Sign in to follow this  
Voidworm

ArmA 2 on PlayStation 3

i really hope they don't cancel or scrap the idea of releasing this on PS3, as i own one myself.

i do not want to spend too much on a pc just to be able to play this decently.

Hi all

IF PS3 owners realy want to see it maybe Sony should offer to publish it on PS3.

Kind Regards walker

i hope for PS3 owners that BIS wil eventually create ArmA 2 for PS3.

But i'm afraid of technical limitations, that they will limit the game severely,

meaning: making it different.

The PS3 has only 256megabyte RAM, so i cannot believe a true 1:1

port will be doable.

An Xbox version is more feasible, because an Xbox360 has 512ram.

But i still think they are greatly going to limit amounts of AI and/or objects/mapsize to make the running game fit in 512 Ram.

Don't flame me, just reasonable thinking here.

i hope for PS3 owners that BIS wil eventually create ArmA 2 for PS3.

But i'm afraid of technical limitations, that they will limit the game severely,

meaning: making it different.

The PS3 has only 256megabyte RAM, so i cannot believe a true 1:1

port will be doable.

An Xbox version is more feasible, because an Xbox360 has 512ram.

But i still think they are greatly going to limit amounts of AI and/or objects/mapsize to make the running game fit in 512 Ram.

Don't flame me, just reasonable thinking here.

your PS3 has:

256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz

256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

But PS3 architecture made it very difficult for developers to make games on the PS3 because your memory are in two different places!

Virus and hacking problems are non-existant on PCs if you aren't stupid about what you do. People who get nasty stuff that kills their computers are the same people who think its a good idea to jog at night through a dimly lit part of a bad town.

your PS3 has:

256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz

256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

But PS3 architecture made it very difficult for developers to make games on the PS3 because your memory are in two different places!

Videoram is for framebuffer and shaders friend, not for gamelogic, therefore

the VRAM does not matter.

Another thing: the PS3 sdk uses opengl while Xbox 360 uses directx, making it much easier to port to Xbox then. The PS3 graphics renderer of the engine has to be rewritten for a big part, while on Xbox it will take considerably (spelling?) less time to port.

On the other hand, a PS3 always has a harddrive to stream data off, while xbox360 does not always have a harddrive (ie. arcade edition), so the developers have to fit the whole game in 512 ram, without the assumption

to be able to stream from harddrive.

It will provide serious development challenges on either console, that's for sure. If they can pull it off on any of the 2 consoles without serious downscaling of maximum AI/objects or the size of the map, i will be nothing

less than surprised! :)

I hope they do, cuz i don't care about console vs pc or PS3 vs xbox flamewars.

BTW, i own a pc, not a console :)

will there be mission editor and will it be scaled down a little bit from the PC version? And when will it be out for the US? thx

There is no plan for them to release this for the PS3, so short answer is no.

IGN does nothing but shotgun blast info to all the systems. Take anything you see on IGN with a grain of salt. ArmA 2 is not coming to the PS3. I'm a PS3 owner as well.

It would be interesting to know why BIS is not creating a 360 / PS3 version. I'm assuming they tried, but saw that the hardware just couldn't handle it.

It would be interesting to know why BIS is not creating a 360 / PS3 version. I'm assuming they tried, but saw that the hardware just couldn't handle it.

That and military simulators are absolutely awful on the consoles.

Not true. the 360 controller works better in this game than Kb/ and mouse, i use it.

You honestly have an easier time ordering around units with the 360 controller?

You honestly have an easier time ordering around units with the 360 controller?

I honestly dont think its at all possible to play the game as an infantry man with a controller at all. There are just way way too many buttons. Maybe if you use it for flying.

I suppose it's a matter of preference, but try this experiment DieterWeber:

Pick a small spot on your screen - just a few pixels. Move your cursor to that exact spot as quickly as you can with a mouse. Now do the same with an analog stick on a gamepad. I'd be amazed if you could do it as quickly and accurately, no matter how accustomed you are to a gamepad.

...and to further Radioactive's point, compare the number of buttons on a gamepad to the number of keys on a keyboard (particularly a gaming keyboard).

I'm not trying to sound like a PC-snob but you have to admit, it is a far more sophisticated method of control while playing infantry.

Of course there are also certain things that a keyboard and mouse aren't very good with, such as flight.

[Edit]

I honestly dont think its at all possible to play the game as an infantry man with a controller at all. There are just way way too many buttons.

Other way around, you mean? I would say there aren't enough, personally.

Edited by Finios

Why doesn´t BI answer the speculations about ARMA2 arriving on consoles?

It´s quite strange some well know gamesites still seem to think arma2 will arrive on consoles if BI nuked those plans months ago.

Both the Xbox360 and this PS3 thread are useless if the game will never be ported to one or both of these consoles, and the threads seem to maintain focus on PC vs console "bashings" instead of the usefull information it could hold.

Since this is the official BI forum, I would expect an official statement about Arma2 being ported to consoles instead of forum members describing the ups and downs of such ports and it´s presumed playability

Without the real info nobody will know which steps to take as far as saving up for a new rig or completely bailing on arma2 are concerned.

Hope it all will be answered soon...

I honestly dont think its at all possible to play the game as an infantry man with a controller at all.
Could this perhaps explain why there is no ArmA2/360-PS3 ... i mean, if all BIS devs would think the same there is simply no use for a ARMA2 on consoles.

when people say arma2 wouldnt be able to fit everything in a console why cant they just make it multi disced? 1 disc has the main campaign and multiplayer while the other has the mission editor and everything else in thats in Arma2.

when people say arma2 wouldnt be able to fit everything in a console why cant they just make it multi disced? 1 disc has the main campaign and multiplayer while the other has the mission editor and everything else in thats in Arma2.

The pc version is only a little over 8 gb's. They could fit it on a dvd easy....

The game could work perfectly on consoles. I've been using the 360 controller in multiplayer and doing great. Killing people with keyboard and mouse.

they better port it on consoles and leave everything alone. why tone it done? make it multi disced if you cant fit everything! i really want it on the PS3 cause i play multiplayer games on the PS3 not the 360.

I don't even think this game should touch consoles. I just don't think i would be able to handle the fact that this game would be turned into another COD on console with little kids running around yelling at their parents while shooting people.

it wont be turned into another COD. look at the Americas Army games. some were on the Xbox and they were like simulator games. 1 shot one kill in them and you cant run and gun.

I don't even think this game should touch consoles. I just don't think i would be able to handle the fact that this game would be turned into another COD on console with little kids running around yelling at their parents while shooting people.
You seem to imply that software code morphs into other code (arma2 code becomes codmw code) when put on console hw ... lol ... you saw too many scifi movies i'm afraid