 Vs. T72 head on --> M1A1 always wins.

Javelin Vs. Tank & RPG Vs. Tank past visual view distance --> Javelin always wins.

AH-6's Vs. Nothing on east comparable --> Who do you think wins?

MH-6's Vs. Nothing on east comparable ---> Who do you think wins?

A10s Vs. Nothing on east comparable ---> Who do you think wins?

The SU and Harrier I guess are close enough..

Who ever says thats fair is fooling themselves. I can only hope east gets at least one quarter the attention it did for Arma1. I only say this because BIS has only been boasting West units... like for example:

UH-1Ys, MV-22 Ospreys, F35Bs, Naval Carriers, Predators, C130s.. Cmon!!! Oh and east, have your little Mi24 and go play with your new toy in the corner... Now I'll give Bis the benefit of the doubt and say that the east will have more than 2 units to west's 15 trillion because the game is still very much a work in progress. Unless those 2 units for east can shoot automatic nuclear ballistic missles. I mean, what are people to do online in pvp matches when it comes to vehicles for east? [/rant]

Arma2 Air Units

I know BIS is working hard on Arma2 and I love their work... but I'm sick and tired of being east and being stuck with insanely less significant firepower as so they are really no match for West. All I can say was OFP did a swell job at making things fair for both sides, even with West at the technical advantage - east still had a chance.

Balance can come with numbers vs quality, for example.

If ArmA 2 seeks for realism, pure balance is not possible nor wanted.

Balance should be achieved by other means, that's where proper mission making gets important

Balance can come with numbers vs quality, for example.

If ArmA 2 seeks for realism, pure balance is not possible nor wanted.

Balance should be achieved by other means, that's where proper mission making gets important

True but imho that just creates an obstacle many mission makers could do without, especially new non-skilled mission makers. I don't dispute that quality of units can replace the quantity needed to keep both sides at least in the same ballpark within each other.

I agree with Victor here: there should be a hell lot more vehicles for the Russian, rather than old and forgotten vehicles. Same goes for US. Mind that even if the campaign is US only, a very big part of arma is based in MP, tourneys, etc (pvp and coops) and even if the vehicles should NOT be by any means equivalent, and there should be some advantages and disadvantages, they can have similar abilities:

US additions:

Bradleys (m2a2 or m2a3, together with the m6 Linebacker)

LAV-25

East additions:

Mi28N (it is used on a larger scale than the ka52 anyways)

Tunguska

Sukhoi SU-30/27 - it is the same family with the current arma su34

Sukhoi Su-25 Frogfoot

BTR-80/90 IFVs

T-80/T-90 MBTs

Come on... from your link, East side will have An-2 ? and west has nothing comparable, even remotely....

OK, sorry, just joking...

US market can sell a lot of copies of the game, so its always a wise choice to put some fancy new US stuff. Plus, don't forget they have all the latest gadgets first (Convertible ospreys, UAVs...)

Note : The Ka 52 is a Ka 50 in that link too...

come on guys its just old Wip. pics im sure Bis has more units locked up in their basement ready to roll out wink_o.gif

come on guys its just old Wip. pics im sure Bis has more units locked up in their basement ready to roll out  wink_o.gif

And thats based on....? You do know what they say about assumption, right? Not to say there might not be more, just its never a good idea to assume, as it leads to dissapointment.

As for the lack of East units... isn't the campaign not going to be against the Russians, but rather a former Russian supported state? If so, in reality the Opfor in the game wouldn't have access to all the new equipment the Russians have, and likely would be out guned by the superior US force.

While there is a good argument that the multiplayer should be balanced, the campaign is probly the main thing on the devs mind and likely driving what vehicles make the game. For better ot for worst, its most likely going to be up to the modders to make the MP balanced....

Some of Arma2's vehicles look like they were simply taken from VBS2 and plopped into Arma.

VBS2_134.jpg

+ The UH-1 + the

+
... perhaps I'm mistaken if BIS does not make individualized vehicles for different nations... but it seems to me the vehicles in VBS2 are simply finding a copy/paste way over.

While they're are it, perhaps we'll get some of the

...like idk, the real time mission editor.  whistle.gif

It's nothing new that BIS takes some "addons" from BIA (anyhow you call it). I would like to remind MIG in ArmA (taken from Game2) or latest Desert Marines directly from VBS2. In fact it doesn't matter where is it from, the matter is how good it is smile_o.gif

I'm just hoping that if the addons were taken from VBS2, that they opened up time to work on the East.

Some of Arma2's vehicles look like they were simply taken from VBS2 and plopped into Arma.

...but it seems to me the vehicles in VBS2 are simply finding a copy/paste way over.

This pic prove's that the UH-1 predates VBS2 wink_o.gif Same goes for the rest of the content complained about.

...but it seems to me the vehicles in VBS2 are simply finding a copy/paste way over.

This pic prove's that the UH-1 predates VBS2 wink_o.gif Same goes for the rest of the content complained about.

Hmm, perhaps I'm a little confused by the link. If I'm understanding this correctly, that pic was made for "Game2" (shows it under the screenshot). However, VBS2 predates "Game2"... so doesn't that negate your statement? I may be totally confused right now and may not have understood this correctly... If you were suggesting that the choppers were actually different, can you point out those differences for me? The vehicle looks to have the exact same texturing and everything.. all the way down to the dirt even. The only thing different (from what I can see) is the lighting used to show the addon.

wink_o.gif

Animation blending is a feature of the Euphoria SDK, a third-party set of routines to handle transitions between animations regardless of where the blending happens.

So if you are getting out your rocket launcher and get hit by small arms fire, the animation would blend between getting the launcher and the death animation.

I know that BIS are adverse to using middleware due to the cost, but they have a working alternative to speedtree and I am confident that they could also pull this one off as well.

However, VBS2 predates "Game2"...

Does it? Really? Are you sure?

yes thats true

yes thats true

I'm pretty sure DM was being sarcastic! tounge2.gif

I think the first Game 2 screenshots were shown publicly before VBS2 development started.

yes thats true

Really? Are YOU sure?

Quote[/b] ]I'm pretty sure DM was being sarcastic!
whistle.gifwink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Big Edit: much more high resolution screens i find:

here!!

wow_o.gif  wow_o.gif  thumbs-up.gif some screeens are nice, but some of them looks  to much like ArmA  to me sad_o.gif

smile_o.gif

But...

This is relativelly old sshots (about 6 months old ), there will be some new soon due summer.

So, stay tuned biggrin_o.gif

did you see the bullets on the soldier's backpack?They are just textures not 3d models. confused_o.gif

Did you read what Ohara (Lead Artist from Bohemia Interactive) wrote?

Quote[/b] ]

This is relativelly old sshots (about 6 months old ), there will be some new soon due summer

Everyone who has followed ArmA from the beginning knew, how the characters have changed during the development. After this what Ohara wrote, I'm sure, that the same will be with ArmA II. The textures on the characters (or the bullets) will be better.

did you see the bullets on the soldier's backpack?They are just textures not 3d models.  confused_o.gif

lol, so? Making them in 3d is a huge tax, it'd be probably a few thousands triangles, plus it would clip and in the end it wouldn't look as good as it does now.