Sign in to follow this  
Voidworm

ArmA 2 on PlayStation 3

Voidworm:

Uhm, I am not sure, but there would be maybe some problems with the aiming and floating zone system on the PS3 or Xbox. And that would be a minus. Havent played Elite so I dont realy know how it is handled.

In Operation Flashpoint: Elite the controls are handled well. Bohemia implemented a very limited amount of auto-aim when you are firing from the hip and no auto-aim at all when you are using scopes or iron sights. The stick calibration was fairly nice as well, and actually made flying and driving vehicles very fun and immersive.

One really cool thing about Elite's control setup was that Bohemia kept full squad control in the game. You could use the D-Pad on the controller to bring up the command menu and assign units to specific tasks, set up color coded squads, and even use the map to pinpoint specific objectives. Elite's squad command is still by far the best squad command system in a console game.

As for the PlayStation 3, I think Bohemia might actually be able to utilize some SixAxis motion controls for obvious things like flying and driving, but also for things like quick squad commands and/or hand signals.

They shouldn't have to change the game to cater to a different gamer.  The console is not the stupid person's platform.  They might have to adjust controls for streamlining, but not change the game to simplify it or make it easier.

There are plenty of strategic games on the PS3.  Some companies just choose to go to the lowest common denominator to hope to attract the most buyers.

PS3 for Arma2!?! confused_o.gif I hope so.

They shouldn't have to change the game to cater to a different gamer.  The console is not the stupid person's platform.  They might have to adjust controls for streamlining, but not change the game to simplify it or make it easier.

There are plenty of strategic games on the PS3.  Some companies just choose to go to the lowest common denominator to hope to attract the most buyers.

I think some of the arguments that PC owners come up with, really make them come across like stupid.

I think some of the arguments that PC owners come up with, really make them come across like stupid.

Hey guess what, I am a PC Gamer and I own a PS3.

wow_o.gif

Shock horror!

if this game came out on PS3 i will buy it for both PS3 and PC,

PS3 to play online with friends, and PC to play with the addons.

if this game came out on PS3 i will buy it for both PS3 and PC,

PS3 to play online with friends, and PC to play with the addons.

I wouldn't mind picking up both versions of ArmA 2 as well. If Bohemia could manage to get addon importing to work in the PlayStation 3 version, then I'd like to get the PC version to make addons and import them on the PS3.

it seems to me like they will most likely bring the game out on PC and maybe xbox at the same time, then decide whether to go for porting to PS3(due to it being further from a pc in terms of architecture). the other possibility could be that they stagger the three with the pc one coming out first.

they are very unlikely to drop the idea of console versions unless they really have to, they have what looks to be a game which could challenge codies on the consoles as well as pc.

I think the 360 version would be the most likely considering the easier port from PC. If they have the manpower it would be great to see what they could do with the PS3 because that's the one I would prefer.

I think it would be nice for a PS3 version also. If there was a PS3 release, I would buy the game for PC, AND PS3. The thing is. Sony is very picky about who releases games on their system. And Blu-Ray is quite expensive, escpecially for a small company such as Bohemia Interactive PS3 would be able to support many of the features though, because you could iclude the Mission editor ingame, and not be worried if anyone has enough a big enough HDD, since PS3 HDD's only go to 20Gigs up to 160Gigs, i have an 80gig with about 20gigs free. So you could install the "Additinal Content" if you have enough space on the PS3 which could include things liek the mission editor etc.. But if it doesn't come out for PS3, I'll just get OFP2 and try it out.... Yet, I'll still play ArmA II on my PC. Sorry for making you read so much.

I dont care.

If it means more players on a server then maybe after a year or two,but dont bother if its too much work.

If someone wants to play arma then they can bloodywell fork out for a decent gaming rig like the rest of us.

Lousey bluray toting,battlefield playing ,mofo's that they are.

I dont care.

If it means more players on a server then maybe after a year or two,but dont bother if its too much work.

If someone wants to play arma then they can bloodywell fork out for a decent gaming rig like the rest of us.

Lousey bluray toting,battlefield playing ,mofo's that they are.

I have a high end gaming rig already. I jsut think it would be nice to see it on the PS3 too. smile_o.gif

Hi all

If People want a PS3 release of ArmA then:

1) they should post here

2) They should call for ArmA to be ported to PS3 on the PS3 forums

3) They should encourage PS3 users to post here from their forums.

Kind regards walker

I think the 360 version would be the most likely considering the easier port from PC. If they have the manpower it would be great to see what they could do with the PS3 because that's the one I would prefer.

I agree. I don't think a PS3 release is feasible for BIS. The market is relatively small and the development cost/time is a lot higher/longer than for the Xbox360.

The PC release is the bread and butter. An Xbox360 port will most likely turn some additional profit, ergo it's a rational choice business-wise. This has nothing to do with the age old "which console is better" competition, nonwithstanding the fact that a company the size of Bohemia most likely doesn't have the resources to develop a game for PS3's more complicated platform architecture.

It would be nice if this thread could be stikied as well because attention is slowly turning towards the speculation of the releases on the consoles.

Thanks in advance

Perhaps a merge is in order, or a name change from X360 to Consoles?

Another PS3 and PC user here. I want to be able to play ArmA with my friends on PS3, but I like my dedicated PC setup.

The benefit of going on PS3 is that you can use addons on it, UT3 for PS3 was able to run mods and custom maps on it.

I agree. I don't think a PS3 release is feasible for BIS. The market is relatively small and the development cost/time is a lot higher/longer than for the Xbox360.

The PC release is the bread and butter. An Xbox360 port will most likely turn some additional profit, ergo it's a rational choice business-wise. This has nothing to do with the age old "which console is better" competition, nonwithstanding the fact that a company the size of Bohemia most likely doesn't have the resources to develop a game for PS3's more complicated platform architecture.

Exactly. I am a PC/PS3'er. But I just don't see this coming to the PS3 platform. The PS3 is more than capable of handling ArmA II. Based on past ports of other games, those ports didn't do too well.

The "Big guys" are just now getting their heads around the PS3 BE CELL. Look at Rainbow Six Vegas vs. Far Cry 2. Night and Day in product quality. Both by Ubisoft Montreal. I cursed Ubisoft until I saw Far Cry. Which is ok, and the map editor is great.

The PS3 at this time is just not worth the cost vs reward to BI, IMHO. May be ArmA III.

Exactly. I am a PC/PS3'er. But I just don't see this coming to the PS3 platform. The PS3 is more than capable of handling ArmA II. Based on past ports of other games, those ports didn't do too well.

The "Big guys" are just now getting their heads around the PS3 BE CELL. Look at Rainbow Six Vegas vs. Far Cry 2. Night and Day in product quality. Both by Ubisoft Montreal. I cursed Ubisoft until I saw Far Cry. Which is ok, and the map editor is great.

The PS3 at this time is just not worth the cost vs reward to BI, IMHO. May be ArmA III.

The market for PS3 is dominated by japan, PS3 did sell 21million units, but most of it in Japan, and their gaming culture is alot different then US and Europe, (weird manga rpgs)

The market for PS3 is dominated by japan, PS3 did sell 21million units, but most of it in Japan, and their gaming culture is alot different then US and Europe, (weird manga rpgs)

Its the priceticket of the PS3 that is holding ppl back to buy this console ...

But see it this way: the cheapiest blue ray player is around 400 € , 450 USD... so actually you get the console for free, ty sony!

PS: there r also a lot of PS3 gamers aroud the east and westcoast of north america!

Edited by MDVizzy

The console market in general SCREAMS for a game like ArmA II. There is a large group of ummm how should I say, "mature" gamers, like myself who want this type of play. Nothing more irritating then seeing some Yahoo, bunny hopping all over a map, and running around fragging everything in sight.

Be thankful Xbox guys if you get this.

In fact in contrary. Mature console gamers do buy PC to play on. Vide sales of Race Pro compared to Race 07. Those who seek complex entertainment do not look forward an arcade systems.

I my self became fed up of bunny hopping, nade spamming 7 year olds who says they have "skills" in games such as call of duty and toher uch games which is why i moved back to ArmA.

My main worrys is that if ArmA2 comes to the PS3 or Xbox than these 7 year olds will find it far to complicated for their small minds or will think that they are so super skilled that they are practiclly soldiers.

Both of these worry me but i do feel if it was to come to either of tehese platforms the PS3 although holding a smaller player base, hasd a much more mature and older player base.

At least i belive this True innthe UK.

I my self became fed up of bunny hopping, nade spamming 7 year olds who says they have "skills" in games such as call of duty and toher uch games which is why i moved back to ArmA.

My main worrys is that if ArmA2 comes to the PS3 or Xbox than these 7 year olds will find it far to complicated for their small minds or will think that they are so super skilled that they are practiclly soldiers.

Both of these worry me but i do feel if it was to come to either of tehese platforms the PS3 although holding a smaller player base, hasd a much more mature and older player base.

At least i belive this True innthe UK.

You think 7 year olds r gonna stop BI from producing an PS3 version? By the way, let them play the game as they want to.

I'll be there to put a bullet between their eyes.

Since this will be a war sim nd not an arcade game, you wont be having trouble with those kind of gamers.

One shot, one kill ...:)

One shot, one kill ...:)

Bingo, this is the chance to get our revenge *evil laugh* :y:

Bingo, this is the chance to get our revenge *evil laugh* :y:

I think its funny that 2 ppl can put several bullets into eachother but still can shoot without problem untill their 'healthbar' runs out xd just think of it